The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

United 4 v Leeds 0...... FT

Greenwood (7)

Rashford (27)

Jones (51)

Martial (69) penalty

Looked like a full house,plenty of Leeds fans.

Total change of players at HT for United.

De Gea apparently ill prior to match.

Lukaku supposed to be carrying an injury or maybe not wanting to get one !

Have a gut feeling Pogba will be staying after his agents comments today in which case do United need another midfielder ? 

Thought Perieira looked better in the mf tonight.

Obviously if some of the talented youngsters are going to be part of the main squad some players need to be shipped out pronto

Well a proper game of football last night ,good viewing on Thai Channel PPTV 36.

Disappointing that Conte made his intentions clear with 5 across the back.

Wan- Bissaka was outstanding ,he's going to be a fans favourite chasing down attackers and seems to have mastered the slide tackle to perfection ,going forward was lively as well.

Mason Greenwood broke the deadlock seems he may be well pencilled into OGS starting line up come the season start. His overall performance was outstanding

Chong also looked good on the left despite being cynically chopped down time and time again by Inter defenders.Went off injured or maybe just to prevent any further damage

United keepers ,De Gea & Romero had very little to do so hard to evaluate the defence performances.

Pogba gave some encouragement chasing back whenever he lost the ball,something he failed to do last season

Interesting times

sparkes when ever i see ' slide tackle' esp in a ful bac and esp with a winger switching to a wing bac, it concerns me , we had it with rose, to me a slide tackle is when all else fails and your caught out of position , last ditch,compensation for positional poor play

great defenders dont slide tackle their positional play carries them through, slide tackels often result in pens . Tbh rose until this last hlf of the season, when his game defensive game dramatically improved but at the cost of his attackin game , cynically he'd lost a yard and knew he wouldnt get a deal on his forward game so he upped the anti on his defensive game, wonder if your young guys gonna have the same probs as other wingers that drop bac.

17 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

sparkes when ever i see ' slide tackle' esp in a ful bac and esp with a winger switching to a wing bac, it concerns me , we had it with rose, to me a slide tackle is when all else fails and your caught out of position , last ditch,compensation for positional poor play

great defenders dont slide tackle their positional play carries them through, slide tackels often result in pens . Tbh rose until this last hlf of the season, when his game defensive game dramatically improved but at the cost of his attackin game , cynically he'd lost a yard and knew he wouldnt get a deal on his forward game so he upped the anti on his defensive game, wonder if your young guys gonna have the same probs as other wingers that drop bac.

Wan Bissaka played in the same manner last season and I don't remember him giving away penalties or many free kicks.The game is being played at an increased speed and being out of position is sometimes more due to the the oppositions quick movement of the ball. From my memory a slide tackle is still a very effective tackle if done correctly ie taking the ball first.He is a converted winger and still very young but he will give the team something they didn't have last year.Nearly all United's attacks went down the left side.It was painful to watch especially after giving Zaha away for peanuts

• Like 1

OGS has a major dilemma in culling the players down to a squad to start the season.

I think an Academy product has either scored or provide an assist in every goal scored on tour.

I wouldn't have given Angel Gomes a hope of being selected but the way he kept his cool & scored from an acute angle v Spurs showed his maturity. Size and physicality is his only negative

With only a short time before the window closes it seems players like Darmien are still to find a new home.For me Tuanzebe is a better option than Rojo who always looks a whisker away from being booked or giving away penalty of free kick close to the box.

Baillys future looks bleak,the guy cant get a break,pardon the pun

I would rather, for all clubs interests, that the window closes 2 weeks earlier ,far to many players with unknown futures

yeah sparks.. im sure his pace will be a plus to you but  last 1 st season was your mans first season  as a wing bac, and  making a mistake for c.p WILL go under the radar  at UTD it wont..its on a diferent plane..

as for the slide tackle   its a really common cause of penalties and free kics  as quite rightly  players safety is becoming more and  more of an issue the line between getting it right and keepin it under control is so fine.. refs are lookin at them V V closely and coach's ARE not encouraging them..they ARE looked at as a liabilty .. but we'll c 

Interesting comments on this thread but I see no expectation from United fans so I suspect you all know.

1. OGS is so far out of his depth of expect the board to be already planning a realistic replacement who can come in as early as October.

2. With OGS at the helm I have serious concerns and whilst the team has a bit of dynamism and a few good youngsters. 94? It is not.

3. Realistically I see united losing 6 of their first 10 PL games and scraping into double digit points from the first 10.

4. No disrespect intended, this is a realistic analysis and if utd manage middle of the table this season. I am not sure that's a bad thing given the transition that needs to occur that will not even begin until you solve the manager problem.

I think all of the points above are really fair and the likelihood of the points haul after first 10, is odds on.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mikisteel said:

Interesting comments on this thread but I see no expectation from United fans so I suspect you all know.

thanks for keeping us all informed with your expert analysis 

1 hour ago, smedly said:

thanks for keeping us all informed with your expert analysis 

Anytime, a good Indication of the above is the Maguire deal. If true, Leicester don't want to base any of the payment add-ons in relation to European qualification. 

16 minutes ago, balo said:

Is it true Dybala is on his way to United? I was hoping he would want to meet Poch and move to London.

No, Would love to see him at United but this is just another using us to get a move or a new contract.

8 hours ago, Mikisteel said:

Anytime, a good Indication of the above is the Maguire deal. If true, Leicester don't want to base any of the payment add-ons in relation to European qualification. 

wow that went right over your head - which is no surprise 

maybe I need to explain...…..……….you were talking out you ass

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 3:58 AM, smedly said:

wow that went right over your head - which is no surprise 

maybe I need to explain...…..……….you were talking out you ass

Wow blinking heck what is this???

Do we have a Utd fan clinging on to the past so much that he cannot face the future... I think so.

Mediocrity is the word that best describes united under OGS

Care to revisit the recent stats.

You could have 11 world class players and still OGS would fail.

The days of average players excelling under a great manager are long gone.

If Leicester will not negotiate based on add-ons pending European qualification then that should tell you, your in lala land and mid table maybe 8th is where you will be, if your lucky. Over. Finito, done.

On 7/28/2019 at 9:23 PM, nev said:

No, Would love to see him at United but this is just another using us to get a move or a new contract.

What do you think he'd bring though apart from another Rashford / Martial type who isn't a winger and isn't a conventional number 9?

Shouldn't we be looking for more out and out wingers like James, and players who can put a good cross in, or a genuine number 9?

2 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

I've seen milk turn quicker than that lad, 85M. Absolutely dry bummed there!

Leicester really didn't need to sell, and Maguire doesn't seem like the type to 'go on strike' until he gets his wish - those 2 things meant it was a tough negotiation but we got it over the line. Seems like transfer fees have gone up by another 20% since the VVD deal, and we all know England internationals are marked up, so dont be too surprised at 80M.

I think some fans have been very unrealistic in terms of expectations for when these deals get made. To me, unless you can get a deal done right at the start of the window (we did 2) the likelihood is that it's going to drag out until near the deadline as the selling club is holding out. We don't want to develop a reputation as a club that consistently pays well over the odds, so I'm glad Ed is doing some haggling (talking about Fernándes in, Lukaku out etc)

• Like 1

Just now, RickG16 said:

Leicester really didn't need to sell, and Maguire doesn't seem like the type to 'go on strike' until he gets his wish - those 2 things meant it was a tough negotiation but we got it over the line. Seems like transfer fees have gone up by another 20% since the VVD deal, and we all know England internationals are marked up, so dont be too surprised at 80M.

I think some fans have been very unrealistic in terms of expectations for when these deals get made. To me, unless you can get a deal done right at the start of the window (we did 2) the likelihood is that it's going to drag out until near the deadline as the selling club is holding out. We don't want to develop a reputation as a club that consistently pays well over the odds, so I'm glad Ed is doing some haggling (talking about Fernándes in, Lukaku out etc)

Hello rickeeee

As I mentioned previously this team could have 11 super stars ( Maguire is not one neither is bissaka but the Welsh lad may turn a few heads but he is no giggs) but he has a point to prove so I expect him to take his chances.

The point is rickeee this team has a 2nd division manager and that shall be the reason Utd struggle getting into the top half. Wolves were no surprise last season don't expect to be above them this one. It is what it is for United. In the space of 6 years champions to mid table fodder. 

At least go where no other united fan has and provide an expectation of your team. 

To be fair Miki Utd have bought well this season and if they get Dybala for Lukaku they will be a lot better technically next season.

I agree on the manager though....can he gel that team together and get them playing his style of football?

I doubt he has the knowhow.

• Like 1

thing bout lukaku was that he was/ could be a plan b,... now all strikers are  class acts NO doubts, but maybe a touch similar?   muscle DEFO comes in handy and lukaku was that and pace.. youve bought a pacy classy young hungry winger but noe  no real target man    ? .  forget the 80 mil.. macguire TOP signing by olle  utd are long term tradionally a team with big,quality cbs.. macguire will be the pivot for 5 maybe 6 seasons.. great buy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

To be fair Miki Utd have bought well this season and if they get Dybala for Lukaku they will be a lot better technically next season.

I agree on the manager though....can he gel that team together and get them playing his style of football?

I doubt he has the knowhow.

hi there Ronnie I read a few of your posts you ain't that daft and spurs are having a bit if a heyday, albeit no trophies but all the same it's still looking rosy.

So let's get realistic on united cos no one seems to have a pair on this thread. Buying is ok but let's get real cos smedly is too Lau kaued to make any sense. 

James may surprise and for 15m was well worth a punt. If he has an impact like James maddison at Leicester then that's blinding.

Maguire - 50m ok but 80m for this lad is criminal. 

Bissaka - London boy bopping in grey and dreary Manchester. Ok I'll hold my hands up this is a great signing.

But look at the absolute shit they are holding onto and with a div 2 manager at the helm and some serious attitude on some key players it's just not a team in my highly experienced opinion.

7th at best.

United will finish behind.

Lfc 

Mcfc

Thfc 

Cfc 

Afc 

Wwfc 

Lcfc

Whu

Efc 

Mufc

A bloddy lot of teams that's for dam sure.

Edited by mrbojangles
Correction of member name in post
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikisteel said:

<snip>

But look at the absolute shit they are holding onto and with a div 2 manager at the helm and some serious attitude on some key players it's just not a team in my highly experienced opinion.

7th at best.

United will finish behind.

Lfc 

Mcfc

Thfc 

Cfc 

Afc 

Wwfc 

Lcfc

Whu

Efc 

Mufc

A bloddy lot of teams that's for dam sure.

So we are into predicting are we?! Good to see a poster sticking his reputation out. Last year I predicted the top 4 in correct order and did OK further down. I'll put my full 20 team prediction up later but for now; just the top 4:

Man City

Liverpool

Chelsea

Everton.

Edited by owl sees all

All this predicting and the transfer window is not closed yet, Wait until the season starts we might have time to bring Neymar on loan and Costa from Athletico Madrid. 

Well I can dream ????

Just now, owl sees all said:

So we are into predicting are we?! Good to see a poster sticking his reputation out. Last year I predicted the top 4 in correct order and did OK further down. I'll put my full 20 team prediction up later but for now; just the top 4:

Man City

Liverpool

Chelsea

Everton.

Hello to the Sheffield Wednesday fan is that?

Very interested in your T20.

Amy ideas on these kind of odds, let me know:

Utd 12 points after 10 games

OGS to be gone before christmas

Utd to Finnish 9th or lower.

18 minutes ago, Mikisteel said:

Hello to the Sheffield Wednesday fan is that?

Very interested in your T20.

Amy ideas on these kind of odds, let me know:

Utd 12 points after 10 games

OGS to be gone before christmas

Utd to Finnish 9th or lower.

A lot of negativity about Utd bro'.

I can't see then being relegated this coming season Mikisteel. II'll post their final position when all the transfers, and club news in in.

IMO, this coming season is a realignment of the EPL. The top 6 will be breached. Easy to forget that Leicester won the league comfortably just 4 seasons ago, and Man City were in the 3 tier (98-99) when Utd and Arsenal were sharing the accolades.

Things go in cycles and I believe that at least a couple of once great clubs, will infiltrate the top 6 monopoly, and break it for good.

Edited by owl sees all

Just now, RickG16 said:

Nobody has a pair of balls on this thread = everybody realises what your game is, we can spot you a mile off. 

Here's a tip, if you are trying to get under people's skin, you need to come with something less basic than the 'you are rubbish, and will always be rubbish theme'. Try something a bit more personal, witty, or scathing.

Anyway don't lose heart... the season hasn't even begun yet. Dust yourself down, and have another go. 

Hello rickeeee

Please refrain from casting such ideas before reading through your own members content. I just want some ball park expectations, I believe you have the worst manager in the whole division and let's be clear, that includes Steve Bruce.  Why is it that Utd have the worst premier league manager in the league and you are all not aware of such a disadvantage. Not looking to cause pain although I u understand it is painful but seriously are you telling me there is no plan b or even a fans plan b