The Official Chelsea FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

22 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Nice post Og you got more patience than i have. Midnight i was fairly happy and could see us winning by the 3 to 4 goal margin i predicted,but then they scored and we just fell off a cliff...abysmal.

Looking at "Beatrix and James Corden" both were dumbfounded/bewildered as to what to do next. Yes the introduction of Kovacic Gallagher and Ziyech did force us to play more aggressive but it was too little too late.

Are we going to play on the front against City or are we going to sit deep?

Sterling will probably start as i cant see Beatrix dropping him but Pulisic wont be starting imho and does not deserve too.

Play as we always do when we beat them Keith. Frustrate the <deleted> out of 'em and do them on the counter. Sterling doesn't deserve to start but probably will, because Beatrix will hope that, against his old team, he will want to prove a point. If he's not showing up after 20 minutes, I would drag him off to make MY statement that 'no slackers allowed here'. I would definitely start Kova, Gallagher and Ziyech because they showed the energy and pace that we will definitely need. My opinion on Pulisic is, he's working harder but gets clattered a lot because he can't sprint away from defenders like he used to. I'd still have him in front of Sterling though, which isn't saying much I know!

That overall was much much better. Don,t know wthef Kepa was doing for there goal...lost his bearings/Marbles. Cucurella was isolated all game and i think he done okay considering. Best thing to happen imo......was injuries to both Pulisic and Sterling..i know not nice to say that, but Potter as i thought would not drop either one of them and should have imo.

Kovacic apart from one clumsy pass was excellent so too Dennis plus Thiago ...Aubameyang is finished was finished should be finished (well for us anyway).

Youth team out for Sundays cup game,with a sprinkling of seasoned pros ...hope so.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

That overall was much much better. Don,t know wthef Kepa was doing for there goal...lost his bearings/Marbles. Cucurella was isolated all game and i think he done okay considering. Best thing to happen imo......was injuries to both Pulisic and Sterling..i know not nice to say that, but Potter as i thought would not drop either one of them and should have imo.

Kovacic apart from one clumsy pass was excellent so too Dennis plus Thiago ...Aubameyang is finished was finished should be finished (well for us anyway).

Youth team out for Sundays cup game,with a sprinkling of seasoned pros ...hope so.

Nice one City!

1 hour ago, keithsimmonds said:

I agree Keith. They are a well oiled machine in years of making while we were, until it was completely dismantled by two of our best defenders, Rudiger and Christensen, deciding to leave us in the lurch and seeking the glamour and Abramovich being forced out by outside influences.

I didn't see the first half, but I was delighted to see that Thiago kept that preening show off in his place. As you say, Dennis Z and Kova were excellent while Chukwuemeka did some nice surging runs. Gallagher came on and was demented, putting his foot in and making some surging runs.

Kovacic Jorginho Mount Gallagher ziyech Havertz... Thanks for nothing.. Cos that,s  collectively what you did..... Nothing....the back 4 get a pass.. Kepa a very iffy performance.(1st half).

Got to play better than that against Fulham and Palace... Hopefully Thiago will be back for both?

I missed the first half but, what I saw in the second half convinced me that we are on our way back. Some of our football was easily the best we've played for ages. Quick, incisive passing in midfield and attack against a Fulham side who thrive on the same and are in the form of their lives. Before his red card, Joao Felix showed what a talent he is, pulling defenders around and linking up well with Mount, Kova, Havertz and Hall. Their winner was avoidable. No denying the quality of the cross but we had enough time to organise ourselves to prevent it.

• Thumbs Up 1

A better performance for 65 minutes then poor decisions from players and Potter let Palace back into the game and they might consider themselves hard done by.

Questions to be asked.. Why play chuki that far forward.. Why wasn't Mount subbed off, same goes for Connor who had a great game but was physically exhausted. Bads had a good debut imho.

Good to get the 3 points... And nice to have no midweek game ????

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

A better performance for 65 minutes then poor decisions from players and Potter let Palace back into the game and they might consider themselves hard done by.

Questions to be asked.. Why play chuki that far forward.. Why wasn't Mount subbed off, same goes for Connor who had a great game but was physically exhausted. Bads had a good debut imho.

Good to get the 3 points... And nice to have no midweek game ????

Yeah, Chuka needs to be in the midfield engine room, driving forward and using his pace, similar to Dennis Z. Agree about Mount Keith, a peripheral figure throughout. My joint Man of the Match award goes to Thiago and Gallagher. A very decent debut by Badiashile who looks a good signing. A bit more physicality from him though. Ziyech had one of his better games because his attitude to the cause was positive. We were well on top for the majority of the game, playing good football but, when we scored, panic set in and it was hump it anywhere. Chalobah seemed much more comfortable at right back in a back four. Did I see Aubameyang break out into a sweat at last?

• Thumbs Up 1

Should be winning this quite comfortably... annoying that we ain't.

Hall has to step it up a bit, too slow and predictable like Jorghino. Havertz is working his socks off and covers an immense amount of ground.. Pity thats it's only him doing it.

Robertson should have been carded for his challenge on Gallagher. Got to win this. Coyb.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Should be winning this quite comfortably... annoying that we ain't.

Hall has to step it up a bit, too slow and predictable like Jorghino. Havertz is working his socks off and covers an immense amount of ground.. Pity thats it's only him doing it.

Robertson should have been carded for his challenge on Gallagher. Got to win this. Coyb.

Agree we should have won this Keith. Defensively we were impeccable. Thiago and Badiashile are forming a formidable centre back partnership, Chalobah was solid at right back and Cucerella handled Salah pretty well.

The midfield was nowhere near as good. Hall looked out of his depth, lazy in possession and wasteful in his passing. He's young and will learn from this. Gallagher worked hard but isn't the same player when he's asked to play further forward, Ziyech has a much better attitude when he starts a game and did well but the shining light for me was Mudryk. His searing pace and trickery is what we desperately need because we've got too many tortoises in the squad.

Nobody can accuse Todd Boehly and his team of letting the grass grow under his feet in this transfer window. Apparently, we're still applying by and within FFP rules, even with the bundles that's been spent . When we get all the injuries out of the way, we will have one hell of a squad but, it's far too large and there will be some who are surplus to requirements and will need to be moved on quickly, because they'll have no chance of getting into the starting line up and bench when everyone is fit.

5 hours ago, oldgit said:

Nobody can accuse Todd Boehly and his team of letting the grass grow under his feet in this transfer window. Apparently, we're still applying by and within FFP rules, even with the bundles that's been spent . 

Think I read / heard somewhere that's the reason you are giving 8 year contracts as it allows you to spread the cost over a longer period.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 11:07 AM, oldgit said:

Agree we should have won this Keith. Defensively we were impeccable. Thiago and Badiashile are forming a formidable centre back partnership, Chalobah was solid at right back and Cucerella handled Salah pretty well.

The midfield was nowhere near as good. Hall looked out of his depth, lazy in possession and wasteful in his passing. He's young and will learn from this. Gallagher worked hard but isn't the same player when he's asked to play further forward, Ziyech has a much better attitude when he starts a game and did well but the shining light for me was Mudryk. His searing pace and trickery is what we desperately need because we've got too many tortoises in the squad.

Nobody can accuse Todd Boehly and his team of letting the grass grow under his feet in this transfer window. Apparently, we're still applying by and within FFP rules, even with the bundles that's been spent . When we get all the injuries out of the way, we will have one hell of a squad but, it's far too large and there will be some who are surplus to requirements and will need to be moved on quickly, because they'll have no chance of getting into the starting line up and bench when everyone is fit.

Cucurella had a fine game,bloke comes in for a fair amount of stick due to his price tag but that aint his fault. Mount needs a rest, he,s been on the periphery of things for a while now.

Should have most players back from injury by the time the Fulham game comes around but more importantly..... the Dortmund game on Feb 15.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that was an eventful transfer window! Beatrix has an embarrassment of riches now, talent from defence right through to attack. Now all he's got to do is make it work! It will be fascinating to see the starting line up he puts out against our near neighbours.

4 minutes ago, oldgit said:

Well, that was an eventful transfer window! Beatrix has an embarrassment of riches now, talent from defence right through to attack. Now all he's got to do is make it work! It will be fascinating to see the starting line up he puts out against our near neighbours.

Yep will certainly be interesting. Full steam ahead for a top 4 place or the consolation of winning that Big Eared Trophy ...Again:unsure:

1st priority is to establish a fully committed "Penalty taker" Not Mount or Conor...maybe Reece?

6 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

:coffee1:

Yeah as i was saying ..we need a new "Penalty Taker"

Tough one that Keith. I can see us playing a 3 -4- 3 formation tomorrow with Reece on the right side midfield so, if we get a penalty, it would be out of him or Mr. Unflappable himself, Thiago for me. Not a lot of flakiness between them two, is there? 

• Thumbs Up 1