The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Just now, owl sees all said:

A lot of negativity about Utd bro'.

I can't see then being relegated this coming season Mikisteel. II'll post their final position when all the transfers, and club news in in.

IMO, this coming season is a realignment of the EPL. The top 6 will be breached. Easy to forget that Leicester won the league comfortably just 4 seasons ago, and Man City were in the 3 tier (98-99) when Utd and Arsenal were sharing the accolades.

Things go in cycles and I believe that at least a couple of once great clubs, will infiltrate the top 6 monopoly, and break it for good.

I don't think it's negativity although after a couple of nasty responses I may have deep dived but only into the reality of matters owl.

I'm just seeking opinions from those that are apparently fans of the club.

I thought this was the whole point of the football forum or had the Utd football forum had a bit too much Thai sunshine that thry can longer be honest about the expectation levels being completely diminished.

I agree, I don't see some of the always clubs at the top end this year.

• Like 1

Entertaining game to watch live on PPTV last night. Penalties never a satisfactory way to finish a game but no option.

What did we learn ? Matic is a worry provided a great pass for the first Rashford goal but was constantly caught out by just being too slow and misdirecting passes. McTominay while he didn't have his best pre season game IMO is a far better option, if teamed with Pogba and growing in confidence speaking of which the youngsters Gomes,Greenwood and James converted their penalties with conviction to take the win.Confidence way beyond their experience.James wont ever forget that penalty in front of 65,000 people, 

Gomes made a great cameo performance as a late substitution. Tuanzebe looked strong doing his chances of making the cut no harm. Gives OGS & co a massive headache.

OGS  still being rubbished.People tend to forget he said on appointment its going to take time.He has one of the best football people Mike Phelan alongside him and unlike our previous 2 mangers OGS doesn't have an ego and with Carrick there too I would say to anybody judge them by results.

The strategy for this season is obviously based on pace and going forward quickly not possession and constantly going side ways. I like the process of change lets see how it goes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

Entertaining game to watch live on PPTV last night. Penalties never a satisfactory way to finish a game but no option.

What did we learn ? Matic is a worry provided a great pass for the first Rashford goal but was constantly caught out by just being too slow and misdirecting passes. McTominay while he didn't have his best pre season game IMO is a far better option, if teamed with Pogba and growing in confidence speaking of which the youngsters Gomes,Greenwood and James converted their penalties with conviction to take the win.Confidence way beyond their experience.James wont ever forget that penalty in front of 65,000 people, 

Gomes made a great cameo performance as a late substitution. Tuanzebe looked strong doing his chances of making the cut no harm. Gives OGS & co a massive headache.

OGS  still being rubbished.People tend to forget he said on appointment its going to take time.He has one of the best football people Mike Phelan alongside him and unlike our previous 2 mangers OGS doesn't have an ego and with Carrick there too I would say to anybody judge them by results.

The strategy for this season is obviously based on pace and going forward quickly not possession and constantly going side ways. I like the process of change lets see how it goes

Matic is finished at the top level, As for the game for long stages of the game we was dominated by Milan maybe down to our very average midfield plus also missing Pogba.

Lots to look forward too but in the next week we badly need one or two midfielders coming in.

Judging by the comments I think the expectation level has diminished dramatically and whilst not spoken, I doubt anyone is going to argue united will have done well to Finnish in a top 6 position this season. 

My concerns are not based on players but in this case, the manager.

Just remembering his reactions and expressions last season when he went from superb to mediocre.

Anyone could have stepped in and got them performing based on the ill feeling alone but to ensure momentum continued after the honeymoon period?

Completely failed. 

I sense regret handing him the contract, but at this stage perhaps any further managerial changes may make the decider look inefficent.

I sense united just do not have the spark to lure the kind of manager they need. 

Anywhere between 11th and 6th this season is my prediction for this clan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nev said:

Matic is finished at the top level, As for the game for long stages of the game we was dominated by Milan maybe down to our very average midfield plus also missing Pogba.

Lots to look forward too but in the next week we badly need one or two midfielders coming in.

Somebody made the point Matic is a passenger these days and I agree. Shame Fred is playing catch up because of missing some preseason for his wedding. He might not be the next Michael Carrick but he's got a lot more of an engine than Matic, that's for sure.

I can't see us bringing in another midfielder besides Fernándes, who is definitely attacking. It might be a battle between Fred / Matic / Mctominay for the deep lying midfield spot...Looks like it could be a chink in our armour.

Yes , you really need to strengthen your defense, 

I would think most United games will be entertaining to watch this season, if they want to play like this, guaranteed goals both ways

Nobody on here heralding the signing of Harry Maguire. I can only presume that you rags all agree with me that he is total garbage. More money than sense. Expect plenty of finger pointing and arguing with team mates next season; it will be entertaining to the point of laughable.

2 minutes ago, champers said:

Nobody on here heralding the signing of Harry Maguire. I can only presume that you rags all agree with me that he is total garbage. More money than sense. Expect plenty of finger pointing and arguing with team mates next season; it will be entertaining to the point of laughable.

I wouldn't say he is garbage but most expensive defender? Well over priced. 

21 minutes ago, champers said:

United fans can now say they have a better CB than Smalling, Phil Jones, or Rojo. That about covers it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hackjam said:

Cant believe this big cart horse is rated 12 million better than VVD.  

What dont you get? He's not 'rated' by anyone. It's not the Championship Manager computer game. The fee is reflective of what he's worth to a particular club at a particular time.

Just now, RickG16 said:

What dont you get? He's not 'rated' by anyone. It's not the Championship Manager computer game. The fee is reflective of what he's worth to a particular club at a particular time.

Well actually rickee as of June 2019 Maguire had a player value rating of 50m

https://www.transfermarkt.com/harry-maguire/profil/spieler/177907

Happy to discuss stats versus the other top defenders in the prem.

How do you feel about this signing? Is this guy getting you as excited as vidic, Ferdinand, stam????

Where do you see united in the grand scheme of things this season?

How many managers do you envisage using this year?

1 hour ago, Mikisteel said:

Well actually rickee as of June 2019 Maguire had a player value rating of 50m

https://www.transfermarkt.com/harry-maguire/profil/spieler/177907

How are you R2?

See my point about Championship Manager. These are the same kind of geeks that make up the 'ratings' for Transfermarkt, and they do a very good job. But a transfer fee is a particular player's value to a particular club at a particular time.

Case closed.

great buy for utd, just the right buy at the right time this makes the play ithe clubs got a long term plan and its commited to it  would have  LUVED him at spurs, however the only shame is i doubt he'll get to partnet bailly at his best, and jones? is he really lost 2 much of a yard? even so he'll still make a good enuf sitting middie  only shame is i've heard that old trafford is turning into a bit of  s'''t hole,,? thru SERIOUS lack of infesrtructure investment, tru anyone ? only what ive heard

Just now, RickG16 said:

How are you R2?

See my point about Championship Manager. These are the same kind of geeks that make up the 'ratings' for Transfermarkt, and they do a very good job. But a transfer fee is a particular player's value to a particular club at a particular time.

Case closed.

Rickeee, it's true it is a case of how much a club is willing to part with but the odd thing is no one else was willing to part with that kind of wedge. So it is not really about value as it is about one particular clubs desperation. Maybe not even the club's desperation but the guy whose head seems to be unchoppable.

Here's a bit of data based on mustafi at arsenal. I guess I'm trying to figure out how buzzing you Utd fans are with this purchase.

• Blocks - Maguire 18, Mustafi 17
  • Interceptions - Maguire 37, Mustafi 58
  • Tackles - Maguire 31, Mustafi 62
  • Tackles won - Maguire 17, Mustafi 45
  • Percentage of tackles won - Maguire 55%, Mustafi 73%
  • Clearances - Maguire 152, Mustafi 161
  • Headed clearances - Maguire 77, Mustafi 106
  • Aerial duels won - Maguire 118, Mustafi 123

13 hours ago, Mikisteel said:

Rickeee, it's true it is a case of how much a club is willing to part with but the odd thing is no one else was willing to part with that kind of wedge. So it is not really about value as it is about one particular clubs desperation. Maybe not even the club's desperation but the guy whose head seems to be unchoppable.

Club needs certain type of player. Club buys certain type of player. Doesn't look like desperation to me.

Anyway I'm quite worried about you. What's with all this changing account name?...... and Mikisteel??! that's absolutely lame. 

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Club needs certain type of player. Club buys certain type of player. Doesn't look like desperation to me.

Anyway I'm quite worried about you. What's with all this changing account name?...... and Mikisteel??! that's absolutely lame. 

Soon we'll have to ask the mods to rename this thread 'The Mikiii and Rikiii love in'.

I reckon Hairy Mugwire will do well for you. He's like one of your greats from the past; Arnie Sidebotham. ????