The Official Liverpool FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

On 8/1/2021 at 3:48 PM, wilai said:

We do need more striking back up, especially with AfCoN rearing it's head in Jan/Feb. We have some decent kids in Gordon, Musialowski and a couple more but they are a little bit too young for this season. If Keita and Thiago can stay fit, we do have options in attacking midfield with Elliott and Jones in the mix.

Hendo and Milner are getting on a bit so an up and coming allrounder would be an asset in the mid. We need to lose a couple though before we buy owing to the 'non home grown' quota being full at the moment. Shaq (Lazio), Origi and Karius can go. Possibly Minamino as well although the coaches are apparently very pleased with his pre-season.

Despite being linked with every player under the sun, I've yet to be convinced any bids have actually been made. Hopefully things will move forward once we have finished tying up contracts with existing players

Anyway, another 4 games to go before the season starts and everyone bar Hendo will be back in the training squad by tomorrow. Let's hope we can have more injury luck this year and give the big spenders a run for their millions!????

Aside the outs, it looks like Liverpool are getting all these important renewals sorted, Trent, and Fab now sorted. Once Salah, Allison and VvD get sorted and I think we might see a little transfer action

If Keita could just stay healthy he'd be a fantastic player, I think.  But you have to play regular games at mostly full health in order to get form, which we all know.  But if his body ever let him hit top form he'd be scary to play against.  Time will tell but it just always feels like a false dawn with him.

I did see someone supposedly in the know that we definitely did bid for Chiesa.   I'd rather the rumors for Barella are real.   That guys a beast and will only get better.  I don't follow Italian football as much as I used to so I hope I got those names right.

With our defense back and healthy (stay that way please) and Konate we will be solid and hard to play against again.  I expect to challenge for the league again but City and their endless supply of cash are trying to make themselves unbeatable again.  Still can't believe they escaped any serious punishment for obvious fraud and refusing to turn over evidence in their sponsorship deals but there you have it.  Premier League is still investigating but I doubt anything will ever happen.  Well that's maybe discussion for another thread.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 8:54 AM, BangrakBob said:

Once Salah, Allison and VvD get sorted

Alisson signed until 2027.

47 minutes ago, Jimjim said:

I did see someone supposedly in the know that we definitely did bid for Chiesa.

I dunno if a bid went in but if so we were given very short shrift. A pity as he is a cracking player and was brilliant in the Euros. If he does move, I reckon it would be 100m plus.

• Like 1

About the only journo I trust on transfers is an Italian and I've seen nothing from him regarding bids for Chiesa, Barella (or anyone else for that matter),

We do seem very good at keeping cards close to our chest (Fabinho, Jota and Thiago signings are examples) so I haven't given up hope yet.  We aren't in the same financial ball park as City, Chelsea and even ManU for splashing the cash so we just have to be a bit smarter than the rest when it comes to purchases. Last season's injury debacle aside (still made 3rd in the end!), we ain't done too badly over the last few years????

1 hour ago, Jimjim said:

If Keita could just stay healthy he'd be a fantastic player, I think.  But you have to play regular games at mostly full health in order to get form, which we all know.  But if his body ever let him hit top form he'd be scary to play against.  Time will tell but it just always feels like a false dawn with him.

I did see someone supposedly in the know that we definitely did bid for Chiesa.   I'd rather the rumors for Barella are real.   That guys a beast and will only get better.  I don't follow Italian football as much as I used to so I hope I got those names right.

With our defense back and healthy (stay that way please) and Konate we will be solid and hard to play against again.  I expect to challenge for the league again but City and their endless supply of cash are trying to make themselves unbeatable again.  Still can't believe they escaped any serious punishment for obvious fraud and refusing to turn over evidence in their sponsorship deals but there you have it.  Premier League is still investigating but I doubt anything will ever happen.  Well that's maybe discussion for another thread.

Aquilani and Balotelli have made me not too concerned about missing out on Italian players  ????

40 minutes ago, wilai said:

About the only journo I trust on transfers is an Italian and I've seen nothing from him regarding bids for Chiesa, Barella (or anyone else for that matter),

We do seem very good at keeping cards close to our chest (Fabinho, Jota and Thiago signings are examples) so I haven't given up hope yet.  We aren't in the same financial ball park as City, Chelsea and even ManU for splashing the cash so we just have to be a bit smarter than the rest when it comes to purchases. Last season's injury debacle aside (still made 3rd in the end!), we ain't done too badly over the last few years????

That Griz Khan lad reckoned we did bid. 

Agreed, no need to panic if everyone is fit and now enjoy the fact we always seem to find gems that are not quite there yet and they blossom under Klopp. Konate and VvD will be incredible soon enough. 

Just now, BangrakBob said:

I always wait for Paul Joyce ????

He's better.???? Good for confirming stuff as he's not one for making things up. Fabrizio Romano is the guy I rely on. For some reason, this summer he has grown massively in popularity.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 2:54 PM, wilai said:

Games advertised on Astro SS1.  First game is 21:00 but 2nd is 01:00 for some reason. Could be an error in the schedule so worth checking the channel at 23:00 just in case.

Today's Astro SS1 schedule now has a re-run of Argentina v Brazil at 21:00 tonight. Buggers! Our games v Bologna now being shown as delayed. Now tomorrow at 20;00 and 21:15 respectively.

In slightly better news, we've picked up another couple of million following Danny Ings' transfer to Villa.

Couple of facile wins by the sound of it. 2-0 and 1-0 in the 2 hour long games. Decent minutes for VVD and Gomez. The greek lad showed well in the 2nd game so looks decent cover for Robbo. Jota Mane and Minamino with the goals against not particularly good Bologna sides. Origi missed a pen and there were a number of near misses/woodwork etc so both scores should have been more emphatic.

Worst part was the miss match kit which looked a bit like Man U. The officials ruling our 'Stone; coloured away shirt was too similar to Bologna's necessitating a shirt change before K/O. Red, Black and white not  a good look for us!????

20 hours ago, wilai said:

He's better.???? Good for confirming stuff as he's not one for making things up. Fabrizio Romano is the guy I rely on. For some reason, this summer he has grown massively in popularity.

I've noticed his popularity this summer as well.  No idea why trust and interest in his reports spiked, but he seems to get it right a lot of the time, from what I've followed of him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimjim said:

I've noticed his popularity this summer as well.  No idea why trust and interest in his reports spiked, but he seems to get it right a lot of the time, from what I've followed of him.

He rarely gets transfers wrong. I've followed him a couple of years. Think his 'day job' is with Sky Italy but this summer he has almost become a 'cult' on #twatter!

• Like 1

Tonight's team v Athletic Bilbao: Blustery day but dry at the moment. K/O delay due to new wireless ticketing protocol. In my day it was always due to squeezing in a last minute pint!

B-kAqeEJ?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by wilai
update

Decent attacking performance against a good side. Some lovely combinations from the front three and should have scored more but Bilbao always looked dangerous on the break. Inaki Williams (who we were interested in a couple of years back) is still a tricky, dangerous winger.

Stand out was Elliott who may well have cemented a starting spot already. Alisson when needed and Jota were also sharp. Good to see VVD get more minutes although he's not at 100% just yet. Downside was an ankle injury for Robbo who will need scans to ascertain how serious it is.

My only grouse is that too many players seem to try worldie curlers into the top corner all the time. Wish they would just hit a few hard and low for a change instead of giving the keepers a chance to make TV saves.

Next game is Osasuna at silly o'clock tonight.

9 hours ago, wilai said:

Decent attacking performance against a good side. Some lovely combinations from the front three and should have scored more but Bilbao always looked dangerous on the break. Inaki Williams (who we were interested in a couple of years back) is still a tricky, dangerous winger.

Stand out was Elliott who may well have cemented a starting spot already. Alisson when needed and Jota were also sharp. Good to see VVD get more minutes although he's not at 100% just yet. Downside was an ankle injury for Robbo who will need scans to ascertain how serious it is.

My only grouse is that too many players seem to try worldie curlers into the top corner all the time. Wish they would just hit a few hard and low for a change instead of giving the keepers a chance to make TV saves.

Next game is Osasuna at silly o'clock tonight.

Really enjoyed many aspects of that match, lively, sharp looking team. Mane's energy was back to a couple of seasons back. Naby Keita like we've not witnessed and Harvey Elliot, wow that lad is going to set it on fire. 

• Like 1

LFC 3-1 Osasuna.....Decent (especially first half) display from a largely 2nd string team. All round pressing and intensity was very good with AOC doing more than his share.  Minamino's 1st touches were excellent and he looks a lot stronger as well compared to last year. Worked very well with Tsimikas down the left. If he can link this well with Sadio, we may not miss Robbo too much. The guy has excellent delivery as well.

Bobby F took his goals well especially his second. Interesting that 16 year old Kaide Gordon was preferred to Origi in the starting XI whose days at Anfield must surely be coming to an end.  Curtis Jones was subbed after 30 mins after getting clattered in the ribs and nose. Must have thought he was practicing Muay Thai not football!

All in all a good performance with a fair few giving JK a few decisions to make for the Norwich game.

6 hours ago, wilai said:

LFC 3-1 Osasuna.....Decent (especially first half) display from a largely 2nd string team. All round pressing and intensity was very good with AOC doing more than his share.  Minamino's 1st touches were excellent and he looks a lot stronger as well compared to last year. Worked very well with Tsimikas down the left. If he can link this well with Sadio, we may not miss Robbo too much. The guy has excellent delivery as well.

Bobby F took his goals well especially his second. Interesting that 16 year old Kaide Gordon was preferred to Origi in the starting XI whose days at Anfield must surely be coming to an end.  Curtis Jones was subbed after 30 mins after getting clattered in the ribs and nose. Must have thought he was practicing Muay Thai not football!

All in all a good performance with a fair few giving JK a few decisions to make for the Norwich game.

Cannot complain about going in to this season with those boys, they are ready, really ready. 

Watching Konate & Gomez, they are the future at the back and they look like a proper pair there. Pace, so much pace, passing, defending with ease. 

Even Ben Woodburn looked up for it today. Gordon, just 16 and he looks like he is one that could be a proper player. AOC driving and shooting like it was City 2018. Minimino like he was playing for Salzburg, And Firmino winning the ball back deep, not seen that since we won the title. 

To think we've signed only a CB and let one of the best midfielders in Europe go, I couldn't be feeling more confident. 

Edited by BangrakBob
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 12:32 PM, wilai said:

Alisson signed until 2027.

I dunno if a bid went in but if so we were given very short shrift. A pity as he is a cracking player and was brilliant in the Euros. If he does move, I reckon it would be 100m plus.

Amazing player. If I was him I'd stay and learn from Ronaldo while he can. It's obviously done him good.

Still not much happening although Shaq has apparently agreed terms with Lyon....but their offer is well short of what we want at the moment.

A supposedly reliable Belgian journo has said we are looking at Doku from Rennes. Lots of pace and power and looked useful when he appeared at the Euros but I'm a bit concerned about his lack of a ruthless finish. As he is only 19 so I'm sure that will improve. Reminds me of a younger version of Traore. His age also means we don't HAVE to sell before we buy so the story may have legs.

1 hour ago, wilai said:

Still not much happening although Shaq has apparently agreed terms with Lyon....but their offer is well short of what we want at the moment.

A supposedly reliable Belgian journo has said we are looking at Doku from Rennes. Lots of pace and power and looked useful when he appeared at the Euros but I'm a bit concerned about his lack of a ruthless finish but is only 19 so I'm sure that will improve. Reminds me of a younger version of Traore. His age also means we don't HAVE to sell before we buy so the story may have legs.

Mate if any more players do come in I think they will be potential, future first team players, he fits the bill. Players to bed in and hopefully shine in next couple of seasons. That squad as it is, fit and ready looks strong to me, until  AOC, Keita, or Matip tear a fingernail or earlobe warming up. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Mate if any more players do come in I think they will be potential, future first team players, he fits the bill. Players to bed in and hopefully shine in next couple of seasons. That squad as it is, fit and ready looks strong to me, until  AOC, Keita, or Matip tear a fingernail or earlobe warming up. 

I shouldn't laugh as it is more than likely to happen!

• Haha 1