The Official Chelsea FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Watched the game 3 times now,and when the final whistle blows we lose 3-2????????????

What i liked......Thiago Silva,s expression at the end ...utter thuccking bewilderment as to htf did we lose that....me too.

A rest for Mendy and Rudi and bring in Kepa and Sarr for the ruskies in midweek.

Defeat might be a blessing in disguise....i hope so.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Have to agree and even as a Hammer I don’t know how we won that. Some of your play was great on the eye but you lacked a cutting edge in front of goal. Lukaku looked well off the pace. I thought from the off that our set up was wrong and let you run the midfield and invite you on.  On another day you win comfortably, but this time Moyes is praised for his formation 

Mendy had a shocker and looked nervy from the off. Seemed strange that Kepa must have been out a full 15 minutes warming up even before Kepa showed and his routine looked no where as thorough. 

From out part, we dug in and Bowen’s runs caused problems with your defensive line although you dealt with Antonio really well apart from one run where he out muscled CHO, but then that Isn’t too difficult. 

Thankfully i was not around for World War 1 or 2 but as a Brit you have to put the helmet on suck it up and don,t give in to the enemy no matter what they throw at you = Wham 3 v Chelsea 2

Crisis time! Just looked at the injury list and five players that have been flying lately (Kante, Kovacic, Chalobah, Havertz and Chilwell) will be missing indefinitely while Jorginho is carrying a hip injury. No coincidence that as soon as Kante and Kovacic are missing, we start leaking goals? Loftus -Cheek has filled the breach and is great offensively, but is no Kante at covering defensively. We're struggling in that department, especially as Saul wouldn't get into my village team, the way he's playing, so ,if I was Thomas, I would switch Reece to holding midfield with Ruben and bring in Azpilicueta at right wing back against Zenit. If it works, same again against Leeds with possibly Barkley starting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldgit said:

Crisis time! Just looked at the injury list and five players that have been flying lately (Kante, Kovacic, Chalobah, Havertz and Chilwell) will be missing indefinitely while Jorginho is carrying a hip injury. No coincidence that as soon as Kante and Kovacic are missing, we start leaking goals? Loftus -Cheek has filled the breach and is great offensively, but is no Kante at covering defensively. We're struggling in that department, especially as Saul wouldn't get into my village team, the way he's playing, so ,if I was Thomas, I would switch Reece to holding midfield with Ruben and bring in Azpilicueta at right wing back against Zenit. If it works, same again against Leeds with possibly Barkley starting.

Yes a Genuine list of injuries :whistling:????????‍???? Alonso is also probably sidelined.

This will be a good game for us as the ruskies are no mugs and will want to beat us..a nice scalp to have. I like Sarr and all being well he will start along with Barkley...i wouldn't,t  be surprised to see Saul getting a game either as Rlc is in need of a rest.

Reece can play anywhere and the Leeds game will be a must win.

New away kit for us tonight judging by what the youngsters were wearing against Zenit this afternoon...it looked a lot better than that deckchair/horse racing pink & black candy striped number....and if we win tonight, then superstition says we will wear it more often. Going to be a bit nippy out there,not a game for standing around. coyb

Decidedly average performance from a few players last night,but 8 changes from Saturdays team so never easy to fashion a foot perfect performance. Definite plus was Werner hitting the back of the net twice. Saul unfortunately does not look comfortable at all,and Barkley is never ever going to be a regular starter...maybe Newcastle will buy him in January. Reece done okay in his new midfield position and did not look out of place. Kepa made a few smart saves,and we will need him if the Afcon goes ahead.

Whoever Tommy plays in ,midfield on Saturday they will have to put in a shift....going forward we should have too much for Leeds but we have to finish our chances.....it,s that simple.

• Like 1

Got a bit lucky there,leeds were much the better team in the second half.1st half i thought they poor and negative.

Havertz worked his socks off and covers an enormous amount of ground...no one else stood out for me apart from  Jorgi,s well taken spot kicks.

• Like 1

We've gone from the best passing team in the League, to a side that is as nervous as a kitten on the ball. Confidence hey? A couple of dodgy results and, all of a sudden, we can't string two passes together. Nothing wrong with our energy levels but it's all become a bit to frantic and rushed. Leeds had a lot to do with that because they were quicker, sharper and were very good at closing us down. In the January transfer window, we've got to move heaven and earth to get a decent left wing back with pace.

On 12/12/2021 at 2:23 PM, oldgit said:

We've gone from the best passing team in the League, to a side that is as nervous as a kitten on the ball. Confidence hey? A couple of dodgy results and, all of a sudden, we can't string two passes together. Nothing wrong with our energy levels but it's all become a bit to frantic and rushed. Leeds had a lot to do with that because they were quicker, sharper and were very good at closing us down. In the January transfer window, we've got to move heaven and earth to get a decent left wing back with pace.

Our best performances of late..3nil at Leicester and Juve 4nil at home,had Chalobah Chilwell and Kante in the starting line ups....both Chilwell and Kante haven,t played since (5 games) and Chalobah only featured against Man u before being injured at Watford.

The 2nd half on Saturday was dismal compared to the 1st half,but on reflection most of there success came down our right where Dave didn,t have the pace of there lads and Reece was sitting on a yellow card (cant make a challenge). 

Rubens is not lightning when it comes to moving or passing the ball forward, so without Kante and Kovacic we are much more pedestrian cos Saul cannot be trusted in that midfield position. Alonso although always standing in acres of space and totally unmarked,is never really on as an out ball as he is only ever going to pass it back and not take on that "man"in front of him.

Got to play Ziyech a bit more but i think Tommy is looking after him as he is Pulisic.

Yes Og a decent natural LWB with pace is a must.

Still always a bright side and there is a Bright side...City have won there last 6 Epl games Liverpool won there last 5...and we are only  2 and 1 points behind.....not bad!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deej said:

Our traditional December blue,s continue,s , and ì  shall leave it at that????????????

Yeah, a difficult night against an, understandably, packed defence only interested in keeping the score down. BUT, if we put those early chances away, it becomes a lot easier. As per usual lately, we started this game full of vigour and movement but then those chances don't stick, doubts start to creep in, the play stagnates and things start to become predictable. Thank Gawd Kante is available now to give us some impetus. We'll need it against  Wolves for sure.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, oldgit said:

Yeah, a difficult night against an, understandably, packed defence only interested in keeping the score down. BUT, if we put those early chances away, it becomes a lot easier. As per usual lately, we started this game full of vigour and movement but then those chances don't stick, doubts start to creep in, the play stagnates and things start to become predictable. Thank Gawd Kante is available now to give us some impetus. We'll need it against  Wolves for sure.

Just need one early chance taken and Wolves will have to come out to play......create it then take take it.????

• Like 2

On 12/13/2021 at 9:03 PM, keithsimmonds said:

Our best performances of late..3nil at Leicester and Juve 4nil at home,had Chalobah Chilwell and Kante in the starting line ups....both Chilwell and Kante haven,t played since (5 games) and Chalobah only featured against Man u before being injured at Watford.

The 2nd half on Saturday was dismal compared to the 1st half,but on reflection most of there success came down our right where Dave didn,t have the pace of there lads and Reece was sitting on a yellow card (cant make a challenge). 

Rubens is not lightning when it comes to moving or passing the ball forward, so without Kante and Kovacic we are much more pedestrian cos Saul cannot be trusted in that midfield position. Alonso although always standing in acres of space and totally unmarked,is never really on as an out ball as he is only ever going to pass it back and not take on that "man"in front of him.

Got to play Ziyech a bit more but i think Tommy is looking after him as he is Pulisic.

Yes Og a decent natural LWB with pace is a must.

Still always a bright side and there is a Bright side...City have won there last 6 Epl games Liverpool won there last 5...and we are only  2 and 1 points behind.....not bad!!!

Blimey! I forgot about Emerson on loan at Lyon. Can we terminate his loan and get him back? He's playing alright apparently.

Take a draw right now if offered...looking at that make-shift midfield and the bench with 2 keepers on it. If we get 3 points from this it will be our best result of the season so far given the circumstances imho.

No need for Wolves to sit back against us tonight this will be the survival of the fittest. Coyb

14 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Take a draw right now if offered...looking at that make-shift midfield and the bench with 2 keepers on it. If we get 3 points from this it will be our best result of the season so far given the circumstances imho.

No need for Wolves to sit back against us tonight this will be the survival of the fittest. Coyb

As far as we are concerned, that first half was a non event but, that second half was easily the best football we've played since the Juventus game. Quick, incisive passing coinciding with Saul coming on (are we seeing his true form at last?) and Kovacic adding energy and commitment. With Kante looking like his old self, there was only going to be one winner at the death. A pity that we didn't show more composure in front of goal, but encouraging signs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldgit said:

As far as we are concerned, that first half was a non event but, that second half was easily the best football we've played since the Juventus game. Quick, incisive passing coinciding with Saul coming on (are we seeing his true form at last?) and Kovacic adding energy and commitment. With Kante looking like his old self, there was only going to be one winner at the death. A pity that we didn't show more composure in front of goal, but encouraging signs.

Bang on Og...a super second half only gonna be one winner. Saul by far his best performance,looked very comfortable...good to see. Definitely back on track with performance....????????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Bang on Og...a super second half only gonna be one winner. Saul by far his best performance,looked very comfortable...good to see. Definitely back on track with performance....????????

Hard to see peering through the fog, but didn't Azpilicueta and Reece switch roles, with Reece in the back three? I thought he had a disappointing first half, not tracking back enough. Maybe T

Just now, oldgit said:

Hard to see peering through the fog, but didn't Azpilicueta and Reece switch roles, with Reece in the back three? I thought he had a disappointing first half, not tracking back enough. Maybe T

To proceed!....Maybe Thomas thought that Azpilicueta would bring more energy to the attack. 

1 hour ago, oldgit said:

Yeah they did swap roles....i am again going to make an excuse for Reece (he was poor though) and say that a yellow card for him last night would have meant a suspension and ruled him out of the Villa game..so to me he played as if the sword of Damocles was hanging over his head.

• Like 1

A very good game and a great performance by the lads...(well worth watching again). The 3 under 23 lads did themselves proud a big up to them and Tommy for playing them. Motm for me is a head scratcher,Kovacic was excellent for the 45 mins he played Kante brilliant for the 14 mins he played (no way out for Brentford when he came on),Kepa was solid, so too Dave and Chalobah and Sarr Alonso too, could not fault him, but my vote goes to Saul (he could have played in his slippers) left foot right foot both comfortable and always seemed to make the right decisions,from the very indifferent start to his loan spell with us and preceding games he has come a very long way in his last 2 performances....well done mate.

Now i have got to get inside Eddie Howes head and make him buy Barkley in January..........pleaseeeeeeeeee.

• Like 1

Definite improvement over the last 3 games,and better and more clinical finishing would have had us beating both Everton and Wolves.and putting at least 5 past Villa last night. Still it is what it is,let us hope that COVID related stuff stays away from everyone as we have a massive January ahead of us.

• Like 2

This Lukaku rant is getting beyond a joke. What possessed him to give an interview with Sky of all people? It was given a month ago and it's only now, coincidently just before the Liverpool game, that all the tabloids are reporting it! Now The Sun are saying that he's told a former team mate not to sign for us! Ordinarily, I wouldn't believe that rag even if they told me the sun was setting. 

• Like 1