The Official Liverpool FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

This type of punditry should not be rewarded with readers, nor payment for this <deleted>. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 8.04.16 pm.png

Yes it was. Sala is a disgrace. Do liverpool really have to resort to cheating?

Edited by fishtank

On 11/1/2020 at 10:51 AM, wilai said:

Giving MoM to either of the subs would be fair but given the circumstances and media waffle about our CB's (or lack of!) it has to go to Champer's mate Nat Phillips. He didn't give 40m signing Haller a sniff, dealing confidently with all the high balls thrown at him. He was also calm and effective in possession and certainly didn't play like a debutant brought in at short notice. 

So pleased for him. One that got away at Bolton; Rob Holding blocked his progress a bit. I would love to see the pair of them lining up for England in next summers Euros. Not beyond the bounds of possibility with the lack of quality of the current contenders. Sad to include Gomes in that grouping. He hasn't really lived up to expectations.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

This type of punditry should not be rewarded with readers, nor payment for this <deleted>. 

I think if you held your hands up though mate, he did dive and give a most awesome ladyboy scream to boot. I was hoping VAR would cut this out but it seems that the slightest of touches gets rewarded with a pen nowadays. So technically they get a pen but because we watch the replay over and over it, their sportsmanship certainly gets called into question and I would argue brings the game into disrepute. It's stuff like that why every other sport slag football off. And before you say it, I know, he isn't the only one.

13 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Is it because a pattern is forming?

Even Souness has slagged him off for the one against West Ham. That's quite a statement from a Liverpool legend

The only pattern is the one of outrage when it's Salah but when it's the likes of Kane or Sterling it's clever and they all move on instantly. Perfect example is Kane diving over Lallana on the weekend, and the million other times he has done it. 

Salah has had no penalty award between sept 19 - and sept 20. He got <deleted> thrown at him for not going down when there's contact and now when he does like anyone else he's the devil incarnate. The guy caught him, it is a foul. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Salah has had no penalty award between sept 19 - and sept 20. 

Wow. 1 whole day ???? I know, I know.

On a serious note. Don't think I've slagged off Salah before for this but that's irrelevant to this incident. Yes he got tapped but to throw himself to the ground screaming like an extra in Friday 13th (other scary movies also available) isn't sportsmanship. As I said, he isn't the only one and I was hoping VAR would end this behaviour.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Wow. 1 whole day ???? I know, I know.

On a serious note. Don't think I've slagged off Salah before for this but that's irrelevant to this incident. Yes he got tapped but to throw himself to the ground screaming like an extra in Friday 13th (other scary movies also available) isn't sportsmanship. As I said, he isn't the only one and I was hoping VAR would end this behaviour.

No-one likes divers do they? But if he hadn't gone down, would it have gone to VAR, been checked and the penalty given like it was here? Or would the foul not be reviewed and penalized because Salah stayed on his feet? 
Looking for patterns, a stat from last season for freekicks/penalties given for fouls against them:
Salah 18 
Grealish 167

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

The guy caught him, it is a foul. 

Def a foul and a clumsy challenge but no need for the theatrical stuff. Agreed about Kane and recently Son. Sad to see top players feeling the need to con referees. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kadilo said:

Def a foul and a clumsy challenge but no need for the theatrical stuff. Agreed about Kane and recently Son. Sad to see top players feeling the need to con referees. 

Would not have mattered how it went down you were bound to get done. Spam.

1 minute ago, Jack Hna said:

Would not have mattered how it went down you were bound to get done. Spam.

Welcome back. 3 days seems ages sometimes doesn't it? 

Yes most teams do go down to Liverpool but not quite the 7 you predicted was it?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Welcome back. 3 days seems ages sometimes doesn't it? 

Yes most teams do go down to Liverpool but not quite the 7 you predicted was it?

Bit of gang bang this 1 tho.

Strange how you are so well informed.

• Haha 2

Atalanta 0-5 LFC......Best performance of the season so far. Long may it continue. Obviously Jota with his brilliantly taken hat trick was MoM but all played really well. Gomez showed good leadership at the back and Salah and Mane were as dangerous as ever on the counter. Jones had his best game so far, working hard all over the pitch and Williams was calm and composed up against three top class strikers.

Atalanta's style meant it was always gonna be an open game and we punished the space left behind their full backs very effectively. Whilst Alisson (and the post) made the odd stop, we could easily have got a few more ourselves! But not being greedy, a five nil win will do nicely in what was considered our hardest game in the group. Nine points after 3 games. Good result at home against Atalanta and we'll be able to rest a few players in December.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wilai said:

Atalanta 0-5 LFC......Best performance of the season so far. Long may it continue. Obviously Jota with his brilliantly taken hat trick was MoM but all played really well. Gomez showed good leadership at the back and Salah and Mane were as dangerous as ever on the counter. Jones had his best game so far, working hard all over the pitch and Williams was calm and composed up against three top class strikers.

Atalanta's style meant it was always gonna be an open game and we punished the space left behind their full backs very effectively. Whilst Alisson (and the post) made the odd stop, we could easily have got a few more ourselves! But not being greedy, a five nil win will do nicely in what was considered our hardest game in the group. Nine points after 3 games. Good result at home against Atalanta and we'll be able to rest a few players in December.

Played some cracking stuff. They played into your hands with their open style but some cracking goals. Jota looks a real decent buy. Will he keep Firmino out now?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Played some cracking stuff. They played into your hands with their open style but some cracking goals. Jota looks a real decent buy. Will he keep Firmino out now?

Never know what JK is thinking but I bet Bobby F is sweating now. Jota was limping slightly when he went off so that may be an issue. I hope Jota starts against City though.  On form he certainly deserves to.

• Like 2

A draw was a fair result in the end. LFC started brightly and bossed City's midfield in the early stages. Then the position reversed and KDB ran the show for a spell in the middle of the half. 2nd half was more tactical with neither side willing to take too many chances. In the end, both teams seemed content to play out the draw and, especially in LFC's case, looked as if midweek exertions were taking their toll!

Main talking point was yet an other dubious VAR decision. This time Gomez was adjudged to have handled a KDB cross and a pen given. Yes, the ball hit his hand but are defenders seriously expected to sprint at 20/30kmh with their hands behind their backs??? The new rules are spoiling the game. And each amendment they make seems to exacerbate the situation!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Was that the only talking point? Not the fact Sterling got fouled before you ran up the other end and got a penalty....again

Didn't the ref play advantage? At least that was Keane's take on it

• Like 1

Thought we played well at times, some of the build up play was exceptional and just when you expect us to make them pay it broke down in front of goal. A few times the front 3/4 should have pulled the trigger instead of pushing that last pass. 

I don't think conditions helped much in the second half,  the pitch really did slow up with the rain. 

Had enough of VAR, I'd rather go back, they can't get it right. 

Another injury with Trent breaking down, looks like 4 weeks. I hope the FA does listen to the Science and bring the 5 substitutions in. 

As an aside, KDB is a pleasure to watch. 

Edited by BangrakBob
  • Like 1

Sitting 3rd is a pretty good return considering the amount in injuries sustained or currently enduring. And we've played City, Chelsea, Everton away and Arsenal at home. 

Alisson

VvD

Matip

Gomez

Fabinho

Tsimikas

Thiago

Keita

Henderson 

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Mane

Shaqiri