BANGKOK 24 May 2019 19:50
Jonathan Fairfield

The official Arsenal thread 2019

I guess it should therefore be an Arsenal fan who opens the second round discourse!

I'll first doff my cap to Miggsy who started the thread rolling some moons ago. Dunno whether she is still linked to Thailand at all or whether she still actively supports the Gunners.

Tonight - another humdinger. Away to Manchester United. Given our scoring rate of late I wonder if Mo will park the bus! Hoping for a win but, as always, a defence that can give away two goals in a matter of minutes makes this fan loathe to stick his neck out too far. 

Edited by SantiSuk

28 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

I guess it should therefore be an Arsenal fan who opens the second round discourse!

I'll first doff my cap to Miggsy who started the thread rolling some moons ago. Dunno whether she is still linked to Thailand at all or whether she still actively supports the Gunners.

Tonight - another humdinger. Away to Manchester United. Given our scoring rate of late I wonder if Mo will park the bus! Hoping for a win but, as always, a defence that can give away two goals in a matter of minutes makes this fan loathe to stick his neck out too far. 

Might be asking too much for Arsenal to come out tonight with the same intensity as a few days ago. Fingers crossed !

Yes it will be an interesting game to watch. The way Arsenal beat us this weekend was impressive, can they keep it up away from home?

You got yer wish Ronnie. On reflection we did OK given the tiredness factor with only 3 days since our last battle. Nonetheless, so annoying that our defence gives away so easily, shortly after taking a lead.

Hope that Ramsey's knock is not too serious.

Arsenal have basically gone a quarter of the season unbeaten but are still only in 5th position in the league.

Has to be one of the weirdest stats for a long time!!

Had a strange feeling all week that Arsenal's long unbeaten run would fall to some unexpected team like Southampton - seems to be the Arsenal way.

We have been unconvincing in the first half to so many teams in the last couple of months that the comeback kings have got to fall sometime soon. The reorganised defence is looking frail and the normally composed midfield are being effectively closed out by Soton.

Both Southampton's goals have been worthily scored rather than terrible defensive errors but we are giving their wing play far too much room to get their excellent crosses in.

I guess we at least keep the crown of playing the most interesting matches for the neutral to watch 😒

10 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

I guess we at least keep the crown of playing the most interesting matches for the neutral to watch 😒

It was good to watch.  What i would suggest is that Arsenal look very slick in attack but the defensive frailties are still very much there.  If Emery has real aspirations of taking a top four place then the defense needs tightening up.  I also don't see Mezut Ozil in his long term plans.

Yet more evidence that although there is improvement under Emery the defensive frailties remain.

The 22 game unbeaten run along with the "Arsenal are back and going to challenge for the title" rubbish was way off mark.  Right choice of manager, good signings made but there are still cracks that were papered over.

Anyway, i'll leave the rest to the clowns on Arsenal fan tv.

Banega on the way to replace Xhaka ? Smart move if Emery can pull it off.

20 hours ago, jellydog said:

Banega on the way to replace Xhaka ? Smart move if Emery can pull it off.

The Arsenal backline is absolutely awful.  Its going to take more than one signing to sort out that train wreck of a defense.

And there was people suggesting that this lot could win the league a few weeks ago based on a winning run of 20 odd games beating teams no one had heard of.

Last night was yet another reality check, and the scoreline could have been worse.

31 minutes ago, carmine said:

The Arsenal backline is absolutely awful.  Its going to take more than one signing to sort out that train wreck of a defense.

And there was people suggesting that this lot could win the league a few weeks ago based on a winning run of 20 odd games beating teams no one had heard of.

Last night was yet another reality check, and the scoreline could have been worse.

Yeah, they need lots of help in the back. Getting rid of Xhaka would help but the centre-back situation is pretty dire. Given their injuries to boot, I still think Emery has done a bang up job with that squad. It'll be interesting to see what they can pull off this transfer window.

I remember an Argentine friend years ago remarking what a shit Lichtsteiner was before I knew of the player. Boy, did he nail that.