The Official Chelsea FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

22 minutes ago, R U MAN U U said:

Well done Chelsea, from looking like PL mid-table to UCL winners, nice turn around. 

Best part about it is City didn't win it. And that smug twAat Noel Gallagher's fizzog. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 10.25.37 am.png

Was it his birthday as well?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

So i am i.....too early 4 predictions got to see the team first......big difference is there bench will have cost a lot more than ours that's all.

????????????????????????

Edited by stament

3 hours ago, oldgit said:

Guts, grit and determination throughout the team.

True that and I'll add discipline, focus and as the came wore on, ever increasing belief. I watched on UEFA TV and obviously enjoyed the performance and result, they stuck with the players for quite a while after the cup was lifted and it was great to see the whole squad and staff celebrating, especially those who started with us as kids and the likes of Mendy, Kante, Rudiger & Azpi - well, all of them really.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

So you too suffered David Pleats ramblings and terrible pronunciations (he renamed Gundogan as Gundahan and he butchered Zinchenko).

LOL sounds like you did too. I watched it on BT sport, coverage was pretty good 

On 5/29/2021 at 6:21 AM, stament said:

Hoping the Bees win the play-off first.

Typical northerner, I know nothing of Brentford. I thought it was north of London but confusing myself with Watford. Just checked Google maps and see Brentford is west London near Heathrow and Twickenham.

Question: Against which team will be their closest derby match?

5 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Typical northerner, I know nothing of Brentford. I thought it was north of London but confusing myself with Watford. Just checked Google maps and see Brentford is west London near Heathrow and Twickenham.

Question: Against which team will be their closest derby match?

QPR are the closest but because London has a lot of clubs the local derby isn't always the most fierce.  E.g. Chelsea see Spurs as a bigger rivalry than against Fulham our closest neighbours due to the competitive history. We don't always face our nearest rivals in the same league. Different decades different rivals are elevated. QPR used to be the derby for CH rather than Fulham in the 90s because Fulham weren't in the same division and hence not seen as close rivals.  A bit like United and Liverpool if you like when City weren't in the same league is CH with Spurs.  Of course Spurs v Arsenal is a bigger rivalry.

Brentford were actually above QPR in divisional terms many moons ago.  Fulham were also in the top division among with CH in the 60s.

Who was City's biggest derby rivals when you didn't play United as you weren't in the top division. Stockport? Bolton?

Edited by stament

15 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Well done Chelsea, thought you played a great game, I really did!

A true gent, admitting that and not making excuses. Honourable in defeat, a very good trait. Respect to you BB

2 hours ago, stament said:

QPR are the closest but because London has a lot of clubs the local derby isn't always the most fierce.  E.g. Chelsea see Spurs as a bigger rivalry than against Fulham our closest neighbours due to the competitive history. We don't always face our nearest rivals in the same league. Different decades different rivals are elevated. QPR used to be the derby for CH rather than Fulham in the 90s because Fulham weren't in the same division and hence not seen as close rivals.  A bit like United and Liverpool if you like when City weren't in the same league is CH with Spurs.  Of course Spurs v Arsenal is a bigger rivalry.

Brentford were actually above QPR in divisional terms many moons ago.  Fulham were also in the top division among with CH in the 60s.

Who was City's biggest derby rivals when you didn't play United as you weren't in the top division. Stockport? Bolton?

Cheers for that.

I can't comment for all blues, for instance i think MrBJ is from north side, Rochdale I think, but as I live approx 6 miles from City and 3 miles from Stockport County, and County were on the up when we were on the down, County would have been the local derby - as you know Stockport is a major City fan area.

Bolton never seem local (even though it's not far), and isn't considered Greater Manchester, unlike County Oldham Bury and Rochdale who are local clubs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Cheers for that.

I can't comment for all blues, for instance i think MrBJ is from north side, Rochdale I think, but as I live approx 6 miles from City and 3 miles from Stockport County, and County were on the up when we were on the down, County would have been the local derby - as you know Stockport is a major City fan area.

Bolton never seem local (even though it's not far), and isn't considered Greater Manchester, unlike County Oldham Bury and Rochdale who are local clubs.

I forgot about Oldham. 

15 minutes ago, stament said:

I forgot about Oldham. 

The Oldham who were unbeatable on their plastic pitch (back in the day)....... until a certain team in blue went up there and stuffed them 3 or 4-0. I seem to remember them getting a couple of decent cup results....... unlike a certain team in blue at that time.

17 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

So you too suffered David Pleats ramblings and terrible pronunciations (he renamed Gundogan as Gundahan and he butchered Zinchenko).

Pronunciations aside there are worse out there, but I do remember him saying something completely random at one point, although I can't now remember what it was. 

You need little disappointments at times to make the successes that much sweeter. I know we've each had our share of ups and downs over the years. 

Edited by Blue Muton
  • Like 2