The Official Liverpool FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

12 minutes ago, deej said:

Owl fly back to your cover of Darkness????

If Mcity win their remaining 10 matchs. a big IF

Lpool only have to pick up 6 points from their remaining 9 matchs

What r u smoking????

Yes, a big 'if', you are right.

But this C-19 thing could do funny things to footballer's brains. No touching, no hugging, no kissing, no jumping on each other's backs, no physical contact even (Mr Cullis would be happy). And what about the effect of face masks on performance? Some with beards might have to cut them off. Sanitizer all round the pitch for whenever anyone handles the ball.

Can't forget also, that in the last six games, Liverpool were not their best. Smashed by Watford, crushed by Chelsea, and put in their place by Atlético. Recall also that the two games they did win were lucky, undeserved victories, against Bournemouth and WHU; both by the odd goal. Go back a little further and they let in 5 in both matches against Accrington and Villa. So they are not invincible.

So OK, they have been consistent up to the first of those 4 defeats (Ao Md), but planning celebrations in Stanley Park, with 'Gerry and the Pacemakers' blaring out their hits, is a bit premature IMO.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

And what about the effect of face masks on performance?

On which planet are players having to perform in face masks with no physical contact and no beards?...... Certainly isn't this one????

Try watching the Bundesliga tonight and you'll get the idea of how things work.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, deej said:

Owl fly back to your cover of Darkness????

If Mcity win their remaining 10 matchs. a big IF

Lpool only have to pick up 6 points from their remaining 9 matchs

What r u smoking????

Hi R2D2

• Like 1

So....despite all the rumours; for some reason we didn't pursue Werner after all. I wonder;  is it the covid effect, or are we keeping our powder dry for a go at Havertz or Sancho?

If neither of these I would hope we look at Marcus Thuram. Should cost less than the aforementioned two and has impressed me for Gladbach since the re-start. Powerful and quick with a lot of skill for a big guy.

We will need someone as we'll lose Mane and Salah when the AfCoN starts. Update: However, news is now coming in to suggest the competition may be postponed for a year....possibly why we refused to pursue Werner?

Edited by wilai
update
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, wilai said:

So....despite all the rumours; for some reason we didn't pursue Werner after all. I wonder;  is it the covid effect, or are we keeping our powder dry for a go at Havertz or Sancho?

If neither of these I would hope we look at Marcus Thuram. Should cost less than the aforementioned two and has impressed me for Gladbach since the re-start. Powerful and quick with a lot of skill for a big guy.

We will need someone as we'll lose Mane and Salah when the AfCoN starts. Update: However, news is now coming in to suggest the competition may be postponed for a year....possibly why we refused to pursue Werner?

Sorry but i have to laugh, Liverpool don't get their man so all the comments about being after Werner are rumour's and the only fact is Liverpool didn't pursue him anyway, some people might say that all the comments about being after him were true and that they didn't pursue him was a rumour and perhaps Chels offered a lot more to him.

57 minutes ago, Herewe said:

Sorry but i have to laugh, Liverpool don't get their man so all the comments about being after Werner are rumour's and the only fact is Liverpool didn't pursue him anyway, some people might say that all the comments about being after him were true and that they didn't pursue him was a rumour and perhaps Chels offered a lot more to him.

Rumours are exactly what they were mate. Sometimes they turn out to be accurate, sometimes not. The only 'official'. statements I remember seemed to come from him/his agent. Even RB Leipzig denied that we had made any contact/bid.

Maybe you can find a quote from LFC stating thy had put in a bid themselves as I don't remember seeing one. I'm sure they were interested, just like they are in any top player on the market.  Maybe he got fed up of waiting for us to actually bid?

His deal is a very good one undoubtedly (if true I would imagine he will easily become Chelsea's top earner?) but is not beyond our reach as we already have a few already earning that much. If he did have to choose between the two clubs, I would think a guaranteed 1st team place was more likely to have persuaded him.

43 minutes ago, wilai said:

Rumours are exactly what they were mate. Sometimes they turn out to be accurate, sometimes not. The only 'official'. statements I remember seemed to come from him/his agent. Even RB Leipzig denied that we had made any contact/bid.

Maybe you can find a quote from LFC stating thy had put in a bid themselves as I don't remember seeing one. I'm sure they were interested, just like they are in any top player on the market.  Maybe he got fed up of waiting for us to actually bid?

His deal is a very good one undoubtedly (if true I would imagine he will easily become Chelsea's top earner?) but is not beyond our reach as we already have a few already earning that much. If he did have to choose between the two clubs, I would think a guaranteed 1st team place was more likely to have persuaded him.

How often does a club make an official statement that they are pursuing a certain player ? never.

Putting a bid in and pursuing are 2 different things !

Everything are rumours but your implying in your comment "for some reason we didn't pursue Werner after all" that this was fact, so was it fact or rumour ?

Edited by Herewe

14 minutes ago, Herewe said:

How often does a club make an official statement that they are pursuing a certain player ? never.

Putting a bid in and pursuing are 2 different things !

Everything are rumours but your implying in your comment "for some reason we didn't pursue Werner after all" that this was fact, so was it fact or rumour ?

Surely to pursue a player, putting a bid in would be an important part of any attempt. For me, to pursue a player would indicate making a concerted effort to sign him. It appears that we didn't. You are of course entitled to your own interpretation of the word. I'm not too bothered as to the semantics myself.????

38 minutes ago, wilai said:

Surely to pursue a player, putting a bid in would be an important part of any attempt. For me, to pursue a player would indicate making a concerted effort to sign him. It appears that we didn't. You are of course entitled to your own interpretation of the word. I'm not too bothered as to the semantics myself.????

Pursuing a player doesn't necesary mean putting a bid in for him.

"It appears that we didn't"  but you don't actually know that do you ? so like i said, purely a rumour.

21 hours ago, wilai said:

You don't half remind me of someone else Herewe. Unfortunately, he had to leave just before you joined the forum. Pity, as I think the pair of you would have got on really well. He was a Spurs lad as well.????

I fail to see what that has to do with the topic we were on ???? but i must admit it does seem to run in the family with us Spurs fans ????

Edited by Herewe

On 6/6/2020 at 4:56 PM, Herewe said:

Pursuing a player doesn't necesary mean putting a bid in for him.

"It appears that we didn't"  but you don't actually know that do you ? so like i said, purely a rumour.

Here's some Bob facts; he doesn't suit our style of play, he is not skilled enough on the ball to play in our system of making something out of nothing in tight spaces, like Mane, Firmino and Salah can. Sancho's ilk a much better match.

Edited by BangrakBob

2 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Here's some Bob facts; he doesn't suit our style of play, he is not skilled enough on the ball to play in our system of making something out of nothing in tight spaces, like Mane, Firmino and Salah can. Sancho's ilk a much better match.

Agree with your Sancho comment mate but he will be a lot more pricey. All the comments coming from LFC at the moment seem to suggest no big buys this summer...hope they're a smokescreen!

5 minutes ago, wilai said:

Agree with your Sancho comment mate but he will be a lot more pricey. All the comments coming from LFC at the moment seem to suggest no big buys this summer...hope they're a smokescreen!

I hear your in for Balotelli.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wilai said:

Yeah Klopp alluded to it in a recent interview, times are so volatile it's risky investing in a player when potentially the new season could be halted, we don't know yet.

Gate receipts, corporate boxes, sponsorships are all going to impacted.

Throw in the fact we have to adhere to FFP while not being able accurately forecast revenue makes it all a bit risky spending big on transfers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

times are so volatile it's risky investing in a player when potentially the new season could be halted

= your worldwide brand + revenue is still nothing compared to the real big boys. Don't expect the likes of Real + United to have a summer off in the transfer market. 

If you are serious about any kind of Klopp dynasty you'd be strengthening. But I'm sure you're content to dine out on this title win for decades. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

= your worldwide brand + revenue is still nothing compared to the real big boys. Don't expect the likes of Real + United to have a summer off in the transfer market. 

If you are serious about any kind of Klopp dynasty you'd be strengthening. But I'm sure you're content to dine out on this title win for decades. 

When your'e as far behind LFC (and City) as Man U are they have to spend big in an attempt to catch up whatever the situation is . So I do indeed expect them to buy big during the summer. More  a case of desperation than anything else. You guys have to spend big....we don't; ....a big difference!

JK has been building our team gradually over a few years. When he wants the best in a position we will pay the money required. World record fees for Van Dijk and Alisson are evidence of that. If we needed to do it again we have the money to do so, but at the moment, there is no need.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wilai said:

JK has been building our team gradually over a few years. When he wants the best in a position we will pay the money required. World record fees for Van Dijk and Alisson are evidence of that. If we needed to do it again we have the money to do so, but at the moment, there is no need.

I know it's a crazy, wacky, out there idea... but how about looking at the most successful English club in modern history?

In 1992/93 we'd just won our first title for 20 odd years. But we still brought in Roy Keane. That was before there was before the Champions League had grown and now demands a larger squad. 

You won't get very far without keeping the players who won the league on their toes. And new signings do that. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

In 1992/93 we'd just won our first title for 20 odd years. But we still brought in Roy Keane.

I wouldn't argue with Keane being a good buy....but didn't you need him as Robson was on his last legs?....... Were we in a similar position with any of our front three for instance, I would want to spend big as well but, as things stand, we don't need to spend 50 odd million plus 200k pw on a player just to keep the others "on their toes".

2 minutes ago, wilai said:

I wouldn't argue with Keane being a good buy....but didn't you need him as Robson was on his last legs?

Take Robson out of the equation completely. Ince + McLair was a title winning midfield. 

2 minutes ago, wilai said:

we don't need to spend 50 odd million plus 200k pw on a player just to keep the others "on their toes".

The more you talk about this, the more it becomes clear how new all of this is to you. You could actually learn a lot from the City boys. Ask them how easy it is to retain the title, even if you do strengthen. 

15 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

The more you talk about this, the more it becomes clear how new all of this is to you. You could actually learn a lot from the City boys. Ask them how easy it is to retain the title, even if you do strengthen. 

I must be a lot older than you think mate as I can remember being there when we retained the title on a number of occasions,...oh, and also when we retained the European Cup. So no, not new to me at all, sorry.????

To put an end to the debate. You need to buy, and now. Our need is not as urgent as yours, so I'm fine with our current position. 

24 minutes ago, wilai said:

I must be a lot older than you think mate as I can remember being there when we retained the title on a number of occasions,...oh, and also when we retained the European Cup. So no, not new to me at all, sorry.????

Those were the days when you could get by with a squad of about 14 players though weren't they.

25 minutes ago, wilai said:

I'm fine with our current position. 

It won't be your position for long unless you strengthen. You are completely naive, ignorant, and lacking in any ambition if you don't think you should spend any money. Or just admit you can't afford it. Which is it? 

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

It won't be your position for long unless you strengthen. You are completely naive, ignorant, and lacking in any ambition if you don't think you should spend any money. Or just admit you can't afford it. Which is it? 

Getting tiresome is this!????

Premier League 18/19:.......LFC 97 points, 31 ahead of Man U

Summer 2019 Spend.......LFC <2M, Man U >145m

January 2020 Spend........LFC 7.25M Man U 50m

Total Spend 19/20..........LFC <10m Man U >195m

Premier League 19/20:....LFC  82 points, 37 ahead of Man U (after only 29 games)

Spending loads of dosh is not necessarily the way to win the title as we are both proving at the moment.....Now see ya!:post-4641-1156693976:

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, wilai said:

Premier League 19/20:....LFC  82 points, 37 ahead of Man U (after only 29 games)

Spending loads of dosh is not necessarily the way to win the title as we are both proving at the moment.....Now see ya!:post-4641-1156693976:

I'm not making a comparison between Liverpool and United. We are discussing whether it is irresponsible not to strengthen if you are seeking to retain the title. 

1 hour ago, wilai said:

Ha! Ha! Troll alert!

13 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I'm not making a comparison between Liverpool and United. We are discussing whether it is irresponsible not to strengthen if you are seeking to retain the title. 

Massive point you are missing here, a global pandemic 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Massive point you are missing here, a global pandemic 

Yes, the biggest clubs still have the resources to spend during it. You don't, because you're not one of the biggest clubs.

Are we in agreement? 

32 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Yes, the biggest clubs still have the resources to spend during it. You don't, because you're not one of the biggest clubs.

Are we in agreement? 

No one said we don't have the resources.

However, your club is a great example that the old adage; if you throw enough <deleted> at a wall some will stick doesn't always ring true. I think you spent 390M during our 44 game unbeaten run and you couldn't be further away. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

No one said we don't have the resources.

However, your club is a great example that the old adage; if you throw enough <deleted> at a wall some will stick doesn't always ring true. I think you spent 390M during our 44 game unbeaten run and you couldn't be further away. 

Yup, we far behind you, and just focused on getting in the Champions League.

Meanwhile, you seem to have no clue what it takes to retain a title. Again.. completely mad idea... but let's have a look at the club who has retained the Premier League the most times. Wilai was dismissing the value of spending money to keep players on their toes... has it ever occurred to you what the most important role players who came and went like Poborsky, Forlan, or Blomqvist actually played? It was to keep title winning teams on their toes. They won't always break into the first XI, but they will make sure those in the first XI earn their keep.