The Official Liverpool FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Playing first game of the season against a newly promoted team at their place in front of a footy starved capacity crowd will always be tough (as <deleted> and Villa already found out) but we dealt with the canaries with a minimum of fuss.

Salah was excellent and most of the other lads were not far behind. Three well worked/taken goals and a clean sheet. Couldn't have asked for much more. Zorba had an impressive debut especially when he got forward and he delivered some delicious crosses. A couple of concentration lapses aside, he looks decent cover for Robbo.

Great to see VVD and Matip as imperious as ever and TAA showed why he leaves other rightbacks for dead when it comes to creativity. With v little to do Alisson still showed his quality on the couple of occasions he was needed.  Early days obviously but we look capable of duking things out with the big spenders this season whether or not we join them in the sweet shop!????

On 8/15/2021 at 2:15 PM, wilai said:

Playing first game of the season against a newly promoted team at their place in front of a footy starved capacity crowd will always be tough (as <deleted> and Villa already found out) but we dealt with the canaries with a minimum of fuss.

Salah was excellent and most of the other lads were not far behind. Three well worked/taken goals and a clean sheet. Couldn't have asked for much more. Zorba had an impressive debut especially when he got forward and he delivered some delicious crosses. A couple of concentration lapses aside, he looks decent cover for Robbo.

Great to see VVD and Matip as imperious as ever and TAA showed why he leaves other rightbacks for dead when it comes to creativity. With v little to do Alisson still showed his quality on the couple of occasions he was needed.  Early days obviously but we look capable of duking things out with the big spenders this season whether or not we join them in the sweet shop!????

We did well with that starting midfield set-up, I understand that midfield was based on fitness and again, maybe harsh on AOC considering that, but I thought he was poor. Also reflected in the fact Milner was moved forward when Fabinho came on and AOC went off. And to be honest it's exactly what you would expect from him, he has to take his opportunity, the curtain is ready to fall. 

I really enjoyed the directive to referees regarding VAR and contact in the game. Watched a few matches on the weekend and the not giving fouls every time a player goes down or is touched really helped the games flow. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:
On 8/15/2021 at 11:15 AM, wilai said:

Expand  

We did well with that starting midfield set-up, I understand that midfield was based on fitness and again, maybe harsh on AOC considering that, but I thought he was poor. Also reflected in the fact Milner was moved forward when Fabinho came on and AOC went off. And to be honest it's exactly what you would expect from him, he has to take his opportunity, the curtain is ready to fall. 

Thiago, Hendo and Jones got a run out behind closed doors against Villa at the weekend so should be up to speed by next week. We won 4-1 with Origi, Neco Williams, Jones and young Gordon scoring.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

How about that lad Elliot, wow just wow. Super excited to see him start yesterday and he took his chance by the balls. Burnley kicked the <deleted> out of him, but he kept getting up wanting the ball.

So many great little stories in the match. Tsimikas, the Greek Scouser was sensational, super assist for Diogo's goal, Virg spraying 60 yard passes on a penny. Trent's chip for Mane's volley. Joel Matip is the second best free transfer in history. 

And again for me Naby was incredible everywhere on the park.

Seeing Thiago, Firmino and Gomez come off the bench was the cherry. 

A great performance again, and without Fabinho.

Agreed mate. Elliott's spell with Blackburn meant he was more than able to deal with the kicking he was getting. If Eddie Jones ever gives up the England RU job, Dyche must have a great chance of replacing him. 'Garryowens' over the top all day,  and a pair of ('dirty flankers') up front to fight for them.

We seem to have come away relatively unscathed (hopefully TAA will be ok as he got a knock at the end) 

• Like 1

Shaq has gone to Olympique Lyonnais for 12m euros. Not quite as much as we wanted but a lot more than the 4/5 they wanted to pay. Good luck to him. Never got the chance for a consistent run but leaves with some good memories.????

• Like 2

16 year old Kaide Gordon impressed as we won the mini-derby (<23) 3-1 at their place. Scored one and apparently ran the trickies ragged. Woltman and Ojo scored the other two. Hopefully the youngster will get minutes in the League Cup before too long.

2 hours ago, wilai said:

Nah mate' He'll be RM bound...if not this year then next year on a free.

Yes, I was grasping at us signing him up this year for next year, he'd fit perfectly across the front. How anyone except the team PSG won't sell him too can afford him is beyond me. 

I'm convinced 99% of any rumours about a player is just agents trying to get some commissions by ginning up interest in their guy to move clubs.  And/Or, trying to get a higher commission by telling the club that wants to by them, "But look, Liverpool wants them, it's in the news today!"

That, or press just making up rumours to get clicks and newspaper sales.  I actually got tired of silly season and don't pay attention to it anymore, ha ha, whereas I used to look at it for hours a day during this time of year, and coming to this forum to see if anybody else had some rumours, ha ha.

I guess LFC will probably be pretty quiet in the transfer market until January or next summer, at least.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2021 at 2:48 PM, wilai said:

????????????

Whilst I agree with this I think you suffered last season defensively as a result and lucky to get CL...lucky in the sense a number of other clubs just fell apart.

You have to be able to move quickly and respond to injuries too imho.

8 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Was that a red card?

Very harsh. I also couldn't believe that he made his decision off one freeze frame of the incident. How can he tell off one frozen picture if it was intentional? He could have at least ran it back a few seconds

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Very harsh. I also couldn't believe that he made his decision off one freeze frame of the incident. How can he tell off one frozen picture if it was intentional? He could have at least ran it back a few seconds

Just goes to show that checking the monitor is for show only. VAR had already told him a red card was due hence the cursory look. Personally wish it had stayed XI v XI but unfortunately the rule is clear if deliberate handball stops a goal. He (perhaps instinctively) attempted to scoop the ball away with his arm so the correct decision was reached.

Fair play to Tuchel...he knows how to drill a defence although I wasn't particularly impressed with 'Dave's histrionics at times!  As for the VVD v Lukaku hype......only one winner there????

• Like 1