The Official Liverpool FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Wilai was dismissing the value of spending money to keep players on their toes...

You really think spending over 100 million in fees/wages on a bench-warmer makes any sense .....particularly when you know income streams will be severely depleted next season? Just to keep players on their toes? No thanks mate, we've got a certain Jurgen who can do that job.

And anyway, the transfer window isn't even open yet! so give it a rest until it's closed (probably October)......or preferably the end of next season.

14 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Yup, we far behind you, and just focused on getting in the Champions League.

Meanwhile, you seem to have no clue what it takes to retain a title. Again.. completely mad idea... but let's have a look at the club who has retained the Premier League the most times. Wilai was dismissing the value of spending money to keep players on their toes... has it ever occurred to you what the most important role players who came and went like Poborsky, Forlan, or Blomqvist actually played? It was to keep title winning teams on their toes. They won't always break into the first XI, but they will make sure those in the first XI earn their keep. 

I'm not denying a team should strengthen on the back of a title win, but you can't compare your team needing to strengthen because it was only marginally better than the closest competitors at the finish line to a team that is 10 wins better at the finish line.
We strengthened in January when it wasn't particularly necessary to win the league. Just because he cost 7.5M shouldn't mean that wasn't strengthening. 

Also managers have different methods of keeping players on their toes and playing at their best. Ours doesn't need to spend money to do that, we've had a couple of crushing defeats, one cost us a Europa Cup and a places in the CL, the second was a CL trophy.  

In both the following seasons we came back better and got the prize, back to back CL finals takes some doing, you achieve these feats with being at your best week in week out and mentally stronger than your opponent. 

You don't come second to one of the greatest teams ever assembled by one point in the league then thrash the whole comp the next season without an even greater commitment than the season before. And we bought no one in that summer. 

Also as Wilai mentioned, we've not even started the transfer window yet. 

So what the <deleted> are you on about? ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

In both the following seasons we came back better and got the prize, back to back CL finals takes some doing, you achieve these feats with being at your best week in week out and mentally stronger than your opponent. 

You don't come second to one of the greatest teams ever assembled by one point in the league then thrash the whole comp the next season without an even greater commitment than the season before.

Personally I think there is less cause to strengthen when you have come agonisingly close... all of those players felt the pain of that near miss and wouldn't be complacent for sure. It's once you've won it you need to be careful.

Anyway, I'm pretty confident that Klopp agrees with me. Despite his cringe worthy media personna he is a very sensible chap when it comes to football. 

14 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Did he just say Poborsky?

I know it's a stretch but imagine you are David Beckham. You've just finished your first season in the United first team and think your the bee's knees. Then it's announced that one of the players of Euro 96 will be arriving to challenge for your position. You can either take your game up a notch or lose your place. Poborsky only showed a few flashes of what he could do at United. But make no mistake, his greatest benefit to the team could have been ignite the development of Beckham. 

25 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

. Poborsky only showed a few flashes of what he could do at United. But make no mistake, his greatest benefit to the team could have been ignite the development of Beckham. 

Yes he could of made Beckham think twice but as he was sh.ite he never. End of story. 

Moral of the story, don't buy players who had one good tournament (and look like girls) thinking they will make others step up. 

P.s sounds like he had a close shave when his head nearly exploded. Good he came through it

Edited by Kadilo

56 minutes ago, wilai said:

Gerrard Houllier would undoubtedly agree!!???? (in hindsight)

Same applies to Baros....

There can only be 11 players in a football team. Players who can't get into the team regularly will always be derided as 'flops'. But we have no way of quantifying the positive effect their presence in the squad has on the performance of first teamers. 

3 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Moral of the story, don't buy players who had one good tournament

35 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Same applies to Baros....

You do struggle sometimes Rick......Baros had his 'great' tournament in the 2004 Euros. They took place two years after he signed for LFC.!!!

He was decent as well. Would have been even more successful had he not suffered a broken leg which put him out for almost a season.

1 minute ago, wilai said:

You do struggle sometimes Rick......Baros had his 'great' tournament in the 2004 Euros. They took place two years after he signed for LFC.!!!

He was decent as well. Would have been even more successful had he not suffered a broken leg which put him out for almost a season.

Whatever.... I don't pride myself on knowing the career of Liverpool players. 

Regardless of who you were referring to, my point still stands.

1 hour ago, wilai said:

Behind closed doors friendly v Blackburn. Won 6-0. Mane, Minamino, Keita, Matip, Hoever and Clarkson with the goals

No Salah or Robertson involved. No news of the extent of their knocks.

Edited by wilai
quote updated
  • Like 1

Limping over the line...

But of course, no reinforcements needed.... Why don't your change your mind now. It will be more embarrassing later when most of your fan base say you need strengthening. 

Even Darren Gough on TalkSport can see you need to buy and he's not exactly the new Henry Winter is he?

1 hour ago, jellydog said:

Your boys were on fire today. The best I've seen from your bunch in quite a while.

Yep. A lot better than against the trickies. Bringing back the left footed players helped the balance of the side. They were badly missed the other day.

3 minutes ago, wilai said:

No opposition player was allowed to touch the ball in our box last night......First ever time this has happened in the Premier since OPTA started keeping stats. but we're "limping over the line" ????

If you're giving yourself a medal for beating Palace at home that says it all. Yes I know we didn't but we are talking about in the context of you putting together a legacy.

I'm confident that once the giddiness subsides you'll agree you should strengthen the squad.

2 minutes ago, deej said:

How can anyone , with half a brain, can be so critical of Liverpool,s performances this season , it,s been top notch,the EPL table confirms my observation, as a Chav too.

As for strengthing their squad remarks. what r u smoking, please pass it around.

Sure Klopp, has that situation, under his astute leadership????

Hi R2D2

41 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I'm confident that once the giddiness subsides you'll agree you should strengthen the squad.

At least wait for the bloody transfer window to open and then see where we stand. Looks like AFCoN has again been re-scheduled for Jan/Feb 21 so cover may indeed be needed. For me, If JK & Co don't want to spunk 100m plus on a benchwarmer, that's fine. They are the experts, not me...or you and Darren Gough!????

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

If you're giving yourself a medal for beating Palace at home that says it all. Yes I know we didn't

You're right....that does say it all.???? Everyone knows that Palace are no pushovers this season. They were on a winning run of four games and yet weren't given a kick!