The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

28 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Wolves' owner is quite a bit richer than United's. That's why they in the EPL and will be for the foreseeable. 

Don't forget, the money clubs spend needs to be proportionate revenue.

I remember QPR having an owner richer than Abramovich (maybe they still do). They didn't get on too well.

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Don't forget, the money clubs spend needs to be proportionate revenue.

I remember QPR having an owner richer than Abramovich (maybe they still do). They didn't get on too well.

The FA are only concerned with levels of debt.

Anyway I think you remember the story of Man City, 3 titles in 7 years. Played a match last night to go back to the top of the table, on the cusp of winning the league and there were less people at the match than I've seen for some time. No UEFA excuse, <deleted> weather or Corrie omnibus. They don't have the fans to support it, yet they would have won the league by Xmas for a second year running but for one team trying to hang on with them. 

Beware the Wolves...

edit: official attendance was 53K, getting in before BB

Edited by BangrakBob

5 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

The FA are only concerned with levels of debt.

Anyway I think you remember the story of Man City, 3 titles in 7 years. Played a match last night to go back to the top of the table, on the cusp of winning the league and there were less people at the match than I've seen for some time. No UEFA excuse, <deleted> weather or Corrie omnibus. They don't have the fans to support it, yet they would have won the league by Xmas for a second year running but for one team trying to hang on with them. 

Beware the Wolves...

edit: official attendance was 53K, getting in before BB

And what does an official  attendance  of 53k mean Bob? It means 53k seat tickets were sold which shoots down your snide  comment.

Think you'll also find official attendances at the etihad are higher than at Anfield, that means Bob we sell more tickets to our non-existent fans that liverpool do to your fans. 

Bob "...Man City, 3 titles in 7 years. Played a match last night to go back to the top of the table, on the cusp of winning the league...".

I see what you're doing, keeping your powder dry (Stevie and R2D2 are basically keeping off the forum so they can come back all guns blazing if you're  champions) ????

Liverpool have lost once this season - to City - it seems highly unlikely you will lose another. You have the best goals conceded and while i haven't researched it i think usually the team with  the best defence wins it. City have lost four times..we have Spurs and ManU to play and way too many games in a short period. If i was a neutral I'd put my money on liverpool.

5 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

And what does an official  attendance  of 53k mean Bob? It means 53k seat tickets were sold which shoots down your snide  comment.

Think you'll also find official attendances at the etihad are higher than at Anfield, that means Bob we sell more tickets to our non-existent fans that liverpool do to your fans. 

Call it what you want the photos and live footage don't lie. You don't have the fan base.

The point was any team can become a billionaires pet project and be successful. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Bob "...Man City, 3 titles in 7 years. Played a match last night to go back to the top of the table, on the cusp of winning the league...".

I see what you're doing, keeping your powder dry (Stevie and R2D2 are basically keeping off the forum so they can come back all guns blazing if you're  champions) ????

Liverpool have lost once this season - to City - it seems highly unlikely you will lose another. You have the best goals conceded and while i haven't researched it i think usually the team with  the best defence wins it. City have lost four times..we have Spurs and ManU to play and way too many games in a short period. If i was a neutral I'd put my money on liverpool.

Not really keeping my powder dry. I've said it a few times, your run from Palace to Burnley is a tough one, and you aren't playing that good, surely you will drop points. If we beat Saints and the Chavs we only have 4 relatively easier matches to go. However, it is yours to lose and you are a better squad and you are the Champions. 

7 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Call it what you want the photos and live footage don't lie. You don't have the fan base.

Huh...what you've got photos and live coverage of the SEAT TICKETS we sold (our official attendance) have you. Let's have look then.

53000 SEATS WERE SOLD for the rearranged fixture against an unattractive relegation team given inredible odds by the bookies on winning, on a cold day with bad snow conditions in Lancashire. 53000 SEATS WERE SOLD reflects our fan base. Our larger attendances at the etihad for liccle old City compared to the mighty liverpool get at Anfield reflects our fan base. Extending our stadium's south stand (end where away fans go) a couple of seasons back and the plan (approved) to extend our stadium's north stand to give us 60000 capacity, reflects our fan base. Bear in mind matey that we are based in the city with the best supported team in england - no it's not liverpool - with more football league clubs on our doorstep to compete with fans for than Liverpool have to do (everton and tranmere..wow!) so liccle old City aren't doing too bad.

So "any team can become a billionaires pet project and be successful". Really?  There are plenty of millionaires and billionaires owning Premier league club so why is it only Chelsea and City owners have been suuccessful on a regular basis then Bob? In fact your owner John W. Henry, is a billionaire isn't he, and he's been your owner for 9 years, but Liverpool haven't been successful have you Bob! Think he/Liverpool have proven your snide comment wrong, again. ????

7 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Not really keeping my powder dry. I've said it a few times, your run from Palace to Burnley is a tough one, and you aren't playing that good, surely you will drop points. If we beat Saints and the Chavs we only have 4 relatively easier matches to go. However, it is yours to lose and you are a better squad and you are the Champions. 

I've  been saying it all season that we haven't been playing that great - you should recall me tipping liverpool to win it around Dec/Jan - Silva seems to have grown old since xmas, kdb has been injured and not himself when he has played, we've played all season AGAIN without a leftback, our rightback has lost form this season, we have one forward in Aguero with jesus lacking confidence this season, we have an ageing central midfielder  in Fernandinho with no replacement anywhere as good, we have one first-team goalkeeper with Bravo out injured all season, weve had injuries to our KEY players (don't recall your key players in the goalie vvd salah robertson etc missing many) and we aren't as good as last season no matter what any newspaper, we were almost dead and buried in January (could have been 10 points down) and have recovered  (to one point up) against a liverpool that have just ground on all season without thrilling, HAVE ONLY LOST ONE GAME ALL SEASON so i reckon it's   City who's done well to keep with liverpool. Funny how we both seem to favour our opponent to win it.

37 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Huh...what you've got photos and live coverage of the SEAT TICKETS we sold (our official attendance) have you. Let's have look then.

53000 SEATS WERE SOLD for the rearranged fixture against an unattractive relegation team given inredible odds by the bookies on winning, on a cold day with bad snow conditions in Lancashire. 53000 SEATS WERE SOLD reflects our fan base. Our larger attendances at the etihad for liccle old City compared to the mighty liverpool get at Anfield reflects our fan base. Extending our stadium's south stand (end where away fans go) a couple of seasons back and the plan (approved) to extend our stadium's north stand to give us 60000 capacity, reflects our fan base. Bear in mind matey that we are based in the city with the best supported team in england - no it's not liverpool - with more football league clubs on our doorstep to compete with fans for than Liverpool have to do (everton and tranmere..wow!) so liccle old City aren't doing too bad.

So "any team can become a billionaires pet project and be successful". Really?  There are plenty of millionaires and billionaires owning Premier league club so why is it only Chelsea and City owners have been suuccessful on a regular basis then Bob? In fact your owner John W. Henry, is a billionaire isn't he, and he's been your owner for 9 years, but Liverpool haven't been successful have you Bob! Think he/Liverpool have proven your snide comment wrong, again. ????

My point was to Rick. Not to go over this thing again with you to come to the same conclusion.

You are an intelligent person BB, I don't know why you just can't admit things that are plainly obvious. Your stadium was half empty, see attached. Whatever you "sold" is irrelevant, people aren't bothered about going to watch you. It's a running joke across football. You actually claiming you have more fans attend matches than Liverpool is so absurd. If I was a City fan I'd admit it tell me to shove it, I've got 3 league titles yet you fight it like a xxxxxxx. 

Your club cooks their books, why not cook their attendance. It's an Arab thing mate, the economy is collapsing but you'll never hear about it. Officially everything is better than ever. 

Why is your club sending back tickets for your FA cup semi, can't sell them. The REALITY.

D3Qo49_XoAEsq2e.jpg-large.jpeg

5 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

people aren't bothered about going to watch you. It's a running joke across football.

Think that says more about the one's "joking" about it Bob and them being simply jealous as they don't have nothing else to take the mickey out of us for. It shows absolute and utter desperation. You don't win a trophy most full seats, you win trophies by winning games. The reality is that we moved from Maine Rd in which the capacity was circa 34,000 and it's been increasing ever since. The capacity at the Etihad a few seasons ago was 47,000, we wouldn't increase to 54,000 it there wasn't the demand.

41 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Think that says more about the one's "joking" about it Bob and them being simply jealous as they don't have nothing else to take the mickey out of us for. It shows absolute and utter desperation. You don't win a trophy most full seats, you win trophies by winning games. The reality is that we moved from Maine Rd in which the capacity was circa 34,000 and it's been increasing ever since. The capacity at the Etihad a few seasons ago was 47,000, we wouldn't increase to 54,000 it there wasn't the demand.

<deleted> me the reality is the above picture, a team on the verge of the quadruple. As bad as each other you two. 

20 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

<deleted> me the reality is the above picture, a team on the verge of the quadruple. As bad as each other you two. 

No Bob. That isn't the reality. I've stated the reality above and that we are increasing capacity, so of course there will be times of some empty seats. You just choose to ignore the facts and jump on the United "Emptihad" bandwagon. Disappointing really

4 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

No Bob. That isn't the reality. I've stated the reality above and that we are increasing capacity, so of course there will be times of some empty seats. You just choose to ignore the facts and jump on the United "Emptihad" bandwagon. Disappointing really

So a half empty stadium isn't a reality? Sending tickets back to the FA because you can't sell your allocated FA Cup semi tickets isn't a reality? 

These are facts that you ignore, which is bizarre...

Edited by BangrakBob
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

So a half empty stadium isn't a reality? Sending tickets back to the FA because you can't sell your allocated FA Cup semi tickets isn't a reality? 

These are facts that you ignore, which is bizarre...

Have I denied there was empty seats against Cardiff? You are taking the odd game here and there out of context to reality. And so what some of our fans can't afford to travel to Wembley for a semi. We as expats really shouldn't knock fans for not going. How many have you been to this year? 

20 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

The last line is irrefutable. Well i suppose you could offer the argument of "look at Leicester" as a counter that its not all about money but that is such a desperately sad argument.   And of course, looking at City's squad,  when you have that sort of quality and squad depth of course the quadruple is possible.  Look at their midfield <deleted>!!!!  They could lose 50% to long term injury and still field a world class line up.  Poor Pep has had it so rough his entire managerial career!!

But, everyone has to concede that City play great football. He might have spent nearly 700m but he's made it count, as opposed to Mourinho who spent in the region of 400m and produced the type of football that had you losing the will to live.

Edited by carmine

Just been reading that Pogba wants a salary increase to 500k a week.  Has anyone told him he's been largely crap all season and ain't worth a pittance of what he's already getting paid?

And Ole is really going to have his work cut out if, as is being reported he wants rid of Sanchez because who on earth is going to pay those wages for that mercenary?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, carmine said:

Just been reading that Pogba wants a salary increase to 500k a week.  Has anyone told him he's been largely crap all season and ain't worth a pittance of what he's already getting paid?

And Ole is really going to have his work cut out if, as is being reported he wants rid of Sanchez because who on earth is going to pay those wages for that mercenary?

If I had been a Man U supporter this year under Murino, sitting in my expensive seat, I would have been dismayed at how little effort some of my players were putting in. I wouldn't have been best pleased to see a sudden improvement under OGS. The club pays the wages, not the manager.

I'm with you Carms. Pogba was a 'virus' for a long time and Sanchez, especially at 350k a week, is just a waste of money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

If I had been a Man U supporter this year under Murino, sitting in my expensive seat, I would have been dismayed at how little effort some of my players were putting in. I wouldn't have been best pleased to see a sudden improvement under OGS. The club pays the wages, not the manager.

I'm with you Carms. Pogba was a 'virus' for a long time and Sanchez, especially at 350k a week, is just a waste of money.

Totally agree. Pogba disrespected the club and the fans, although i do agree with their pragmatic thinking that whilst they didn't like his behavior they would keep back him again for the good of the club.  But to demand a pay rise after the season he's has is just plain rude!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

My point was to Rick. Not to go over this thing again with you to come to the same conclusion.

You are an intelligent person BB, I don't know why you just can't admit things that are plainly obvious. Your stadium was half empty, see attached. Whatever you "sold" is irrelevant, people aren't bothered about going to watch you. It's a running joke across football. You actually claiming you have more fans attend matches than Liverpool is so absurd. If I was a City fan I'd admit it tell me to shove it, I've got 3 league titles yet you fight it like a xxxxxxx. 

Your club cooks their books, why not cook their attendance. It's an Arab thing mate, the economy is collapsing but you'll never hear about it. Officially everything is better than ever. 

Why is your club sending back tickets for your FA cup semi, can't sell them. The REALITY.

Bob thanks for the compliment ????

If you'd said there were empty seats i would have agreed with you, but you didn't, you chose to knock our fan base.

So we cook our books now do we for home attendances, for fcuks sake! Just on my way out but a very quick look found an article (below) from 2016 that said then we had 40000 season ticket holders; liverpool just 25000! We cook the attendance books is an arguement id expect fron one of the forum muppets not a fine cultured man like yourself...what's your favourite tiple right now?

https://www.themag.co.uk/2017/06/season-ticket-sales-20-premier-league-clubs-compared-newcastle-united/

14 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Honestly Bob, there are far more important things regards to City than whether they can fill their stadium as i believe you are going to find out this summer.  However if City were to win this years champions league it would be awfully embarrassing for footballs governing bodies what with the "concrete evidence" they claim they have with respect to City and financial doping.  Ofcourse if City won this years CL it would be taken away, more likely a ban the following year but it really would render the win as hollow.  If they are so 100% convinced of their findings it does beg the question as to why City are still in this years competition and haven't been removed.

Anyway, i shall not comment on this again, we shall wait till the summer, and i think we all know what the term "concrete evidence" suggests.  

On 4/4/2019 at 8:19 PM, BangrakBob said:

And they've just signed a cracking striker for a bargain price.

Best we open a Wolverhampton Wanderers thread Rick, would you like to do the honours?

I reckon their manager will replace Sarri this summer.  

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Bob thanks for the compliment ????

If you'd said there were empty seats i would have agreed with you, but you didn't, you chose to knock our fan base.

So we cook our books now do we for home attendances, for fcuks sake! Just on my way out but a very quick look found an article (below) from 2016 that said then we had 40000 season ticket holders; liverpool just 25000! We cook the attendance books is an arguement id expect fron one of the forum muppets not a fine cultured man like yourself...what's your favourite tiple right now?

https://www.themag.co.uk/2017/06/season-ticket-sales-20-premier-league-clubs-compared-newcastle-united/

I'm not not knocking your fan base, I'm just saying it's a very small one.

The fact you think City have a bigger fanbase than Liverpool is ludicrous, here's the facts.

One day twice a year Liverpool tickets go on sale for half of the season. Tickets sell out for every match within 30 mins!

You have to have a large amount of credits, ATTENDED MATCHES the previous season to get tickets. 

CL games go on sale to season ticket holders and priority holders, even if you attended 5 CL matches you can still miss out. CL tickets NEVER go on general sale. 

There is a 10 year waiting list for season tickets.

17 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Bob, absurd is it - see stats below

Go find me somewhere that shows Liverpool's  average attendance higher than City's then.

Screenshot_2019-04-06-15-07-23.png

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

The fact you think City have a bigger fanbase than Liverpool is ludicrous, here's the facts.

One day twice a year Liverpool tickets go on sale for half of the season. Tickets sell out for every match within 30 mins!

You have to have a large amount of credits, ATTENDED MATCHES the previous season to get tickets. 

CL games go on sale to season ticket holders and priority holders, even if you attended 5 CL matches you can still miss out. CL tickets NEVER go on general sale. 

Its time you built a bigger stadium laddie.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, carmine said:

The last line is irrefutable. Well i suppose you could offer the argument of "look at Leicester" as a counter that its not all about money but that is such a desperately sad argument.   And of course, looking at City's squad,  when you have that sort of quality and squad depth of course the quadruple is possible.  Look at their midfield <deleted>!!!!  They could lose 50% to long term injury and still field a world class line up.  Poor Pep has had it so rough his entire managerial career!!

But, everyone has to concede that City play great football. He might have spent nearly 700m but he's made it count, as opposed to Mourinho who spent in the region of 400m and produced the type of football that had you losing the will to live.

So Carmine wants to get in on Bob's comment that "any team can become a billionaires pet project and be successful". It's irrefutable is it?

To Bob i answered that "There are plenty of millionaires and billionaires owning Premier league club so why is it only Chelsea and City owners have been suuccessful on a regular basis then Bob? In fact your owner John W. Henry, is a billionaire isn't he, and he's been your owner for 9 years, but Liverpool haven't been successful have you Bob!". Still waiting for his comeback.

Spurs owner Joe Lewis, is a billionaire isn't he, and he's been Spurs owner for EIGHTEEN years, but Spurs  haven't been at all successful.

It's fair to say then that being a billionaire doesn't necessarily  win you trophies does it, so credit where credit is due, Roman and Sheikh Mansour invested and have allowed Chelsea and City to be successful when most other owners haven't been suuccessful.

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

People who live in glass houses...

No empty seats at Anfield ever. Bullshit!

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-anfield-empy-seats-2000-14164939

• Haha 1

To Bob and all you other emptihad believers, a question for you to answer:

Like all grounds - Anfield  and Old Trafford included - there are games when the Etihad has empty seats. City's statistics on seat tickets sold show we sell an average of 98% of seat tickets. That means some sold tickets are not used by season ticket holders for a few low key games. You don't seem to believe this.

So, if City don't have the fan base City's statistics show, (1) why  4 seasons ago did we increase our capacity from 47,400 to 55,097 seats if we can't sell those seat tickets, and why (2) have we got building approval to increase the north stand to take our capacity to 63000?

Your arguement doesn't stand up in face of economic reality.

28 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

People who live in glass houses...

No empty seats at Anfield ever. Bullshit!

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-anfield-empy-seats-2000-14164939

Bish, bong, bash. Oh dear. Bob's delusion burst into flames. The article is also from the Liverpool echo, so I hope he doesn't claim it's fake news or not reality ????

From the article:-

Liverpool are working on plans to fill the 2,000 seats that are sold but typically left empty at Anfield on matchdays while also considering a season ticket amnesty.

The club held the first meeting of the local supporters’ forum in January. A wide variety of topics were discussed but stand out lines included the possible schemes to ensure Anfield is full plus the possibility of an amnesty on season tickets given that significant numbers who attend matches are not the named holder.

Phil Dutton, Liverpool’s head of ticketing and hospitality, revealed the club is determined to reduce the number of unused tickets. He said: “Our fill rate (the number of seats that are used on a matchday) is around 94% but our sales rate (the number of seats sold) is around 99.6% with the 0.4 per cent being unsold visitor tickets or changes to segregation etc. Every available home seat is sold.

Right. Now that's put to bed, let United discussion continue in here ????

11 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Have I denied there was empty seats against Cardiff? You are taking the odd game here and there out of context to reality. And so what some of our fans can't afford to travel to Wembley for a semi. We as expats really shouldn't knock fans for not going. How many have you been to this year? 

My older brother, City season ticket  holder since the 70s, will not be going today to Wembley. It will be the first City final or semi he will not be present at since his first final in 1969 (FA Cup vs Leicester, 1v0 win for City; Neil Young goal). He's racked with guilt and bless him he feels he's  letting City down. Why isn't he going (he's retired so doesn't have work or time commitments); because he can't afford another trip to London; he went to Fulham last week, then after today there's Palace away, Spurs away, 2 x Cl quarters he has to pay for, maybe a FA Cup trip to London, etc. He's  also been to City's games at Wembley 16 times in the last 9 seasons so yet another trip to Wembley isn't the attraction it once was.

City, like most clubs, is supported by working class/middle class fans who are not wealthy. The cost of tickets these days are high. City have played 49 games this season - more than any English team - so they have to pick and choose their games. Think about that when commenting on City fans from your armchair comfort watching every game on Bein. Think only Ronnie on here goes to games but dont think even he goes to away games.