The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

anyone that thinks any team in the very competitive EPL should be winning every encounter is delusional - I don't expect it from MU or any other team

Wolves played a blinder and deserved the win on the day, Arsenal game was a possible win with almost 3 goals scored hitting the woodwork twice, overall since Ole took over it has been a mighty turnaround, I am enthusiastic going forward

14 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

It proves the exact point I've been trying to make nev. United hardly dropped off that top 10 in all those years. Therefore, you had been spending big money on players for about 18 years before City entered into it (even taking into account your class of 92). You already had a good foundation that all you needed to do was add a player here and there and yet you still finish 3rd on the list. We had to almost start from scratch when obviously top players are about 10 times more expensive than they were in 1992.

Revenues are 10 times higher since 1992 but best not say anymore 

15 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Revenues are 10 times higher since 1992 but best not say anymore 

Don't forget mate... Der Spiegal could soon reveal lots of other PL clubs with serious financial irregularities. It's just at the moment only Man City are being investigated by the FA, UEFA, FIFA, and the Premier League. But I'm sure other clubs will be soon won't they? 

Several troll and hijacking the topic posts removed. Any more and warnings will be issued. I try to let banter go as much as possible but please self moderate yourself.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

On 3/19/2019 at 2:00 AM, RickG16 said:

Don't forget mate... Der Spiegal could soon reveal lots of other PL clubs with serious financial irregularities. It's just at the moment only Man City are being investigated by the FA, UEFA, FIFA, and the Premier League. But I'm sure other clubs will be soon won't they? 

that's a lot of authorities on their case. The FA, UEFA, the PL and FIFa  Quadruple is on

7 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

that's a lot of authorities on their case. The FA, UEFA, the PL and FIFa  Quadruple is on

You're not allowed to say anything tongue in cheek mate. Could get you in hot water on here. 

Well done Ole!

Bit odd how we have confirmed this after two straight defeats, but maybe best not to let it linger any further. I hope the players won't get complacent now and that this announcement will have a positive effect. 

7 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Well done Ole!

Bit odd how we have confirmed this after two straight defeats, but maybe best not to let it linger any further. I hope the players won't get complacent now and that this announcement will have a positive effect. 

????????

• Like 1

Don't understand why this announcement, that most of us expected, was not made at the start of the International break so that we would now be at the tail end of the media circus surrounding it rather than the start especially on the eve of another important match but so be it.

Lot of work to be done and disappointed that United still dont seem to have a Director of Football in place.In these times Managers have a lot on their plate and none more thaqn a United Manager that has to be available for meetings with Ed Woodwards stable of minor sponsors who all will want to meet Ole.

OGS I feel is sometimes too accomodating with the media,answering repetitive questions over and over.

He will be well aware of rebuilding this squad and needs Phelan back from the Central Coast Mariners in Australia where Usain Bolt tried, and failed, to make an impression,CCM are cellar dwellers and the season is all but over and am sure they will not stand in Phelans way for a quick return.

Firstly something that needs to be addressed is the injury situation which seems to be a season after season issue.10 players out at one time leaving  barely a squad of senior players supplemented by Academy players.

Rojo has played one game all season.Valencia and Darmien 8 games between them and Jones another season riddled by absence ,this time 6 weeks due to an unspecified illness ? So OGS has to bite the bullet and move them on.

Against Wolves who played the last 8 games with the same team Martial ,Mata ,Herrara,Matic, lingard were obviously not match fit and Rashford was  carrying an ankle injury but still went away with England,thats not on. Matic has a recurence of his injury so training methods and treatment need addressing

So some new faces must come in ,De Gea re signing is major and decisions re extensions to contracts to be made on the likes of Herrara ,Mata etc.

Going to a long, bumpy ride for OGS with many wishing him to fail but not the United faithfull.

13 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Don't understand why this announcement, that most of us expected, was not made at the start of the International break so that we would now be at the tail end of the media circus surrounding it rather than the start especially on the eve of another important match but so be it.

I think the answer is so they could combine the announcement press conference with the pre-Watford game press conference - the idea being the less probing questions the better, especially when we have lost two on the bounce.

On your other points.... I think  the likes of Darmian and Rojo will be among the deadwood which might be cleared out at the end of the season. I'd expect Herrera to get a new contract, with Mata I'm not as sure. 

16 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I think the answer is so they could combine the announcement press conference with the pre-Watford game press conference - the idea being the less probing questions the better, especially when we have lost two on the bounce.

On your other points.... I think  the likes of Darmian and Rojo will be among the deadwood which might be cleared out at the end of the season. I'd expect Herrera to get a new contract, with Mata I'm not as sure. 

Maybe but the appointment carries far more interest and we will see that in the conference. Surely Valencia career is over he's been a great soldier for the club.I think Matas time has past him by,1 good game in 3 is not good enough.I forgot that Lukaau is also carrying a foot injury and Sanchez season is all but over.Lets be under no illusion there's not that many world class players out there and if they dont get CL its major turn off hence the need to fast track some of the outstanding Academy players, some who are out on loan

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

I think so, at United anyway. I'd expect there to be a few arrivals and departures this summer. Looking forward to seeing who we can bring in. 

Will they back Ole in the market I mean really back him to buy at the top end, Not just sign has beens looking for big payday or average players as we have a lot of those and good young talent to bring through.

A quality center back.

A creative midfielder.

And a right sides striker are the three areas we need improving on the most.

16 minutes ago, nev said:

And a right sides striker 

That's the most interesting one for me. I think centre back is a given, but whether we go all out for a striker will show whether or not he fancies Lukaku.

A lot could depend on how the rest of the season plays out. So much still to play for. 

31 minutes ago, nev said:

Will they back Ole in the market I mean really back him to buy at the top end, Not just sign has beens looking for big payday or average players as we have a lot of those and good young talent to bring through.

A quality center back.

A creative midfielder.

And a right sides striker are the three areas we need improving on the most.

It depends on how much control Ole personally has over the signings. I doubt that he will sign " has beens", he's already shown his faith in youth and young talent. A world class centre back is a must. A world class striker would be nice but, due to their rarity and demand for them, they don't come easy and they don't come cheap.

The real difficulty will be offloading all the overpriced dead wood that has accumulated at Old Trafford in recent years. Sanchez and Lukaku can go on top of that list.

18 minutes ago, Spidey said:

We need a CF who does set the world alight.

Agreed, but if you take a look at Lukaku's goals to games ratio you'll see he's not deadwood and has at least bought himself some more time. 

Like you or maybe someone else said, there just aren't that many buyable world class strikers about. There is one English striker in the PL of that Cole / Shearer ilk and that's Harry Kane. We have the next best in Rash. And it's not like we can go out and buy Aguero. Jimenez interests me a lot though. 

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Agreed, but if you take a look at Lukaku's goals to games ratio you'll see he's not deadwood and has at least bought himself some more time. 

Like you or maybe someone else said, there just aren't that many buyable world class strikers about. There is one English striker in the PL of that Cole / Shearer ilk and that's Harry Kane. We have the next best in Rash. And it's not like we can go out and buy Aguero. Jimenez interests me a lot though. 

Ronaldo? Suarez?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Ronaldo? Suarez?

I'm still a believer that we still have pulling power as a club.. But I think you are being unrealistic. 

And Man United buying Luis Suarez??!! I'm starting to think you've not been paying attention. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Very harsh... He's not set the world alight, but far from dead wood. 

Yeah According to wiki 28 in 61 a stat  4 many and me included  thats more than decent.. and looked to me  a stint on the bench did him the world of good .. last time i saw him thought he looked more 'up for it' than i've seen him for a while  .   sanchez martial lukaku and rashford  4 me your strike 4 is as good as anyone's in the prem.  interesting interview with  your prev dutch manager.. said you've swopped one defensive manager for another...ie sitting deep and  playing on the break he reckoned  the only diference is this ones winning. a touch of bitter grapes you could say,..  i suppose in o g s defence arguably  its what he's inherited  , but given the results and HUGE cost to change that to a high press aka city liverpool  ect is he likely to change the squad/team structure cos 2 me atm all fit and kickin its BLOODY GOOD  rhs wing bac could do with up dating but the rest.. top draw imo.

Dreadful performance ,one of the worst of the season.Midfield of Pogba ,Matic ,Herrara probably the biggest offenders,wayward passes constantly giving the ball away, just lucky Watford didnt take advanatage and the back 4 earned their pay.Jones MOM and actually got through 90 mins. Loved the ball from Shaw. Rashford pointed to where he wanted it and Shaw obliged one of the few highlights the rest was rubbish at times.

No sure what Watford were thinking in that last min free kick should have blasted it ,let United off the hook.

As I said yesterday OGS has mountain of work to do to be competive with the top teams.Need at least 4 new players and not those who are on the tail end of their career and a kick up the backside for those that are just going through the motions like last night.

• Like 1

Expect OGS to inject some pace and energy in tonights game v Wolves after last weekends insipid dispay.

Dalot,Lukaku ,Mc Tominay I think will start. Herrara is rumoured to be leaving for PSG on a free and after his display last weekend could well believe that,certainly didnt look like player seeking an extension.

Gettting so tight at the top it may well come down in the end to goal difference and United not well placed in that regard