The Official Liverpool FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

On 10/17/2020 at 8:45 PM, wilai said:

Either Coote is blind, stupid or corrupt. Maybe all three!

Coote has already been kicked off the VAR team once last February for missing Lo Celso's stamp on Azpilicueta. He is clearly not up to the job and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Stockley Park.

6 minutes ago, wilai said:

Coote has already been kicked off the VAR team once last February for missing Lo Celso's stamp on Azpilicueta. He is clearly not up to the job and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Stockley Park.

It would be interesting to know how someone like this got the job in the first place.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wilai said:

By coincidence, I was just reading this with my lunch....sorry for c&p but saves me thinking of a response????

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-van-dijk-alisson-injury-19124810

As soon as I saw Liverpool Echo I didn't doubt it would paint a bias picture. ???? Making it sound like Alisson was out for a huge amount of games (across all comps) he played 29 PL games which isn't bad for a season. Yeah not 100% but not too bad. As for the rest of the injuries, not huge losses. Would Ox, Matip and Keita all be first choices if everyone was fit?

On 10/19/2020 at 11:33 PM, wilai said:

Matip was rather upset with that challenge????

Who is that player doing the funny walk?

Pickford was angry at the news that he would be having to take care of mum for two weeks, instead of Roon.

2 hours ago, wilai said:

A dogged performance tonight. Neither side managed to grab the initiative or put concerted periods of pressure on the other. Nevertheless, a 1-0 win courtesy of a bizarre own goal from Tagliafico ensured we came away with the three points. Fabinho was superb at the back, winning duels both on the ground and in the air and based on his current CB performances could even be considered our #1 in that position. Robertson linked well with Mane who was his usual dangerous self, setting up the goal and a number of other chances.

JK took the unusual step of substituting all three strikers at the same time after an hour. Minamino, Jota & Shaqiri replaced them with the 1st two both caming close to scoring towards the end. A satisfactory if unspectacular performance but the important thing is three  away points in the bag!

I liked the fact the triple sub came off. JK giving the front 3 some rest, and the other 3 some confidence. I thought Fabinho was immense and a deserved man of the match. The goal was also deserved based on the turn Mane did to get his scuffed shot away. 

Hendo coming on really helped keep things steady in the second half, he stoped heads falling off.

Great win for me. 

Lastly, Diogo Jota is s <deleted>in baller and is one them that JK sprinkles a bit of "turn in to a top European player dust" on this season. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 11:30 PM, wilai said:

He's apparently been kicked off the VARteam again. 4th official duty beckons I think.????

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

Lastly, Diogo Jota is s <deleted>in baller and is one them that JK sprinkles a bit of "turn in to a top European player dust" on this season. 

Diogo certainly gives us a great option with his pace and enthusiasm. I also liked Minamino in Firmino's role as he was always looking to get into dangerous positions. Question is: Will JK give him the chance(and will he hack it?) in the more physical Premiership?

17 minutes ago, wilai said:

Diogo certainly gives us a great option with his pace and enthusiasm. I also liked Minamino in Firmino's role as he was always looking to get into dangerous positions. Question is: Will JK give him the chance(and will he hack it?) in the more physical Premiership?

Looks ready to me, give him the first 45 with Mane and Salah. 

• Like 1

Thought you looked tired/off the pace  tonight.. AND vulnerable at the bac. Sayin that once you scored, despite sheff utd creating some decent openings. 4 me there  was only gonna be one winner...

Thats the good news... The bad news is  Physios/med people have told me, as a rule of thumb .. and I've got to say I've watched it over the years and it ALWAYS seems right... Players that suffer cruciate ligement injuries AFTER 27... Never come bac the same player, Always a yard slower.. as I've said I've watched it and I'm sorry to say it's seems  right.. let's hope your man is the exception.

Well at least we still know how to win ugly! Can't even blame the heavy pitch in Amsterdam for tiredness as Ajax won 13-0 earlier. However, whilst Sheff U have a lot of weaknesses, they are not a team you want to play after a European away day. They work their 'deleted' off and continually switch play meaning a lot of chasing and physical challenges.

As to VAR. Again we are at the wrong end of a decision. You could clearly see that the ball traveled away from goal showing that Fabinho had played it. Therefore it was a clear and obvious mistake to award the foul in the first place! Having checked the replays, the very least Mariner could have done was advise Dean to check the pitchside monitor but he decided to ignore the fact and award the pen anyway. Can't blame the technology, just the inconsistent and incorrect application by the officials.

As to individual performances, I thought Hendo (as usual) was everywhere and Salah was extremely unlucky not to get a couple. Jota did well but I think playing 4 attackers may leave us lacking elsewhere...time will tell!. Central defence did look uneasy at times due to being reactive rather than proactive as we were with VVD playing. Hopefully this can be worked upon in training as it will cost us against better finishers.

Anyway, joint top with the trickies (for now anyway) without hitting form so things look promising in that respect.

• Like 2

I thought we were moving along nicely and Sheffield were readying for the inevitable when AGAIN a wrongly issued free kick that AGAIN was not reviewed because the ref was not advised to became a <deleted> penalty. This is becoming a real problem in the game and it needs addressing. 

The penalty then gives United hope and impetus to hang on and set up tp defend that goal.

The whole dynamic changes, the fact we overcame that and won is credit to the lads. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wilai said:

Well at least we still know how to win ugly! 

I think that's the difference between City and Liverpool during the past 14 months. Teams set up to frustrate us with some success, in the 2 title winning seasons we could win dirty and/or late. Liverpool still have that in their locker.

It's a weird season so far.

I didn't see what they were referring to,  but Micheal Owen

AND Ryan Giggs both agreed at halftime that it was penalty saying that he had part of his foot on the line when he made the foul.  Second phase of the 'tackle' ? Not sure    but they both agreed ... it was  a penalty..

Just now, 3 minus 2 said:

AND Ryan Giggs both agreed at halftime that it was penalty saying that he had part of his foot on the line when he made the foul.  Second phase of the 'tackle' ? Not sure    but they both agreed ... it was  a penalty..

It wasn't a foul.

It was a penalty because the foot was touching the line, but the foul should have been checked again as Fabinho got the ball, well timed, perfectly good tackle. 

24 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

I saw and heard that as well. Was a load of rubbish from both of them.  Of course there was contact....AFTER Fabinho had won the ball fairly with a slide tackle, the player's impetus caused a collision. Football is a contact sport after all! 

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I think that's the difference between City and Liverpool during the past 14 months. Teams set up to frustrate us with some success, in the 2 title winning seasons we could win dirty and/or late. Liverpool still have that in their locker.

It's a weird season so far.

Your squad strength is poorer as well.

Edit: In saying that Foden did well yesterday.

Edited by RonniePickering22