The Official Chelsea FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

12 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

How thuccking boring was that,Even the Everton fans stop booing Barkley (not a threat) had to laugh when the quote came in from a previous manager that Barkley was "a cross between Paul Gascoigne and Michael Ballack" ....previous manager must have been Stevie Wonder.

Still not all bad...the first coat is now dry.

We started off OK but, the longer the game wore on, the worse Jorginho, Alonso and Pedro got. That's a quarter of the team that aren't good enough and shouldn't be playing. Sarri is 100 % to blame for that, especially as it effects the performance and confidence of others in the team. Hazard particularly was getting frustrated with Alonso's lack of pace and creativity. Kante normally does the work of two people, but here, he was covering for three or four. No wonder he looked absolutely f****d at the end. Regarding Barkley, I thought he did quite did well without setting the place alight. What is it with our away form in the Premier League? Only Fulham have a worse record than us!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oldgit said:

We started off OK but, the longer the game wore on, the worse Jorginho, Alonso and Pedro got. That's a quarter of the team that aren't good enough and shouldn't be playing. Sarri is 100 % to blame for that, especially as it effects the performance and confidence of others in the team. Hazard particularly was getting frustrated with Alonso's lack of pace and creativity. Kante normally does the work of two people, but here, he was covering for three or four. No wonder he looked absolutely f****d at the end. Regarding Barkley, I thought he did quite did well without setting the place alight. What is it with our away form in the Premier League? Only Fulham have a worse record than us!

Sarri is the only one that "needs setting alight"......just spark one up man forfs and be done with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

I think it's Sarri system, look at Kante 

If they let the poor <deleted> have a smoke on the pitch every now and then his thinking would probably get straightened out.

Two very good games by Barkley for England. The pace on the wings and in attack afforded him loads of space to show his skill on the ball. Unfortunately, we either don't have the players with pace, to drag defenders out of position or Sarri refuses to play them, Hudson -Odoi the obvious example. He's flogging a dead horse(s) if he thinks that Alonso, Jorginho and Azpilicueta have the space and guile to create the space required.

• Like 1

CHO played well in parts, really direct and pacey with some good skill.

However you can understand Sarri’s comments about him learning still.
For starters he had 2 or 3 opportunities to stop their goal early in the first half. A weak attempt at winning a header and 2 tackles he was too afraid to make let them in on goal. Ok he’s not a defender but he has defensive responsibilities.

My other gripe with him is that twice during our goal celebrations CHO was apologising for misplaced sloppy passes that lost possession. Ok we won back possession and went on to score but how often is it the other way round? You lose possession from lazy play and the opposition scores? That’s just normal in the BPL or CL.

Yes I know........he’s only 18.
He needs to listen learn and improve which I hope he does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrTrip said:

CHO played well in parts, really direct and pacey with some good skill.

However you can understand Sarri’s comments about him learning still.
For starters he had 2 or 3 opportunities to stop their goal early in the first half. A weak attempt at winning a header and 2 tackles he was too afraid to make let them in on goal. Ok he’s not a defender but he has defensive responsibilities.

My other gripe with him is that twice during our goal celebrations CHO was apologising for misplaced sloppy passes that lost possession. Ok we won back possession and went on to score but how often is it the other way round? You lose possession from lazy play and the opposition scores? That’s just normal in the BPL or CL.

Yes I know........he’s only 18.
He needs to listen learn and improve which I hope he does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I commented on a piece a few months back, that most of the attack minded youth players coming through from our academy, don't know how to tackle. They can close down and harry opponents well enough but, put in a tackle? Not on your life! Loftus -Cheek is a prime example of this type of 'defending'. They want to nick the ball instead of trying to stop them in their tracks. That can be OK as long as a player closes down with intelligence, purpose and commitment thereby limiting the options of the opposition, but these half hearted challenges that some put in, are a waste of time and puts the onus on another team member to clear their mess up.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 6:50 PM, oldgit said:

I commented on a piece a few months back, that most of the attack minded youth players coming through from our academy, don't know how to tackle. They can close down and harry opponents well enough but, put in a tackle? Not on your life! Loftus -Cheek is a prime example of this type of 'defending'. They want to nick the ball instead of trying to stop them in their tracks. That can be OK as long as a player closes down with intelligence, purpose and commitment thereby limiting the options of the opposition, but these half hearted challenges that some put in, are a waste of time and puts the onus on another team member to clear their mess up.

You have hit the nail on the head there Og. i have seen loads and i mean loads of our youth teams play and rarely is there a yellow card for any team as they just don't make tackles.....period.

Cant comment on Barkley or Cho as i did not see either England game (only goal highlights).....but did see a goal we conceded and yep MrTrip .....Cho  looked weak to say the least.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2019 at 6:50 PM, oldgit said:

Poor tackling = poor coaching. There is more chance of getting injured with a half-hearted tackle than with a fair, fully committed tackle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keithsimmonds said:

Nice team selection from Theresa Sarri......is he deliberately being a complete khunt....or is it just me.

First half, no invention, no pace and no energy. Higuain looks like a bloke we've dragged off the street because we haven't got enough players.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Yep much improved more pace and a bit more direct and defence for me were relatively untroubled throughout. Best game from Jorhino i have seen in ages. Christensen can play a bit and could have a good future.

I think Christensen knows that, if he keeps his head down and continues playing to this level, he'll be a permanent fixture next season as Luiz will be 32 years old and gone after this season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Am wondering whether to get up at 2.00 for the Pikeys or not, will be none too pleased if I do only to find that he's reverted to his usual favourites.

I think he mentioned after the Brighton game, that he would rest Hudson -Odoi for this. Here's hoping that yer 'Ammers start this game, as they have the previous three, by looking like they've been on the piss the night before.....but I doubt it, as it's us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Am wondering whether to get up at 2.00 for the Pikeys or not, will be none too pleased if I do only to find that he's reverted to his usual favourites.

That,s you me and thousands of others...the likelihood of him starting the same 11 that spanked Brighton......is....unlikely.

I will be getting up though ????....and again on Friday:annoyed:

• Like 1

A fantastic performance from Hazard of course, but with the introduction of Hudson -Odoi and Ruben in the last couple of games, the whole team has been given a lift. There's a new enthusiasm and pace about our play. Even Jorginho has found a yard of pace from somewhere! We can't expect Sarri to play the same team against Slavia Prague but I'm desperate that he keeps last nights team, with the exception of Luiz and Higuain, for the Liverpool game. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oldgit said:

A fantastic performance from Hazard of course, but with the introduction of Hudson -Odoi and Ruben in the last couple of games, the whole team has been given a lift. There's a new enthusiasm and pace about our play. Even Jorginho has found a yard of pace from somewhere! We can't expect Sarri to play the same team against Slavia Prague but I'm desperate that he keeps last nights team, with the exception of Luiz and Higuain, for the Liverpool game. 

Echo all of that Og.

Some of our players could learn a thing or 2 from Rlc....."you will not outmuscle me" loved that part of his game....long may it continue.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

Echo all of that Og.

Some of our players could learn a thing or 2 from Rlc....."you will not outmuscle me" loved that part of his game....long may it continue.

Yes Keith, pleasantly surprised to see him use his considerable bulk to <deleted> people off in this game, as I think he's been a bit hesitant to do so previously. Confidence in being selected from the start is the key, I think. He will need to be equally physical in midfield, at Anfield next weekend, for us to get anything there.

• Like 1

Good win good to keep a clean sheet,maybe not a fluent performance but this was the "B" team imo,with 7 changes from the team that beat West Ham. Thought Pedro was poor throughout Willian good and bad,good for the cross for Alonso,s goal but bad for not releasing the ball quick enough and then losing possession far too easily. Still momentum is there and that,s important.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Good win good to keep a clean sheet,maybe not a fluent performance but this was the "B" team imo,with 7 changes from the team that beat West Ham. Thought Pedro was poor throughout Willian good and bad,good for the cross for Alonso,s goal but bad for not releasing the ball quick enough and then losing possession far too easily. Still momentum is there and that,s important.

This B team was our A team not so long ago! And some of them played like they were on the sulk. As you say Keith, Pedro was a liability all night, Kovacic was quiet and the one redeeming thing Alonso did was score. Other than that, he was poor.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

I think the momentum ends here, unless the "greatest" player in the EPL turns up, might be on then.

Prediction?

Edited by BangrakBob