Pigs 101 (A Start): The Official Pig Farming Thread

Very interesting article. I am not an expert and can make no comment on the science involved but it makes sense to me. A very cloaked attack on the obvious major corporate player here at the end though. 

If I was still actively involved in the industry, I would adopt a strategy of complete isolation. Nothing comes in, anything that goes out, stays out. The only open issue would be the chance of infection via commercial pelletised feed. Considering the temperature and process, that seems unlikely.

• 4 weeks later...

As a matter of interest ball park figure if I may costs of sows ready to breed.

Asking only as I have a vested interest (very silent partner) in a pig farm run by wife's family. Just have a sneaky suspicion about one of the managers.(uncle).

Excuse my ignorance on this just trying to get a ball park figure.

Just now, fourpack said:

Asking only as I have a vested interest (very silent partner) in a pig farm run by wife's family. Just have a sneaky suspicion about one of the managers.(uncle).

Can you be more specific about the pig? Based on what you have said the price could range from 8 to 25 thousand baht maybe even more! 

50 minutes ago, fourpack said:

depending on breed, a gilt 140kg @ 250 day old, on third/fourth heat cycle from the company where the wife works (company in house sales) 18,000 baht each.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

That is not good for Thai standards, its excellent! Well done. Hope the ASF issue goes away soon, it terrifies me. My best wishes and congratulations on doing as much as you can to prevent it's spread.

the company laid out new plans for all the farrow farms around 5/6 months ago, ie holding pens for weaning culling and gilts outside farm area, this also involves new walk ways ect... plus all the extra work that goes into moving the animals now twice instead of once.... full spray systems at gate at front of land access (pulling more electric cables, water lines, new "hut" for the spray set up)  new shower block for the lorry drivers, they all have to shower in/out, change clothes, shoes ect...the bahts soon add up, construction team happy though, wife not as she sees all the money going out she pocket 5555. we have done over the norm because of the  outside feed store, (double checked and the farms of our size will not be going over to the silo feed system) so thought just build an extra feed store.... now got the great wall of isan being built around the perimeter of the land..555 looks good though. when the wife saves up we are going for a full cctv system after new year, this the wife is happy about coz it will be a new app on she phone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sateuk said:

At what age do you wean the piglets? Looking very good 

those ones in photo were yesterdays, average 19.3 days old  @ 10.75 piglets wean from each mum. i think there was 1 or 2 piglet @ 5kg most of them were around the 6kg and 27 over the 7kg going up to 8.8kg, the best we have had in the last few month have been 10.4kg range (always wean average around 19.5 days) @  that sort of weight we will not have alot, maybe 3/5 %. we get good feed back from the farms  that our piglets go to. our target is try not have piglet smaller than 5.5kg @ weaning. 

at that sort kg average/ age the growth to 100/120 kg is quick. good fcr for the next farmer...

2 hours ago, thoongfoned said:

those ones in photo were yesterdays, average 19.3 days old  @ 10.75 piglets wean from each mum. i think there was 1 or 2 piglet @ 5kg most of them were around the 6kg and 27 over the 7kg going up to 8.8kg, the best we have had in the last few month have been 10.4kg range (always wean average around 19.5 days) @  that sort of weight we will not have alot, maybe 3/5 %. we get good feed back from the farms  that our piglets go to. our target is try not have piglet smaller than 5.5kg @ weaning. 

at that sort kg average/ age the growth to 100/120 kg is quick. good fcr for the next farmer...

Good looking piglets we get to 105kg + average after 240 kgs 8 bags of feed, out of interest what does it take your pigs we use spm feed by the way thanks

Just now, sateuk said:

Good looking piglets we get to 105kg + average after 240 kgs 8 bags of feed, out of interest what does it take your pigs we use spm feed by the way thanks

Pardon the intrusion but this is interesting stuff. I usually had an FCR of 2.4 as well so I am keen to know if it has been improved using commercial grades. 

2 hours ago, sateuk said:

for sure i can not  say as i  have never "finished" one piglet....

i have been asking the company that qestion/information for years. ie how do the wifes piglets grow out....

when we "sell" a piglet out it goes with many other piglets from diffrent farms, some will be 3.5kg some 10kg some pooing ect..... from what i can understand a basic or average farm will finish 1 piglet to 7 bags of feed.... or course if you have say 700 piglet to start, all with different weight ect, but same age/gene pool it can get messyyy. ie what % die? im told 3% is good 5% ok  ect..... or how many day do you feed and at what age is the piglet weaned from the milk/mum at what kg...... plus will the finisher pig be 80kg or 120kg its endless....

so company say average piglet weight at wean 5.5kg 19 day old. then add 7 bags of feed, loss 3/5% through death/not perfect and you should average 105/110kg in 120/130 days... depending 1.70/fcr basic ishhh

at above "spec" the wife knows a fella that contols 2100/2800 finishers at a time and say under 3% death and 6 bags to average 100 ishhhh kg, i have said this before on hear and people say can not do, i agree its sounds too good. now same fella has changed company and pays unfront for piglet (28 day old average 10/12kg average) and all feed and medication/vaccine cost, he has done 2 full cycle @ 2100/2800 finishers and still says 6 bags a piglets, but now the average is 120/140kg  finisher weight from 10/12kg start @ 28 days old, that @ 120/130 days in his farm... he averages profit from 1 piglet sold back to company @ no less then 1100 baht..... he says electric one month @ 2,000 baht only, he has bio gas pits on each farm, all labor him/wife/family ect.... so thats about 1.63fcr??? possible i can not say for sure... an english guy that i know runs a finisher farm for same company as the wife, he has been "at it for afew years" says 1.60/1.70 fcr can be done most cycles 700 piglets if no major problems, this is all fully closed farm with evap and full fan extraction.....

if you get good piglets young and ready to eat, environment good mayby posible? cannot say for sure as have never done it5555 just what i hear or the wife tells me.

mid summer here when the ouside temp is 40 plus you will need evap to control temp or else the pigs will stuggle to eat/grow, just what i think..... 

10 hours ago, jompa67 said:

Larger farms use to use E-Wap as a kind of air-conditioning in the barns. That's why som farm use to report a better FCR than others.

wifes farm max sow 250 max piglets 500, at any one time, hot summer outside shade temp 42/43/44.... inside farm temp front by evap pad 27/28/29 back farm temp by fan 29/30/31.... its still hot in there, some fat sow will be panting mid afternoon, but the lactating sows will still be eating 10/12kg aday, some more. for about 7 months of the year the evap pump will never stop pumping water through the evap pad, temp set @ 25.

at the moment now its cooler, farm temp will be around 25 mid day, 5am this morning it was 15, lactating sow at the mo are eating 15kg a day, some want more, why the kg on the piglet can get to 8/9/10kg in such a short space of time is the massive amounts of feed they are eating...  

16 hours ago, sateuk said:

when the piglet is born do you weigh them? what sort of birth weight do you average? when and how do you feed  the sow, ie daily amounts. example day 1. 2kg day 2. ? and so on.....  at what age do you wean the piglet? average kg? how long does it then take to get the sow "back in pig"? what sort of body score would you give your sows?

4 hours ago, thoongfoned said:

when the piglet is born do you weigh them? what sort of birth weight do you average? when and how do you feed  the sow, ie daily amounts. example day 1. 2kg day 2. ? and so on.....  at what age do you wean the piglet? average kg? how long does it then take to get the sow "back in pig"? what sort of body score would you give your sows?

We wean at 28 day sometimes a bit earlier, feed the sow 5 or 6 kgs a day obviously thats not enough normally a week or 2 the sow back in heat again , our fcr is 2.3 would like to get it to 2.1 7 bags of feed keep the cost down at the moment its 3940 baht for 8 bags of food for avg weight 105 kg

ASF confirmed in Indonesia. Headlines read.... "ASF first occurred in the country in early September, according to a new report from the Indonesian agriculture ministry to the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE). Since that time, more than 28,000 pigs have died of the disease. Almost 1.23 million pigs in 392 backyard herds are estimated to be in the affected area."

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys,

Prices on pigs is going very well in our way this time. Does anyone have a prognoses or forecast for the future. It can't continue up forever. I have heard people talking about 90-100 bath to Song kran. I have no clue how much pigs exist in market at the moment and have no forecast either. Please share your best guess.

On 1/14/2020 at 9:00 AM, jompa67 said:

hi guys,

Prices on pigs is going very well in our way this time. Does anyone have a prognoses or forecast for the future. It can't continue up forever. I have heard people talking about 90-100 bath to Song kran. I have no clue how much pigs exist in market at the moment and have no forecast either. Please share your best guess.

66 in buriram now still 60 in and around our village

We dont raise finisher but still we have to keep some odd piglets. Last week price in PhiMai, not far away from Buriram, we got 70 bath (76 to wedding). Is Buriram in a zone where it is hard to move pigs? 60 bath is ridiculous low, now when it is so hard to find pigs.

30 minutes ago, jompa67 said:

We dont raise finisher but still we have to keep some odd piglets. Last week price in PhiMai, not far away from Buriram, we got 70 bath (76 to wedding). Is Buriram in a zone where it is hard to move pigs? 60 bath is ridiculous low, now when it is so hard to find pigs.

its 60 baht  kg for the cull sow here, has been for a long time (6 plus months)

company still expanding in our province/around us, have been asked to build another farm many times in the last 2 months.... 2 more 200 head sow farms going up now not far from us, plus loads more finisher farms...

in the market town near us the other day, feed shop i use was busy, he says very good business at the mo..

a guy the wife knows has been left with a load of reject finishers (to fat) he is having them butchered at a "proper" place and selling the meat at 100baht a kg, where he can..

price in markro is expensive from 145/150++++

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jompa67 said:

The farms In buriram are 70 baht a kg we get from our guy that supplies our pig food about 4 baht less than the farm prices in the villages its about 10 baht less than farm prices no butcher here will give you Farm prices they will just go to next person and get, only farm's get the proper price not the little guy here anyway

• 4 weeks later...

looking good......... spendin some good bahts in that set up by the looks of things....

what age/ kg (average) do they enter. age/kg (average) exit?

reason i ask is piglet from us go into next farm, cement floor only till 100kg  ish plus finish...

so 5kg  (wean) into 100kg(average finish) say 120 day. (140 ish total alive days)

They enter nursery at 5 - 8 kg (21 - 28 days) depending on how badly we need the farrowing crate.

We don't raise any piglets by our-self. All are sold. Mostly at a size of 16 - 20 kg. Some customer want 20 - 25 kg.

At 20 kg ++, its easier to discover piglets at lower quality or other defections. Many pig raiser gambling by buying them at 7 - 8 kg.

At that size, you can not see who is good and bad. They make a few hundred bath extra per piglets but they also get higher mortality rate and piglets with slow grow.

And when they discover that they did not make so much money or even worse, loose money, They start blame the farm where piglets come from.

When weaning at 7 - 8 kg:

12 kg - 42 days (+2 weeks)

16 kg - 49 days (+3 weeks)

20 kg - 56 days (+4 weeks)

25 kg - 63 days (+5 weeks)

Add another week if weaning at 5- 6 kg.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Guys, i need some information.

When pig raiser buying piglets (big farms). How many percent can they expect to die, get sick or other kind of problem so they need to be sold in advance.

I have heard of 3 - 5%.