The Official Glasgow Celtic Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

As I suspected another abject display by Celtic today. An easy win for The Rangers in the Glasgow derby. They were much more inventive from midfield up and solid in defence. Celtic as in the past few weeks were totally without imagination and seemed determined to be as boring as possible. It was awful to watch yet again. 

From a soft free kick Goldson availed of a ball watching Celtic to head into the corner of the net with Barkas very poor. Celtic continued to concede free kicks in dangerous areas. Elyonoussi had a chance to lob McGregor but put it miles over the bar. That was about one of the few times the visitors had anything to worry about and they coped easily throughout the game. Over the full game Celtic had no attempts on target.

Goldson struck again early in the 2nd half when he availed of a rebound off Duffy to prod it home with Walsh frozen when he might have got a block. By contrast The Rangers defence were always easily able to cope with any potential danger. The usual plethora of subs appeared . I did feel Griff and Ajeti might have caused a problem or two with support and a much longer game time. Klimala  achieved little though he had no support. Laxait showed a few signs he could be a good signing. 

Overall NL has to invigorate this side.  They have been dreadful for several weeks and  it is only late winners that have us fairly close. A trip to Aberdeen on Saturday and more garbage could have us in big danger of losing our title. 

• Like 2

Absolutely dreadful performance, a bit like all our performances so far this season.

Keeper should have saved first and Walsh should have attacked the ball for second and cut out the danger.

Ely had a chance but woeful effort, when he should have slipped in Paddy for a tap in, Griff did round keeper near the end but forced wide.

How alarming is it to play 90min of football and not force keeper to make a single save?

Nicham was a passenger, Brown was our best player but got no help, Ajer decent and did like the look of Lax.

NL tactics are worrying me, keeps shoehorning a striker, and then it becomes an impossible task for the lone striker.

Next up is Milan at home and then up to Aberdeen. We need to quickly find our MoJo. 

• Like 2

That was awful. About as bad as it can get. It was fairly obvious after only 15 minutes who the winner was going to be. 

How on earth can we have "no shots on target?" Not one! Easy day for their keeper, whereas a nightmare for ours. I'm not impressed with him at all.

Ajer had a decent game, Duffy went AWOL and wee Jeremie played it back nearly every time.

Brown is too slow. CalMac didn't turn up.

Lennon has to sort this out. Sitting in the dugout for the entire 90 minutes with your arms folded inspires noone.

I'm dreading the coming week. Could be a right shambles if recent events are anything to go by.

• Like 2

Unsurprisingly another defeat tonight 3-1 to AC Milan in the Europa League. A decent start but conceded in 1st Milan attack. The Italians controlled the game from then on with Celtic just chasing. Laxait again looking our best player.  Jeremie much more lively but his final ball lacking when in good positions. A 2nd goal before half time .Very poor defending again. Duffy is having a nightmare time.

Switch to back 4 at HT and Celtic much more lively, Ely involved in a lot of play and he headed in a corner from Christie in the 76th minute. Much better from Celtic. After that a few dreadful free kicks from Christie and in injury time a clinching Milan goal with Duffy very poor again. 

I found it hard to get too worked up about it. I don't think will make the last 32 this season. I am much more concerned with Aberdeen game. We cannot afford to fall further behind in the league race. Hopefully we can begin to lift the cloud over the side pronto. 

• Like 2

Agree with both of you, Salty & Hackjam, all solid points but neither of you touched on our new goalkeeper. I think he's rank rotten. Keeping FF for this season was vital, or at least someone of his calibre. Vargas is far, far away from FF's league. Aberdeen this weekend is going to be a big test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your right about keeper, not exactly filling me with confidence, along with Duffy, but feel we have little option but to stick with him, not dropped any clangers yet. Sure, FF was the man but suspect financially out of our reach.

Aberdeen are flying, must feel never aa better time to play us. And its one of 3 big games against them-Sunday, cup semi and the Boli game in hand, so if McInnes has got Lennys number, then its curtains for Lenny.

I believe we will get a result on Sunday if he is not stubborn and  picks the correct side. Back 4, and fit in Tam.

• Thanks 1

Celtic threw away 2 more points at Pittrodie today after a 3-3 draw. The 1st half was the usual Celtic rubbish. A shot from Jeremie I could have saved myself and a long range effort from Ntcham just wide.  Jeremie was getting the ball in plenty of space but kept cutting inside into traffic . Apart from a few crosses into a packed area Celtic did nothing. Then in the closing minutes Ntcham like a bull in a china shop clattered into Ferguson in the area. No need to make any challenge but 1-0 to Aberdeen.                                                                                                                                                       

Celtic looked more lively on the restart and were soon level. A superb pass from Rogic set up ,Calmac who made room and fired home. Rogic missed a good chance soon after. Celtic were looking far more lively but then Duffy did his Ambrose/Boyata impression and lost the ball when in control . Ball was cented and Aberdeen availed of a rebound to go ahead again. In the 75th minute Griff on as a sub fired in a great equalizer. Celtic were lucky as Duffy was not penalised just before when he clattered into an opponent . Within 2 minutes Celtic were ahead from a penalty when Ely was fouled in the area. A silly penalty to concede. 

Noe the question was could Celtic manage not to cock it up again.  They drove me mad in the closing ten minutes when it looked like Aberdeen had 2 extra men as Celtic kept falling back and inviting trouble. They escaped when Cosgrove shot wide but then in injury time Calmac fouled again in the area . He had been giving away stupid free kicks on several occassions before. Ferguson levelled from the spot.

There is no question we now have a crisis on our hands . Uninspired for the most part in creating chances and  a nightmare at the back.  Apart from the usual hopeless deliveries we continue to make mindless challanges when there is no hope of winning the ball. 

• Like 1

Lenny's coat is now on a shaky nail following a clueless display at Aberdeen.

You just cannot expect to win games with that sort of defending.

It is also now clear that CalMac cannot play that Brown role, must have given away half a dozen simple fouls.

3-2 up and we should have entered game management.

Rogic did contribute 2 assists and Griff with a neat finish were the only positives.

Ely a let down again, usual Nicham could nae give a dam display and Duffy, what was he thinking of when he was in control of the situation, as for the 2 penalty's, clueless by both ON and CMcG.

Just looks as if players dont have the stomach for it.

If Lenny does get his jotters, who do we turn to? Strachan, Mick McCarthy???

• Thanks 1

A 2-2 draw in Lille tonight in a better Celtic performance against the La Ligue leaders. Lille had all the early play. Bain made a good block and tipped a free kick over after a stupid challenge by Duffy. Celtic gradually began to get into it and went ahead when Ajeti set Elyonoussi away with a clever back heel . Ely with piles of space careered on and from outside the area curled a superb shot into the corner of the net. Within a couple of minutes we were 2 up when Jeremie made a good burst and  squared for Ely who guided it into the corner of the net. Could we hold on to HT. Another needless challenge by Duffy saw lille awarded a penalty though the offence was clearly outside the box. But Bain saved the jerseys and we escaped. A few minutes later he made another good block with his feet but then came and completely missed and was lucky when Lille hit the bar and over. Happy to have survived to HT.

Lille took over again in the 2nd half and Celtic fell back under heavy pressure. We were not helped by our midfield being overrun with Ntcham's  lack of pace being shown up and he was annoyomous. Typical Lenny waited far too long to beef up the middle of the park. So it was no surprise when Lille made the constant pressure pay from one of several corners as Christie was  caught ball watching and Celiz scored with a shot Bain will be disappointed he didn't stop. Ajar at this stage was off injured and Bitton came on. Within a few minutes Ely had another chance but instead of shooting took too many touches and was crowded out. Eddy came on for Ajeti who had put in a terrific shift scrapping for everything.  Lille equalized with 15 minutes to go with a scrappy goal with a couple of our defence unable to block the shot. At that stage I was convince we would snatch defeat but we suddenly began to have a decent bit of play and some poor decisions saw us waste a few  decent opportunities. Finally with 10 minutes to go Lenny made a few subs IMO far too late and took off Ntcham  Laxait who had another excellent game and Brown. We had a good portion of play in the final 15 minutes and  looked the more likely side to score.

I feel this was a game we could have won. Defence continues to look dodgy. Ajer was good until his injury while Jeremie amd Laxait both had some very good moments. Duffy far too fond of stupid challenges. Ely and Ajeti very good and good to see Eddy back though he lacks sharpness understandably.   

Overall things look more promising as we face Aberdeen again Sunday in Cup Semi. 

• Like 1

Great to see both Bitton and Eddy back, Ajer will be a massive loss to us, was in really good form.

It was crystal clear after 5 min of the second half that Nicham was out of gas.

That Lax continues to impress, loves a tackle.

CalMac was a totally different player from Aberdeen game last weekend, tracking back, proper tackles..

Duffy continues to be a bomb scare.

Just wonder whats going on with keeper situation. We spend 5M on a so called decent keeper and suddenly Bain is ahead of him??

Ajer out, and Forrest and CJ looking like they wont be back anytime soon. Hopefully, ElHam will make Sundays squad. Micky J must be getting close.

• Thanks 1

Celtic qualified for another Cup Final today with a 2-0 win over Aberdeen. After a shaky start Celtic moved up several gears and played the first half as we expect. Two outstanding goals in 5 minutes. Christie moved inside took a pass from Rogic and curled a terrific shot from outside the area into the top corner. Celtic were moving the ball much quicker than the usual lethargic build up and creating space and opportunities. Christie missed arguably a better chance within a minute when he failed to connect properly with a diving header. But within a couple of minutes it was 2 . Eddie who was poor I thought set up Rogic with what looked an overhit pass. but the Aussie chipped a terrific ball across that took out Lewis and Elyounoussi leapt high at the far post  to fire into the roof of the net. This was champagne football compared to the dross of the last few weeks. We had a comfortable 2-0 HT lead.

By comparison the 2nd half was dull stuff. Celtic after an early flurry just seemed content to contain Aberdeen and with our defence not terribly relaxing. Bitton almost sold the jerseys early on but Cosgrove failed to take advantage. Aberdeen kept pressing and you felt if they got one back it could be panic stations . The second half was punctuated by a dreary series of free kicks But thankfully we stayed reasonably solid at the back and were very comfortable at the end. Laxait again impressed  and Rogic though slower that a season or two ago still has the ability to conjure up a piece of magic. Christie showed again with a bit of space he can be extremely dangerous  instead of these over optimistic efforts he is forced into by being crowded out.

A repeat of last years final on December 20th.  Let us hope this is a sign of better consistent form. We badly need to get motoring in the League.

A few positives to take from yesterdays cup win-Clean sheet for our make shift defense, Eddy, Bitton amd ElHam back, Duffy decent.

Rogic again that spark we have been missing recently, Lax continues to impress. Finally seem to have the LB position sorted, after spunking 5M on both Taylor and Boli.

We did look leggy second half but saw it out. Aberdeen with no urgency.

Disappointing to hear Forrest out for some time, suspect will be new year before we see him. Hopefully, Micky J to return soon. Still no word on big CJ.

• Thanks 1

Half time in the Europa League, and 2-0 down to a team that is without 7 first team players, and who have been hammered in their two previous EL games.
Neil Lennon looks totally lost, sitting in the dug out. Why Celtic re-employed him as Manager, when his sole "tactic" is to use the central defender as a forward, when all is lost, is beyond me.
Time to look for a Manager who can actually coach, and improve the team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Difficult to disagree. A shocking spineless Celtic performance compounded by the usual abject defending. Even after the Celtic goal I had every confidence in Celtic losing more goals as has become the norm in European games at Celtic Park.

It would require a miracle to qualify now from the group and frankly  we would probably be better off out of it to concentrate on the league.

• Like 2

Another shambolic performance. Started reasonably well, controlled first 20min, without creating a chance, then they take over, and score from a corner, nobody tracking runner to near post. A second soon follows, as they convert one of several chances. Ely did clip the bar in our first effort on target on near the 40th min. So we go in 0-2 down at HT and, low and behold, same 11 show up after HT. Eddy totally isolated up front, no help from midfielders.

Lenny finally changes it on the hour mark, going 3 at the back, CalMac starts to play well and we start getting joy down the right especially, Tam and Griff work a reply and we continue to press.

Then just as NL is about to bring on Ajeti & Olie, they score a third when the boy skips past a tame Duffy and sets up a third. They score a 4th at the death.

Overrun in midfield, shambolic in defending, blunt up front, same same.

If we dont win at Fir Park on Sunday, Lenny is toast. Its a long time since we have played so poorly.

• Thanks 1

The defensive woes continue year on year, I feel there is a good team there but I cannot get my head around why they have not switched to a top level defensive coach. I do not get why Kennedy is still part of the picture even now as assistant manager, I'd think twice for those calling for Lenny to be removed with Kennedy ready to step in.  

• Like 1

A vital win at Fir park comfortable  in the end. A much improved Celtic today though you  would admit they could hardly be as bad as Thursday. An elyounoussi hat trick did the trick today, Celtic struck early when the Well lost possession and Ajeti shot across goal and on to the post Ely following in was right on the spot to finish. Defensively Celtic kept giving away free kicks and these always cause concern. Brown clumsily fell over an attacker in the area but thankfully not enough to concede a penalty. But a few minutes later we went 2-0 up. A superb piece of play by Rogic who cut the ball back for an alert Ely to finish. Christie missed a good chance just before the break after Rogic raced from his own area to set him up.

The Well almost scored on the resumption from a goal mouth scramble.  Then little Jeremie was the victim of a shocking challenge which should have been a red card but was only a yellow. The word tonight is that it is ligament damage and he will probably be out for a while. The Well got back in it in the 7Oth minute with a Gallagher header from a free kick. Bitton very poor challenge for the ball. Just as  you were getting worried El Hamed on as a sub made a good burst fired over a good centre and Ely rose to head a superb 3rd for his hat trick. Ntcham added a 4th near the end when Eddy laid it on a plate for him. 

So comfortable in the end but defensive worries persist. We cannot afford to lose more ground in title race and can only pray that we survive the goddam International break without further injuries or virus withdrawals.

• Like 1

Guess International break has come at a good time for us.

We have been playing <deleted> all season, so hopefully we will refocus now during this break, get some players back from injury and kick on.

On the positive front, looks like young Jerry is not badly hurt after that horrendous assault on Sunday, Ref giving every hammer thrower in Scotland green light to hack him, just like KT in the past. Also  looks like big CJ is on the way back, hopefully after Int break, and Ajer also. M.Johnson must be near a comeback.

For now, I would like to see us go:

Barkas

ElHam, CJ, Ajer and Lax

Christie and CMcG

Jerry, Tam and Ely

Ajeti

Our keeper situation, Bain is reliable, bang average, Barkas has not really done anything wrong and needs to be given the opportunity to prove himself, after all, we spent a lot of coin.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

2 more points thrown away at Easter Road (almost three) and our grip on the title is steadily being eroded. It's becoming death by a thousand cuts. The old reliable horrific defending to the fore again.  To this we have now added concession of mindless penalties. That clown Brown yesterday ( He has previous. Cluj last year) This season Jullien at Kilmarnock, Ntcham and McGregor at Aberdeen and  yesterday. 6 points tossed away needlessly. 

I felt sorry for Bain. He made a good save got the ball away from the goal but his sleeping defence came to Hibs rescue. Then Bitton went to sleep and we were 2 down. The siesta over Celtic subs set about saving the game and just about suceeded .

Lenny is getting it both barrels and several articles saying this is the end. It would not surprise me if moves are afoot to make a change . If he survives stop picking Brown. Too slow and brainless at times like yday. If we had another Glasqow derby next week we would be swamped in the middle of the park again. 

The infuriating aspect is we are capable of much better but we are running out of time to sort things out. Depressing times.

• Like 1

Depressing times indeed, cant believe Lenny is still at the helm after another typical shambolic performance. What was Brown thinking of? And check out our players-except Ajer-just standing there, hands on their hips when the boy strikes the penalty. Unbelievable from pro footballers. 

We go 2-0 down and its like, hang on a minute,  we better get our finger out and start playing. 

We are so clueless as a team, players too scared to make a brave pass. H e must realize Brown is not cutting it and does not work playing him and CMcG together.  

I fully expected Lenny to be punted Sat night, get a new manager in, use the Europa game to try a find a winning template. And hopefully entire coaching staff out the door also. 

Right now, only Lax and Ajer performing, and maybe Christe also, always willing to have a go. The rest, well they need to have a good look at themselves. 

Any ideas who we could turn to? Strachan? Lambert?

• Like 1

Celtic exited the Europa League with a whimper in Prague at the end of another 4-1 hammering by Sparta. Sparta again looked the more menacing from the off . Right out of the blue Celtic went ahead. Ely set up Eddie in a breakaway attack . He held off a couple of defenders and scored across goal from a tight angle. You felt it was only a matter of time before we conceded and after a corner Celtic failed to clear. Brown far too timid in the tackle Calmac playing 3 players onside and easy finish for the leveller. Ntcham had a chance soon after but shot wide when he should at least worked the goalie. Sparta were moving the ball much better as in the first leg and were far more comfortable in possession. They went ahead late in the first half when Ajer failed to cut out a centre which was bundled home at the far post Another preventable goal and just before HT is could have been 3 when the home time had a header against the post.

Celtic had a good amount of possession in the early stages of the 2nd half. The keeper made a good block form an Eddy free kick and Eddy missed a good chance when his finish was far too tame. Apart from that Celtic were making little headway and as in other games you expected another home goal and it came after a poor header from Elmahed  who then failed to cut out a pass and the forward raced clear to set up the 3rd. To add insult to injury Sparta added a 4th in the last minute after a kamikaze dash from goal by Bain who was rounded with ease and McGregor was unable to stop it. 

Another dreadful defensive performance does nothing to lift the gloom. I don't think anyone is heartbroken at this stage at confirmation  of failing to qualify but it does not bode well for the remainder of the season and our hopes of holding on to the title.

• Thanks 1

Fine report, Salty old son. Shame it wasn't better news.

The plus side to this is that now (hopefully) we will concentrate on the "10" and put European football out of sight for another season. Getting the "10" is the main goal for now. Let's hope Lemon and his team are thinking along these lines too.

Nicham and Brown were empty jerseys first half.

Christie took 2 corners first half, first one he kicks back to halfway line, and with our center half's waiting in the box, we almost get undone when they get possession. Second one he hits first defender and same same second half. Shambolic. 

What was Ajer thinking of for second goal, letting the ball run across him?

We did improve second half, Eddy unlucky with free kick.

This is so depressing, I just cant see Lenny turning it around. Something needs to change bigtime. We are in trouble all over the team.

Brown needs dropping, we just have no energy with him in the team.

Thats something like 2 wins in 9 games with a shed load of goals conceded.

• Thanks 1