The Official Glasgow Celtic Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

What an occasion yesterday flag day at CP, would love to have been there. Awesome scenes. 

Started well, great for SW to be involved on such a special occasion and then to bag an early goal, overall he played really well, so comfortable on the ball. We played some lovely crisp passing football but with no end product. I was screaming on several occasions for players to shoot but we took too much out of it. Dons had a great chance before HT but the chance fell to one of our own and Jonny knows the drill.

The Gogo was really ineffective up top and made way for big GG, Jota with a screamer calmed the nerves. Must say, just want him on the left and Abada on the right.

What an impressive bench we now have.

Must mention Taylor, he had outstanding game and seems to have really upped his game under Ange.

Next up a trip to the Highlands, cant wait. How can we ever forget last season when up stepped Ralston for such an important injury time winner, one of the results of the season.

Always a tough gig in the highlands, so just glad to get the 3pts. A few forced changes, dominated possession as expected but found it difficult to break them down. A good finish by Kyogo saw us 1 up, then they equalize and we chuck the kitchen sink at them.

Big JH with a great save from a cheap free kick conceded by Janz, who made amends with a great headed finish. Awesome strike from Dada in injury time.

Interesting that all 3 goals came from left wing and the outstanding Jota had a hand in all 3. He needs to stay left side from the off.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Outstanding result at weekend, putting 5 past Killie.

Horrible pitch and horrible team, manager and CF. A total one trick pony of a team and I hope they are relegated. Lump ball up to pork chop upfront and that's it. Lots of sly shirt pulling etc.

So we come away happy, score 5 and keep a clean sheet.

Do like the look of what little I have seen of Mooy, would actually like to see him start on Sunday if Reo still out, he just looks to have something about him.

Still no movement in offloading our deadwood.

• Like 1

Made hard work of it against a poor Hearts outfit, controlled first half, played some good football but only 1-0 up at HT.

Then second half, we loose control of the game, cant get hold of the ball. Hatate coming on made a bit of a difference but both DT and MOR were both over run in midfield.

Our defense did stand firm, CCV was outstanding, all his passing out from the back were on the money. Big GG did eventually add that vital second goal but was in injury time with them down to 9 men.

So another 3 points, clean sheet, squad in a good place, talk of a boy coming in from Russian league, so overall, cant complain.

Next up a trip to Dundee to take on UTD.

• Like 1

Group stage draw puts us in Group F and looks like this:

Real Madrid

Leipzig

Shakhtar 

Celtic

Reigning champions Real! We don't like to do things easy!

Shakhtar (Ukranian) will be the easiest going on past experience.

Leipzig (German) currently playing below par in the Bundesliga.

First game will be in early September.

• Like 1

Actually not that bad a draw, RM will top the group, we do have a realistic chance of getting second spot, away game against SD will be in Warsaw.

More positive transfer activity, big CJ back home to France and new man Sead in on a 5 year deal, hearing he will need a bit of time before he is up to speed. Best of luck to big CJ, just unlucky with that injury but will always be remembered for that cup final goal.

I still reckon we need a beast of a DM, someone that can put in crunching tackle, do the dirty work, when needed.

• Like 1

What a game. 9-0. The finest team performance in donkey's years.

Jota was outstanding. Everyone put in an excellent day's work.

And with the next few games coming up this is perfect timing to be at our best.

Dundee United did try in the first half, but their recent run of form continued after the break.

I don't think there were any United fans left in the stadium after the hour mark!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Outstanding result by our second string team -bar CMcG- in the Highlands last night. Brave from Ange to trust them and it paid off, bet he found out a hell of a lot about the squad last night. The proper call with some massive games coming up. 

Turnbull and Mooy ran the show, Ralston awesome at RB, Welsh excellent distribution. Goalie not much to do but confident in taking crosses and composed footwork. New winger looks the real deal in short time on the park.

New LB was a bit ropey-too many misplaced passes, poor decision making but he does seem to have potential, great at getting forward, some good defending, so all in all, just needs game time.

Next up in this cup are the hammer throwers from Motherwell.

Ajeti and MJ away out on loan-Austrian and Portuguese clubs. Shift JMcC and that will have been an awesome transfer window. 

• Like 1

With the transfer window closing last night, must say, been the best window since Martin O'N was bringing in the likes if Sutton and Hartson.

Finally got the DM we have been crying out for, at 6' 4" adds physicality to our midfield and just the kind of player we need for away European games.

Good to get MJ and Ajeti out , even if its only loans.

What a difference from our usual shambolic  windows of recent times.

Not sure how the money tally's up but suspect we have spent around 20M this window, no idea how much we brought in.

• Like 1

We are looking good. Really good. Our second-string "B" team could top the SPFL easily, too.

That's nine players Ange has brought in during this window. Have to agree that it's the best looking selection of players in a long time.

Looking forward to Saturday now. Evening kick off. Perfect!

• Like 2

Outstanding yesterday, was man against boys, suspect we would have scored 6 or 7 if we did not have one eye on RM midweek. Abada with a brace, Jota with a Larson style finish had us coasting at HT.

Only downside were a few injuries, star forward was clattered by that animal early doors, Starfelt also went off. Must say, reckon Jenz looked more composed when he came on. 

Even the introduction of the fat banjo player made no difference, although he did give GT the slip once. Overall, our defense coped well with their powder puff efforts. 

Interesting, the 11 that started were all players from last season, none of the new signings started.

Next up RM on Tuesday night, will be some buzz at CP. 

• Like 1

Squad list

The 25-man squad is:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, Benjamin Siegrist, Scott Bain

Defenders: Josip Juranovic, Anthony Ralston, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Stephen Welsh, Moritz Jenz, Carl Starfelt, Greg Taylor, Alexandro Bernabei

Midfielders: Callum McGregor, Oliver Abildgaard, James McCarthy, Matt O'Riley, Aaron Mooy, Reo Hatate, David Turnbull

Attackers: Kyogo Furuhashi, Jota, Giorgos Giakoumakis, Daizen Maeda, Liel Abada, James Forrest, Sead Haksabanovic

After an incredible first half with McGregor hitting the post, Abada being put through on goal by a perfect ball from Jota and then Maeda fluffing a sitter the lads from Madrid turned on the style and put three by us.

It was an intense match to watch. I'm so glad I got up in the wee hours for it. Celtic did us proud and they weren't out-classed as many seemed to think so before the game. The first 50 minutes must have given the Real fans a bit of a scare. We had a 15 minute spell then where we seemed to take our foot of the gas and they took control with two quick goals. Their third goal was incredible; Hazard getting on to a cross that the Real players had been passing around for ages!

Ange has us playing a wonderful, quick style of football now that is a joy to watch!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2 points dropped in my book, we were better side but again, like RM game, never took our chances. The last 2 misses by GG and Maeda were criminal. Just got to take your chances at this level. Both ourselves and RM last week had 5 clear cut chances each, they took 3. MOR was poor and reckon he wont start next European match, Maeda was good when he came on, snuffed out their danger man. We need his work rate in CL games, and it gets Jota back to his best position on left side.

Next up a trip to Paisley for a noon KO on Sunday, lets hope for a resumption of our outstanding League form. Be good to get a glimpse of new Dane.

Edited by hackjam

Tough game to watch. A bit to close to the form from two years ago, lots of possession but too much passing around and wayward crosses.

Team rotation an obvious flag, we will need to rotate but I'd be more comfortable doing it at home and after we go a couple of goals up. I think this was evident in the break speed, often they did not know where a player would be running into space so the ball went back a lot and that slowed things down to cant get past parked bus level.  We have shown even with a parked bus we can rip a new hole in it but it needs the rapid pace and a wee touch of magic, both lacking today. 

Fitted into St mirrens game plan which was a simple disrupt gameplay and counter, any team can follow that game play so if we don't turn up then we know what to expect.

CCV missed. 

Lets see after the break, get the players putting the ball in the net.

Yes, CCV a big miss but no need to rest Reo and Jota, got an Int break coming up. So much for our squad depth. 

St M totally bullied us, but we were so blunt. I don't recall their keeper making a decent save, a few shots straight at him and soaked up crosses all day, our crossing was dreadful.

• 2 weeks later...

A nerve win in the end but at least we got the 3 pts. Overall, a much improved performance but undone by some criminal misses, stone wall penalty not given and some comical defending, leading to their goal, Joe Hart, who is not covering himself in glory lately, should have taken control of a harmless ball into the box, CalMac took one for the team after some hospital passes played us into a knot.  

A trip to Germany beckons midweek, would great to have CCV and GG back for this one.

Another tanking in Europe. We do well to get it back to 1-1 early in second half, riding our luck and instead of slowing it down, Hart is like a headless chicken, vaulting advertising boards to get the ball back in play as quickly as possible to give it to the full back, who has just sprinted the length of the pitch chasing back an attack.

We need to wise up a lot, especially playing against better quality footballers. OK, sometimes, when we have a team on the rack, by all means go for jugular and get after it.

Was a terrible blunder by Joe to make it 2-1, Welsh and Taylor our best players on the night. A big blow CalMac getting injured, really need a few of our fringe players to step up. Was not impressed with the big Dane, I know its early doors for him, he did break up the play well but his passing really poor.

On a positive note, looking good for CCV to come back at weekend.

These away games perhaps need a touch more thought on getting the ball back in play quickly. At home we have a big advantage that the ball boys are trained for this and have been doing a great job but at away games this speed is just not possible.

Focus on when ball is in play and move it forward, if we start doing ballboys job it gets messy but I support the all out attack approach knowing we will lose a few goals in Europe and maybe now again on the end of a complete tanking.

It is a reminder though that this is a longer plan than one or two seasons and that I agree with, youngish team should get better every year and compete maybe in two years time. For decades we have struggled in Europe and we were not getting better as a team. Last year and now we are a better team and that for me is what I'd like to see year on year.

Carter and to a lesser extent starfelt are big factors though.

Cal replacement will be interesting today, was he not banned anyway before the injury. 

• Like 1

Absolute Rollo coaster of emotions yesterday, reminded me of Ross C game last season. We were in total control of the game but only 1-0 up. Ange makes a load of subs and we loose control and eventually they equalize in injury time, needless free given away by CCV. And thats it, 2 points dropped. But lo and behold, we grab a winner with last kick of the game, what a sensation. Unbelievable. But thats why we are champions. 

Really impressed with Hacka, so direct, love that, and also Bernie at LB, outstanding first half and an assist at the death. Big GG was woeful all day, unable to play simple passes but God did he redeem himself. 

That Baldy linesman could not wait to raise his flag every time, was like " I am not sure so will flag it anyway". Proper kunt. 

Ralston and Reo played well, as did Jamese when he came on. MOR played in the CalMac role, did reasonably well

• Like 1