The Official Liverpool FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Should have been a red card for that reckless scissor-tackle.

The VAR decision at the end was tight but I thought Mane looked marginally offside and VAR assessed him offside. Not nice when it happens to your own team but funny when it happens to someone else's team. 

Ekh0d_hWMAIkxzQ.jpeg

Medical expert Richard Keys says VVD has damaged his anterior cruciate ligament and would be out for 'seven to eight months'. I'm pretty sure they don't assess it straight away, with swelling and all, so I wouldn't be too sure Keys knows.

While I do not wish a class player like VVD to be out injured at all, it would be interesting though to see how you'd cope without him for the season.

21 hours ago, wilai said:

Different stories abound. Apparently they could have shown a card but the VAR ref (David Coote) was so busy checking offside that he didn't check the challenge itself. Mane was never offside for Hendo's goal as 'arms' do not count. The lines that I could see showed he was just on.

Either Coote is blind, stupid or corrupt. Maybe all three! Astro pundits marks out of ten for Ref and VAR team......0 and 3.

VAR aside, it was a good game with both teams playing to their strengths. Should have won it but the performance was excellent especially with losing VVD so early.

"The Athletic has been told that VAR did check Jordan Pickford's challenge on Virgil van Dijk but didn't deem it worthy of a red card. As Van Dijk went to control an overhead ball, Pickford slid in, with his left leg raised, knocking Van Dijk’s right knee, and did not make contact with the ball. The Liverpool defender, however, was given offside by the on-pitch officials, ruling out the possibility of a penalty. Liverpool have since contacted the Premier League to request a review of the use of VAR throughout the game.

Why wasn't Pickford sent off?

That is hard to say but it came down to the subjective decision of the VAR, David Coote.

He wasn't looking at just a potential red card but also checking for a possible penalty for Liverpool and offside against Van Dijk. Van Dijk was given offside, so the possibility of a penalty was ruled out.

However, The Athletic understands Pickford still could have been sent off for serious foul play, despite the ball technically not being in play.

But Coote decided that Pickford's challenge was not a red-card offence.

What does the rule say about serious foul play when the ball is not in play?

Although a free kick or penalty can only be awarded when the ball is live, there is nothing explicit in the FA laws of the game about serious foul play only applying when the ball is live.

The Athletic understands in situations like this, where a possible offence happens when the ball isn't in play, serious foul play can still be considered by the officials.

Could Pickford have been sent off for violent conduct?

He couldn't have been punished for violent conduct because he was challenging for the ball.

This is different from the red card given to Anthony Martial for his offence against Erik Lamela two weeks ago.

As Martial was not challenging for the ball and “deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm”, he was guilty of violent conduct..."

Wow..

that's a blow skipper out for? .... The season.  NO DOUBTS pickford is a COMPLETE <deleted>. . And keeper out. probably the only 2 positions u can't adequatly cover and WILL effect your levels ..   doesn't this season, truly have a unique weirdness  of its  v own .. 

3 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Wow..

that's a blow skipper out for? .... The season.  NO DOUBTS pickford is a COMPLETE <deleted>. . And keeper out. probably the only 2 positions u can't adequatly cover and WILL effect your levels ..   doesn't this season, truly have a unique weirdness  of its  v own .. 

Laporte being out last season had no effect on City 

As expected, that assault has probably put VVD out for the season. Biggest worries now are keeping Gomez and Matip fit which given their histories seems a forlorn one, and how long Alisson remains out for. Obviously Fabinho can play at CB if required but without VVD we are going to be a lot weaker in the air and susceptible to crosses. Even the weaker teams can target us there especially as commanding his box is one of Adrian's biggest weaknesses. Gonna be an interesting few months to see how the rest of the team adjust to keep crosses and long balls to a minimum. I hope the kid Koumetio can keep on improving as he could be an answer. Only 17, but his size and aerial ability mean he is rarely beaten at junior levels.

One thing though...I'm sure that despite our injuries, we'll make a better fist of defending the Premier League than City did!????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wilai said:

One thing though...I'm sure that despite our injuries, we'll make a better fist of defending the Premier League than City did!????

We defended our' title by winning it again, to make it 2 on the bounce. Let's see if you can retain it once before saying you'll make a better fist of defending it than we did.

On another note, apart from VvD what other key players are injured? Don't forget, your guys crippled Leroy Sane and put him out for a year but no sympathy was given 

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

On another note, apart from VvD what other key players are injured?

A fair few of the squad actually as well as VVD.   Alisson, (don't get much more key than a keeper); Tsimikas, Thiago and Ox are all currently injured. Others this season so far have been: Mane, Hendo, Keita,  Matip, Gomez, Origi and Shaq. That makes twelve players and the season is only 5 matches old. 

Oh and the year you defended it. IIRC Laporte was injury free all season......Your difference maker.

• Like 1

After finally calming down and reflecting, I'm still shocked at the incompetence of the officials for both VvD injury and Manes goal. 

I don't think it was conscious effort from Pickford, he is just thick as pig sh$te, I mean the lad palmed a ball back in to play in injury time to ensure we won a derby. The fact he goes unpunished is hard to take though. 

I think Fabinho will step back to cover for the meantime, like Wilai said we are going to suffer without big Virg, and Calvert-Lewin showed exactly how when defending crosses. 

Going forward less so, but his 60 yard passes and leadership will also be surely missed. 

Reckon we will be in for a CB in January.

Anyway 10 years and counting for blues is a positive and how good is Thiago, a joy to watch. 

38 minutes ago, wilai said:

A fair few of the squad actually as well as VVD.   Alisson, (don't get much more key than a keeper); Tsimikas, Thiago and Ox are all currently injured. Others this season so far have been: Mane, Hendo, Keita,  Matip, Gomez, Origi and Shaq. That makes twelve players and the season is only 5 matches old. 

Oh and the year you defended it. IIRC Laporte was injury free all season......Your difference maker.

Blimey. We have more than that out every week. Mane, Hendon, Thiago, Gomez all either started or played and the rest (excluding Alisson) wouldnt knock any of the others off from starting. You were lucky last season that you hardly had anybody out.

Oh and the year we successfully defended it, we had KdB out for half a season and Kompany (our rock) only played 17 games

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wilai said:

As expected, that assault has probably put VVD out for the season. Biggest worries now are keeping Gomez and Matip fit which given their histories seems a forlorn one, and how long Alisson remains out for. Obviously Fabinho can play at CB if required but without VVD we are going to be a lot weaker in the air and susceptible to crosses. Even the weaker teams can target us there especially as commanding his box is one of Adrian's biggest weaknesses. Gonna be an interesting few months to see how the rest of the team adjust to keep crosses and long balls to a minimum. I hope the kid Koumetio can keep on improving as he could be an answer. Only 17, but his size and aerial ability mean he is rarely beaten at junior levels.

Nat Phillips should be in contention at age 23. Otherwise, I don't see how he is still at the club and not been loaned out or transferred.

59 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Oh and the year we successfully defended it, we had KdB out for half a season and Kompany (our rock) only played 17 games

He only played 17 in the season you didn't defend it too, to be fair your "rock" didn't play more than a third of an EPL season for his last 4 seasons. And barely did more than two thirds for the rest his City career ????????‍♂️ 

25 minutes ago, champers said:

Nat Phillips should be in contention at age 23. Otherwise, I don't see how he is still at the club and not been loaned out or transferred.

Im sure he will Champs. There were 4/5 Championship  clubs after him in the window but he picked up a knock. Then, towards the end of the window, LFC decided they wanted him to stay put.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

VVD out for the season for sure and maybe never the same player again.

Very sad news for the lad.

He's tough mate. He'll be back. He's had worse! Nearly died when he was 17 from a burst appendix, peritonitis and a kidney infection. Reached the stage where he had signed a will but he came through.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 7:24 PM, wilai said:

Ridiculous Law.....You can maim someone without punishment if they are offside!????

It was a reckless and terrible tackle and the keeper should have walked for it.

My leg was broken (in the lower leagues) by a similar one, and it snapped like a carrot, and watching this made me shudder. I hope VVD recovers well.

• Like 2

Good news didn't last long.......Matip went for a scan today. Unspecified injury. Looks like Fab better start practicing his heading skills.

Update: Reports coming in that hospital visit was actually Saturday. If it was for a scan, LFC haven't released results as yet. JK Press Conference tomorrow.

Edited by wilai
update

Wild card but if LFC can only buy from lower domestic right now. Why not take a punt on Ashley williams. He will not fill the void fully but he is an LFC fan and that would ensure 10% more out of any player. Williams is still a strong defender and is still match fit. Could be worth exploring even if it means a stop gap till Jan.

12 minutes ago, Jack Hna said:

Wild card but if LFC can only buy from lower domestic right now. Why not take a punt on Ashley williams. He will not fill the void fully but he is an LFC fan and that would ensure 10% more out of any player. Williams is still a strong defender and is still match fit. Could be worth exploring even if it means a stop gap till Jan.

Transfer window for lower leagues closed on 16th. Could still go for Williams as he doesn't actually have a club....I think that tells it's own story! I would rather one of the youngsters was given a chance. They have to learn sometime. Champers' favourite (Nat Phillips) is now 23 and did well on loan at Stuttgart. I would try him if Koumetio is judged too young.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wilai said:

Good news didn't last long.......Matip went for a scan today. Unspecified injury. Looks like Fab better start practicing his heading skills.

Update: Reports coming in that hospital visit was actually Saturday. If it was for a scan, LFC haven't released results as yet. JK Press Conference tomorrow.

Slight muscle injury. Not serious but will be assessed before Ajax game.

• Like 1