The Official Chelsea FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Southampton deserved there 3 points and there groundsman deserves any bonus that might come his way for preparing a pitch like that. (shocking imho)

Too many tired legs out there,but you have to take into account the effort some of the lads put in on Saturday. Tommy obviously does not trust Pulisic enough to start him and sometimes you can see why.(takes too long on the ball and is easily shrugged off). Broja is only just coming back from injury so didn,t start him but i fully expect him to start on Sunday.

Losing 2 games early doors ain,t no big deal to me and with James Kante and Fofana to come in and a fully fit Kova...lots to look forward too.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, keithsimmonds said:

You were right about there pace for sure.

Which is why  Kante and Kovacic are vital in a crowded and frantic midfield. They have that bit of class and pace above the rest, to find that extra yard and get their passes away. We need more of the same, not pedestrians who get crowded out before they have time to blink.

Nice transfer window for us i think...like the parting of Alonso and would not have been disappointed to see Jorginho go either (but nobody wanted him).

Would like to see Broja and Pulisic start tomorrow.

Early days and settling in and all that but....2 or 3 goals and a clean sheet would be a massive positive for us....here,s hoping.

12 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Nice transfer window for us i think...like the parting of Alonso and would not have been disappointed to see Jorginho go either (but nobody wanted him).

Would like to see Broja and Pulisic start tomorrow.

Early days and settling in and all that but....2 or 3 goals and a clean sheet would be a massive positive for us....here,s hoping.

Yes Keith, considering the upheaval within the club and important people like Petr Cech leaving, I think Todd Boehly and his team have done a great job in bringing in, on the face of it, very good players to the squad while getting rid of loads of fringe players that contributed little. The emphasis was definitely on pace which we badly needed in the team.

I'm looking forward to seeing young Chukwuemeka play, as he impressed me at Villa. Aubameyang and Tuchel obviously get on so, here's hoping he can replicate his goalscoring record at Dortmund. I see the 'wunderkid' Cesare Casadei, got sent off in his first game for the development team against Sutton! Thomas has still seen it fit though, to put him in the first team squad. I agree about Broja. He must start in place of Havertz who is totally out of sorts at the moment. Now that Aubameyang is here, I think Tuchel will drop him back to his best position in midfield, where he can run on to the ball.

3 hours ago, oldgit said:

Yes Keith, considering the upheaval within the club and important people like Petr Cech leaving, I think Todd Boehly and his team have done a great job in bringing in, on the face of it, very good players to the squad while getting rid of loads of fringe players that contributed little. The emphasis was definitely on pace which we badly needed in the team.

I'm looking forward to seeing young Chukwuemeka play, as he impressed me at Villa. Aubameyang and Tuchel obviously get on so, here's hoping he can replicate his goalscoring record at Dortmund. I see the 'wunderkid' Cesare Casadei, got sent off in his first game for the development team against Sutton! Thomas has still seen it fit though, to put him in the first team squad. I agree about Broja. He must start in place of Havertz who is totally out of sorts at the moment. Now that Aubameyang is here, I think Tuchel will drop him back to his best position in midfield, where he can run on to the ball.

I saw Chukwuemeka (chewi) in the 3-0 drubbing at home to Fulham Chilwell Chalobah and Ampadu also played in that game..not pretty and chewi,s sloppy passing gifted them one of there goals,but that was his first outing for us,how many games Tommy will give him...not sure.

Now imo the pressure is off Conor with the Transfer window closed,we will see the best of him.

Denis Zakaria or Den to his mates...boy does he cover the ground,longest legs i have ever seen (bar the massage girl down Pattaya Klang) I watched a few ytube clips of him and he is Rudiger with his crazy forward runs...worth a look Og.

20 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

I saw Chukwuemeka (chewi) in the 3-0 drubbing at home to Fulham Chilwell Chalobah and Ampadu also played in that game..not pretty and chewi,s sloppy passing gifted them one of there goals,but that was his first outing for us,how many games Tommy will give him...not sure.

Now imo the pressure is off Conor with the Transfer window closed,we will see the best of him.

Denis Zakaria or Den to his mates...boy does he cover the ground,longest legs i have ever seen (bar the massage girl down Pattaya Klang) I watched a few ytube clips of him and he is Rudiger with his crazy forward runs...worth a look Og.

I would look world class on Youtube Keith! Joking aside, I like the way he stays on his feet unless it's absolutely necessary to slide in. Quick as well.

Regarding yesterday, dull as dishwater in the first half. Lazy, safety first football with nobody, other than Sterling, wanting to take the bull by the horns and get at them. Loftus -Cheek was strangely hesitant in taking people on but he wasn't the only one. The second half, the game opened up with yer 'Ammers taking a few chances which left a bit more space for us. Diabolical and naive defending for their goal that wasn't and very fortunate for us that VAR spotted Bowen leaving his foot in Mendy's chest. We've got to regroup much better when defending a lead. It's happening too often now. A terrific goal by Havertz which will do bundles for his confidence.

49 minutes ago, oldgit said:

I would look world class on Youtube Keith! Joking aside, I like the way he stays on his feet unless it's absolutely necessary to slide in. Quick as well.

Regarding yesterday, dull as dishwater in the first half. Lazy, safety first football with nobody, other than Sterling, wanting to take the bull by the horns and get at them. Loftus -Cheek was strangely hesitant in taking people on but he wasn't the only one. The second half, the game opened up with yer 'Ammers taking a few chances which left a bit more space for us. Diabolical and naive defending for their goal that wasn't and very fortunate for us that VAR spotted Bowen leaving his foot in Mendy's chest. We've got to regroup much better when defending a lead. It's happening too often now. A terrific goal by Havertz which will do bundles for his confidence.

Defending from set pieces is a concern,Mendy gets crowded out by his own players and the oppo,s....and even if we win the 1st ball they are nearly always gonna win the second.

Pulisic done sweet fa the whole game and will be looking for a move come January imho lucky for him his WC place is safe.

Broja looked a nuisance when he came on and that should get him more time on the pitch. Yeah great goal by Havertz and a very well fought for goal by Chilwell.

3 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Defending from set pieces is a concern,Mendy gets crowded out by his own players and the oppo,s....and even if we win the 1st ball they are nearly always gonna win the second.

Pulisic done sweet fa the whole game and will be looking for a move come January imho lucky for him his WC place is safe.

Broja looked a nuisance when he came on and that should get him more time on the pitch. Yeah great goal by Havertz and a very well fought for goal by Chilwell.

Usual story on corners again. We get dozens and never look like we will take advantage. Change the angle of delivery by playing it short or wide. C'mon Thomas, sort it out because everybody including the kit man, have had a go at the direct approach. Meanwhile, on their second corner, there's havoc and they score. It must be that our players are not brave enough to mix it in the six yard box.

Another packed defence to overcome and another turgid display of keep ball. When you're in this situation, you've got to release the ball quickly, get it out of your feet and unsettle defenders. Then you've got to give it to the players who can take people on, and have the ability to ghost past defenders. Sterling is one of those but he had a poor night. James is another who can do this but was hesitant for some reason, continually recycling the ball back to the centre backs. Then there's Mount but he had a game where nothing went right for him.

Next up is Fulham and the question is, will they pack their defence? I don't think they will. They're at home in a tight ground so I can see this being an open game with some crunching tackles! We've just got to match and better they're work rate. 

4 hours ago, oldgit said:

Another packed defence to overcome and another turgid display of keep ball. When you're in this situation, you've got to release the ball quickly, get it out of your feet and unsettle defenders. Then you've got to give it to the players who can take people on, and have the ability to ghost past defenders. Sterling is one of those but he had a poor night. James is another who can do this but was hesitant for some reason, continually recycling the ball back to the centre backs. Then there's Mount but he had a game where nothing went right for him.

Next up is Fulham and the question is, will they pack their defence? I don't think they will. They're at home in a tight ground so I can see this being an open game with some crunching tackles! We've just got to match and better they're work rate. 

Tommy cant please everyone and playing Auba last night probably was,nt the thing to do and playing Mount out of position was another mistake. Come January and if Tommy is still here i expect both Ziyech and Pulisic gone and a sustained effort to sign Rice.

Right now he has 3 days to prepare and pick the right team for Fulham..a loss against them and the Tommy will be in real trouble.

32 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

Tommy cant please everyone and playing Auba last night probably was,nt the thing to do and playing Mount out of position was another mistake. Come January and if Tommy is still here i expect both Ziyech and Pulisic gone and a sustained effort to sign Rice.

Right now he has 3 days to prepare and pick the right team for Fulham..a loss against them and the Tommy will be in real trouble.

That didn't take long then!

Tuchel gone. The players available and the playing shape look awkward to me.  The results have not been good. I also think the club overpaid on some of the new signings.  62 for Cucurella (one goal and two assists in the EPL) / 75 for Fofana (coming off a major injury) / selling Gilmour for 9 / transfer paying for 33 y.o. Auba. I can't really figure out what the plan was.

I've just read that Tuchel would have gone irrespective of the result in Zagreb. Things must have really unravelled in the last few days or maybe even well before that There is no doubt that the football we have been playing has been desperate since the Spurs game, when we conceded a late equaliser,

Anyway, it looks like Graham Potter is the man Todd Boehly wants. I love the quote Potter made, when a reporter asked him if he was ambitious...." Well, I'm never going to be sexy manager with name like Potter and, even more so, with Graham as my first name." He strikes me as a thoroughly approachable, down to earth bloke who players can relate too. Not the explosive, living on the edge type like Thomas. How he will handle the egos in the dressing room will be down to Boehly more than Potter himself. If I was Todd I would be telling them, this is my club, he is my choice and he's here for the long term vision that we have and if you don't like it, tough s@#t.

19 hours ago, swerve said:

Tuchel gone. The players available and the playing shape look awkward to me.  The results have not been good. I also think the club overpaid on some of the new signings.  62 for Cucurella (one goal and two assists in the EPL) / 75 for Fofana (coming off a major injury) / selling Gilmour for 9 / transfer paying for 33 y.o. Auba. I can't really figure out what the plan was.

Chelsea have paid over the odds for nearly every signing ever since Roman rocked up....nothings changed ..it,s in the name.

2 hours ago, oldgit said:

I've just read that Tuchel would have gone irrespective of the result in Zagreb. Things must have really unravelled in the last few days or maybe even well before that There is no doubt that the football we have been playing has been desperate since the Spurs game, when we conceded a late equaliser,

Anyway, it looks like Graham Potter is the man Todd Boehly wants. I love the quote Potter made, when a reporter asked him if he was ambitious...." Well, I'm never going to be sexy manager with name like Potter and, even more so, with Graham as my first name." He strikes me as a thoroughly approachable, down to earth bloke who players can relate too. Not the explosive, living on the edge type like Thomas. How he will handle the egos in the dressing room will be down to Boehly more than Potter himself. If I was Todd I would be telling them, this is my club, he is my choice and he's here for the long term vision that we have and if you don't like it, tough s@#t.

Player power again rears it,s ugly head, imo easier to replace one man than half a dozen. Pulisic would be top of my list for whinging in his fellow countryman,s ear.

Still he,s gone happened before and will happen again.

4 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Chelsea have paid over the odds for nearly every signing ever since Roman rocked up....nothings changed ..it,s in the name.

City asks Brighton about a transfer for Cucurella and offers 30 million.  Brighton says no way, we want 50.  City says sorry can't do.  And then Chelsea pays 62 plus a cut rate deal on Gilmour and a year loan of Colwill.  It's like there is different prices for different teams.  Chelsea and M United get to pay the most.

40 minutes ago, swerve said:

City asks Brighton about a transfer for Cucurella and offers 30 million.  Brighton says no way, we want 50.  City says sorry can't do.  And then Chelsea pays 62 plus a cut rate deal on Gilmour and a year loan of Colwill.  It's like there is different prices for different teams.  Chelsea and M United get to pay the most.

They get to pay the most because they're willing to pay the most.

7 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Player power again rears it,s ugly head, imo easier to replace one man than half a dozen. Pulisic would be top of my list for whinging in his fellow countryman,s ear.

Still he,s gone happened before and will happen again.

Yeah, players and personnel come and go but the club still continues on its relentless pursuit for silverware, which is why you will never get me wringing my hands in anguish over someone leaving. Chelsea the club matters to me, not some well paid individual who's on his or her way out.

Archived