The Official Liverpool FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

@wilai  you will know it really really pains me to do this....

But I can't help thinking back to a little conversation we had about retaining the title and strengthening the squad significantly. 

So 70 million wasn't strengthening the squad? Suppose we should have bought three top class centre backs as well! on the off chance we would suffer an epidemic of injuries.You're not playing FPL now bud. BTW. How's the gloating going in that?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wilai said:

So 70 million wasn't strengthening the squad? Suppose we should have bought three top class centre backs as well! on the off chance we would suffer an epidemic of injuries.You're not playing FPL now bud. BTW. How's the gloating going in that?

Just one extra CB could have made all the difference. And maybe another striker.

Before our Fulham game on Astro they were showing highlights of Fulham beating us 3-0 with Fletcher and Carrick in defence so I know it does happen (09/10 I think when we lost the league after winning 3 straight) .... But it's not just your defence which is the problem.

PS - I was in a mood for a couple of days after forgetting my team! Had my changes all planned out. It was the extension of the deadline to 90 mins before KO which got me... Serves me right. I've set reminders on my phone for future weeks.

Edited by RickG16

32 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Just one extra CB could have made all the difference. And maybe another striker.

Before our Fulham game on Astro they were showing highlights of Fulham beating us 3-0 with Fletcher and Carrick in defence so I know it does happen (09/10 I think when we lost the league after winning 3 straight) .... But it's not just your defence which is the problem.

PS - I was in a mood for a couple of days after forgetting my team! Had my changes all planned out. It was the extension of the deadline to 90 mins before KO which got me... Serves me right. I've set reminders on my phone for future weeks.

Defence is doing well given the circumstances. An up to speed Thiago and Jota would have given us a lot more up front but unfortunately both got mullered by donkeys. Given that nothing has gone right in terms of injuries, and VAR together with no fans (I said before the season that would affect us more than most given the relationship between the players,JK and fans). I'm almost surprised things went well for so long. 

As for FPL, given that many freehitters used that chip to ensure strong teams for the following double week, I doubt that hittwould have heped you too much unless you planned on making 3/4 transfers. Loads have 100 plus points this week. 

36 minutes ago, wilai said:

Defence is doing well given the circumstances. An up to speed Thiago and Jota would have given us a lot more up front but unfortunately both got mullered by donkeys. Given that nothing has gone right in terms of injuries, and VAR together with no fans (I said before the season that would affect us more than most given the relationship between the players,JK and fans). I'm almost surprised things went well for so long. 

As for FPL, given that many freehitters used that chip to ensure strong teams for the following double week, I doubt that hittwould have heped you too much unless you planned on making 3/4 transfers. Loads have 100 plus points this week. 

Wasn't going to use free hit I was going to use my wildcard. One of my other leagues has a cash prize and I was going well in 2nd. The dream might be over now.

There's not too many things bad I can say about a club that's won the CL and PL in recent years. But we were taking about what can put you a level up and build a dynasty. That front 3 is already looking stale. You might not want to do it, but let's look at the teams who have won consecutive titles in the modern era, what they have in common is very intense competition for places, probably a few multi millionaires left in the cold, but that's what you have to do to keep the likes of Salah on their toes...I've always said a squad player who doesn't get used has done their job if they are getting the starter to up their performances. He might have scored in the CL final but Origi is no Solskjaer.

You seem very content with the league and the CL so that's fine. We were taking about how to reach the next level.

Edited by RickG16

12 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

There's not too many things bad I can say about a club that's won the CL and PL in recent years. But we were taking about what can put you a level up and build a dynasty. That front 3 is already looking stale. You might not want to do it, but let's look at the teams who have won consecutive titles in the modern era, what they have in common is very intense competition for places, probably a few multi millionaires left in the cold, but that's what you have to do to keep the likes of Salah on their toes...I've always said a squad player who doesn't get used has done their job if they are getting the starter to up their performances. He might have scored in the CL final but Origi is no Solskjaer.

Origi is on his way I think. We know his limitations but we did buy Jota as a forward option and he was doing fine until the season's injury jinx struck again.  He should be back in a couple of weeks. We are still PL's top scorers by the way despite the last few games. Oh; and I have the feeling we will be going big next summer!

• Like 1

Souness made a good point actually... Losing 7-1 to Villa was a pretty good sign that it's not going to be your season... Not sure if a team has ever lost a game by that margin and gone on to win the title..... Anyone?

Even so, I actually wouldn't write you off

50 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

It sounded towards the end of the press conference that Klopp was saying you are skint and he's been told you can't afford any players. We will see.

Saving our pennies for a Summer's day perhaps?

• Like 1

This is a special season for every team in the league. We've had more surprising results this season than anytime before.   So who will win the league title ? That's anyone's guess. 

Right now I think City will win it, United 2nd and the rest of us will have to fight for top 4.  

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-man-city-pep-guardiola-19695841

Just takes one or two of the KEY pieces to be missing and the team balance is lost.

The similarities of City last season (Sane out all season so leftside threat lost, Kompany retiring and Laporte injured, Fernandinho plays at the back so midfield disrupted, etc) and Liverpool this season is uncanny.

16 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

It looks like your bench had a severe case of woodworm ????

Ha! Ha!

I'm guessing that Rodon fella could be a decent defender if he just had one more tattoo. Just one more ought to do it.

Hats off to Liverpool for pulling out of their slump just in time to kick Mou's butt.:cowboy:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

What's the feeling at Liverpool: bring in a new CB or persevere with what you've got? What do you reckon?

With first four choices all now injured we have no option to at least try. Getting from abroad could create problems for the squad make up (especially if LFC feel VVD may be back before the end of the season) unless we sell first.....Origi??? So it would be simpler to get an English guy. So not as straight forward as it might seem. I'm sure we are looking but not long left to get one over the line!