The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Well what a surprise, a completely different modern style of football, Shaw and Young going much further up the pitch far more pace and movement and the players letting everyone know, Mourinho in particular that they had not interest in playing his football or for him.

it was only a piss poor Cardiff, so lets not get overly carried away but big positives in the way you played

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Not a bad prediction. If I do say so myself ????

This type of result was so so on the cards.  And it could get extremely embarrassing if these players who Jose wrote off as not good enough do actually start performing.  United have a run of nice fixtures too to let the new guy get himself bedded in.

I'd give Ole the job full time.

• Haha 1

David de Gea

Failed to save another penalty, although Victor Camarasca's spotkick was struck so perfectly it would be churlish to reference De Gea's 12-yard record. 6

Ashley Young

Proactive throughout and provided a regular outlet on the right in attacks. Got high up the pitch regularly. 7

Phil Jones

Required more one-on-one coaching than his teammates and defended stoutly as Victor Lindelof was granted permission to roam. 7

Victor Lindelof

Was bought to bring the ball out of defence and finally got to do so. Thrived in an attacking defensive role as United got the truest glimpse of the player they signed. 8

Luke Shaw

Collaborated fruitfully with Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial down the left. Like Young, Shaw was a regular outlet in attacks. 7

Nemanja Matic

Jose Mourinho's surrogate son had his best 90 minutes of the season in the Portuguese's absence. An expert pivot between defence and attack. 7

Ander Herrera

His goal was fortuitous but the hyperactive Herrera supplemented United's more intense and fluid style in the final third. 8

Paul Pogba

Swept the ball sublimely for Herrera to make it 2-0 and linked up with Jesse Lingard and Anthony Martial for the Frenchman's strike. 7

Jesse Lingard

The quietest of the forwards, though his movement was key as United breached Cardiff time and again and he set up Martial. 9

Anthony Martial

Rounded off the phenomenal team goal that Solskjaer's United could become synonymous with. Excelled in a fluid front three. 8

Marcus Rashford

Gave United the perfect start with his deceptive free-kick but blemished his performance by conceding a penalty. 7

Subs

Fred

Tidy. 6

17 minutes ago, carmine said:

United have a run of nice fixtures too to let the new guy get himself bedded in.

Not really.

January - Newcastle, Spurs, both away.

February - Liverpool, PSG.

March - Arsenal, PSG, Man City.

8 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Huddersfield on Boxing day first

Yes. I'm really torn on that one. Huddersfield were the first team I ever support. Used to live within walking distance of the ground. Always the second team that  look for their results on Saturday. Still, I'm a Lancastrian, so I'll be hoping for a United win - just not 5-1 please!

Edited by Spidey
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Cardiff has already been played (last night). Newcastle away could be a test.

My point was, from the moment he started he has a nice run of games. Thats all i'm saying and that is the case.  Cardiff, Newcastle, Huddersfield and Bournemouth...lets not make more of that run of games than it is.  

After that it does get considerably tougher.

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

Yeah. But enough and now I hope normal service will be restored

Indeed ! I can't help but think the new gaffer will make a difference though. It had gotten to such a negative mess with Mourinho that any change would be a positive.

I saw Roy Keane's comments about the players throwing Mourinho under the bus. Clearly some of the players aren't angels, but there are managers who get what they deserve. Mourinho not infrequently at the top of the list.

16 minutes ago, nev said:

Some fair comments from all who have posted, Me being a red all I can say it is good to have us playing attractive attacking football, Win lose or draw it does not matter I just want to be entertained.

It's hard enough at my age getting up at ungodly hours here in Thailand and rather than getting bored I was enthralled for the whole 90mins, Thank you Ole for bringing the fun back.

Me too, I'm right behind you there I actually fell asleep and woke up at half time with my I-pad on the bed couldn't believe my eyes 3-1 <deleted>

My fellow countryman did what was needed , the positivity is back in the dressing room and on the pitch . The players start to believe in themselves, attack attack attack .

But what will happen when they meet a better team like my Spurs ?  Their defense will struggle if Ole are going to continue with this type of football . 

But it will be entertaining to watch, that's for sure. 

3 hours ago, balo said:

My fellow countryman did what was needed , the positivity is back in the dressing room and on the pitch . The players start to believe in themselves, attack attack attack .

But what will happen when they meet a better team like my Spurs ?  Their defense will struggle if Ole are going to continue with this type of football . 

But it will be entertaining to watch, that's for sure. 

you play the team that is in front of you, up to now under Maurine it has been weak, attack is the best form of defence, we have people capable of scoring goals against anyone - opposition might have to think about defending which is a whole new thing when very skilled payers are allowed to play, Lukak is gone - he was useless alone looking for a stray ball and chance - it seldom happened - we need a good striker on top of what we already have who is will to participate instead of camping offside which is quite frankly useless - these players have been unleashed - you win games by scoring goals - up to now no one has had to worry about that and taken advantage of the negative type of gameplay we have seen so far this season - win or lose the players must be allowed to play their best football

That Cardiff match is the first I have watched the full game for quite a while - it was impressive and enjoyable to watch and I kept watching, Mourino is done, he is now a selfish egotistic old man that thinks he is more important than the players and the team - I have done this and I have won that - time to retire, you have been exposed at OT and you are spent, apart from Lukak you built a good team but failed to play them - now they are playing

I look forward to the next game 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jellydog said:

Indeed ! I can't help but think the new gaffer will make a difference though. It had gotten to such a negative mess with Mourinho that any change would be a positive.

I saw Roy Keane's comments about the players throwing Mourinho under the bus. Clearly some of the players aren't angels, but there are managers who get what they deserve. Mourinho not infrequently at the top of the list.

I don't agree at all with the alleged behavior of Pogba and Sanchez, i think if true its disgraceful.

However, when a manager throws his own players under the bus why should he expect differently or command their respect and loyalty?

A case in point would be Pochettino at Spurs.  His players will run through brick walls for him, but then again, he always defends them shoulders blame,  and so has their total loyalty.

It was very nice to see United playing what we all perceive to be United style football once again, and the ingredients to do so was always there but only under a different manager than the tactically prehistoric Mourinho.

3 hours ago, carmine said:

I don't agree at all with the alleged behavior of Pogba and Sanchez, i think if true its disgraceful.

However, when a manager throws his own players under the bus why should he expect differently or command their respect and loyalty?

A case in point would be Pochettino at Spurs.  His players will run through brick walls for him, but then again, he always defends them shoulders blame,  and so has their total loyalty.

It was very nice to see United playing what we all perceive to be United style football once again, and the ingredients to do so was always there but only under a different manager than the tactically prehistoric Mourinho.

We are made up that he is gone and Ole with Phelan by his side are in charge, By the way Fergie was the one who suggested this pairing to take over after a meeting with Woodward.

As Ole's as said everyone starts with a clean slate past is past and Ole also said everyone will get a chance to prove themselves.

By the way Carmine great win by spurs keep it up I hope you win the league.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nev said:

We are made up that he is gone and Ole with Phelan by his side are in charge, By the way Fergie was the one who suggested this pairing to take over after a meeting with Woodward.

As Ole's as said everyone starts with a clean slate past is past and Ole also said everyone will get a chance to prove themselves.

By the way Carmine great win by spurs keep it up I hope you win the league.

Thanks mate.  

• Like 1

Havent heard one pundit, and there's a million of them, talk about the fact that the biggest game of the season,for some United fans, v Liverpool Martial (teams top scorer) and Pogba were on the bench. Any explanation from Mourinho, no and he wouldnt give one if asked probably divert the conversation to how many trophies he's won.

Thankfully the cloud of negativity in Mourinho has gone and we can get back to watching our team providing entertainment.They may not win anything and maybe too late to make top 4 but they are back.

I hope Mourinho watched the match v Cardiff and saw Martial with the United goal of the season and Pogba with 3 assists for the others.

Their non selection for liverpool was inexcusable.

Coincidence ? lindelof returning to his WC form,ball going forward not sideways,movement off the ball,back four moving forward closing up the space in midfield,simple direct,pacy football.

Lukaku what's going on there ? Not listed as injured on the usually reliable www.physioroom.com .....maybe a personal problem ?

• Like 2

Why Manchester United striker Anthony Martial is the Premier League's deadliest striker

Premier League top scorers by minutes-per-goal ratio

Martial, 8 goals - 111 mins per goal

Aubameyang, 12 goals - 116 mins per goal

Aguero, 8 goals - 126 mins per goal

Sterling, 9 goals - 134 mins per goal

Salah, 11 goals - 135 mins per goal

Ings, 7 goals - 137 mins per goal

Kane, 11 goals - 140 mins per goal

Murray, 8 goals - 142 mins per goal

Pedro, 6 goals - 150 mins per goal

Hazard, 8 goals - 164 mins per goal

Sane, 6 goals - 164 mins per goal

Richarlison, 8 goals - 171 mins per goal

Vardy, 6 goals - 161 mins per goal

Wilson, 8 goals - 181 mins per goal

Lacazette, 6 goals - 189 mins per goal

Mane, 7 goals - 193 mins per goal

Lukaku, 6 goals - 197 mins per goal

Sigurdsson, 7 goals - 215 mins per goal

Mitrovic, 7 goals - 224 mins per goal

Anderson, 6 goals - 251 mins per goal

19 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I think he's been given compassionate leave for something. 

The Belgium international has been short of his best at Old Trafford this season but Juventus are reported to be considering a move for his services.