The Official Glasgow Celtic Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

After what seemed like an eternity, we finally get back on the park in front of a full house against the Hibs, and went home with 3 points, with a really good first half performance, kind of took foot off gas second half.

Surprised to see Ralston not starting but 2 new boys started and Jota off the bench, good news indeed.

Hibs missed a sitter at the start and we go up the park, press well, turn them over and Maeda with a composed finish, from a Tam set up. Lovely ball by Taylor is controlled in the box by Dada and Ref spots a hand ball, JJ buries the spot kick. We are in total control, with new boy Reo running the show in midfield. Played with good tempo, had a few decent chances but failed to take.

Then second half was a bit flat, we were in control but unable to add that 3rd goal. Hibs, in fairness, did have decent spells of possession, big JH with one great cross save.

MOM was deservedly won by Reo. Little impact from bench but game had petered out by then.

Most played well, Starfelt done reasonably well against Nisbet, Taylor with some good passing but most of Hibs chances came down his wing and he offers little in attack.

• Thanks 1

Good to get back in action last night and get the 3 points, The main interest was in new signings and both Japanese acquitted themselves well.  Daizen scored early  soon after we survived a mighty scare. But it was Reo who was the star with a very promising display in midfield. Juranovic's penalty made it fairly comfortable and with no cock ups in defence it was a relatively relaxing evening though the 2nd half  was conducive to insomnia.

The one item of bad news is that it now seems Kyogo could be out for a month. Just as well we have options up front. 

Cup match at the weekend so there should be changes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Missed the cup game at weekend-steaming. 2 good goals but the result overshadowed by injury to CalMac, apparently we were kicked off the park. And now 2 of our first choice starting 11 off to play internationals, thats so wrong in the middle of the season.

Anyway, a hard earned 3pts last night in Edinburgh. We started so well, scored 2 fine goals, total control of the game, but totally died a death in second half. Starfelt all over the place for their goal and then 2 of our players handle the ball and ref gives a penalty. But our luck was in, boy strikes the post and we hang on.

Encouraging to see big CJ on the bench, I would like to see him start at weekend instead of Starfelt, not as if we will have a lot of defending to do anyway. Would also like to see Scales get a run ahead of Taylor. 

• Thanks 1

I thought Starfelt had a really good game, it had a lot to do and maybe 1 mistake in 10 tends to get called out.

First half team looked good, second half was a bit nervy and a big touch of luck regarding the penalty miss. It sort of balances up the first game of the season as both could very easily been two draws.

Not a bad makeshift team though, in my view though will need something different for next week.

Credit to hearts for coming at us.

• Like 2

Terrific 1st half followed by a very poor 2nd half saw us hang on desperately for the 3 points.  Great goal by Hatate and a 2nd from close in by Giakoumakis had us well in control  but then we steadily began to fade and were hanging on at the end. Open season by the "official" in the Cup Match had reduced our playing personnel for this game . 

Our completely new midfield faded steadily and we were under almost non stop pressure in the closing stages. We were fortunate that Boyce missed the penalty as it is very doubtful if we could have rallied to have gone ahead again. 

We are going to need a lot of Anges "resilience and grit" in the coming week.  I would hesitate to use  CJ as he is unlikely to be match fit . But with Starfelt in defence it does little to calm the nerves. We are between the devil and the deep blue sea here.

Hopefully the official on Saturday will apply the rules and crack down on "agricultural" challenges. We will need as many fit players as possible for the Glasgow Derby.

• Like 2

More nerve wrecking drama yesterday. DU almost hung on, having defended well for 90min but a superb cross and finish saw 10 man Celtic scrape by.

We actually played really well but were just blunt up front. Was the sort of game we would won comfortably if we had the Gogo and Tam. Just missing that bit of quality in the final third.

Bitton, who was having a really good game sold the jersey- again-2 yellows for pull backs-and now he will miss midweek game, in an area we are struggling. Must say, O'Riley was outstanding, my MOM.

We saw both Scales and Taylor for a half each, neither impressed. Forrest looks well off it at the moment, looks to have lost pace, CCV and Starfelt solid, big GG up front had a few chances and fluffed his lines, keeper did make one outstanding save from him. Dada looks better playing through the middle than the wing IMO. Was encouraging to see Ange make changes at HT, guess that's the beauty of the 5 subs rule. 

There's talk of Maeda making a dash home for Wednesday night, here's hoping.

• Thanks 1

A stunning Glasgow Derby display from Celtic which few of us had forseen, We grabbed the initiative from the off bolstered by an early goal ,and never let go.

As we approached HT we still lead by only 1-0 despite several dangerous efforts. As I anticipated McGregor was having his usual blinder in goal, and was keeping The Rangers in it. JH made a terrific grab to deny Arfield and Celtic went downfield for Abada to set up Hatate for a terrific 2nd bending it round Goldson and past the unsighted goalie.  Parkhead erupted. I had hardly  time to think of dont give anything away  when Juranovic set Hatate clear to fire in a centre which the alert Abada took advantage of a dozing defence to fire in a 3rd. A thunderous ovation greeted Celtic at HT; 

Unsurprisingly Celtic were not as effective in the 2nd half but what was pleasing was the solid defensive display and the hard working display of the side . The nearest to a goal was a rocket from sub Jack which rattled the bar but otherwise we were comfortable. Hatate MOTM but huge performances from the whole side. But for McGregor it could have been a rout. 

While the huge feel ,good factor is difficult to avoid we are a point ahead with 14 games to go and we need to keep the foot on the accelerator. Somehow I feel Ange will be well aware of this  and a full complement will be used to maximum advantage in the games ahead.

• Thanks 1

Just a shout out for CMcG and Ange.

It was so brave of our captain to put himself up for selection and then to go out and put in a terrify performance.

And what big Ange said after the game was pure class, about giving the fans a 90min away from the worries of everyday life.

Motherwell hammer throwers up next, would run with same 11 except Bitton for CMcG. We do have options now in midfield, with Tam also in the mix. And great that the 5 sub rule has been reintroduced.

Will be a totally different type game, as they will park bus-and we have struggled with breaking down that system recently.

• Thanks 1

Backed up our big midweek result with another comprehensive win, clean sheet again, rested a few big guns, things looking good at the moment. Pipe and slippers time for JH in goals.

Ralston Dada and Tam tearing it up along the right flank in first half, was job done at HT. Bitton second half slotted in seamlessly. Big GG up front shooting blanks, their keeper did pull off some great saves-3 with his foot.

Suspect Tam got MOM, cant listen to fat pie man after his disgusting comments midweek about CMcG, cannot believe the balloon has not been canned by Sky.

Another difficult trip up north Wednesday night but we seem to be in a good place right now with 2 superb performances lately, good to see that finally, we are taking our chances. Strongest starting 11, can rest/rotate cup game at weekend. And Broony, well ya ken the script mate. 

Another 3pts after a poor performance at the Dons place. Back to function testing my ticker for last half an hour.

Ange dropped Tam and the big Greek, who had done well recently. No Juranovic?? Anyway, played reasonably well first half and made the most of the few chances we created. Jota and MOR with 2 scrappy goals and Jota had one chalked off, we were strolling it at HT.

Then bang, ABZ came out second half and took control. Scored from 2 set pieces-surprise surprise, but then we show a lot of character to regain the lead. Ange slow to make changes when the tide was turning. We hold out in the end but so nervy. Never an easy place to go, expectations high after recent displays, just so glad to escape with full points to stay top of the pile.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I should have warned you about this Norwegian team, Bodo from above the polar circle,  their coach is a master tactician and again they get away with a result.  Last year beating Roma 6-1 at home.   

Still not an impossible task, their goal keeper is suspended, he was probably MOTM .   

Edited by balo

6 minutes ago, balo said:

I guess I should have warned you about this Norwegian team, Bodo from above the polar circle,  their coach is a master tactician and again they get away with a result.  Last year beating Roma 6-1 at home.   

Still not an impossible task, their goal keeper is suspended, he was probably MOTM .   

I thought they were a couple of characters from Lord of the Rings. Who's the coach? Bilbo Baggins?

• Haha 1

Yes indeed, Bodo a well drilled side, having to call on the big guns to get past the might Raith in the cup, we headed into the Euro tie in positive spirit but were totally undone. Ange did not help the cause by going with MOR and Tam together in midfield, isolating CMcG. We did get back into the game with a good goal from Maeda, crowd get to life and then bang, sucker punch of a 3rd goal. A sharp lesson in Euro football for Ange, cannot see us turning it around over there on lego pitch.

So we really need to refocus on a more important game today, with Dundee the visitors to a stormy Celtic Park.

Another function for ticker. Done our best to chuck away points but got over the line eventually.

Concede from a set piece, then we go 2 - 1 up at HT. Another set piece shambles see it back to 2-2 for the final half hour of nerve jangling, before a cross from the excellent Ralston is bundled over the line by the hard working GG.

Our defending is really suspect recently-4 goals conceded from set pieces in last 2 SPL games is just criminal. 5 goals in last 2 games.

MOR was poor and Ange took his time to hook him. But it paid off when he sent on Bitton, moving CMcG further forward.

I suspect GG got MOM but Ralston for me. That's 7 assists for him in SPL so fat this season-and 4 goals, too good to leave out of the team, even if it means shoe horning JJ to the LB.

Been banging the drum for big CJ to get a run, with us conceding from set pieces, regularly into double figures every game for corner kicks that we offer little or no threat, I want to see him back on the park, after all, he is a 7M quid asset.

Not sure how you guys feel about tonight's game but I am all for just fielding a weakened side, Hibs on Sunday way more important for me.

That 3rd goal last week was the killer, they are such a solid and well drilled side, I just cannot see us turning it around even at full strength. So rest the big guns for Sunday. We are a work in progress, Europe can be put on the back burner for now. Way too much at stake on Sunday. 

Last thing we need is all our first pick boys going full tilt in a dead rubber on plastic pitch.

Edited by hackjam
  • Like 2

Not an easy watch last night, a makeshift starting 11 totally overrun in first half, JH saving our embarrassment with a few fine stops. We actually played well for the the first 25 min of the second half, due to CMcG and Dada being introduced. Tam and MOR do not work together against decent opposition, Ange should have learned that from first leg. Hard to pick anyone out for praise, most were rank but in fairness, it was a team just thrown together.

Anyway, glad Ange picked a weakened side, we now can concentrate on the SPL, starting with strongest 11 available starting 11 against Hibs Sunday. With no European games, should see us playing Saturdays from now on.

Hearing Turnbull is not far away, good news.

After a run of poor performances, finally put in a decent game on a historically difficult venue for us. A great early save by JH bailed us out, then we get a fortunate penalty but Cal misses, how many penalty's has he missed for Celtic? Eventually we go one up, they strike the bar from a set piece, then an OG before a fine effort from the Forrest see us coasting-for a minute. A simple long throw not delt with and they get one back.

Was great to see Ralston back, he should start every game, another assist-think that's 8 this season. Starfelt has come onto a game, Forrest getting there at an important time of the season, Turnbull should be back soon, so things looking on the up.

We looked better with Bitton in that DM role, allowing Cal to operate further forward. Right now, our best midfield combo.

• Thanks 1