Pigs 101 (A Start): The Official Pig Farming Thread

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/11/2019 at 12:52 PM, sateuk said:

Hi all got  pigs ready to sell been offered 66 baht a kg is that  ok now or to low? Thanks in advance

Sorry but if your that naive as to not know the pig pricing game, well your going to be a looser in the scheme was it your G/F wife the brain child of this venture ?? 

• Sad 2

I am not current with the prices but experienced enough to know that 66 baht should be above the cost of production and therefore represent a profit. If you have pigs to sell, and the price offered is higher than cost, then sell now. Holding market pigs past 100Kg makes little sense.

The only thing I can add is a conversation I had with a friend. He said there appears to be a shortage of piglets which usually means prices will stay higher. 

• Like 2

I think it's funny when farangs without farming/animals background start with something like that in Thailand.

How do you think you can be possibly competitive to Thais who do this since forever?

And when do you think you make a profit? If you can sell the pigs for more than the cost of the food?

Or do you calculate also all the time you spend with this business? Do you make more than 100B per hour?

40 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think it's funny when farangs without farming/animals background start with something like that in Thailand.

How do you think you can be possibly competitive to Thais who do this since forever?

And when do you think you make a profit? If you can sell the pigs for more than the cost of the food?

Or do you calculate also all the time you spend with this business? Do you make more than 100B per hour?

You can make money but it hard work with all the fluctuating prices

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 1:52 PM, sateuk said:

Hi all got  pigs ready to sell been offered 66 baht a kg is that  ok now or to low? Thanks in advance

Locally live weight price is 65 baht. A little further away the price is above 75 baht. Seems about right then. Piglets going for 1600 baht.

Edited by IsaanAussie

Those of us that have been involved or just followed pig farming here in Thailand understand the cyclic nature of prices here. It appears that now the live weight price for market size pigs is "good", time to sell. From my narrow corner the weaned piglet price at 1,600 baht is also reasonable and there seems to be a shortage of piglets.

I would be interested in hearing the forward views of anyone still active at some sort of scale. Where do you see the future for breeding, grow out, and farrow to finish farming?

14 hours ago, jompa67 said:

At the moment we have no problem to sell piglets at 300 bath over announce price. Even customers that only want to buy 8 - 10 kg piglets agree to buy the piglets at 22 - 25 kg. The shortage must be huge now and will probably continue in some form for the rest of the year.

We expect 5 good year now. The only thing that scares me is ASF. At the moment we are restocking sows for a production size of 250 - 300 productive sow during this year.

Thous who say there is no money for farang doing business in Thailand, are probably those that have try make money and fail hard. Running a big business is not for everyone.

Would be nice if it stay good for 5 years , we only have 20 sows so small fry compared to you but can still make good money if prices stay like they are

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2019 at 10:26 PM, jompa67 said:

At the moment we have no problem to sell piglets at 300 bath over announce price. Even customers that only want to buy 8 - 10 kg piglets agree to buy the piglets at 22 - 25 kg. The shortage must be huge now and will probably continue in some form for the rest of the year.

We expect 5 good year now. The only thing that scares me is ASF. At the moment we are restocking sows for a production size of 250 - 300 productive sow during this year.

Thous who say there is no money for farang doing business in Thailand, are probably those that have try make money and fail hard. Running a big business is not for everyone.

Jompa, your production plans are huge by my standards, like Sateuk my operation only got to 16 to 20 sows. I wish you well with that. Hopefully everyone will avoid the current swine fever threat.

• 2 weeks later...

Advice please got a gilt had a litter of 9 big babies she let them drink for the ist couple of hours after born. Now though she is aggressive biting them and wont lay down. I try putting 1 in at a time she still gets up straight away  acting aggressive never had this before where 1st couple of hours ok then turns nasty any suggestions please

Have you got a surrogate sow you could put them on? Wean another litter a day or two early.

Have you got any milk replacer ready to go?

Did the gilt clear the full litter and afterbirth? Is there one stuck inside?

Temperature. She may be heat stressed. Have you tried to cool her down? Hose and fans.

Get you get a vet to attend?

Good luck this is the worst thing that can happen. You feel so totally helpless. 

Nothing stuck inside all clear, we have been getting in pen and holding a couple of piglets at a time to feed if we let them walk about as soon as near her head she bites , at least she allows us in pen and lets pigs feed im hoping by tomorrow she will be ok. If not actually got a sow and another gilt being born tonight so can foster hopefully if she wont let them drink without our help. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sateuk said:

Advice please got a gilt had a litter of 9 big babies she let them drink for the ist couple of hours after born. Now though she is aggressive biting them and wont lay down. I try putting 1 in at a time she still gets up straight away  acting aggressive never had this before where 1st couple of hours ok then turns nasty any suggestions please

the piglets will need to drink the 1st/2nd stage of the milk to grow/be strong ect...

try an inject 1cc (small gilt/sow) of combistress, this will take the edge off she/calm her/relax ect. she is stressed because of the birthing process. also try and gve her 2day/2morrow 10cc of anaigin to help with the pain/high temp ofter the birth...

if she is in a create/pen area try and lift she on her side and restrain her (ie tie her up for 12/24 hour) after this time she will be more relaxed and will let the piglets drink.  if the piglets can not get to her first 2 stage of milk they will die or be no good....

the wife has 10/15 gilts birthing every month at least 1 will show the traits you mention, they tend to carry these traits throught till p3, after thisi f they continue this way they will be culled.

have one p3 sow birth today the way you decribe, this is the 3rd such birth the same from she, 1cc of combistress and 1 hour later she is onshe side relaxed, would have culled her before but each birth she births alive 17/18 so will try with she one more time......

with the comistress dont give tooooo much cc, gilt/sow around 200kg 1cc will take the edge off them, 250/300kg try 1.5/2cc more than this will stop them drinking eating 100 percent for afew days and the then the same proplem, low of little milk to drink.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thoongfoned said:

the piglets will need to drink the 1st/2nd stage of the milk to grow/be strong ect...

try an inject 1cc (small gilt/sow) of combistress, this will take the edge off she/calm her/relax ect. she is stressed because of the birthing process. also try and gve her 2day/2morrow 10cc of anaigin to help with the pain/high temp ofter the birth...

if she is in a create/pen area try and lift she on her side and restrain her (ie tie her up for 12/24 hour) after this time she will be more relaxed and will let the piglets drink.  if the piglets can not get to her first 2 stage of milk they will die or be no good....

the wife has 10/15 gilts birthing every month at least 1 will show the traits you mention, they tend to carry these traits throught till p3, after thisi f they continue this way they will be culled.

have one p3 sow birth today the way you decribe, this is the 3rd such birth the same from she, 1cc of combistress and 1 hour later she is onshe side relaxed, would have culled her before but each birth she births alive 17/18 so will try with she one more time......

with the comistress dont give tooooo much cc, gilt/sow around 200kg 1cc will take the edge off them, 250/300kg try 1.5/2cc more than this will stop them drinking eating 100 percent for afew days and the then the same proplem, low of little milk to drink.

Thanks will go buy some tomorrow hopefully it will work

when the piglets are born, how early do you cut the teeth? why i ask, some mums can be very sensitive, ie piglets biting when drinking the milk....

you also said the piglets were big, so 2 plus kg each? this could have made the labor more difficult, longer time between piglets born? into a long a labor? then this could also have made she stressed/angry... if you see large kg birth piglets coming from gilts it might be good to look at the feed amounts you give during gestation.

just my thoughts...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, thoongfoned said:

when the piglets are born, how early do you cut the teeth? why i ask, some mums can be very sensitive, ie piglets biting when drinking the milk....

you also said the piglets were big, so 2 plus kg each? this could have made the labor more difficult, longer time between piglets born? into a long a labor? then this could also have made she stressed/angry... if you see large kg birth piglets coming from gilts it might be good to look at the feed amounts you give during gestation.

just my thoughts...

Thanks they were big for a gilt. Shes letting me put the babies on her to feed now but i have to be quick to not let them near her mouth or she snaps at them ,  at least not as agressive as yesterday when she would get up and chase and try bite them, so hopefully another day or 2 she will be ok

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Guys

I new in this community and I has a pig farm in Laos. I try to find out how to import animal feed from manufacturers like Khrungthai company to Laos. The phone number which I found on the internet seems to be wrong. An email address I couldn't find. Could someone help me to get more information?

Thanks a lot