The Official Liverpool FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

19 hours ago, Kadilo said:

He’s never really took off with you has he really. He showed glimpses in the Euros of what he can do but he lacks consistency and I guess that comes with regular games which he has, not surprisingly, never had. 

He looks a luxury type of player these days and not sure his fitness is at the level for a top top side. 

When we bought him I think it was always going to be the fringe for him.

Aside the memories mentioned by Willers there, I'd like to add the equaliser assist for the third goal (Gini 2nd) against Barcelona at Anfield. Always will have fond memories of the lad and wish him all the best. Lazio looks the best bet, a chance to redeem himself in Italia. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Saul Niguez, heating up on Twatter....legs?

Nothing from sources I trust other than he does apparently fancy Premier League.  As you said, #twatter rumours are spreading that we want to pay around 41m. Man U and apparently Chelsea also interested in him.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Read somewhere that you will have to offload a non homegrown player before you can register another. You already have 17 which is the max

Yep....see my earlier post. I reckon it will be Shaq. He joined the squad today so hopefully his future will be sorted soon.

• Like 1

Norwich have had to cancel tonight's friendly due to covid cases. Hopefully it doesn't spread through their camp and put our game against them in doubt.????

Saturday's game v Sheff Utd also now postponed.  1st XI players amongst those affected

Edited by wilai
update

4 hours ago, wilai said:

Nothing from sources I trust other than he does apparently fancy Premier League.  As you said, #twatter rumours are spreading that we want to pay around 41m. Man U and apparently Chelsea also interested in him.

I hope we are interested in a defensive mid, because I heard today we might not even go for Trippier unless we can offload Pogba or Lingard.

Hopefully VVD will get some minutes tonight against Hertha Berlin. Should be a decent test as HB are a little ahead in their preparations having played 5 pre-season games already.

VVD and Gomez got 20 mins in a 4-3 defeat to Hertha. Mane, Minamino and AOC with our goals. Match will be shown on Astro SS1 at 12:30 (Thai) today.

Edited by wilai
update
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 10:11 PM, mrbojangles said:

Read somewhere that you will have to offload a non homegrown player before you can register another. You already have 17 which is the max

It's more about paying for them A-GAIN. Sell to buy, sell to buy. We will be foooked when Klopp leaves. 

On 7/30/2021 at 10:02 AM, wilai said:

Bologna fixtures now confirmed in Evian on 5th August. 2 x 60min matches at 21:00 and 23:00 Thai time respectively.

Games advertised on Astro SS1.  First game is 21:00 but 2nd is 01:00 for some reason. Could be an error in the schedule so worth checking the channel at 23:00 just in case.

I used to comment to this forum quite a lot about 10 and/or more years ago, when we were still trying to win the league and hoping Luis Suarez would lead us to it!  StevieH still around? hmmm????

When I left it was about 2 Liverpool fans and 10 Spurs fans commenting all the time.  How's that trophy cabinet, Tottenham?

Anyway, thoughts about Harvey Eilliott.  Will he stay this year and became a first-team regular?  Seems like he has amazing potential and can actually show it at first-team level.  Time will tell but I hope he stays this season and adds needed depth on that forward line, particularly if Shaq and Origi move on, which they probably should if they want to play regularly.  However, it seems like Klopp may want to play him more in the midfield 3 and move Ox to a backup forward.  In any case, he seems the rare young talent that actually might make it in the first-team at LFC instead of going on loan every single year and then being sold at 23 years old.

Still think we need to add a midfielder and possibly a backup striker.  I do rate Mane to come on strong and return to form, though Firmino seems he's getting more inconsistent and possibly past his prime, already.  He'll be 30 in October and I don't even know if they'll offer him a new contract when he's about to turn 32, when his contract expires in two years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimjim said:

I used to comment to this forum quite a lot about 10 and/or more years ago, when we were still trying to win the league and hoping Luis Suarez would lead us to it!  StevieH still around? hmmm????

When I left it was about 2 Liverpool fans and 10 Spurs fans commenting all the time.  How's that trophy cabinet, Tottenham?

Anyway, thoughts about Harvey Eilliott.  Will he stay this year and became a first-team regular?  Seems like he has amazing potential and can actually show it at first-team level.  Time will tell but I hope he stays this season and adds needed depth on that forward line, particularly if Shaq and Origi move on, which they probably should if they want to play regularly.  However, it seems like Klopp may want to play him more in the midfield 3 and move Ox to a backup forward.  In any case, he seems the rare young talent that actually might make it in the first-team at LFC instead of going on loan every single year and then being sold at 23 years old.

Still think we need to add a midfielder and possibly a backup striker.  I do rate Mane to come on strong and return to form, though Firmino seems he's getting more inconsistent and possibly past his prime, already.  He'll be 30 in October and I don't even know if they'll offer him a new contract when he's about to turn 32, when his contract expires in two years.

Welcome back mate. Still only a couple of us posting regularly but most of the Spurs lads have gone for varying reasons! 

I'm sure Elliott will be staying this season and will get a decent amount of minutes. Doesn't have the out and out pace/finishing instinct of Salah but I can certainly see him playing attacking midfield. He can see a pass and has great control. Possibly a quicker version of Coutinho if things go to plan.

We do need more striking back up, especially with AfCoN rearing it's head in Jan/Feb. We have some decent kids in Gordon, Musialowski and a couple more but they are a little bit too young for this season. If Keita and Thiago can stay fit, we do have options in attacking midfield with Elliott and Jones in the mix.

Hendo and Milner are getting on a bit so an up and coming allrounder would be an asset in the mid. We need to lose a couple though before we buy owing to the 'non home grown' quota being full at the moment. Shaq (Lazio), Origi and Karius can go. Possibly Minamino as well although the coaches are apparently very pleased with his pre-season.

Despite being linked with every player under the sun, I've yet to be convinced any bids have actually been made. Hopefully things will move forward once we have finished tying up contracts with existing players

Anyway, another 4 games to go before the season starts and everyone bar Hendo will be back in the training squad by tomorrow. Let's hope we can have more injury luck this year and give the big spenders a run for their millions!????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wilai said:

Welcome back mate. Still only a couple of us posting regularly but most of the Spurs lads have gone for varying reasons! 

I'm sure Elliott will be staying this season and will get a decent amount of minutes. Doesn't have the out and out pace/finishing instinct of Salah but I can certainly see him playing attacking midfield. He can see a pass and has great control. Possibly a quicker version of Coutinho if things go to plan.

We do need more striking back up, especially with AfCoN rearing it's head in Jan/Feb. We have some decent kids in Gordon, Musialowski and a couple more but they are a little bit too young for this season. If Keita and Thiago can stay fit, we do have options in attacking midfield with Elliott and Jones in the mix.

Hendo and Milner are getting on a bit so an up and coming allrounder would be an asset in the mid. We need to lose a couple though before we buy owing to the 'non home grown' quota being full at the moment. Shaq (Lazio), Origi and Karius can go. Possibly Minamino as well although the coaches are apparently very pleased with his pre-season.

Despite being linked with every player under the sun, I've yet to be convinced any bids have actually been made. Hopefully things will move forward once we have finished tying up contracts with existing players

Anyway, another 4 games to go before the season starts and everyone bar Hendo will be back in the training squad by tomorrow. Let's hope we can have more injury luck this year and give the big spenders a run for their millions!????

I reckon Elliot might get a good run at it, joy to watch, looks the business, lacking a bit of pace but strong and sharp. ready. 

Tsimikas should see more game time too, and he looks a proper player. 

I'm not overly phased if we don't to see some movement in this squad, but feels like it might be a gamble again if we don't. 

A proper preseason with a fit and all but fit squad is big for Klopp. 

I'm not sure I like this idea of AOC as a false 9, injury prone and out of position

Naby Keita is again on fire, but another one who cannot stay fit. 

And throw in as you've mentioned Hendo and Milner, we need an attacker and midfield.

Orgi, Shaq, Minamino can all go for me. 

Whatever happens I'll be stoked to see fans in the ground and sharing that experience, was shiiete last season without them.

I also hope that VAR pulls it's pants up. 

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 1:05 PM, BangrakBob said:

I reckon Elliot might get a good run at it, joy to watch, looks the business, lacking a bit of pace but strong and sharp. ready. 

Tsimikas should see more game time too, and he looks a proper player. 

I'm not overly phased if we don't to see some movement in this squad, but feels like it might be a gamble again if we don't. 

A proper preseason with a fit and all but fit squad is big for Klopp. 

I'm not sure I like this idea of AOC as a false 9, injury prone and out of position

Naby Keita is again on fire, but another one who cannot stay fit. 

And throw in as you've mentioned Hendo and Milner, we need an attacker and midfield.

Orgi, Shaq, Minamino can all go for me. 

Whatever happens I'll be stoked to see fans in the ground and sharing that experience, was shiiete last season without them.

I also hope that VAR pulls it's pants up. 

To be honest I don't know how you can be written off as 4th favourites with pretty much the same team that won the CL and PL. I make you about even with us and Chelsea. Winaldjum could be a big loss though.

18 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

To be honest I don't know how you can be written off as 4th favourites with pretty much the same team that won the CL and PL. I make you about even with us and Chelsea. Winaldjum could be a big loss though.

Who said we were written off as 4th? You're the first to mention it on here. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, wilai said:

Who said we were written off as 4th? You're the first to mention it on here. 

Don't the bookies have you as 4th favourite? Most people I know are saying 4th or even Leicester ahead of you.

Anyway, I was giving you some backing! 

22 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Gini will be missed, we have to see what happens there because he played a lot of minutes and was a lot more involved than most realise. 

I think we will be challenging for sure though, we are in a much better situation at the start of this season than the last 2 or 3. Our end of season form was strong. Full pre-season with a good chunk of the senior team. Players healthy and fit, VvD and Gomez not far off. Konate looks a man mountain. We'll be up for it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Don't the bookies have you as 4th favourite? Most people I know are saying 4th or even Leicester ahead of you.

We'll finish in front of you 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Wasn't having a go....anyway, the people you know must be related to Chippy's ITK. See 'Oddschecker below.????

4/6

8/13

4/6

4/6

4/6

4/6

8/11

7/10

5/8

4/6

13/17

4/6

4/6

8/13

4/5

4/6

4/6

4/6

8/13

4/7

4/6

8/11

Bet

11/2

9/2

29/5

29/5

9/2

9/2

11/2

11/2

9/2

29/5

29/5

17/2

17/2

13/2

44/5

6 minutes ago, wilai said:

Wasn't having a go....anyway, the people you know must be related to Chippy's ITK. See 'Oddschecker below.????

4/6

8/13

4/6

4/6

4/6

4/6

8/11

7/10

5/8

4/6

13/17

4/6

4/6

8/13

4/5

4/6

4/6

4/6

8/13

4/7

4/6

8/11

Bet

11/2

9/2

29/5

29/5

9/2

9/2

11/2

11/2

9/2

29/5

29/5

17/2

17/2

13/2

44/5

Looks like there isn't much between us, Chelsea and scousers which is exactly what I was saying.... Glad that

the experts agree!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Not sure about that, but there's a chance you may, sure.

Norwich first game I believe. Nice easy one for you!

Not too sure how much of a chance we have of reigning City in. Especially if they pay 250M for Kane and Grealish, those lads are top of the fouls received charts, they know their craft well. 

1 minute ago, BangrakBob said:

Not too sure how much of a chance we have of reigning City in. Especially if they pay 250M for Kane and Grealish, those lads are top of the fouls received charts, they know their craft well. 

Normally I wouldn't worry as they're <deleted> at pens.....but Kane will take them if he joins!????

• Haha 1