The Official Chelsea FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

11 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Another English player hyped by the Media then tortured by the media imo.....yeah lad you go and show us your skills be yourself play out from the back.....but the moment you @@@@ up we will be on ya like a ton of bricks.....no pressure then.!!!!

You know why Keith? Because the media can never be wrong, even when they are, or think they are in Stones's case. The slightest whiff of being wrong and they run for cover. TV pundits are the same, other than Roy Keane who couldn't give a f***, they're like the Borg, a collective of mealy mouthed, sit on the fence, a*** lickers who treat the studio as a bar in a pub somewhere, agreeing with each other is a necessity and if someone doesn't toe the line, a nervous jokey quip and a guffaw and he's back in line. And the host (barman) is there to keep the collective happy. You know what sort of "discussion" it will be when he calls out Rio and asks him, because the humble viewer is as thick as s*** and knows nothing, "How much will it mean to United to beat City in their own backyard"........Rio strokes his chin, ponders for a moment and says "Everything". What a man!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, jellydog said:

Looks to me that Stones' confidence is shot. He's still only 26, but needs to get it together soon. I think the jury is out about his mental strength, and Guardiola got to the point where he didn't have much trust in him.

Having confidence in your own ability is a vital commodity for the mentally weak modern footballer. When that evaporates for whatever reason, he's next to useless. Gnabry went to Bayern and got it back.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Can't stay fit and available.

You sure about that? When a player is, for some reason, out of favour, clubs regularly come up with an excuse like a "niggling injury" as a smokescreen to what's really going on. Not too serious an injury you understand, as they don't want to devalue the player when they sell him on.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oldgit said:

You sure about that? When a player is, for some reason, out of favour, clubs regularly come up with an excuse like a "niggling injury" as a smokescreen to what's really going on. Not too serious an injury you understand, as they don't want to devalue the player when they sell him on.

Lot of injuries (like Kompany), can't be relied on, most likely affected his confidence. Pep in january:

"He has to be fit. After two or three games he fell down and he cannot play. We tried to help him, we tried to do the best to help him since the first day of the three-and-a-half years we are here. We do everything for him.

"He has the conditions to become one of the best, yeah. He has the conditions to do it, but to be the best central defender you have to play one entire season, every three days being there. He's still young. As a player he has his future in front of him, it depends on him. It's in his hands and in his head to become one of the best."

• Like 1

Christensen is our John Stones.  I love the previous poster that called the current Chelsea defenders keystone cops.  That's what they look like for corners.  Mighty Frank Lampard has a big task to fix 54 shipped out goals from last season.   

Edited by swerve
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2020 at 2:32 PM, BangrakBob said:

Maaaate, a goalkeeper that didn't move for 30% of goals scored against him is incredible, and the fact that he's the most expensive in the EPL history is even more incredible. 

You're not allowed to use stats in a discussion about football here apparently, I did once and was awarded a silly "statto" badge. Watch your back!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/23/2020 at 10:26 AM, Blue Muton said:

.....and Kepa is our

Sprake.jpg

Gary Sprake was miles tougher than the snowman. Many time I've seen him lead with his feet, when coming out for a corner or free kick, normally when Ossie was bearing down on him. It was a Chelsea- Leeds hatred thing in those days, to a point where it got vicious.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, swerve said:

Another overpriced Leicester player transfers to the Blues. smh

Yeah, from what I've seen, I'm not convinced that he's the right man but, let's give the bloke and Frank's judgement a chance forthwith.

• Like 2

Not overly convinced either but....a big step up from Dave playing a LB...miles quicker than Alonso and is prepared to take a player on...unlike Alonso...plus Alonso ain,t going to get any quicker.....does not (though??) have Alonso,s wand of a left foot for free kicks.

No outs yet apart from Pedro and Willian......at least 6 more recognized names to go.... surely?

See how the team shapes up at Brighton tomorrow.....Covid permitting.

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

Big spending this summer, is it a lot of faith in Frank...or has Roman seen an opportunity to close the gap or...

Right on the first two counts Bob plus, I think Frank saw the lack of depth in the squad, when he had to put a load of kids on the bench against Bayern. We're getting our business done early but there's still plenty of time for Liverpool, City etc. to get in there with a few bombshells.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Not overly convinced either but....a big step up from Dave playing a LB...miles quicker than Alonso and is prepared to take a player on...unlike Alonso...plus Alonso ain,t going to get any quicker.....does not (though??) have Alonso,s wand of a left foot for free kicks.

No outs yet apart from Pedro and Willian......at least 6 more recognized names to go.... surely?

We'll have to have a roll call soon, there's so many changes!

3 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

I've never heard anybody say that a certain player has a "wand of a RIGHT foot". Wonder why that is? I think the first exponent described as having "a wand of a left foot" I heard, was Liam Brady. I can't remember who said it, but it was immediately inserted in The TV Pundits Book of Cliches for future reference.

Incoming Chilwell.  More of an offensive left back for a team that needs defense.  23, with 4 goals total to his name in the PL.  Not fast or particularly good defensively imo.  45 or 50 pounds is a lot of money.  We really should have gone for Leicester's right back for that amount of cash.  Pereira is a way better player.  Time will tell, but I think Leicester hoodwinks us again.  555

6 minutes ago, swerve said:

Incoming Chilwell.  More of an offensive left back for a team that needs defense.  23, with 4 goals total to his name in the PL.  Not fast or particularly good defensively imo.  45 or 50 pounds is a lot of money.  We really should have gone for Leicester's right back for that amount of cash.  Pereira is a way better player.  Time will tell, but I think Leicester hoodwinks us again.  555

Dead right about Pereira mate.

23 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Big spending this summer, is it a lot of faith in Frank...or has Roman seen an opportunity to close the gap or...

As already said...Both. 15 point gap to City is doable.....33 point gap to Liverpool was Laughable....well to me it was. We lost over 14 games last season (all comps) and only (imo) deserved to lose Five... Bayern twice Sheff utd Southampton and Everton,the rest could have gone either way as (imo) we were not outplayed or outfought in any of the other losses. Played you 4 times last year 2 losses 1 draw and 1 victory all great games and equally matched ...imho. Offensively we were great to watch, defensively.......schocking ....(not to be repeated)....i hope.

• Like 2

The Brighton friendly was an ugly watch for me,especially the second half with all those subs.  The only plus for me and it was a big plus was Conor Gallagher (attacking midfielder)..he did look the part,having had loan spells at Charlton and more recently Swansea...he could make the squad for this coming season.....would n,t surprise me.

17 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

The Brighton friendly was an ugly watch for me,especially the second half with all those subs.  The only plus for me and it was a big plus was Conor Gallagher (attacking midfielder)..he did look the part,having had loan spells at Charlton and more recently Swansea...he could make the squad for this coming season.....would n,t surprise me.

Looks like Conor is on his way to Palace for the season while the Kai Havertz transfer saga is well and truly over, and he's joining us. He's one of those very few players that always seem to have time on the ball, even when surrounded by the baying hordes. Gullit was another.

On 8/28/2020 at 9:11 PM, jellydog said:

Chelsea could have had Nicolas Tagliafico from Ajax for half the money. A beast of a left back. But hey ho.

He has been talked up for a couple of years now and linked with plenty of clubs but nobody has taken the plunge. Why is that? BTW, I have been impressed with him when I have seen him, though he looks like wing back in a 5 to me.

4 hours ago, champers said:

He has been talked up for a couple of years now and linked with plenty of clubs but nobody has taken the plunge. Why is that? BTW, I have been impressed with him when I have seen him, though he looks like wing back in a 5 to me.

Only a matter of time before he moves up I figure. Maybe bigger clubs are concerned about Ajax's level of competition. I see where their two wonderkids who went to Barca and Juve didn't set the world on fire.