The Official Chelsea FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Fair play to City, we weren't good enough, not enough intensity or attaching adventure.  Very disappointing as I felt we were in a good place and well placed to beat City.  Rain check.  Still there's a silver lining in every cloud, hello villans and bees. ????

• Like 2

When you play City, you know they will have the bulk of the play. That's the way it is nowadays. It happened in the three previous games we played them where we won, except that, on this occasion, our most important midfield player, Kante was a peripheral figure. We can't afford a player of his stature to have an off day.

City's closing down was very good in this game, and didn't allow our wing backs to get upfield to support Lukaku and Werner. I thought losing James early was a blow because he offers that turn of pace and aggressiveness that Azpilicueta doesn't have in offence. The goal changed everything because, from then on, we had to chase the game. Gaps were left for them to exploit so Mendy and the back three did well to quell their forays upfield.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Tommy got that all wrong if the players played to his 1st half instructions. Havertz Ziyech Mount Pulisic...one of them has to play if your going to play Werner and Rom ...which i have no problem with. Hopefully we learn from.that and move on. 

Hello Keef, I talked with "Thomas" last night and while he appreciates your support, he'd be grateful if you would only refer to him as "Thomas". He did admit however, that he looks a bit like Willy Wonka.

• Haha 1

On 9/18/2021 at 4:50 PM, keithsimmonds said:

I see Val Doonican (he loved a Jumper) has thrown his toys out of the pram...still good news for our fans as Man City,s returned tickets for next weeks Early kick off went on sale yesterday. Thanks Pep  :biggrin:???? (last season for him)

Tripe like the above and you have the neck to call my comments Tripe. 

9 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Does your man not permanently wear a jumper? Did he not call out your fans? Did you not return tickets for Saturdays game....stick to the facts.

You called Pep Val Doonican and keep calling Grealish "Dandy Jack" and you have the nerve to call my comments childish!!

As for returning tickets. So what. Early k.o. in London and difficult to get there in time. As you said, thanks Pep, it let more of your fans watch the game. Hope they enjoyed it !! 

• Haha 2

Predictable, lethargic with far too many touches on the ball to render any movement up front meaningless. We played it too safe at times. After one defeat, surely our confidence hasn't dipped that much? It doesn't help that Havertz is struggling to get back to his best, although he probably had our two best chances in the game, with headers that looped over. Try something different. I counted only once where we went long to Lukaku. We should have done it more and bypassed the packed midfield. 

We're going to get more of the same against the Saints on Saturday. They kept City at bay two weeks ago, so it won't be a pushover. Thomas had better instill in the team that we can't hang around, playing the ball sideways. Getting it forward, with quick incisive passing to feet and sharp lay offs should do the trick!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, oldgit said:

Predictable, lethargic with far too many touches on the ball to render any movement up front meaningless. We played it too safe at times. After one defeat, surely our confidence hasn't dipped that much? It doesn't help that Havertz is struggling to get back to his best, although he probably had our two best chances in the game, with headers that looped over. Try something different. I counted only once where we went long to Lukaku. We should have done it more and bypassed the packed midfield. 

We're going to get more of the same against the Saints on Saturday. They kept City at bay two weeks ago, so it won't be a pushover. Thomas had better instill in the team that we can't hang around, playing the ball sideways. Getting it forward, with quick incisive passing to feet and sharp lay offs should do the trick!

Sometimes you just need a bit of luck...all good teams can struggle every now and again to break some stubborn well drilled defences down..then hey presto a lucky deflection and your in ????...or sometimes not.????

Crosses have to be "on the money" and last night too many were under hit over hit too high too low or just simply not quick enough.

We are not even in October yet and already some teams are feeling it...Leeds are last years Sheff utd..sinking fast.... why?....last season took a lot out of the players what with covid and euro comps and now world cup qualification games....April/May is going to seem like a foooking long way off for some....i expect the standard of play for all teams to drop at some point and the Epl this year/season will probably be won with the lowest points total ever imho.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Sometimes you just need a bit of luck...all good teams can struggle every now and again to break some stubborn well drilled defences down..then hey presto a lucky deflection and your in ????...or sometimes not.????

Crosses have to be "on the money" and last night too many were under hit over hit too high too low or just simply not quick enough.

We are not even in October yet and already some teams are feeling it...Leeds are last years Sheff utd..sinking fast.... why?....last season took a lot out of the players what with covid and euro comps and now world cup qualification games....April/May is going to seem like a foooking long way off for some....i expect the standard of play for all teams to drop at some point and the Epl this year/season will probably be won with the lowest points total ever imho.

Agree with everything you said except can't see the premier league being won with less than 75 points which is the current lowest. No chance!

2 hours ago, stament said:

Life is like a box of chocolates. What is staggering for you isn't so for me. It would be boring if we were all the same.

Prediction for this week's game @keithsimmonds?

I was just staggered at the low points total of 75....and not staggered at the fact you knew that.

As for today looking forward to seeng Werner and Rom up front again...3-0 for me.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

I was just staggered at the low points total of 75....and not staggered at the fact you knew that.

As for today looking forward to seeng Werner and Rom up front again...3-0 for me.

Knowledge is the bomb as someone once said.  Guessing from your response you don't expect the winner to achieve less than 75 points now. ????

Great watch... though might not have said that if we didn,t win.Thought the sending off wash harsh given the conditions. Thought Southampton played very well and have a lot going for them. Very very pleased for Rlc thought he had a cracking game,Tommy bringing on Mount was the key for me (the proverbial game changer) and Werner deserved his goal....just a bummer there is now an International break.

TBH , the final scoreline was very flattering in the end????

But take the 3 points to stop the rot setting in????

Full mark,s to T and T run on side,and replacements,clearly showing no favourites with his selections????????????

Edited by deej

I must admit, I was surprised at how high the Saints pressed, considering their centre backs are pretty average and their midfield, not the quickest. It made the game quite open, which allowed us plenty of chances. Werner annoyed the f*** out of me with his first touch. The goal he scored, which was ruled out by VAR was a ridiculous state of affairs. Next, they'll be going back to any possible infringements at the kick off! I thought the directive this season, was to let the game flow. Great to see Werner finally get his goal. It eased the pressure on him plus it calmed me down a bit as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was looking forward to this coming game ....but finding out that totally inept twatt Anthony Taylor is in charge has somewhat taken the shine off....well for me it has.

Nice brace by Timo last night...good for him.

Edited by keithsimmonds
  • Like 2

On 10/12/2021 at 1:04 PM, keithsimmonds said:

Was looking forward to this coming game ....but finding out that totally inept twatt Anthony Taylor is in charge has somewhat taken the shine off....well for me it has.

Nice brace by Timo last night...good for him.

We've got to be on our 'A' game for this mob, as they're alight at the moment. I think we haven't played them since the fifties, so the atmosphere will be electric. I've been impressed with Ivan Toney. Intelligent and plenty of movement up front. As long as we're defensively solid without Thiago, the goals will come.