The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

38 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

So why don't all great footballers succeed as managers?

It's an interesting question. Quite a few of the ones that have are footballers who were a couple of levels from the top.

What I think about Rooney is that a) he does have a good tactical brain, and has learnt from the best, and that b) he does command the respect of the players around him, just look at how the body language of the DC United players. It's probably best he gets into management sooner rather than later, as many of this generation of players will have watched Rooney growing up and will certainly look up to him. 

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

This isn't University Challenge. It's football, and Rooney is one of the cleverest players I've seen on the pitch. 

And that's the point. The manager doesn't play on the pitch. Being a good manager and a good footballer are 2 totally different skill sets. That's why some of the worlds best managers weren't great footballers and some of the world's greatest footballers didn't become great managers

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

And that's the point. The manager doesn't play on the pitch. Being a good manager and a good footballer are 2 totally different skill sets. That's why some of the worlds best managers weren't great footballers and some of the world's greatest footballers didn't become great managers

It is impossible to generalise either way, but I believe an ex player who had great vision on the pitch could translate that into being a manager. Another advantage great ex players have is that they carry themselves well.  Look at Zidane. He's not done too badly...... put it this way, it is certainly not a disadvantage having been a great player. 

Only time will tell. I think Rooney wants to give it a go, so we will see. I can't see a better grounding that Fergie, LVG and Mourinho. 

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

It is impossible to generalise either way, but I believe an ex player who had great vision on the pitch could translate that into being a manager. Another advantage great ex players have is that they carry themselves well.  Look at Zidane. He's not done too badly...... put it this way, it is certainly not a disadvantage having been a great player. 

Only time will tell. I think Rooney wants to give it a go, so we will see. I can't see a better grounding that Fergie, LVG and Mourinho. 

If he does decide to be a manager my advice to him is to use an interpreter, Just say like.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, nev said:

If he does decide to be a manager my advice to him is to use an interpreter, Just say like.

Could be an issue... although moving abroad may have done him good, having to make himself understood

53 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

What do you reckon @nev  ...?

I liked him when he had a excellent game against us in the semi final for Hull we should have bought him then.

Yes for me if we can get him for around 70mil, him Lindelof and Bailly would be a solid back Three.

I think James and Wan- Bissaka are two excellent signings so far, I hope that is not all we get in if it is we will struggle.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nev said:

I hope that is not all we get in if it is we will struggle.

Agree there are still some key positions we need to fill. There is a lot of time left in the window though, so not panicking just yet. The selling clubs know that if they hold out longer they can get a better price.

What I like so far is the emphasis on young, hungry English players. Hoping that will be a kick up the arse for some of our young players to perform better.,

I've been keeping a close eye on Alexis Sanchez in the Copa America. He started the tournament really brightly, and part of me thought there was a chance he could arrive back a new player next season, and perhaps even become the player we had hoped for..

But against Columbia, despite scoring the winning penalty, he had the latter United Alexis written all over him. Running down cul-de-sacs, and apparently a yard slower than he used to be. Chile play in the Semis  against Peru this week I think, and if he can end the tournament on a high who knows? If we can't shift him, I really hope he can come back rejuvenated and turn back the clock a little.

Meanwhile, Fred was completely snubbed by Brazil, and as a former regular, I hope this will fire him up for the new season. Playing for the national team means a lot to Brazilians. 

Edited by RickG16

Is it just me or is a Brazil team with Firminho and Jesus up front very unexotic?!

Yes I know they play for two good teams, but they aren't exactly the best forwards in those two teams. Felt like watching a PL game this morning. Bring back Romario and Bebeto!...........

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Is it just me or is a Brazil team with Firminho and Jesus up front very unexotic?!

Yes I know they play for two good teams, but they aren't exactly the best forwards in those two teams. Felt like watching a PL game this morning. Bring back Romario and Bebeto!...........

Jesus had a great game and that run for the 2nd is the kind of run Rashford should be doing now he has his bumper payrise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nev said:

Jesus had a great game and that run for the 2nd is the kind of run Rashford should be doing now he has his bumper payrise.

Rashford is on similar to Kane but what has he done and why are you paying him so much?

Edited by RonniePickering22

47 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Rashford is on similar to Kane but what has he done and why are you paying him so much?

I’m guessing it’s to stop the poachers rather than give him what he deserves. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nev said:

It was a good run but comon mate... Not a patch on the original Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Romario etc etc... Dani Alves best player on the pitch for me 

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

It was a good run but comon mate... Not a patch on the original Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Romario etc etc... Dani Alves best player on the pitch for me 

Agree, I was just commenting on the run.

Just turned on the telly and see Perh are 2-0 up let's see if Sanchez can pull them back.

2 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Sanchez apparently has dome his hamstring. Like a rusted out old car ...unsaleable

Yup. The hope I have though is that if he is told he's not likely to play, he may be willing to take a pay cut to leave and play somewhere else.

Say what you want about Alexis, but by all accounts he is a hard worker, and doesn't seem like the kind of guy to be happy picking up a wage and not playing. Even if it is 500k a week!

15 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Yup. The hope I have though is that if he is told he's not likely to play, he may be willing to take a pay cut to leave and play somewhere else.

Say what you want about Alexis, but by all accounts he is a hard worker, and doesn't seem like the kind of guy to be happy picking up a wage and not playing. Even if it is 500k a week!

Where does this 500k a week come from? I understood it to be 380k when he was signed from Arsenal.

If you are correct, and it's your club so i shouldn't doubt you, I think that English football has gone crazy. Who is going to be the first million a week player?

Edited by owl sees all

Long way to go for friendlies but United play the local A League side Perth Glory this Saturday at the relatively new, all purpose, OPTUS Stadium. Not a real football stadium but AFL is pretty popular in the west and of course cricket.

Capacity is 60,000 and with a large local British Expat population in Perth should be no problems filling it.Leeds Monday night.

Off and running

2-0 stroll for United v a young Perth Glory A league side who are also out of season.Goals to Rashford and Garner who also hit the post.

50,206 turned up and amazingly 12,000 paid to see a training run 2 days back.Truck loads of merchandise sold so the poor last few seasons don't seem to have hurt the "United brand"

Mate of mine made the effort to go.WA is a long way from the major population areas.He said James looked sharp,Pogba provided one great moment of creativity,2 seperate teams each half.Only negative he said was Shaw coming off ,straight down the tunnel with what looked like hamstring problem.I guess Dalot or Young will cover that position.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

2-0 stroll for United v a young Perth Glory A league side who are also out of season.Goals to Rashford and Garner who also hit the post.

50,206 turned up and amazingly 12,000 paid to see a training run 2 days back.Truck loads of merchandise sold so the poor last few seasons don't seem to have hurt the "United brand"

Mate of mine made the effort to go.WA is a long way from the major population areas.He said James looked sharp,Pogba provided one great moment of creativity,2 seperate teams each half.Only negative he said was Shaw coming off ,straight down the tunnel with what looked like hamstring problem.I guess Dalot or Young will cover that position.

After watching that I am not going to get carried away but I can see 21 coming up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

You should atick in a bid for Lacazette....they need a few quid to buy a defence I'm hearing....they might even throw in their captain to save you a few quid! :clap2:

All well and good but they have to move Lukaku on first.

Lukaku is an enigma his scoring record v games played is actually very good but he looks like a pub player ,first touch is terrible,no vision and last season was obviously not fit. He's made it clear he wants to leave,Getting most of the money spent on him back is the problem