The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Just now, RickG16 said:

Club needs certain type of player. Club buys certain type of player. Doesn't look like desperation to me.

Anyway I'm quite worried about you. What's with all this changing account name?...... and Mikisteel??! that's absolutely lame. 

Don't think too much Rickeee not good for you. Take a leaf out of Woodward playbook and don't think too much. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bredbury Blue said:

Soon we'll have to ask the mods to rename this thread 'The Mikiii and Rikiii love in'.

I reckon Hairy Mugwire will do well for you. He's like one of your greats from the past; Arnie Sidebotham. ????

Face like a bag of smashed crabs. No lovin for you in sight, that much is clear.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Significant improvement to your defence but other areas surely lacking having lost a midfielder and a striker surely?

There's a feeling we might be one short considering it's a long season, but people getting too worried are misunderstanding how we are going to play this season. Let me explain....

Not much to it...it's going to be pace, pace, pace! We are not going to be a ponderous team with play dictated by a European playmaker (other than Pogba). Martial, Rashford, Chong, Lingard, Greenwood and James are all absolute flyers, I mean lightning quick! The job of the midfield will be to unleash them. 

At the back we look still one injury away from a weak spot, so let's hope this new fab four stays fit.

• Like 2

Just now, RickG16 said:

There's a feeling we might be one short considering it's a long season, but people getting too worried are misunderstanding how we are going to play this season. Let me explain....

Not much to it...it's going to be pace, pace, pace! We are not going to be a ponderous team with play dictated by a European playmaker (other than Pogba). Martial, Rashford, Chong, Lingard, Greenwood and James are all absolute flyers, I mean lightning quick! The job of the midfield will be to unleash them. 

At the back we look still one injury away from a weak spot, so let's hope this new fab four stays fit.

Your young lad Greenwood I reckon will get probably 25-30 games this season and that's a good thing.

Rashford and Martial need to really step it up if you are to do well.

Pogba remains a real concern for you...far too moody for my liking.

• Like 2

A hard read for you ManU fans but it's spot on. My favourite bit was about  Rednose:

"...his genius mitigated its initial impact. But even while he was accumulating silverware, the rot set in: Cristiano Ronaldo was sold for roughly £85m, then replaced by Antonio Valencia, Gabriel Obertan and Michael Owen for roughly £20m; generational players grew old together; and not a single midfielder was purchased between July 2007 and July 2012. So, when Ferguson retired a champion in 2013, he bequeathed a squad needing major surgery.".

So so true.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/09/manchester-united-needed-a-rebuild-this-summer-but-failed-to-act-once-again

20 hours ago, RickG16 said:

So ... kick and run.

On 8/9/2019 at 3:26 AM, RickG16 said:

One forward you forgot to mention Rick.....Sanchez still on the books.Perhaps a miracle might occur and he gets back to what he was at Arsenal,we can but dream.

I believe he played in a behind closed gates game last weekend against Blackburn.The players who didn't get a run against Milan played.Won 4-0 which I guess is irrelevant.

Still waiting to see what happens with Dalot. He is still only 20 and for me shows huge potential if you're good enough never too late to create a position for yourself.

eg..... Wan Bissaka was a winger ,Mc Tominay a striker in their early days

Fitness levels do appear to be better,last season they were well below par at this level

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 10:29 PM, RonniePickering22 said:

Pogba remains a real concern for you...far too moody for my liking.

Yes , the whole situation with Pogba, it will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Ole must be dreaming if he thinks he will be their key player this season.

3 minutes ago, balo said:

Yes , the whole situation with Pogba, it will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Ole must be dreaming if he thinks he will be their key player this season.

It will pan out the same way it did last year. Abundance of talent but an arse. He’s poison and until he leaves the club won’t truly kick on. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maguire and Bissaka, what can you say, just world class.
It looks like United's defensive problems from last season will not repeat itself.  First clean sheet in 15 games? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mikisteel said:

The scene is set. Pogba to play a blinder until the EU window shuts. And then what? 

Pogba is staying Madrid don't have the money to make Pogbas dream move happen they are more interested in Neymar.

2 hours ago, nev said:

Pogba is staying Madrid don't have the money to make Pogbas dream move happen they are more interested in Neymar.

Agree there won't be much change left if they buy Neymar. Said player needs to get his mind back on playing football if he's going to be of help to RM.

Only one game down 37 to go and United & supporters should not get carried away,far stronger teams around the corner ie Wolves who were dead unlucky last weekend.

* 3 players named in the BBC team of the week MacGuire ,Rashford and Pogba,the last named many will not agree with but that ball put through to Rashford not many players could make that pass + assist for James

* Average age of the team was 24,Probably the lowest for some time with 5 Academy players on the pitch at the same time.

*Ed Woodward just signed up another sponsor number 23, Yabo Sport, an official gambling partner for 2-3 million quid a season.Still no sign of a Director of Football

25 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

so thoughts on sanchez ? i'm with olly , he's a class act and it will be just a matter of time b4 he delivers, but the first thing is game time and there could well lie the prob forn him , he's slippin down then peckin order.

My thoughts are that he was a class act, but his legs have gone. The younguns we have with raw pace will only compound that.

Ole was playing the game. No point consigning him to the scrap heap, as that won't help shifting him. Also no point demoralising him if he's going to be with us for a while longer, I guess there is always a small chance we could see a renaissance....

9 hours ago, RickG16 said:

My thoughts are that he was a class act, but his legs have gone. The younguns we have with raw pace will only compound that.

Ole was playing the game. No point consigning him to the scrap heap, as that won't help shifting him. Also no point demoralising him if he's going to be with us for a while longer, I guess there is always a small chance we could see a renaissance....

We are light on up front we might as well keep him until January.

Let's hope he does come good and shows commitment like he does for Chile.

^^ never really thought he lacked commitment. when i've seen him admitedly under muri , he was played slightly deeper and just looked desperatly short of match fitness out of nick in cricket terms.. no surprise he's got injured ,so often happens when 'chasing 'fitness.  perhaps the recent run of chile games helped him along? .. if he doesnt get game time by xmas.. probably best he moves on .. be a  bloody shame to let such talent go to waste.

3 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

^^ never really thought he lacked commitment. when i've seen him admitedly under muri , he was played slightly deeper and just looked desperatly short of match fitness out of nick in cricket terms.. no surprise he's got injured ,so often happens when 'chasing 'fitness.  perhaps the recent run of chile games helped him along? .. if he doesnt get game time by xmas.. probably best he moves on .. be a  bloody shame to let such talent go to waste.

I hope he does come good and takes his chance when he gets in the team.

Really we should not be talking about him coming good or taking his chance he is paid superstar wages.

^^^  trouble is neve from what i saw of him he looked like he really needed a run of games and to  bang a few goals in to get through where he was at atm and given the competition  , looks like  all he's likely  to get is a few minutes off the bench  will that be enuf?  a conundrum for ollie. cos at 500 £ a week theres gonna be problems findin a new home 

35 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

^^^  trouble is neve from what i saw of him he looked like he really needed a run of games and to  bang a few goals in to get through where he was at atm and given the competition  , looks like  all he's likely  to get is a few minutes off the bench  will that be enuf?  a conundrum for ollie. cos at 500 £ a week theres gonna be problems findin a new home 

I'm sorry but he had more than enough opportunities to prove himself. Fine he's had some injuries, but I think there were many games in which he was a non entity. Trust us... we watch United every week!

Never say never, but it looks as if his time has gone now. There is no way he should be stopping the development of the likes of Greenwood and James, just because of his pay packet. If he can force his way back in on merit that's a different thing.

Can't see any reason why OGS would make any changes to the team tonight that played Chelsea.

Expect to see Martial ,Rashford,Lingard,James etc to be constantly changing positions think that works well with the obvious game plan they have. Wolves have real quality, far from an easy game

No more news on Pogba and Sanchez.Expect Pogba to stay and Sanchez more likely to go with United subsidising whoever comes in for him.

Of course if he does go and either Rashford or Martial ,or both, get injured going to leave big hole to fill.

If United had spent a fraction of the amount they did on Sanchez on someone with a Vardy mentality, aka goal poacher, would have made more sense until the likes of Mason Greenwood are ready to step up

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

If United had spent a fraction of the amount they did on Sanchez on someone with a Vardy mentality, aka goal poacher, would have made more sense until the likes of Mason Greenwood are ready to step up

If Alexis goes we do look a bit light up front, but I honestly think that's a testament to Greenwood's ability. I think we could be looking at a Giggs / Beckham talent who could make an immediate impact.

5 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

If Alexis goes we do look a bit light up front, but I honestly think that's a testament to Greenwood's ability. I think we could be looking at a Giggs / Beckham talent who could make an immediate impact.

Who is going to get you 20 goals?

Do you think Rashford could reach that target if playing regularly?

I read one of the pundits saying on BBC website saying he thought it was unfair pressure on him at 21 to become the main man with the sale of Lukaku and they should of prepared to buy someone else with his inevitable sale. 

Whats your thoughts?

Edited by Kadilo

15 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Who is going to get you 20 goals?

Do you think Rashford could reach that target if playing regularly?

I read one of the pundits saying on BBC website saying he thought it was unfair pressure on him at 21 to become the main man with the sale of Lukaku and they should of prepared to buy someone else with his inevitable sale. 

Whats your thoughts?

Martial looks to be the one who will play more through the middle (switched to the no 9 shirt from 11), so that will be on him. 

If Rashford shares that responsibility then of course he will be expected to score. But remember this is a guy who scored probably the calmest World Cup penalty I've ever seen by an England player.

But if either of those two look to be slipping, Ole has already said that Greenwood is the best natural finisher out of the lot. 

If Greenwood is really that good (looks to be almost perfectly 2 footed, has pace, good finisher and dribbler), then let's not block him with an overpaid mercenary. 

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Martial looks to be the one who will play more through the middle (switched to the no 9 shirt from 11), so that will be on him. 

If Rashford shares that responsibility then of course he will be expected to score. But remember this is a guy who scored probably the calmest World Cup penalty I've ever seen by an England player.

But if either of those two look to be slipping, Ole has already said that Greenwood is the best natural finisher out of the lot. 

If Greenwood is really that good (looks to be almost perfectly 2 footed, has pace, good finisher and dribbler), then let's not block him with an overpaid mercenary. 

Martial seemed to go through a dodgy period last season and looked a bit disinterested and sulky. There is no doubting his talent and he looks a different player so far but early days. I think Rashford can handle the extra responsibility. Looks a cool, level headed lad. 

Agree with the Greenwood scenario. Personally i can’t see any long term situation where Sanchez will stay a United player and hopefully that will open the door for him. 

21 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Martial seemed to go through a dodgy period last season and looked a bit disinterested and sulky.

I thought I replied, obviously not....

I think it's been about 2 seasons mate. I for one am not convinced by him yet but I want to be proven wrong a lot this season. 

Surprised OGS started James .For me he's not ready and should be used as an impact player with 20 mins to go when defenders legs are tiring ,he is still very much on a learning curve. Martial seems more comfortable now but Rashford or Martial have to take penalties, none of this who ever feels confident take it, that's very unprofessional. Pogba has just missed too many, 2 points dropped