The Official Glasgow Celtic Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

After the goal settled things I was able to enjoy the game. Jota back on good form for this one. Penalties we seem a bit short when Juranovic is not on the pitch.

Early goals seem key for us as they also change the way the opposition plays and we see better football.

Sloppy goal lost and got lucky leaving a free header which hit the bar.

Overall much better play from Celtic, might get interesting dynamics over coming weeks if teams need wins to get to top six and then need wins for Europe places.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got by a tricky cup tie, actually showed character to grind out an ugly win on a horrible night weather wise. 3 scrappy goals, and a clean sheet. Hatate lucky not to see red-gets worse every time its replayed. But, my god, some of our passing and decision making was shocking. Surprised to see Tam and Ralston in the subs-both nailed on starters for me, not sure why Jota and Dada not included, did hear Ange say Jota had a slight knock, hopefully back at weekend. Not a fan of Tam and MOR playing together. In the end, just glad to get through to Semi final.

Next up a visit from the Dingwall lads. 

Well the Dingwall hammer throwers came to town, had one animal red carded, after Ref just gave him the green light to hack away, he should have been carded much earlier. Hopefully, no major damage to Tam.

3 points, another clean sheet, a decent performance, our front 3 on fire. We seem to have stumbled on an effective front 3, GG looks clumsy and awkward, poor touch and hold up but just what we need in the box to get on the end of the many crosses that we deliver. Bagged another hat trick, so well done big man. Also seems to have that aggressive streak, not getting bullied. All his goals are one touch, never going to skin a few players and burry the ball. Looks a proper penalty box striker.

One player I have been really impressed with recently is Maeda. He did hit a few poor crosses but everything else is so positive, great reaction to bag a few goals recently but its his work rate, engine, attitude, etc. that really impress me.

So encouraging to have DT back and must say, we now have quality options from bench-DT, MO'R, Ralston, Dada all champing at the bit, and Forrest and Gogo still to return.

We will need all to contribute in the run in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Massive 3pts yesterday, started awful, all over the shop, JJ gets done way too easy and bang, 1-0 down. But showed great character to respond, great run by Cal and eventually, Tam pokes home. Then before HT, great work by Starfelt and CCV slots home.

Second half delayed for glass collection, we defend brilliantly and Dada has 2 glorious chances but fluffs his lines-that second one he should have berried but hits straight down keepers throat. Some excellent subs thrown on by Ange  and works a treat, Bitton and AR impressed. 

Everyone played their part, Hatate was off it, looked jaded, be good to rest him up a bit next game, like I said before, we now have quality options available.

Next up St J at home, am sure Ange will have the group focused, no screaming into a camera lens from him, way too shrewd for that type of pathetic nonsense. 

• Thanks 1

Impressive performance on Saturday, full house, sun shining, slamming 7 past a hopeless St J, with 6 different scorers-all Ange signings. With practically a full strength squad to pick from, guess we saw the benefits of a whole week on the training pitch.

Again, looking at the bench, so many quality options right now. Only negative being an injury to big GG, who took a difficult chance well to score our second.

And finally, it looks to me that Ange has figured how to dismantle a team that comes to park the bus.

Next up is a Sunday trip to HQ for cup semi final.

One of our worse performances of the season, well outplayed, over run in midfield and still could have stolen it, CCV cracked a shot off the bar when we were 1 up. I dont recall their keeper making a save all game, our goal was a lucky deflection. Too many of our players did not turn up, and by 60min, we were out on our butts, looked like we were the ones that went to extra time Thursday night, despite having a week on the training ground.

A big wake up call, league is in our own hands but we need to tune in pronto. We lost the game because we were second best but my God, how poor was the Ref??

• Like 1

Agree that it was our worst performance in a long, long time. Why on earth did everyone look so jaded? Is Hampden's pitch really so BIG!

The ref was the twelfth man for The Rangers, that's for sure. I think his lodge name is Boaby MadHun  ????????????

FB_IMG_1650352393129.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1-1 against "The Rangers" yesterday.

Should have been done and dusted by half time but we just couldn't finish on at least two occasions.

The second half was a nail-biter. We didn't turn up for most of it and were lucky to hang on for the draw.

6 points clear, 3 games left and a massive goal difference sees us sitting quite comfortable now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is with great sadness that I have just been informed that Salty has passed away.

Salty (John) took ill a couple of months ago and was placed in a home in Cork.

His brother, Liam, was kind enough to give me the details via email of his condition.

Last Saturday he lost consciousness and died peacefully on Wednesday morning.

I met John through this thread and we met many times for a beer or two when he was in Bangkok. I will miss him dearly, as will my wife and four bhoys, who John spoiled with gifts on his visits. He was a wonderful character and his knowledge of Celtic outstanding. I am sure we will all miss his contributions here on ThaiVisa.

Sleep well, Salty Old Son.

CB  ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, CelticBhoy said:

It is with great sadness that I have just been informed that Salty has passed away.

Salty (John) took ill a couple of months ago and was placed in a home in Cork.

His brother, Liam, was kind enough to give me the details via email of his condition.

Last Saturday he lost consciousness and died peacefully on Wednesday morning.

I met John through this thread and we met many times for a beer or two when he was in Bangkok. I will miss him dearly, as will my wife and four bhoys, who John spoiled with gifts on his visits. He was a wonderful character and his knowledge of Celtic outstanding. I am sure we will all miss his contributions here on ThaiVisa.

Sleep well, Salty Old Son.

CB  ????

Such sad news. He will indeed be missed ????

R.I.P. Salty 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Brilliant news that CCV has been landed. Suspect that the prospect of him playing CL football swung the deal.

Just need Jota on board now and its just some fine tuning of the squad.

Harry Kewell added to coaching staff, at least its an Ange appointment. He has a poor management record but he wont be coming to manage.

Its a set piece coach we desperately need to bring in.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

More outstanding news, Jota on a long term deal.

Also, landed Siegrist on a free, now we have a proper back up keeper, was totally bricking it last season , thinking if anything were to happen JH.

And a new LB, dont know anything about him but got be better than Taylor, who contributed so little in an attacking sense.

All in all, a great window so far. Squad looks well strong and am sure Ange has a few more in his sights

As ever, the big challenge is to offload the high earners who seem to have little future under Ange, likes of Boli, Ajeti, McCarthy, big CJ.

• Like 1

Interesting wee article from "The Record" . . . . 

"Callum McGregor has saluted Celtic’s early work in the transfer market and hopes there’s more new faces to come as the Parkhead skipper looks to build on last season’s double success of the Scottish Premiership and Premier Sports Cup.

And the Hoops skipper reckons a pre-season training camp in mountainous Austria can prove the perfect preparation for Ange Postecoglou to build on the heights of his first season in charge as Celtic look to make an impact on the Champions League.

Celtic are jetting out to their base on Monday take to the field for their first friendly game on Wednesday when they take on minnows SC Wiener Viktoria in Bad Erlach in the first of three friendlies before they return to Glasgow. McGregor has welcomed new faces Alexandro Bernabei and Benjamin Siegrist - as well as coach Harry Kewell - who join last season’s loanees Jota and Cameron Carter-Vickers in penning permanent deals which has delighted the 29-year-old club captain."

• Like 1

First friendly of the season last night, knocked 7 past some Austrian 3rd division mob. Encouraging to see the likes of Vata and Lawal involved, both are proper prospects.

Also, big CJ started, not quiet sure whats going on with him but guess Ange will want to see him get game time either way. Would be great to have him back, otherwise we will need to bring in another Center Half. 

• Like 1

We scored a couple of belters in this friendly against Banik Ostrava.

Worth watching the highlights on YouTube for the goals and the madness:

"The Centurions were celebrating their 100th anniversary and a raucous 15,000 crowd brought pyro...and a punch up with each other! Yes, several supporters were spotted getting handsy with each other before kick off. And they never let up even when Postecoglou's men piled up the chances and eventually the goals during an exciting 4-2 win over the Czech Premier League side. And that's not to mention the toilet roll that filled the pitch in the first half."

Looking forward to the Blackburn game at weekend, on at a decent time too. Yes, some cracking goals indeed as we continue our pre season.

The squad is in a good place, we have quality options in most positions. Maybe a defensive midfielder to rotate with CMcG and also a CH. 

Also good to see that Soro and that Brick Boli gone, neither had a future at Celtic, so best for all parties. Soros discipline let him down and Boli was just toxic. 

Still leaves a few to get shot of-Ajeti, McCarthy, would be my top 2 picks to be moved on and it looks increasingly likely that big CJ is not going to cut it, so best to move him on.

I had no idea that Stokes was on the lam. Must check the Daily Record again this week to see what happens to the tool:

"Former Celtic footballer Anthony Stokes has been returned to Scotland to face justice after evading police for over a year.

The 33-year old footballer had been wanted for failing to appear at Hamilton Sheriff Court for sentencing last year for bombarding his ex-girlfriend with offensive text messages. A warrant was issued for his arrest with the striker with police believing him to be holed up in Ireland."

Two more signings confirmed today:

"Celtic have announced the signing of German defender Moritz Jenz from French side Lorient...minutes after confirming the capture of Aaron Mooy.

The 23-year-old has signed a season-long loan but Celtic have the option to buy at the end of the season. Moritz emerged as a target this week with reports in his homeland claiming Lorient were keen to move him on after a difficult first year in Ligue 1. They battled against relegation, eventually avoiding the drop by four points, with Jenz making 20 appearances - although he lost his place in the team towards the end of the campaign."

"Celtic have clinched a deal for Aaron Mooy as the Australia international becomes Ange Postecoglou’s sixth signing of the summer. The attacking midfielder spent two years at St Mirren as a youngster and returns to the Scottish Premiership a decade after ending his stint in Paisley. Mooy has been capped 52 times for Australia and played under Postecoglou for the national team who he is hoping to travel to Qatar with this winter for the World Cup."

Not sure I see either as a nailed on first starter but certainly both will be valuable additions to squad. Saying that, with Starfelt not up to speed yet, if Jenz were to come straight in and impress alongside CCV, who knows, could hold the slot.

So looks like end of the line for big CJ now with Jens being brought in, might be best to loan out Lawel, preferably to a top 6 SPL side.

And with a midfielder coming into squad, may see the back of McCarthy.

Big game tonight for a Celtic legend in Poland, hope all goes well for big Arthur, he totally got what Celtic were all about. 

Stayed up late last night to watch game, we were awesome first half, Hatate running the show, scored 2 and hit the post 3 or 4 times, Maeda and Walsh our other best players.

HT, Ange made many changes and team stopped functioning. CCV with a shocker for their first goal, let the ball bounce and then got rag dolled. 

Easy to cane certain players for second half performance but we just did not function as a team.

My first sighting of new LB, he has a lot to do to get up to speed, did show willingness to get forward.

Next up Norwich on Saturday, hopefully Ange leaves our first choice 11 on for most of the game, just to see exactly where we are at against what should be decent opposition. .

• Thanks 1

Yep great first half, amazing transition from this time last year.

Decent flexibility up front, some in midfield but defense might need a consistent 4 as seems to drop quite a bit when rotating.

Hatate back on form, if he needs a weeks rest to hit that form then I'd just play him every other week but hopefully last year was due too many games and given the summer rest he can do that level consistently.

CL will be entertaining, "there will be goals".

• Like 2

Decent performance last night, lovely finish by Maeda, second half great strike by Turnbull. Hatate again running the show, big JH with a few good stops second half.

The boy Jenz looked a player. New LB still off it but did show some flashes.

That's the serious stuff starting next week.

A few big calls for Ange to make. RB, Ralston on form, who partners CCV, Walsh been consistent and using ball well,  LB he will likely run with Taylor, In midfield either MOR or DT, Maeda is on form, Jota not as effective on the right, and then who plays up top? Kyago off it yesterday big GG looking decent. Either way, encouraging to have a few quality options.

Interesting to see the team sheet next week.

• Like 1