The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

21 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

United with 42% at home and getting away it

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

To be fair I only watched the Optus highlights package in the morning after falling asleep when the penalty was awarded live

You watched for less than 10 minutes but you're making comments  on the game against ManU fans! Creditability shot.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

9 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

You watched for less than 10 minutes but you're making comments  on the game against ManU fans! Creditability shot.

Optus have 25 minutes mini-matches the next day. They package the interesting stuff in a match. Why you give a <deleted> is less interesting.

I'm not making any comments against "ManU" fans, odd statement.

2 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Optus have 25 minutes mini-matches the next day. They package the interesting stuff in a match. Why you give a <deleted> is less interesting.

I'm not making any comments against "ManU" fans, odd statement.

No you were sticking the boot in about a game YOU DIDN'T SEE...based on highlights; kin hell.

19 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

You want to see weird obsession, just have a run through any Pep Guardiola press conference or interview, he likes to mention Liverpool at every opportunity. 

Talking of weird obsessions, think you'll find Klopp mentions City at every opportunity: here's an example from today, "We cannot be the best team in Europe because Manchester City are the best team in the world - that's the same planet, I heard". (BBC Football website)"

5 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

I would imagine Pep mentions Liverpool and Klopp mentions City a lot because journo's always ask as they are viewed as the biggest challengers to each other. Nothing to do with being obsessed. In fact, they are both probably bored to death about it

To be honest... this is correct. When we were in close title races with Blackburn, Leeds, Arsenal etc, of course I was checking their score and took a keen interest in their games. But Liverpool didn't come into that equation.

Maybe deep down Bob considers us a threat this season.

• Haha 2

Be very surprised if there are not quite few changes for tonight.Seems the perfect opportunity albeit I doubt a lot is known about the opposition.

Romero,Fred,Tueznabe, Jones ,Greenwood at least should be starting and hopefully some younger players coming off the bench with the proviso the game is at that time under control.

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Be very surprised if there are not quite few changes for tonight.Seems the perfect opportunity albeit I doubt a lot is known about the opposition.

Romero,Fred,Tueznabe, Jones ,Greenwood at least should be starting and hopefully some younger players coming off the bench with the proviso the game is at that time under control.

He's already pretty much confirmed that Greenwood will be starting. Definately a chance for Fred to shine.

It's funny... Ole always says he doesn't want to pile up too much pressure on Greenwood and hype him up, but that's pretty much what he does in every press conference ????

• Like 1

Well OGS certainly rolled the dice ,so many players started that haven't had a jot of game time.  I didn't expect so many.

Greenwood is now a legendary figure and hopefully as it appears,from reports, he is a stable young man with a huge future.

Fred seems to have come to grips with his game and he will add thrust to our rather mediocre midfield. Rashford is still a worry

A Europa win would still appear United's best way to the CL.

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Well OGS certainly rolled the dice ,so many players started that haven't had a jot of game time.  I didn't expect so many.

Greenwood is now a legendary figure and hopefully as it appears,from reports, he is a stable young man with a huge future.

Fred seems to have come to grips with his game and he will add thrust to our rather mediocre midfield. Rashford is still a worry

A Europa win would still appear United's best way to the CL.

Question now is who plays on Sunday... Greenwood, Rashford or both?

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Question now is who plays on Sunday... Greenwood, Rashford or both?

James is carrying a knock. Rashford seems more comfortable in space so he could play on the left.Martial would be my choice in the no 9 but must be in doubt leaving Greenwood with another chance. I'm not getting carried away with Greenwood's goal or potential we have seen it for a long time.People should not start putting expectations on him after one game in the first 11 but they will.

Rashford is feeling the weight of the hefty pay increase he got and he cannot live up to the money he is payed, and also his online posting as effected his game.

He is not worth the reported 200,000quid a week he gets, And what's with this taking all the free kicks is that in his contract too?.

I hope he does come good but since he burst on the scene and expectations are on him he has gone backwards.

He is at his level a one in four games scorer and that's not good enough.

Greenwood is a great young talent and he will surpass Rashford in years to come.

5 minutes ago, nev said:

Greenwood is a great young talent and he will surpass Rashford in years to come.

That may be true... but for now let's hope his emergence will give Rash a kick up the ass. 

Let's not forget how good he can be. It was a just few weeks ago he did that beautiful take down and finish from the Pogba pass.

Another thing which is worth noting, in my living memory United have never had a homegrown striker establish themselves in the team. Traditionally we have bought strikers in. The reason could be is that strikers aren't given the time to 'learn on the job', they need to start scoring goals regularly and hit the ground running. If we are going to give Rashford and Greenwood time to develop we can't expect them to be the finished article yet. I can only think of Kane as a homegrown striker to make it at a top PL side in recent times. It isn't easy. 

Edited by RickG16

13 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Talking of our free-kick problems @nev remember the fella who scores the first goal?

I seem to recall he was quite a handy finisher too! 

We should have been all over him bringing him back as a stop gap.

Ole knew Lukaku wanted out and Hernandez loving the club would have jumped at the chance.

50 minutes ago, nev said:

We should have been all over him bringing him back as a stop gap.

Ole knew Lukaku wanted out and Hernandez loving the club would have jumped at the chance.

He was still under contract with us I believe but his days were numbered a while back so you probably would of got him if you were willing to match the 7mil/ year plus he was on. 

Felt a bit sorry for him tbh. He never really got a run and Pellegrini obviously preferred to play a big man up front in preference to him. When he played he wasnt the player of old but he got a few injuries etc and lack of playing time wouldnt of helped. 

That said couldn’t fault his attitude or professionalism throughout. Some players like him leave and you just think “all the best hope it works out elsewhere”. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2

If only you had Hernadez, that would solve everything, especially the way you play now and as Marcus "debuted 3 years ago, but needs more time to bed in" Rashford is injured.

Do tell, what way is it you play now???

What is the positive spin this week lads?

Seriously, this is the most ordinary, characterless, weak minded United side I've every witnessed. You lads keep dressing it up ever week, you have a right to criticise you know. I'd be tearing strips off these if they were ours. 

Watched every minute this week, just to confirm what I said and predicted last week.

West Ham didn't even have to play at their best to beat you. 

Edited by BangrakBob

6 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

If only you had Hernadez, that would solve everything, especially the way you play now and as Marcus "debuted 3 years ago, but needs more time to bed in" Rashford is injured.

Do tell, what way is it you play now???

What is the positive spin this week lads?

Seriously, this is the most ordinary, characterless, weak minded United side I've every witnessed. You lads keep dressing it up ever week, you have a right to criticise you know. I'd be tearing strips off these if they were ours. 

Watched every minute this week, just to confirm what I said and predicted last week.

West Ham didn't even have to play at their best to beat you. 

It's funny, you claim to have watched the game, yet apparently you failed to realise our best player (Pogba), best striker (Martial) and most in form player (Greenwood) were missing. 

30 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

It's funny, you claim to have watched the game, yet apparently you failed to realise our best player (Pogba), best striker (Martial) and most in form player (Greenwood) were missing. 

Before I start, let me declare that I am a Manchester United fan and have been since the mid-1950s, so anything I say, be it to derogatory or not, comes from the heart and from being a footballer myself for many years.

Unfortunately I think a lot of what BangrackBob said is true, inasmuch as this was one of the worst displays I've ever seen, and the fact that there were a couple of key players missing (and I don't think Greenwood can be described as a key player) should be looked at in light of the fact that Pogba has not had a really good game in months, and Martial, good as he can be, is very sporadic in his play.

What was extremely obvious yesterday, and has been for many months, and is something that I have commented on before, is the fact that we have no creative midfield and haven't had for some time.

I remember a great coach I had often used to say something along the lines of, "if you can't control the midfield, you lose the game". And West Ham had most of the midfield play, and sad to say that I would place good money on the fact that a great percentage of passes that we had were between Maguire and Lindelhoff, so doesn't say much about our attacking play, or indeed any midfield domination.

The club and those who hold the purse strings have to bear the brunt of the criticism with regards to not making plays for good players in the transfer window, and also those who believed that United had the strength in their squad and youngsters to be able to carry them through this season – – and that includes OGS.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Pogba has not had a really good game in months, and Martial, good as he can be, is very sporadic in his play.

That's not true. And he would have made a massive difference to that midfield yesterday. Martial sporadic but I'm sure he would have put the ball in the net yesterday. 

La k of investment is coming back to haunt the Glazers who since they took over have taken out close to 1.8 billion since they took over us, Gary Neville saying we have spent 900 mil that's gross not net.

We have spent since 2005 50 mil per year exactly what David Gill said should be the limit and it hasn't changed.

Take a good look and read what I cut and pasted from a well known anti glazer red has put together a very interesting read!.

Screenshot_2019-09-23-18-44-03-799_com.android.chrome.png

• Like 2