The Official Liverpool FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

LFC 1-0 Ajax. Good all round performance despite the ever growing number of injuries in defence and midfield. The withdrawal of Alisson before the game was a worry but Kelleher, making his European debut, performed admirably making a number of saves and looking calm and composed whenever Ajax threatened.

MoM for me though was Curtis Jones. Scored a well taken goal; hit the post and was effective when carrying out defensive duties. Looks like he is developing into a very good 'box to box' midfielder. Neco Williams was much improved and did well against the highly touted Neres as well as getting an assist for the goal. His performance should boost his confidence after the flack he's recently taken from numpties on #Twatter! The more experienced players also did their bit but tonight's stars were the youngsters. To quote Pete Townsend..."The Kids are Alright"!

Anyway, Top of the group with a game to spare so maybe the canteen staff will get a chance next week?

LFC 4-0 Wolves......Good all round performance against a Wolves side not at their best, particularly in the 2nd half. They certainly missed Raul and, for once Coady had a mare. We ran the midfield throughout with Jones, Hendo and Gini in particular in cruise control. Kelleher was calm and composed when required and Williams did very well containing Traore when he was targetted in the 2nd half. Great to see and hear the 'mini' Kop again.????

• Like 1

Danes 1-1 LFC. Just a draw in the 'dead rubber' but more gametime for the youngsters. Clarkson in particular played very well and our midfield is looking well set for the future if he and the likes of Jones keep improving. Koumetio became our youngest European debutant and Kelleher also did well, He was slightly unfortunate to concede a pen when VAR over ruled the linesman's offside decision. VAR also disallowed a Minamino goal for hand ball when it looked to me (and the commentators!) that the ball cannoned off a Danish hand!

To sum up, a good first half where we should have put the game to bed in all honesty. An average 2nd half, partly due to VAR stopping the match for a good 10 minutes. Origi's days must be numbered and Minamino/Keita need to get on the ball more to have a greater effect on games otherwise the youngsters will usurp them!

• Like 2

1st half half a yard of the in pace... Lost to many battles and imo were fortunate to only be 1.0 down  .. 2nd half MARKED improvement.. however a v v harsh penalty got you a point.. your all gonna bleat like klopp bout the foul in the build up to their goal.. 50 50.. your man was backin into him so was he impeding the Fulham player? as I said 50 50.... As for your pen... Tbh my gut feelin was the ref was lookin to balance his mistakes out... And the Fulham player  made it easy for him... Still makes Wednesday all the more interesting.. Tbh can't see us getting 3 points..but who knows as we all know football is a funny old game.

• Like 1

Got away with one there. Atrocious first half performance with only Alisson the difference between yesterday and another embarrassing Villa like defeat! As mentioned by 3-2, we were second to every ball, the passing was dreadful and there were gaps everywhere at the back. Was a definite push in the build up to the goal but it was still a relief reaching half time only one behind.

2nd half was a different story. Young Jones was the catalyst for most things and his Maradona style run deserved a goal. He also won the freekick that led to the pen. As for the penalty itself. it clearly hit the guy's elbow and I would have been p***ed had it not been given. 

Are injuries and fixture pile ups finally taking their toll? We certainly missed Jota as the front three all looked pretty tired. I thought Matip was struggling from Fulham's first attack so no surprise he came off at half time! Most of the regulars looked flat and error prone. Maybe more mental than physical? The pressure of performing over the last 2 and a half seasons could be getting to them. If that is the case then we'll struggle all season against even the weaker sides. 

Still joint top so I'll take that and just hope the likes of Thiago and Jota return soon to give a much needed lift.

• Like 1

As Xmas is coming, the lads decided to hold their own Goal of the Month competition......Fantastic attacking performance. One of those rare days where everything you hit goes in. Was funny watching Salah fuming on the bench for the first hour champing at the bit! But when he got his chance he took it.

Although we gave up some chances in the first half, both Matip and Fabinho, assisted by Hendo, were always in the right place to deal with the Zaha/Eze threat. Hendo had an unbelievable game. He seemed to be everywhere and must have completed over 100 passes. His goal topped off a great performance. I would hope that playing like this finally shuts up his 'haterz'....but I doubt it!

Firmino was also excellent, scoring two wonderfully taken goals and assisting a third. He pushed Hendo hard for the MoM honours in my opinion.

So, despite all the injuries, Jose's sniping, bloody VAR etc, we are top of the league again at Xmas. Long may it continue.  ????????????

• Like 2

If reports are to be true and I suspect a few die hards have always had an inkling but Salah may be unhappy and maybe there will be life without Salah in the future?

Not remember the game but the first time I got angry with his attitude was when LFC were seeking a win and he was slightly injured in the last few minutes sitting on pitch and the physio ran onto the pitch and literally dragged him off it so LFC could find a winner which they did.

He has been a wonderful addition but he is by no means untouchable and will be near 29 at end of season so if any wannabes wanna splash 125m on him and we get Haaland for 70m. 

That would be nice.

5 hours ago, Jack Hna said:

If reports are to be true and I suspect a few die hards have always had an inkling but Salah may be unhappy and maybe there will be life without Salah in the future?

Not remember the game but the first time I got angry with his attitude was when LFC were seeking a win and he was slightly injured in the last few minutes sitting on pitch and the physio ran onto the pitch and literally dragged him off it so LFC could find a winner which they did.

He has been a wonderful addition but he is by no means untouchable and will be near 29 at end of season so if any wannabes wanna splash 125m on him and we get Haaland for 70m. 

That would be nice.

He's worth more than 125M, more like 200M....and could pay for Mbappe ????