The Official Glasgow Celtic Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, Jockstar said:

Really? After the game. BBC saying Celtic thrashed them. So i clicked on the link thinking they had actually pumped them badly. As much as 3-0 is a good score. Its not really a thrashing. More BBC <deleted>.

Weak sending off too to ensure an Old Firm win....typical really.

• Sad 1

The Raith Player would have been more at home in Murrayfield. As it was already 3-0 the deserved sending off hardly had any impact on the result. But Celtic made very poor use of the numerical advantage.

An unsatisfactory display in general from the Bhoys. Injury situation very concerning. Terrific pass from McCarthy for the opener but he is well short of full fitness. Rogic had a nightmare. He continually overhit passes. Jota excellent but he also apparently has some sort of knock.

Not reassuring with away league fixtures coming up shortly and Europa League.

• Like 1

Last couple of games have been a bit of a reality check, rue the missed opportunity to do the rebuild from January  means maybe this whole season will be spent on rebuild and getting the team right.

It wasn't a bad game yesterday and better than the week before but even with injuries that team are still months away from consistency and winning regularly.

The early season sparkle has dimmed considerably in last few games.  Only saw highlights. 

No dwelling on the shocking challenge on McCarthy only on penalty claim. Definite DU foul just before on Starfelt. Well taken DU goal ,but Ralston made a very poor effort to allow the centre. 

Having handed back our early advantage  we were unable to get the win hitting the bar a few times. 

It makes things even more difficult and not a comforting thought for upcoming fixtures. We need to regain our sparkle pronto.  

0-4 at home is a poor result, they are a top side. Good to have some of our injured players back.

Never going to control midfield against a top side with DT and Tam.

Schoolboy stuff from Turnbull for first goal and he was dreadful till hooked.  We did create plenty of chances, their keeper pulled off some outstanding saves, our 3 up top Jota Gogo and Dada did well overall, Dadas crossing was poor mostly.

Ralston getting exposed, Starfelt was solid, big ask for young Monty against such opposition. Bitton looked decent when he came on, would have him ahead of JMcC.

Not much recovery time, off to the sheep pen for a mid day KO on Sunday.

• Thanks 2

Watched the highlights this morning, yep we are going to be very exposed to quality sides. Twitter is toxic today and with a tough game on Sunday a lot of fans seem to be reaching for the self destruct button.

Its an odd one, we are in a rebuild phase knowing we likely need two more transfer windows so that does not change from one week to the next, whilst not an exuse for some of the poor play it does mean we will unlikey be the team we want to be for a long while yet and if we sacrifice those long term improvement goals to satisfy a baying mob the cycle of a toin coss for scottish league but abysmal in Europe will continue.

I'd like the backroom change at international window but if the board are now in two minds about ange they will stall and set the team back and self fulfil a failure prophecy through inaction.

There does not seem to be any action plan regarding the leaky defence which is a worry nor an open consideration that during rebuild many of the players are not good enough for the current gameplan - fans need to know what we are doing about that.

We could play a 5-4-1 with Kyogo up front and likely cut down the goals at the back and still win games but is that what we want, is that what is needed against better opposition, I have no idea but I would like the manager talking a bit more about the options even if he rules them out. Even if we go 3 nil up, maybe then we can experiment with a being a bit more solid at the back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hardly a surprise that we were beaten by a top quality side but the margin was depressing.. We created some decent chances early on but ran into an inspired keeper. Inevitably we conceded a simple goal and gave away the ball upfield with threadbare cover for the 2nd.

A lively start to the 2nd half with Abada missing a great chance but once the penalty made it 3 any chance of keeping the margin respectable was gone. Very unlikely to make the last 32 our focus has to be on domestic matters.

We can but hope we will get a away win on Sunday. At least Calmac and Kyoto are back and touch wood will stay injury free.

I think the biggest issue right now is Ange stating ‘"We're not going to change our approach. I believe in big games we should go into them and not fear anyone. The process takes time and you're going to cop some knocks on the chin.” I’m worried that Ange is accepting losing, being mediocre for a loner term goal.

In my opinion if they current batch of players CANNOT play his way, then Ange has to change the players or change his tactics.

Results matter now and I think Ange will be judged on results this month especially away to Aberdeen, Hibs and Motherwell

56 minutes ago, bolt said:

I think the biggest issue right now is Ange stating ‘"We're not going to change our approach. I believe in big games we should go into them and not fear anyone. The process takes time and you're going to cop some knocks on the chin.” I’m worried that Ange is accepting losing, being mediocre for a loner term goal.

In my opinion if they current batch of players CANNOT play his way, then Ange has to change the players or change his tactics.

Results matter now and I think Ange will be judged on results this month especially away to Aberdeen, Hibs and Motherwell

As  i said before. He is a good manager. But he needs players who buy into his way of playing and also players who can play the way he wishes. With a rebuild , you need several transfer windows to get the team you want to implement your system. SG took a few seasons to get our team playing in the way he wanted. 

A late goal saw us finally win away but it does little to ease our concerns about the sides effectiveness. Well on top in the first half Kyoto’s inspired opportunism gave us a 1-0 interval lead. Apart from an early Britton header from a corner when he should have scored and a great effort by Jota we created very little. 

Given our continual weakness in dealing with corners/free kicks it was difficult to escape the sense of foreboding and a much improved Aberdeen we’re putting us under pressure. On cue they levelled from a corner. Britton very poor and despite Montgomery on the post Ferguson’s header crept in under the bar. Hart seemed to think he would have dealt with it,  Atvthis stage the home side looked far more dangerous and Hart made good stops from Brown and Hayes, We were very slow and predictable in attack and the home goalie was having a trouble free afternoon. Kyoto after his goal got no service . Then with time running out Celtic created the first decent opportunity. Rogic on as a sub played a great ball to Montgomery  who rolled a well judged ball across the area for Jota to finish. Huge sigh of relief.

Very happy to get the win but this mainly uninspired play is far from reassuring. Like last season far too slow in the build up. Very little inspiration coming from midfield..

It was another poor performance, along the lines of previous 5 or 6 games. However, we did stick at it and eventually got the winner near the end, after great work by Tam and Monty. But between our goals, offered very little, a throw back to last season, lots of possession but no penetration.

Bitton, Monty and Hart all could have prevented equalizer, I think I saw a stat saying 5 of the 6 SPL goals conceded this season were from set pieces. Tells me coaching staff not doing enough.

Next up Motherwell away, always tough, even more so as they will have 2 weeks to prepare, whereas we have half our team scattered to the 4 winds.

When Julian, Josip and Forrest come back, it will help but the big problem is no bite or creativity in the midfield.  Was happy to see Bitton start and he was reasonable, but just not the answer, neither is McC. Soro just does not seem to have the discipline or maturity to cut it. So its critical that midfield is prioritized at next transfer window. Turnbull and Tam getting flogged and its starting to show.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

3 points in the bag after away trip to Fir park, decent assured performance, backs solid enough, always good to get a clean sheet.  CMcG and Tam ran the show, DT, goal aside, was poor, as was Dada on the wing. Another superb finish from the impressive Jota. Good to see MJ back, all 3 subs did reasonably well..

Boli started slowly, had a brain fart that we got away with-lucky Wullie was crooked, and grew into the game, looked composed. Would like to see him get an extended run.

Some optimism with CJ and Jamesy back training and Josip should be ready soon. 

• Thanks 1

Only saw highlights but it seemed a much more convincing display than some of the recent displays. 2 good goals and 2nd would have settled the nerves. 

MJ back from the knackers yard . How long this time I wonder?  Ovedrall in jury situation looks good at the moment.

we may/may not have got a break with Boligoli handball. BBC not so keen to include dodgy incidents from other clubs.

• Like 1

Yes indeed, BBC not keen on highlighting dodgy incidents.

Next up Euro tie at a great time tomorrow, should be adequately rested for next weekend, which, for me, is far more important game. In fact, not too concerned about tomorrows result. My understanding is that if we finish 3rd in the group, we go into the other Euro competition after Xmas. Just a step too far for our thread bare squad. 

Celtic kept our hopes of qualifying alive with a 2-0 win over Ferencvaros.  

After a dominant 1st half without reward Celtic went ahead with a superb goal. A terrific measured pass from Jota set up Kyoto whose excellent first touch set him up for a sublime finish. A strong contender for goal of the season surely. Calmac missed a penalty when Montgomery  was fouled in the box . Always worry with a 1 goal lead but after making an awful attempt to force the ball home Turnbull got lucky when the ball rebounded off a defender and in to give us a cushion. Starfelt almost gave a goal back through poncing about and giving a hospital back pass but not for the first time Hart came to the rescue. Jota missed a sitter near the end.

Overall a good performance but would be happier with more decisive play in the final 3rd. St Johnstone at home on Saturday. 

• Like 1

Third win on the bounce, another clean sheet, impact from the bench, players coming back from injuries, lots of positives. 50K fans in the park, would have been happy overall.

Was 2 going on more, penalty miss and 2 criminal misses at the death, MJ played in Jota and Jota played in Turnbull, both absolutely superb passes.

Defense reasonably solid, despite Starfelts brain fart. Joe Hart continues to impress.

Dada been poor recently for me, with the Greek and MJ starting to get up to speed, his place is under threat.

All in all, decent result and performance.

Nice to have a Saturday 3pm KO and 3 day gap instead of the normal 2.

• Thanks 1

Another 3 points, clean sheet also, against a rank St J side, happy just to park the bus, don't think Hart had one save to make.

Overall, satisfactory enough team performance, defense solid, Micky J impressed from the bench, GG netted his first goal and got an hour under his belt. Shocking from Ref not to red card one of the hammer throwers.

Bench even starting to look strong, a few games ago we had nothing on bench to influence a game, now we have the likes of MJ, Dada and Monty. And Forrest and CJ should be back soon.

Next up a trip to Easter Road mid week, we seem to be on a decent run of form.

• Thanks 2

Thankfully things have improved on the injury front and the side are benefitting.  Only saw highlights.

The Greek netted his chance and will hopefully reciprocate his exploits in Holland. Mikey J looked lively . At present the bench does indeed looks to have many promising options. Ange's problem will be who to start  but that is every managers ideal.  

Dreadful display by the whistler. Hard to escape the conclusion that a red card would be produced elsewhere.

• Like 1

Another 3 points and our good form continues.

Was  a funny sort of game, for most of the first half, we were on fire, scored 3, should have had more but for some poor decision making, concede from a set piece, then Tam goes off hurt and we suddenly cannot string a few passes together.

Big JH with 2 massive saves, one at one nil. Our defense came under pressure second half and stood tall. Not sure who got MOM, AR and Starfeld both played well, as did CCV, but Brown for me.

• Thanks 1

Seems like the old cliche a game of 2 halves. Terrific 1st half  3 up should have been more but when TR went off lost inspiration . Couple of great saves from Joe Hart saved us sweating towards the end.

Overall a good night. Up to 2nd and now just 2 points behind. A potential tricky hurdle overcome. Hopefully TR injury not serious.

• Thanks 1

2 points flushed down the pan. First reaction was why no Gogo? Good to see Forrest on bench.  Really poor first half, keeper had a few routine  crosses to deal with, no shots. but midfield no cutting edge.  GG very static up top. Starfelt should have burried a header. We did come into it in last few min of first half, AR had a shot cleared off the line. Just missing that spark. Also got the impression we were overplaying it, just have a shot or try a ball over the top.

Second half , just more of the same, absolutely no link up play. We did look slightly better when the changes were made but still not testing keeper, I got fed up shouting shoot. Talk about a one trick pony performance. Then that circus with the penalty. I wont even go there but <deleted>?  The guy had been dreadful all game.  And Forrest misses a sitter also.

So many players so poor.

Sometimes, I do despair.

• Thanks 1

Hard to shake off the feeling of depression, Followed on radio and watched “highlights”: TR badly missed .. Created almost nothing with so much possession.

But it was the spurning of the gilt edged opportunity from the spot that really rankled. A miserable effort. Very short walk up and an apologetic shot which I might have saved myself. 5 points dropped against Livingston. Apparently it was Ange’s decision to nominate GK as penalty taker rather than Juranovic who has been very reliable so far.

Beware a Greek bearing gifts.

• Like 1

Yep a demoralising game from many aspects.

The self defeating fans silence likely contributed to a poor game overall, we had an outstanding first 30 mins on Wednesday and we could have done with the same out the box yesterday, maybe a valid point but could have been made in a way that did not potentially impact the result of a game.

Livi playing almost entirely for a zero zero result, yes they are potentially heading towards relegation zone so every point matters but going all out for nil-nil, meh. That said, 85% possession and two shots on target. 

Knowing the bus will be parked and the only way we have cracked that recently (one corner set piece apart in six months on Wednesday) has been pace, i.e Kyogo. I do think he is going to get fatigued though but I'd start him, early goals can open floodgates.

The penalty, not sure it should have been given but it was a sense of dread before it was kicked.

A clean sheet and a point, were only take aways. Lessons to be learned hopefully but I suspect we may see this sort of game a few times more before the season is over.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The penalty, not sure it should have been given but it was a sense of dread before it was kicked.

Never a penalty. Guy made a meal of it. <deleted> hate to see that <deleted>. Good players play acting, gives me the <deleted>s.

Not got the same buzz now about Thursdays game, still raw after that <deleted> show at weekend, would have been buzzing it the penalty or Forrests chance had gone in.

Anyway, will be a completely different type game, which should suit us, be an open game, reckon there will be a few goals.

Suspect Welsh will come in for Starfelt, as we will have a bit of defending to do, maybe see Bitton in at CH for weekend.

Regardless, Ange quickly needs to figure out how to get by the parked bus. 

• Sad 1

An away win in Budapest kept alive our chances of making the last 32.  3 excellent goals scored and overall very satisfactorily marred only by some sloppy defending at times.

We were ahead after only 2 minutes . Abada put their defence under pressure found Kyogo who wheeled away from a couple of defenders and fired home. Ferencvaros pressed and where whinging at every contact trying to put the officials under pressure. We have been down this road before and some unnerving defending saw the home side level in 8 further minutes. Abada made a risky pass inside which was intercepted. It was passed out to the winger and his attempted cross glanced off Juranovic and soared across goal and into the far corner giving Joe Hart no chance.

The game was lively and after a smart save from JH midway thru the half, he released quickly and Calmac found Jota in space. He cut inside and his shot took a slight deflection and went in via the inside of the post. Joe Hart made a good save when Celtic were nearly caught. .again. 

Ferencvaros almost equalised early in the 2nd half when a swerving shot hit the bar with JH well beaten.  A few minutes later Celtic did like wise . Kyogo almost scored again but his dink over the keeper was  cleared by a retreating defender. Then another terrific Celtic goal. Turnbull coming back won possession found Calmac  who sent Kyogo away, a superb pass to Abada whose anticipation was excellent and from a very tight angle fired across goal into the far corner.

Ange then replaced the front 3 with Mijey J JF and Costas.  Celtic were well in control but MJ gave the ball away carelessly in the closing moments which lead to a 2nd for the Hungarians.  This   had us living on our nerves for the remaining 7/8 minutes but we won a few free kicks due to silly fouling and this eased the pressure .

Our midfield 3 were outstanding, big JH no chance with their goals. First time JJ has looked comfortable at LB.

All 3 attackers scored, really liked big GG's intelligent hold up play when we were trying to see out the game, must have been a hell of a relief for our defenders being able to get us up the park.

Next up Dundee, Sunday noon KO, will be a totally different style game with them bus parkers.

Bitton and Welsh went off, may see Scales at CB for this one.

• Thanks 1

Was a bit late last night so watched the game this morning without knowing the score. 

Still in Europe after Christmas, thats a big win in my view considering the state we were in at the start of season.

Good high energy football this morning, winning the ball back quickly when it was lost alongside quicker passing and a growing vision for where the attackers are making their runs was very positive. The high energy levels still require team rotation and those forward replacements still have work to do to get up to speed.

Still a bit nervy playing from the back and for me we did seem to leave players unmarked in key positions and were lucky the did not find them.

Weekend - I saw someone describe livi as 'anti-football masters of the universe' and it struck a chord, Celtic need to be able to counter that not just for themselves but for the whole of Scottish football, our league gets bad press and its not surprising if a lot of 'anti-football' is going on. At the Celtic aberdeen game I was impressed how they came at Celtic even though they lost, they have had an even harder time than Celtic adjusting but I also think for them they will be a better team for adjusting their style to more entertaining footie.

• Thanks 1

A comfortable win in Dundee today thanks to 2 each from Jota and Kyogo who were both immense. Ralston was superb setting up 3 of the goals. We should have got more. Carter Vickers and Welsh failed to score from free headers at corners. 

Downside was very poor defending for both  Dundee goals. Essential we don't let that gap widen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1