The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, carmine said:

I haven't double checked this but if Arsenal or Chelsea were to win the Europa its going to be a case of top 3!!!  

You're wrong. So perhaps you should have double checked it. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

You're wrong. So perhaps you should have double checked it. 

btw,  Check out our new ground and then take a look at that run down pikey hoval you lot refer to a the theatre of dreams!! What a f*cking dump!! Now thats how to make a justifiable snipe!! MUG ????

Edited by carmine

Just now, carmine said:

Perhaps you would be kind enough to let us know then what the situation is!!  Rather that is than making your usual childlike snipes!!????

If a team wins the Europa League and they are in the top 4, they are rewarded with a group stage entry to the CL, rather than a place in the CL qualifying round (as was the case when United won it but finished outside the top 4).

The CL place for the Europa winners is exclusive of the four places for Premier League teams, so it does not affect those places. 

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

If a team wins the Europa League and they are in the top 4, they are rewarded with a group stage entry to the CL, rather than a place in the CL qualifying round (as was the case when United won it but finished outside the top 4).

The CL place for the Europa winners is exclusive of the four places for Premier League teams, so it does not affect those places. 

See, that wasn't difficult was it!!  Carrington's a bit of a sh*thole too for that matter compared to our new training ground facility.  Building for the future rather than languishing in the past.????

#wakeupfergusonsretired

16 minutes ago, carmine said:

I haven't double checked this but if Arsenal or Chelsea were to win the Europa its going to be a case of top 3!!!  

If a team wins the CL from outside the top 4 then the 4th spot is taken by them. If Europa is won from outside top 4 then it's a qualifying spot for CL. 

1 minute ago, BangrakBob said:

If a team wins the CL from outside the top 4 then the 4th spot is taken by them. 

Interesting... so you are saying that if United or Spurs win the Champions League and finish outside the top 4, Carmine's Europa scenario will be correct... i.e. the top 4 will become a top 3?

• Like 1

............Basically what this means is folks... United and Spurs could prevent Arsenal or Chelsea from CL qualification with a CL win. But if Arsenal or Chelsea win the Europa, it can't affect United or Spurs qualifying through 4th spot. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Interesting... so you are saying that if United or Spurs win the Champions League and finish outside the top 4, Carmine's Europa scenario will be correct... i.e. the top 4 will become a top 3?

Happened to Spurs when Chelsea won it

19 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Happened to Spurs when Chelsea won it

But that's not the only time an English team has won the CL and been the 5th best team in the country is it? ????

Correction... I remember Chels actually finished 6th that season.

Edited by RickG16

5 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

But that's not the only time an English team has won the CL and been the 5th best team in the country is it? ????

With a bang average team too who got 58 points. It can be done

Edited by BangrakBob

35 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

With a bang average team too who got 58 points. It can be done

Big difference betweek league and cup football....the cup winners cup in its day was a great tournament for that reason.

• Like 1

Man U's hiccup last night - nice for us, but I'm not getting carried away. We still have Wolves, Everton and Watford away to negotiate. I would bet on us losing at least 3 points and maybe even 5 out of that trio, given their recent good form and some prior history.

'Real' Arsenal fans breathlessley talking about finishing above Spurs? Unlikely I would say - if I were a betting man I'd favour their 5 home games over our 5 away games. I'd say its 10% likely we get 3rd, 40% we get 4th and 15% we get the Europa League. One of Spurs or Man U winning the CL - that's a less than 10 percenter IMO.

Overall that is a better than evens chance - but not by much - of a CL place for us at least (if I remember my A-level Stats course right).

• Like 1

Good to se we can focus on top 4 again without getting worried about United.  Wolves were good last night, but Fred and Smalling mistakes gave them the win. 

Maybe "Ole's off the wheel" will be the new chant at the end of the season. 

43 minutes ago, balo said:

Maybe "Ole's off the wheel" will be the new chant at the end of the season. 

Thankfully not all Norweigans are as pessimistic as you Balo! Maybe it's all that time you've spent in BKK.

• Haha 1

Just not good enough to many not good enough and need shifting on, Ole's work starts now I am sure he has a list of who is not up to scratch the hard part is shifting them at the end of the season.

That loss means we have to win all our remaining games and that includes City and Chelsea at home, Now that's a hard task.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nev said:

Just not good enough to many not good enough and need shifting on, Ole's work starts now I am sure he has a list of who is not up to scratch the hard part is shifting them at the end of the season.

That loss means we have to win all our remaining games and that includes City and Chelsea at home, Now that's a hard task.

Which players would you sell that started the game last night?

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Fred, Smalling, Jones, Young.

All not at the standard we need and have mistakes in their game.

Young was at the standard but has past his use bye date.

2 minutes ago, nev said:

Can't argue too much with that but I think all will be there next season. We won't accept such a massive loss by selling Fred so soon, unless he is seriously home sick or there is another big problem. Jones has signed an extension, and Smalling appears to be Ole's first choice right now. And can't see Young going from captain to out of the door... although it looks like that will happen to Valencia.

The ones I think most likely to go are the Spanish speakers.... Mata, Rojo and Herrera. But there could be a surprise exit... as long as they are making way for better players I don't mind. 

18 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Well, Young is past his use by date, and although I thought that Jones had a great game previously, he is injury prone and spends just as much time on the treatment table as on the pitch. 

When Rojo came on last week, I immediately thought how unfit and how out of place he looked, so he must go, and Mata is only a "fill-in player" right now. Smalling has his moments and in general has been playing fairly well of late.

Perhaps the greatest surprise for me is the form of Pogba who had a couple of good matches after Mo left, but since then has been well off the pace, not tackling back, losing the ball too often and generally looking quite lethargic. I think perhaps there is something going on behind the scenes here and wouldn't be surprised to see someone make an offer for him.

I thought Herrera played a few good games and would be sorry to see him go, however best of luck if he has other offers. I was very pleased with the form of Matic early on in the piece, however he seems to have fallen away somewhat, and one last one I haven't mentioned is Baily whose form seems to be up and down like a fiddlers elbow.

I certainly hope they don't go and look for someone like Gareth Bale, as he too is injury prone and getting near his use by date.

Quite a bit of rebuilding needed, as well as a bit of a clear out........perhaps blood more youngsters as well as search for some real talent to form the backbone of a "United of old".

1 hour ago, nev said:

Good summary to be honest. 

No team can seriously be thinking about winning the title going forwards with Jones and Smalling still getting a game. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Good summary to be honest. 

No team can seriously be thinking about winning the title going forwards with Jones and Smalling still getting a game. 

I think those two can be good squad players - English, fairly reliable, experienced at the club. If we buy 1-2 world class centre backs, then I think Rojo should be first out of the door. 

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I think those two can be good squad players - English, fairly reliable, experienced at the club. If we buy 1-2 world class centre backs, then I think Rojo should be first out of the door. 

Yes squad at best. They will always make rickets and Jones particularly looking really slow. Injuries have caught up with him. 

Im sure they will buy well and will be there or thereabouts next year 

12 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Yes squad at best. They will always make rickets and Jones particularly looking really slow. Injuries have caught up with him. 

Im sure they will buy well and will be there or thereabouts next year 

Jones turns like an oil tanker.

If he was a horse he'd be put down.

18 minutes ago, carmine said:

Jones turns like an oil tanker.

If he was a horse he'd be put down.

He can still do a job somewhere but with the pace and youth now around in abundance his day at the top level is probably over. 

12 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Does that mean West Ham are interested?

Predictable but was expecting it from someone else tbh. 

No doubt someone mid table would be interested so I guess that’s a yes. 

Edited by Kadilo

24 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Predictable but was expecting it from someone else tbh. 

No doubt someone mid table would be interested so I guess that’s a yes. 

Good summing up, a mid table player.

4 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Pessimistic as you Balo

But one player impressed me last night , Scott McTominay.  He reminds me of a young Scholes. Excellent skills, and knows where the goal is.

No need to break the budget and pay big money when you have players from your own academy  that are world class. 

26 minutes ago, balo said:

But one player impressed me last night , Scott McTominay.  He reminds me of a young Scholes. Excellent skills, and knows where the goal is.

No need to break the budget and pay big money when you have players from your own academy  that are world class. 

He's another potted shrimper like Spidey.

I always thought he looked uncomfortable with the ball but if he's another Scholes I'll have to take another  look.