The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

So Carmine wants to get in on Bob's comment that "any team can become a billionaires pet project and be successful". It's irrefutable is it?

To Bob i answered that "There are plenty of millionaires and billionaires owning Premier league club so why is it only Chelsea and City owners have been suuccessful on a regular basis then Bob? In fact your owner John W. Henry, is a billionaire isn't he, and he's been your owner for 9 years, but Liverpool haven't been successful have you Bob!". Still waiting for his comeback.

Spurs owner Joe Lewis, is a billionaire isn't he, and he's been Spurs owner for EIGHTEEN years, but Spurs  haven't been at all successful.

It's fair to say then that being a billionaire doesn't necessarily  win you trophies does it, so credit where credit is due, Roman and Sheikh Mansour invested and have allowed Chelsea and City to be successful when most other owners haven't been suuccessful.

Would you adam and eve it, first time on here in a while and the post i read has an incorrect statement by BB, Joe lewis is not Spurs owner, Spurs are owned (85%) by ENIC.
ENIC are owned by Joe Lewis (via Tavistock group) and Daniel Levy, 70/30 respectively.We don’t have a billionaire owner. We are part of an investment portfolio and every act we take is subject to intense internal scrutiny.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

They just don't understand what living within your means

Get with the times Ronnie. We do live within our means. We have been posting profits for a few years now. Either your showing your ignorance of our current situation (even though we have posted it numerous times) or your fishing. I suspect the latter

15 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Get with the times Ronnie. We do live within our means. We have been posting profits for a few years now. Either your showing your ignorance of our current situation (even though we have posted it numerous times) or your fishing. I suspect the latter

Let's wait and see this summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Would you adam and eve it, first time on here in a while and the post i read has an incorrect statement by BB, Joe lewis is not Spurs owner, Spurs are owned (85%) by ENIC.
ENIC are owned by Joe Lewis (via Tavistock group) and Daniel Levy, 70/30 respectively.We don’t have a billionaire owner. We are part of an investment portfolio and every act we take is subject to intense internal scrutiny.

Knew I'd get you out of hiding; couldn't handle the defeats eh Alfie. It's alright to come back now, we won't mention the defeats, oops.

Joe lewis, who IS A BILLIONAIRE, owns 70% of ENIC who own Spurs and he is not really the owner? Of course you are right; he's not the owner but he is effectively the owner.

On TV footie forum, both Spurs posters (probably you occasionally) and the rest of us refer to the owner of Spurs as Joe Lewis as we know he's effectively  the owner and he's a billionaire.

Also the media refer to the man who is the owner of Spurs as Joe Lewis, the billionaire.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/joe-lewis-tottenham-transfer-rumours-12773340

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/transfer-news/joe-lewis-latest-spurs-news-15011547

https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/why-is-billionaire-spurs-owner-joe-lewis-in-town/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/2786503/Spurs-billionaire-Joe-Lewis-is-500m-casualty.html

"Joe Lewis, who effectively owns Tottenham Hotspur Football Club..."

I could go on but I won't, but i think the point i made about Spurs also being owned by a billionaire and not being successful stands up.

Ah Alfie, ever the pedant, welcome back from hiding.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Knew I'd get you out of hiding; couldn't handle the defeats eh Alfie. It's alright to come back now, we won't mention the defeats, oops.

Joe lewis, who IS A BILLIONAIRE, owns 70% of ENIC who own Spurs and he is not really the owner? Of course you are right; he's not the owner but he is effectively the owner.

On TV footie forum, both Spurs posters (probably you occasionally) and the rest of us refer to the owner of Spurs as Joe Lewis as we know he's effectively  the owner and he's a billionaire.

Also the media refer to the man who is the owner of Spurs as Joe Lewis, the billionaire.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/joe-lewis-tottenham-transfer-rumours-12773340

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/transfer-news/joe-lewis-latest-spurs-news-15011547

https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/why-is-billionaire-spurs-owner-joe-lewis-in-town/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/2786503/Spurs-billionaire-Joe-Lewis-is-500m-casualty.html

I could go on but I won't, but i think the point i made about Spurs also being owned by a billionaire and not being successful stands up.

There are billionaires and then there are billionaires. Sheikh Mansour's family is worth 1 trillion.

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

There are billionaires and then there are billionaires. Sheikh Mansour's family is worth 1 trillion.

But by Alfie's reckoning, it doesn't make him our owner. CFG are our owners, of which 13% is Chinese owned 

6 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Bish, bong, bash. Oh dear. Bob's delusion burst into flames. The article is also from the Liverpool echo, so I hope he doesn't claim it's fake news or not reality ????

From the article:-

Liverpool are working on plans to fill the 2,000 seats that are sold but typically left empty at Anfield on matchdays while also considering a season ticket amnesty.

The club held the first meeting of the local supporters’ forum in January. A wide variety of topics were discussed but stand out lines included the possible schemes to ensure Anfield is full plus the possibility of an amnesty on season tickets given that significant numbers who attend matches are not the named holder.

Phil Dutton, Liverpool’s head of ticketing and hospitality, revealed the club is determined to reduce the number of unused tickets. He said: “Our fill rate (the number of seats that are used on a matchday) is around 94% but our sales rate (the number of seats sold) is around 99.6% with the 0.4 per cent being unsold visitor tickets or changes to segregation etc. Every available home seat is sold.

Right. Now that's put to bed, let United discussion continue in here ????

I take the intelligent comment back and I'm doing my level best not to name call here, Jesus wept!!!

I can't believe how you've interpreted this article, is not about trying to fill a <deleted> stadium, it's ensure those people who miss out can make use of these tickets!

On average, 2000 out of 53000 people don't turn up for whatever reason, that's not half a stadium. And if those 2000 tickets were made available there would be 10,000 people ready to snap your hand off for them.

You keep harping on about ticket sales, not attendance, refusing to acknowledge it, you completely ignored my comment about how ticketing works at Liverpool. They are scarcest tickets in England. 

For whatever reason your punters don't turn up there isn't another 20,000 ready to use their tickets. For whatever reason your loyal fans are not attending the FA semi, there isn't another 2000 punters ready to step in. 

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

He is not the owner, what bit of that don't you understand ? even when someone gives you a fact you dispute it, just because the media mention something doesn't make it right, anyway here's a bit more for you as you don't seem to understand :  Tavistock group have a board which consists of several directors and board members. Every significant penny invested by Tavistock in any direction will be subject to a vote by that board.

It’s not as simple as uncle Joe giving us a cash injection. He doesn’t own us, a separate legal person called the Tavistock group effectively does (well they own ENIC), and just because he is the major shareholder, doesn’t mean he can say ‘give Spurs £150m’ without board approval, the board is there to act in the best interests of the company with the ultimate aim of growth, and Tavistock group has many investments to think about beyond Spurs.

Edited by alfieconn

11 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

But by Alfie's reckoning, it doesn't make him our owner. CFG are our owners, of which 13% is Chinese owned 

I was talking about Spurs, i don't have a clue who owns City and i don't really care.

Edited by alfieconn

3 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

I take the intelligent comment back and I'm doing my level best not to name call here, Jesus wept!!!

I can't believe how you've interpreted this article, is not about trying to fill a <deleted> stadium, it's ensure those people who miss out can make use of these tickets!

On average, 2000 out of 53000 people don't turn up for whatever reason, that's not half a stadium. And if those 2000 tickets were made available there would be 10,000 people ready to snap your hand off for them.

You keep harping on about ticket sales, not attendance, refusing to acknowledge it, you completely ignored my comment about how ticketing works at Liverpool. They are scarcest tickets in England. 

For whatever reason your punters don't turn up there isn't another 20,000 ready to use their tickets. For whatever reason your loyal fans are not attending the FA semi, there isn't another 2000 punters ready to step in. 

I acknowledge that there are games when not every seat is taken up at City. Happens at most clubs, including liverpool. Why don't you acknowledge  that.

And you can't take it back...it's  on t'internet ☺

Edited by Bredbury Blue

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

That may or may not be. But apparently if your club has a billionaire then success is a piece of piss. It's not though is it. 

3 hours ago, alfieconn said:

He is not the owner, what bit of that don't you understand ? even when someone gives you a fact you dispute it, just because the media mention something doesn't make it right, anyway here's a bit more for you as you don't seem to understand :  Tavistock group have a board which consists of several directors and board members. Every significant penny invested by Tavistock in any direction will be subject to a vote by that board.

It’s not as simple as uncle Joe giving us a cash injection. He doesn’t own us, a separate legal person called the Tavistock group effectively does (well they own ENIC), and just because he is the major shareholder, doesn’t mean he can say ‘give Spurs £150m’ without board approval, the board is there to act in the best interests of the company with the ultimate aim of growth, and Tavistock group has many investments to think about beyond Spurs.

I already agreed with you he's not the owner, can't  you read man. But he's effectively the owner isn't  he. 

Can we get back on to United and football related topics thanks lads.

We have a huge game coming up on Tuesday night so let's discuss how many we will get beat by and how many the goat will score ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been to Old Trafford in donkey's years but family members tell of derby visits how old and rundown it seems these days. The Guardian seems to agree.

What do you ManU fans think? Still a decent stadium with good facilities or do your owners need to spend on the stadium?

Rivals’ grand designs put Glazers’ neglect of Old Trafford in spotlight

Daniel Taylor

As Tottenham move in while Real Madrid and Barcelona show off their plans, Manchester United’s home – all but untouched under the current owners – looks increasingly tatty

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/apr/07/rivals-grand-designs-put-glazers-neglect-of-old-trafford-in-spotlight

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:44 AM, nev said:

Can we get back on to United and football related topics thanks lads.

We have a huge game coming up on Tuesday night so let's discuss how many we will get beat by and how many the goat will score ????

Yes a big game Nev and apparently our stadium is not up to it but I dont think there will be any empty seats.

I am seriously wondering what United team will turn up,the one that beat PSG or the one that capitulated against Wolves after leading.

Top 4 is going to be a struggle as is progress in the CL and OGS is going to have mountain to climb to get the side anywhere near the quality of football City & Liverpool are playing.Its probably going to be a 2 seasons project if they are to be anywhere near where they hope to be.

If you need a reminder how far the team has regressed over the last 3 managers just look at some old games.For club of Uniteds stature not to have a settled best 11 is proof of that and 55% of our attacks go down the left side as we havent had a settled right flank for a long time .We did have one who player would have prospered there, Zaha, but someone decided to give him away.

So its a rebuiding phase and I just hope the temptation is not there to sign players who are nearing the end of their career.Bale has been mentioned but he's becoming increasingly injury prone and we dont need reminding about Sanchez whose wage structure is going to cause more dissent .Even now Mason Greenwood maybe worth a run ,he played for the Under 23's on the right flank the other night and apparently looked comfortable. I'm all for bringing young players through even it takes time

Whatever there's going to be possibly the biggest turnover of players we have seen for a while.I'm not sold on Lukaku either comparing him with Van Persie and Van Nistlerooy is like a Mini Minor to a Rolls Royce

12 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Yes a big game Nev and apparently our stadium is not up to it

Don't think anyone is saying it's not up to it but even my cousins who are life long United fans said to me a few months ago it's looking shoddy now and needs a face lift.

33 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Don't think anyone is saying it's not up to it but even my cousins who are life long United fans said to me a few months ago it's looking shoddy now and needs a face lift.

It's not the newest but it's the biggest, which is important for revenue. 

OT has a lot of soul, I guess it will be redeveloped in the future, but it's not a priority atm. Spurs have set the standard for redevelopments with their's. Looks like a great job. 

3 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

When i asked for ManU fans' opinions on Old Trafford, i was assuming they'd been of course.

17 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

We can poke a bit of fun but the bottom line is that nice new stadium creates not just an immediate increase in revenue but opens the door to the possibilities of serious money in terms of US cable tv money.  Forget the nice swish new stadium for a moment, its the US money, american NFL that Joe Lewis has been working in these recent years.  Thats the jewell in the crown and i expect other club to follow suit.  For Spurs, our owners being US based doesn't hurt matters either.

If United did the same, and then add to that the global revenue they already generate, their income would be mind boggling.

2 hours ago, carmine said:

We can poke a bit of fun but the bottom line is that nice new stadium creates not just an immediate increase in revenue but opens the door to the possibilities of serious money in terms of US cable tv money.  Forget the nice swish new stadium for a moment, its the US money, american NFL that Joe Lewis has been working in these recent years.  Thats the jewell in the crown and i expect other club to follow suit.  For Spurs, our owners being US based doesn't hurt matters either.

If United did the same, and then add to that the global revenue they already generate, their income would be mind boggling.

You really do make it up as you go along. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, carmine said:

Actually playing at Wembley for 2 seasons generated a huge increase in Spurs' typical gate revenue. 

How has moving in to your new stadium "opened the door to the possibilities of serious money in terms of US cable tv money"? Struggling to think how.

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Actually playing at Wembley for 2 seasons generated a huge increase in Spurs' typical gate revenue. 

How has moving in to your new stadium "opened the door to the possibilities of serious money in terms of US cable tv money"? Struggling to think how.

American Football is a sell out in the UK and more games are set to be played here each year with Tottenham the only ground properly set up for it with a retractable pitch.

In ground revenue plus a cut of the huge US TV money is up for grabs and we're going to be lapping it up.

Happy days!