The Official Liverpool FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Critchley's Press Conference: "Will be an under 19/20 team!" 

So looks like Shaq, Lovren, Matip et al are also on their hols! JK has really took a chance on tomorrow's replay. Personally I'd have played some of those returning from injury....especially at the back, Think Larouci (LB) is out injured so Adam Lewis might make a return if fit.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wilai said:

Critchley's Press Conference: "Will be an under 19/20 team!" 

So looks like Shaq, Lovren, Matip et al are also on their hols! JK has really took a chance on tomorrow's replay. Personally I'd have played some of those returning from injury....especially at the back, Think Larouci (LB) is out injured so Adam Lewis might make a return if fit.

Where do you sit on this mate.?

i was listening to a phone on yesterday from a range of Liverpool supporters and pundits, some who were quite scathing of Klopps decision to not personally attend the game, even if he wants to give his players a break. 
It appeared some found it very disrespectful to both Shrewsbury and the FA Cup  that he wasn’t going to attend and, I assume, go on hols himself. 

5 minutes ago, wilai said:

He's quite right to not get involved with the 'management' of the squad if, as it appears, no seniors at all will be playing. IMHO with regard to playing the kids in the first place, and not attending at all (if that is the case), he is emphasising his dissatisfaction with the PL and FA for the scheduling of replays during the 'Winter Break'. Although they reckon all PL clubs agreed to it, I reckon it was more likely a fait accompli.

Someone had to have the balls to stand up and be counted and attempt to stop it happening in the future. As for disrespecting the FA Cup, most PL teams play weakened XI's and a number of Championship clubs have followed suit especially this year. That shows more disrespect than a manager not turning up himself purely as a spectator. Actually, slightly annoyed he hasn't received more back up from his peers on the subject but I doubt he gives a toss. He is an emotional man with strong beliefs and is not afraid to voice them even if they go against the flow.

If the FA want the competition restored to it's former glory, it needs to take steps quickly. Restoring the draws to the Saturday Evening (preferably on a Sports program!) would be a start along with playing the games at the same time and not over 4 days. Move the semls away from Wembley. Other countries don't have replays afaik so why should we; Let the lower division team have home advantage (if they want it). Problem with doing most of the above is the TV Companies will rail against the ideas....so I doubt anything will happen!

Anyway, there's a few of my thoughts on the issue and to sum up...JK can do whatever the hell he wants tomorrow night. You never know, he might surprise us all as I've not seen any holiday pics ....yet!

I've seen him in Pattaya getting hammered on Soi LK Metro. He might catch the match on the telly.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, wilai said:

So looks like Shaq, Lovren, Matip et al are also on their hols!

Strikes me that Klopp is 'cutting off his nose to spite his face'. Fine that he's a man of principles, but some of those experienced players who haven't played so much of late could do with a run out, and having a few experienced heads among your kids could only be a good thing for the kids.

13 hours ago, wilai said:

He's quite right to not get involved with the 'management' of the squad if, as it appears, no seniors at all will be playing. IMHO with regard to playing the kids in the first place, and not attending at all (if that is the case), he is emphasising his dissatisfaction with the PL and FA for the scheduling of replays during the 'Winter Break'. Although they reckon all PL clubs agreed to it, I reckon it was more likely a fait accompli.

Someone had to have the balls to stand up and be counted and attempt to stop it happening in the future. As for disrespecting the FA Cup, most PL teams play weakened XI's and a number of Championship clubs have followed suit especially this year. That shows more disrespect than a manager not turning up himself purely as a spectator. Actually, slightly annoyed he hasn't received more back up from his peers on the subject but I doubt he gives a toss. He is an emotional man with strong beliefs and is not afraid to voice them even if they go against the flow.

If the FA want the competition restored to it's former glory, it needs to take steps quickly. Restoring the draws to the Saturday Evening (preferably on a Sports program!) would be a start along with playing the games at the same time and not over 4 days. Move the semls away from Wembley. Other countries don't have replays afaik so why should we; Let the lower division team have home advantage (if they want it). Problem with doing most of the above is the TV Companies will rail against the ideas....so I doubt anything will happen!

Anyway, there's a few of my thoughts on the issue and to sum up...JK can do whatever the hell he wants tomorrow night. You never know, he might surprise us all as I've not seen any holiday pics ....yet!

well put 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Strikes me that Klopp is 'cutting off his nose to spite his face'. Fine that he's a man of principles, but some of those experienced players who haven't played so much of late could do with a run out, and having a few experienced heads among your kids could only be a good thing for the kids.

Or the kids working out how to win with their own manager at their side under the lights at Anfield. What a magnificent experience for them as a group of players representing the World champions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Shows how worthless those are when you can't even win the Charity Shield ????

We were just giving you the chance to practice your penalty taking skills......doesn't appear to have paid off though????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wilai said:

We were just giving you the chance to practice your penalty taking skills......doesn't appear to have paid off though????

We're still practicing. Why else would Gundogan take one when Kun Aguero is on the pitch. I reckon if we get another penalty, Ederson will take it

5 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

We're still practicing. Why else would Gundogan take one when Kun Aguero is on the pitch. I reckon if we get another penalty, Ederson will take it

Apparently it was Kun who told Gunga Din he could have it...very surprising! Would love Ederson to take one and whack it against the bar. His face as the ball rebounds back over his head would be priceless!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wilai said:

Apparently it was Kun who told Gunga Din he could have it...very surprising!

I'll have to try and find a video cos in skysports today they say that there was no conversation between them on the pitch, suggesting it was decided before the match had started

4 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I'll have to try and find a video cos in skysports today they say that there was no conversation between them on the pitch, suggesting it was decided before the match had started

No worries.....was just going on what Pep said to the Beeb.

15 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

If they don't beat Shrewsbury they should hold their heads in shame. Even Rochdale beat them at the weekend

I haven no idea what is going on in those lower leagues. I watched Southend beat Lincoln at the weekend. First home win of the season. Lincoln prob the worse team I’ve ever seen (inc West Ham before someone else does ????currently sitting mid table not that far off the play offs. 

In consistency is the key I think. Prepare for the unexpected. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

This reluctance to let Ederson have a go pissssssssesssss me off. There is clearly nothing to lose.

Won 1-0.....Job done by the babes!

Didn't get up for it as I read that FA decided not to allow worldwide coverage! (Jokers devaluing their own tournament...you couldn't make it up!)???? Ist game I've missed all year but going by reports and Beeb stats, it appears we outplayed them and should have won by more. 12 shots v 3. Four on target v zero! 14 Corners v 3...and only 1 foul committed v 14....we definitely need to be more physical! 

Neco Williams was apparently superb. Good job he's welsh otherwise TAA may worry about his England place???? Another good performance from Chirivella (DM) who seems to have really come on this year. Not sure if he will be here next season but would be a cracking buy for someone if not.

Chelsea away next round. Wonder if JK and Frank will agree to play the <20s? At least it will give Sky Sports something to winge about!

2 hours ago, wilai said:

Won 1-0.....Job done by the babes!

Didn't get up for it as I read that FA decided not to allow worldwide coverage! (Jokers devaluing their own tournament...you couldn't make it up!)???? Ist game I've missed all year but going by reports and Beeb stats, it appears we outplayed them and should have won by more. 12 shots v 3. Four on target v zero! 14 Corners v 3...and only 1 foul committed v 14....we definitely need to be more physical! 

Neco Williams was apparently superb. Good job he's welsh otherwise TAA may worry about his England place???? Another good performance from Chirivella (DM) who seems to have really come on this year. Not sure if he will be here next season but would be a cracking buy for someone if not.

Chelsea away next round. Wonder if JK and Frank will agree to play the <20s? At least it will give Sky Sports something to winge about!

Th best part about it match was the atmosphere and crowd support, packed house. They just played like a younger version of the first XI, slick passing and movement. The kind of reminded me of the team from  the Coutinho era, lacking a bit of quality in the final 3rd to finish a team off and they missed some sitters in front of goal. 

• Like 2