The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

De Gea fall from grace is a worry and no clear reason.No longer Spain's no 1 and his current form for United has been scratchy at best. He seems reluctant to sign a new contract and maybe the club is considering it might be time to cash in on him as his value is surely heading south.

Dean Henderson's form while on loan has been exceptional and he may well represent the future and a United product has already signed a long term contract.

I've always considered Romero to be the best reserve keeper in the competition but he seems content as a no 2.

Such an important position, one you just have to get right.

If money is freed up lets for heavens sake buy a top, creative midfielder

On 9/4/2019 at 12:41 AM, Kadilo said:

Good to see Sanchez being positive about his time at United and saying no regrets moving there. 

Seems he wasn’t as injured as he was made to be at the end. Maybe just not OLS cup of tea. 

Considering he's only on loan and still contracted to

Man Utd until the end of the 2022 season, he's not exactly

going to cut his ties with the club as he could well be a Utd

player at the start of next season.

You make it sound like he's been sold and never returning.

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

De Gea fall from grace is a worry and no clear reason.No longer Spain's no 1 and his current form for United has been scratchy at best. He seems reluctant to sign a new contract and maybe the club is considering it might be time to cash in on him as his value is surely heading south.

De Gea's contract expires at the end of the season, could it

be that he's waiting to leave on a free?

At 29yrs of age it'll be his last big pay day.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9884191/david-de-gea-man-utd-contract-offer-free/

4 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Dean Henderson's form while on loan has been exceptional and he may well represent the future and a United product has already signed a long term contract.

I've always considered Romero to be the best reserve keeper in the competition but he seems content as a no 2.

Such an important position, one you just have to get right.

If money is freed up lets for heavens sake buy a top, creative midfielder

With all due respect mate, I think you are putting too much stock in the under 23s if you would put Henderson in over De Gea.

And while we are missing so many chances in the final third, do you really think it is a CM we are missing? How many times have we penetrated down the wings (the way we play now), but crosses have been unmet in the middle. None of our strikers are known to be competent headers of the ball. That seems to be the issue. And I am not saying we shouldn't have let Lukaku go. There are players who can fit the way we play while being proper centre forwards. Look at Chicarito's form here:

I'm looking at Henderson down the road a bit following his appearances at Sheffield United this season not the immediate future.That might mean a loan deal for someone if De Gea went in January ,otherwise he's on a free end of season.

I mentioned before Rashford is not a natural in the box finisher like VP or Van Nistlerooy were.Martial could,hopefully, be that man. Apart from Pogba whose current form is unconvincing  who else is there that creates. Mata and Lingrad don't, so quite a quandry.

I loved Chicarito's enthusiasm and timing, he was natural finisher who has bounced from club to club,never understood that

11 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Apart from Pogba whose current form is unconvincing  who else is there that creates. Mata and Lingrad don't, so quite a quandry.

But how can you say we aren't creating when we are missing so many chances?

Edited by RickG16

It's like England at the World Cup. People were saying we needed a better creative midfielder, but actually we didn't play that way and were making the most of the players we had. We were getting it to the front 2 as quickly as possible.

I'm not saying we wouldn't benefit from a Bruno Fernandes type, but realistically you'd have to drop Pogba for that. Pogba is not the problem. At the moment we are playing well, have improved in defence despite a couple of silly mistakes, but just don't have the cutting edge upfront. 

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

With all due respect mate, I think you are putting too much stock in the under 23s if you would put Henderson in over De Gea.

. There are players who can fit the way we play while being proper centre forwards. Look at Chicarito's form here:

The crucial back up singer. 

17 hours ago, RickG16 said:

But how can you say we aren't creating when we are missing so many chances?

Well lets wait and see,we are only 4 weeks into the season. Hopefully Greenwood will get more game time and I want to see more of Martial in a no 9 role. 

Best defensive effort we have seen for a long while. De Gea, it is rumoured, has signed a new contract he looked his old self.Hopefully that long running saga has been put to bed.

Games now start coming thick and fast and requiring obvious rotation. I think Mata has become a peripheral figure and Peirara is not making the best of his chances.

Apart from Bailly the current injuries don't seem too serious. Need to have all hands on deck

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

United with 42% at home and getting away it with against a pretty <deleted> Foxes performance now being lorded as a brilliant defensive performance. This season is starting better than expected. 

We deserved a lot more from 3 games this season IMO, so we are entitled to that kind of win. 

7 hours ago, RickG16 said:

We deserved a lot more from 3 games this season IMO, so we are entitled to that kind of win. 

I get your point about just needing to get the win, but to me you were one penalty away from another draw at home, a goalless one, albeit against a team better than your last 3 opponents. One penalty away from being 9 points off the pace and in the bottom half of the table. 

I don't see how this is going to be a better season for United, I honestly believe it is going to get worse before it gets better. And I think this OJS decision made on the hop is going to set you back further again. 

If anyone else would like inspiration for the week, drop me a DM #positivebob

10 hours ago, jellydog said:

You have to wonder if the amped up defensive intensity without Pogba has raised any eyebrows. Certainly a big difference between yesterday and when Pogba is loping about the pitch like a prince on holiday.

It made a big difference that Pogba was not giving the ball away in dangerous positions, I thought Mctominay was excellent.

Edited by nev

10 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

United with 42% at home and getting away it with against a pretty <deleted> Foxes performance now being lorded as a brilliant defensive performance. This season is starting better than expected. 

You didn't watch the game did you Bob Leicester was excellent in the 2nd half and we did well to keep them out.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nev said:

It made a big difference that Pogba was not giving the ball away in dangerous positions, I thought Mctominay was excellent.

He certainly put himself about.

What do you guys reckon to McT, is he good enough to be a permanent  fixture in your team going forward?

He certainly seems better than Matic; far more energetic, mobile and can go forwards unlike Static Matic.

56 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

He certainly put himself about.

What do you guys reckon to McT, is he good enough to be a permanent  fixture in your team going forward?

He certainly seems better than Matic; far more energetic, mobile and can go forwards unlike Static Matic.

Matic's legs have gone he was a great player a few years ago but now he is not up to pace, As for Scott he reminds me of Fletcher and is becoming a permanent fixture in the side, He puts himself about and is comfortable on the ball one of our better midfielder's for sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

I get your point about just needing to get the win, but to me you were one penalty away from another draw at home, a goalless one, albeit against a team better than your last 3 opponents. One penalty away from being 9 points off the pace and in the bottom half of the table. 

I don't see how this is going to be a better season for United, I honestly believe it is going to get worse before it gets better. And I think this OJS decision made on the hop is going to set you back further again. 

If anyone else would like inspiration for the week, drop me a DM #positivebob

Why? We had one game we were lucky to win, and three we were very unlucky not to. So what does that tell you about how we are are playing?

I really don't get this weird obsession with Man United from supporters of other clubs... actually I do get it, but that's a different story. Over two decades of dominance I can't remember once following Liverpool closely, couldn't honestly have cared less. Just a quick glance at the table to make sure they are where they should be. 

37 minutes ago, nev said:

he reminds me of Fletcher and is becoming a permanent fixture in the side, He puts himself about and is comfortable on the ball one of our better midfielder's for sure.

Interesting comparison, definately some similarities. I'd say Fletcher was probably better at popping up in the box with a goal every now and then. But both combative with a good engine. Like you say, the thing which marks McTominay out is his comfort on the ball in tight spaces. Maybe he is learning that side from Pogba.

9 hours ago, nev said:

You didn't watch the game did you Bob Leicester was excellent in the 2nd half and we did well to keep them out.

To be fair I only watched the Optus highlights package in the morning after falling asleep when the penalty was awarded live ????.

7 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Why? We had one game we were lucky to win, and three we were very unlucky not to. So what does that tell you about how we are are playing?

I really don't get this weird obsession with Man United from supporters of other clubs... actually I do get it, but that's a different story. Over two decades of dominance I can't remember once following Liverpool closely, couldn't honestly have cared less. Just a quick glance at the table to make sure they are where they should be. 

Hahaha here you again with you interpretation of Interest as a weird obsession and that we follow United closely, rather than me just doing what most United and Liverpool fans have done to each other for years, smug in the face of one another's misery and taking the <deleted> at every opportunity. You want to see weird obsession, just have a run through any Pep Guardiola press conference or interview, he likes to mention Liverpool at every opportunity. 

Your 2 decades of dominance ended nearly a decade ago, must be getting a sore neck looking up at the table all the time.