The Official Liverpool FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

11 hours ago, champers said:

Controlling the crowds on the streets is not the job of football clubs. Liverpool should not have been fined for the Man City incident and should not be fined for this.

Of course it is the responsibility of the Club. If Liverpool hadn't been playing that night would this have happened? These are Liverpool fans and the club should come down hard on them. Anybody caught bringing the club into disrepute will be banned for xxx years etc. And UEFA should come down harder. It is simply not acceptable to have that kind of behaviour in today's game

• Like 1

12 hours ago, champers said:

Controlling the crowds on the streets is not the job of football clubs. Liverpool should not have been fined for the Man City incident and should not be fined for this.

Why did the RM coach not have unbreakable windows like the City coach did?

Why don't Merseyside Police get taken to task for not doing their job properly? Read the riot act and if the road isn't cleared forcibly clear it.

Seriously?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-56763219

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Of course it is the responsibility of the Club. If Liverpool hadn't been playing that night would this have happened? These are Liverpool fans and the club should come down hard on them. Anybody caught bringing the club into disrepute will be banned for xxx years etc. And UEFA should come down harder. It is simply not acceptable to have that kind of behaviour in today's game

So I take it you agree with the fines UEFA meted out to City because fans sang songs deemed to be disrespectful to them. That was inside the stadium but clubs cannot be expected to take responsibility for every single fan. The guy caught on camera racially abusing a Utd player last season was punished; rightly so. Was the club?

23 minutes ago, champers said:

So I take it you agree with the fines UEFA meted out to City because fans sang songs deemed to be disrespectful to them. That was inside the stadium but clubs cannot be expected to take responsibility for every single fan. The guy caught on camera racially abusing a Utd player last season was punished; rightly so. Was the club?

UEFA seem to be a lot more stricter than the FA on fans and the responsibility of the club. 

a club is held responsible for the conduct of its fans, regardless of whether the club itself is to blame

I don't know of any other way in which you can deter this yobbish behaviour than to hold the clubs to account as well. Every club in England got banned from Europe for the behaviour of fans that were not even from their own clubs. Most clubs require you to be a member to get tickets, therefore you are part of the club and so the club. should be accountable. If a thug isn't yet a member, you blacklist him/her. As for individual cases, that's why you have hearings. If a club seems to have dealt with an issue satisfactorily, maybe for instance involving police and bringing criminal charges then that could be mitigation for the club to not be fined. What you can't do is simply rule that the club should NOT be held accountable for their fans behaviour.

4 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

UEFA seem to be a lot more stricter than the FA on fans and the responsibility of the club. 

I don't know of any other way in which you can deter this yobbish behaviour than to hold the clubs to account as well. Every club in England got banned from Europe for the behaviour of fans that were not even from their own clubs. Most clubs require you to be a member to get tickets, therefore you are part of the club and so the club. should be accountable. If a thug isn't yet a member, you blacklist him/her. As for individual cases, that's why you have hearings. If a club seems to have dealt with an issue satisfactorily, maybe for instance involving police and bringing criminal charges then that could be mitigation for the club to not be fined. What you can't do is simply rule that the club should NOT be held accountable for their fans behaviour.

If Liverpool had gotten through in the tie. I think a good thing would have been to chuck them out and replace them with the losing tie club. It didn't work out that way; fortunately.

I can see a 3 year Europe ban on Liverpool over this.

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

I can see a 3 year Europe ban on Liverpool over this.

I doubt UEFA would do that yet but I certainly think the club should be warned about future conduct of their fans and that kind of punishment is on the table

45 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Outside the ground clubs cannot be held accountable because they are not responsible for crowd control on the streets. Liverpool have condemned this type of behaviour whenever it has happened. It keeps happening because those behaving badly get away with it. The police need to do their job properly.

2 hours ago, champers said:

So I take it you agree with the fines UEFA meted out to City because fans sang songs deemed to be disrespectful to them. That was inside the stadium

So you equate Liverpool's hooligans YET AGAIN attacking the away club's team bus with City fans booing the CL anthem (something Barca fans also do). In-cred-i-ble!!!

To the best of my knowledge NO CLUBS has ever been fined for booing the cheesy CL anthem, however UEFA imposed a "€20000 fine on Liverpool FC after the behaviour of their fans during the Champions League Quarter Final in 2017/18 against Manchester City including the coordinated attack on the Manchester City team bus".

2 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

UEFA fined Liverpool for their fans action OUTSIDE the ground against City.

Yes, I know. That is what I am against, clubs being held accountable for what fans do outside the ground. The police are responsible for keeping order in the streets ... or not keeping order in these instances. Clubs cannot police the streets.

14 minutes ago, champers said:

Yes, I know. That is what I am against, clubs being held accountable for what fans do outside the ground. The police are responsible for keeping order in the streets ... or not keeping order in these instances. Clubs cannot police the streets.

You were arguing that clubs are not responsible for their fans outside the stadium so I'm glad we've sorted that out.

I'm still amazed you are offering any support towards hooligans. Those days have long gone at most clubs/grounds but lingers on with the Liverpool hooligans. Booing vs attacking...come on man.

19 minutes ago, champers said:

If clubs and the local police cannot protect citizens and maintain order then games should not be held at that ground.

21 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

You were arguing that clubs are not responsible for their fans outside the stadium so I'm glad we've sorted that out.

I'm still amazed you are offering any support towards hooligans. Those days have long gone at most clubs/grounds but lingers on with the Liverpool hooligans. Booing vs attacking...come on man.

I am not supporting hooligans; quite the opposite. Clubs have a responsibility inside the stadiums and pay for police and stewards in the ground and deploy CCTV; there is far less trouble inside grounds these days. Outside the ground they are at the mercy of the police force in the area; if that force is falling short the club should not be punished, be it Liverpool or anyone else. 

4 hours ago, champers said:

Outside the ground clubs cannot be held accountable because they are not responsible for crowd control on the streets. Liverpool have condemned this type of behaviour whenever it has happened. It keeps happening because those behaving badly get away with it. The police need to do their job properly.

I am with you 100% that only Police can do the actual crowd control but you can't blame Police for hooligans actions. Before every match both club and Police come together to risk assess what Police support is required, the club pays for the Police as far as I'm aware. The other night should have been a doddle to Police cos no fans are allowed. Every other club behaved (except some Dortmund fans setting off fireworks outside City's hotel in the early hours).

The Club have a huge part to play in deterring their fans from any bad behaviour and they use it by handing out bans. I think Chelsea did it to some on that Train.

I also think the authorities can play a bigger part both (FA and UEFA). They can forewarn that any further behaviour of this kind will result in docked points, banning from a comp or playing behind closed doors etc. That should be enough a deterrent for fans to self control

The only people to blame here are the hooligans but it's more than just the police to sort it out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

I am with you 100% that only Police can do the actual crowd control but you can't blame Police for hooligans actions. Before every match both club and Police come together to risk assess what Police support is required, the club pays for the Police as far as I'm aware. The other night should have been a doddle to Police cos no fans are allowed. Every other club behaved (except some Dortmund fans setting off fireworks outside City's hotel in the early hours).

The Club have a huge part to play in deterring their fans from any bad behaviour and they use it by handing out bans. I think Chelsea did it to some on that Train.

I also think the authorities can play a bigger part both (FA and UEFA). They can forewarn that any further behaviour of this kind will result in docked points, banning from a comp or playing behind closed doors etc. That should be enough a deterrent for fans to self control

The only people to blame here are the hooligans but it's more than just the police to sort it out

To hand out bans they need the police to catch the perpetrators. I don't recall any arrests and subsequent bans resulting from the attack on City's team bus. 

45 minutes ago, champers said:

To hand out bans they need the police to catch the perpetrators. I don't recall any arrests and subsequent bans resulting from the attack on City's team bus. 

The Merseyside Police failed to find the hooligans who attacked City's bus as they'll fail to find those who attacked Madrid's bus.

Do you actually think they want to find them? Get real.

I have no doubt the local plod are very happy with the attempts to rattle Liverpool's opponents as it's good for 'local morale' if the local team wins.

1 hour ago, champers said:

For a criminal case to be brought, yes, the police need to catch and process them. For Liverpool to ban them they simply need pictures of faces. They don't need to prove guilt.

The point I am attempting to make is that a deterrent is the best way to stop them rather than trying to catch them after. It's also a complete waste of Police time if it can be avoided in the first place.

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

The Merseyside Police failed to find the hooligans who attacked City's bus as they'll fail to find those who attacked Madrid's bus.

I have no doubt the local plod are very happy with the attempts to rattle Liverpool's opponents as it's good for 'local morale' if the local team wins.

That might be the case or maybe some forces are just better than others.

^Don't know who's team coach that was, but those fans need catching/banning / prosecuting. As did the idiot throwing coins at ManU players a few seasons back. Am I embarrassed by those one or two idiots, of course I blady am.

There's no place in football for neanderthals, football has moved on, it's almost middle class in the Premier, targetting players with coins, throwing beer at coaches, whatever, by ANY club's fans is not on any more. All clubs should be doing their upmost to stamp it out.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

They needed to arrest the whole of the Kop. 

This gives a truer picture of the scale of the problem. Hundreds involved. Very scary for those in the coach.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jellydog said:

All these club statements are garbage glossing over the fact that they knew exactly what they were doing and who it would hurt. This isn’t a “we learned” type of situation. It’s a “we’ll get you next time.”

So Maxi Rodriguez the ex Liverpool player is now a content strategist living in LA ????

And if it isn't him, why should we give a <deleted> ????

Even if it is him, why should we give a <deleted> ????

It's been a very confusing few days and now this. It's almost too much to cope with. 

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Coincidence or something sinister. Both Rick and Wilai come out of month's of hiding on the Liverpool thread on the same day. Is it one person with a Jekyll and Hyde personality?

Welcome back boys.????

Nah. Rick has had the parental controls turned off again. 

• Sad 1

Just in case you guys missed this, Im posting because the replies are superb

Translation: We seriously underestimated the power of the fans and the footballing community and we're sorry we got caught wanting to fill our own pockets by sacrificing the rest of the footballing pyramid.

20 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Just in case you guys missed this, Im posting because the replies are superb

Translation: We seriously underestimated the power of the fans and the footballing community and we're sorry we got caught wanting to fill our own pockets by sacrificing the rest of the footballing pyramid.

Dana Carvey's looking old these days isn't he. Can't see him making Wayne's World 3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey@LFC - Ferran Soriano says in order to minimise travel, could you bring the Premier League Trophy with you to Manchester on Thursday please. We'll arrange to collect it. You probably won't need the ribbons again for quite a while but keep them anyway. Make sure you polish it. Ta.

(Prestwich Blue - Twitter)