Pigs 101 (A Start): The Official Pig Farming Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Had a government worker come round asking for wife's ID card so they could get all details then he was asking how many pigs we got what size are they etc he was going around everyones house that had pigs anyone else had this?  Also this morning rang our pig guy who we sell to and they said price down 3 baht as everyone wants there pigs out even at 60 70 kgs so the market flooded this is buriram area 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IsaanAussie said:

Hopefully it is only a planning step in case of an ASF outbreak? A census to let the govt. know where the pigs are and the numbers. 

Yes that is what they said just checking how many pigs in villages they said they will be back but don't no when I assume next time they will bring a vet to inspect 

5 hours ago, sateuk said:

Had a government worker come round asking for wife's ID card so they could get all details then he was asking how many pigs we got what size are they etc he was going around everyones house that had pigs anyone else had this?  Also this morning rang our pig guy who we sell to and they said price down 3 baht as everyone wants there pigs out even at 60 70 kgs so the market flooded this is buriram area 

around us people that look after more than afew pigs have to be ok'ed/registered with the local government office, this then goes to the amper level that try and keep an eye of amount of animals plus any movement of animals..... try

if they measured the area of the farm then you should get a bill each year from local govenment office, around feb time.  wife pays every year,  bill for  covered farm (17/70m)area is around 3/4,000 baht then there is the environmet tax they put on, it all comes to just under 10,000 baht a year all in, with this we get the "licence" from local office to operate plus 2 certificate that are needed for another bit government stuff later in the year, they come and check, when and if they inspect farm for tax payment. (wife now goes to the local tax office a couple of times ayear.... gotta love the tax and vat.....

from what i have been told,from amper level meetings, the govenment is try to get the local "slaughter houses" / drive by/ wholesale buyers to pay tax.... by getting everyone who keeps pigs registered... have a look on facebook people have been moaning for some time now

• Thanks 1

From my understanding there is two groups of raiser in Thailand at the moment. One that think ASF will hit us very hard and therefor selling out and stop farming. And another that don't think it will be a problem and sees an opportunity to make a good piece of money when the price raise again.

1 hour ago, jompa67 said:

From my understanding there is two groups of raiser in Thailand at the moment. One that think ASF will hit us very hard and therefor selling out and stop farming. And another that don't think it will be a problem and sees an opportunity to make a good piece of money when the price raise again.

I think it's who is prepared to gamble if you are and you stay safe then you could make big money for a year or 2 while the others who didn't gamble catch up with there stock.  I'm going gamble worse case scenario for me is head back to UK for 3 months at a time for a year or 2.  Our guy we buy feed from said to us if it hits here he is going into goat farming as can sell the meat and milk but I don't no much about that,  I just hope everyone here is ok

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I was wondering if there is anywhere I can check slaughter pig prices in Thailand?  I'm from the US, and live pig prices are reported every day.  Is there anything like that for Thailand?  Or maybe even just a weekly report?

I found this, is piglet pricing the best I'm going to be able to come up with?

image.png.0243363716fc24e2cf1c12ef69610d5e.png

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by ktotheb
Added image

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Have you guys any information regarding pig market and special piglets. Piglets prices is down to 1400. For me it is so strange. We use to have problem to find customer but the last two months, we got so many new requests. Not so much from villages farmers. Mostly 40 and up to 1800 piglets. Last week we sold 160 piglets to rayon, like 400 km away. They all talk about how hard it is to find piglets now when many farms closed down there business.

4 hours ago, jompa67 said:

Hi,

Have you guys any information regarding pig market and special piglets. Piglets prices is down to 1400. For me it is so strange. We use to have problem to find customer but the last two months, we got so many new requests. Not so much from villages farmers. Mostly 40 and up to 1800 piglets. Last week we sold 160 piglets to rayon, like 400 km away. They all talk about how hard it is to find piglets now when many farms closed down there business.

In buriram it's 60 baht a kg but our guy we sell to says it's going to go down and down till November as all the big pig farms here have flooded the market over the ASF scare, piglets 1400 here as well I'm just hoping it stays above 54 but I doubt it if it goes low piglets will be 1000 to 1200 here

Seasonal price drops were always a consideration. Here farmers are busy fertilising rice and the annual wild fish population is skyrocketing in the ponds and channels. Money is tight plus a lot of free protein. 

Of course the market is always effected by the fortunes of CPF. They are huge in both Vietnam and China in both feed, live pigs and pork products. They are getting clobbered in both markets and this will be forcing down prices to protect value added product profits here as well. Public opinion on pork must be suffering as a result of ASF. 

In my opinion ASF is a ticking time bomb here that must be defended against, but it not the only cause for the price drop. Like every other agricultural product here that jumps up in price quickly, suddenly every farm wants in and oversupply happens within a season. To me nothing has changed the game is a roller coaster ride.

• Like 1

Does anyone on this forum know how to locate large abattoirs for pigs near northern Bangkok? Specifically around the Talat Thai area?

I am trying to source a large number of a specific gland from the neck of pigs. These are not traditionally used as food and are not available at the market. Talking with the vendors at the market, the glands we want are removed before they receive them. So I need to find out what happens to them and if the slaughterhouse would be willing to sell them. I need to purchase a couple of kg of glands per day, but the actual size is quite small...only around 25 - 30g per pig. So this means I need several hundred pigs per day.

Is anyone familiar with this part of the industry? How can I find a local abattoir to speak with? The market vendors are unwilling to disclose where they get their product so I can follow the chain back to the source.

Thanks for any assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.pig333.com/latest_swine_news/thailand-pigs-culled-amid-african-swine-fever-fears_15323/?utm_source=newsletters333&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Swine+News&xemail=aWRtPTg5MjMmaWR1PTI4MTcyJnQ9OWVjYTUwN2ZjOGEzNTQyZDM5YWJmMTIzMWI3NzMxNTE%3D

Hopefully everyone has seen this report of 200 pigs being culled in Chiang Rai as a preventive measure. Keep an eye out for the test results from the two pigs that died and sparked this response.

All the best guys

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yesterday government vets killed my mother in laws 15 pigs. They are killing all pigs in the area, at least 200 so far.

It came to light that a farm in the village had lost over 80 pigs out of the 100 they had on a unregistered farm. They had reported the deaths in hope of getting compensation. 

The vet would not say if any pig had swine flu but said the culling was a preventative measure. The pigs were removed and disinfectant strayed. 

This was in a small village south east of Bankruat, South Buriram.

I have seen nothing reported in the news yet. My wife is going to the government office in the morning to ask about compensation and to find out if it was down to swine flu. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mick220675 said:

Yesterday government vets killed my mother in laws 15 pigs. They are killing all pigs in the area, at least 200 so far.

It came to light that a farm in the village had lost over 80 pigs out of the 100 they had on a unregistered farm. They had reported the deaths in hope of getting compensation. 

The vet would not say if any pig had swine flu but said the culling was a preventative measure. The pigs were removed and disinfectant strayed. 

This was in a small village south east of Bankruat, South Buriram.

I have seen nothing reported in the news yet. My wife is going to the government office in the morning to ask about compensation and to find out if it was down to swine flu. 

Here's hoping it isn't ASF. But it is good to see the government not taking any chances. Hopefully they can stay fully informed nationally to prevent any (more) spread.

• Like 1

A very good source out of Prakhonchai which is next door to Bankruat has informed me that a lady from his village has been hospitalized and been told she has swine flu. This same source about 7 years back, his son contacted swine flu. Being at that time Thailand did not have any medicine for it he had it sent from Dubai. I have no doubt that swine flu is in Thailand.

24 provinces monitored for Asian swine fever

By The Nation

800_49d4583952917de.jpg

The Department of Livestock Development has announced that 24 provinces of Thailand are now surveillance areas for African swine fever (ASF).

Director-General Sorawit Thaneto, said that the severe pig epidemic is continuing to spread in Asia. There is no vaccine or cure. Though the disease has never been reported in people, an outbreak is estimated to cost direct and indirect economic damage to the livestock production industry of at least Bt100 billion.

Anyone wishing to move animals or carcasses of pigs or wild boars, including semen or embryos for breeding, through an epidemic surveillance area must obtain permission from the veterinarian responsible for that area. A violation is punishable by an imprisonment of up to two years and/or a fine up to Bt40,000 under Article 65 of the Animal Epidemic Act BE 2015

Areas under surveillance are:

North: Chiang Rai, Phayao, Nan, Uttaradit, Mae Hong Son and Chiang Mai;

Northeast: Loei, Nong Khai, Bueng Kan, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Amnat Charoen, Ubon Ratchathani, Si Sa Ket, Surin and Buri Ram;

East: Sa Kaeo, Chanthaburi and Trat;

West: Ratchaburi;

South: Ranong.

As well, Three provinces are declared partial surveillance areas:

Tak (5 districts): Umphang, Mae Sot, Tha Song Yang, Mae Ramat and Phop Phra;

Phitsanulok (2 districts): Chat Trakan and Nakhon Thai;

Phetchaburi (2 districts): Nong Ya Plong and Kaeng Krachan.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376805

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-28

12 hours ago, mick220675 said:

Government vets are culling all pigs in our neighbouring villages today. The numbers must be in the hundreds now.

Wife has been told they will be paid 1000 baht/pig.

To be fair to the government they are well organised and are moving fast. 

Is that 1000 baht for a baby pig? If for a sow or a 80 + kg grower pig people will lose lots of money 

It appears the border provinces are being closely monitored with the intention of keeping it out. It must be over two weeks since the first reported deaths in ChiangRai so those test results should be available soon. 

I hope I'm wrong but I cannot see Thailand staying ASF free for long. At 1000 baht per culled pig, I can see a foot race to sell stock for anything over that amount and a lot of "illegal" pig movements. 

https://www.feedstrategy.com/african-swine-fever/cp-foods-confident-it-can-keep-asf-out-of-its-farms/?utm_source=KnowledgeMarketing&utm_medium=email&utm_content=African Swine Fever Update&utm_campaign=African Swine Fever Update 190927

Take a moment to read this, spend longer to think it through. Being entirely concentrated on the feed aspects is not surprising considering the source but for CPF to highlight this sets the bells ringing for me. How is ASF really being spread? If there is a chance it is via microbial spores in pelletised feed then God help everyone. 

I have been on the fringe of pig farming for years now, but CPF remains the largest feed producer in the world by a factor of two. If anyone knows, they do! If you where in their position and by having better information could protect your interests, would you share? Warning others would be the best I would expect.

Edited by IsaanAussie
Added comment on CP standing

13 hours ago, sateuk said:

Is that 1000 baht for a baby pig? If for a sow or a 80 + kg grower pig people will lose lots of money 

Nothing confirmed yet but the mother in law will get 1000/pig. 

The pigs killed were 3 month old and a good size. 

The family are having a bad time. Last year's sugar made very little the rice has been difficult due to the weather and now the pigs.

I will probably have to help out again.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mick220675 said:

Nothing confirmed yet but the mother in law will get 1000/pig. 

The pigs killed were 3 month old and a good size. 

The family are having a bad time. Last year's sugar made very little the rice has been difficult due to the weather and now the pigs.

I will probably have to help out again.  

That's a shame a 3 month old pig worth a lot more a 1000 baht. Yes sugar is not worth growing anymore I'm in buriram near the airport people are starting to change from growing sugar now. 

• 3 weeks later...