BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

Pigs 101 (A Start): The official pig farming thread 2019

Flame/Troll post removed

Had a government worker come round asking for wife's ID card so they could get all details then he was asking how many pigs we got what size are they etc he was going around everyones house that had pigs anyone else had this?  Also this morning rang our pig guy who we sell to and they said price down 3 baht as everyone wants there pigs out even at 60 70 kgs so the market flooded this is buriram area 

• Thanks 1

Hopefully it is only a planning step in case of an ASF outbreak? A census to let the govt. know where the pigs are and the numbers. 

1 hour ago, IsaanAussie said:

Hopefully it is only a planning step in case of an ASF outbreak? A census to let the govt. know where the pigs are and the numbers. 

Yes that is what they said just checking how many pigs in villages they said they will be back but don't no when I assume next time they will bring a vet to inspect 

5 hours ago, sateuk said:

Had a government worker come round asking for wife's ID card so they could get all details then he was asking how many pigs we got what size are they etc he was going around everyones house that had pigs anyone else had this?  Also this morning rang our pig guy who we sell to and they said price down 3 baht as everyone wants there pigs out even at 60 70 kgs so the market flooded this is buriram area 

around us people that look after more than afew pigs have to be ok'ed/registered with the local government office, this then goes to the amper level that try and keep an eye of amount of animals plus any movement of animals..... try

if they measured the area of the farm then you should get a bill each year from local govenment office, around feb time.  wife pays every year,  bill for  covered farm (17/70m)area is around 3/4,000 baht then there is the environmet tax they put on, it all comes to just under 10,000 baht a year all in, with this we get the "licence" from local office to operate plus 2 certificate that are needed for another bit government stuff later in the year, they come and check, when and if they inspect farm for tax payment. (wife now goes to the local tax office a couple of times ayear.... gotta love the tax and vat.....

from what i have been told,from amper level meetings, the govenment is try to get the local "slaughter houses" / drive by/ wholesale buyers to pay tax.... by getting everyone who keeps pigs registered... have a look on facebook people have been moaning for some time now

• Thanks 1

From my understanding there is two groups of raiser in Thailand at the moment. One that think ASF will hit us very hard and therefor selling out and stop farming. And another that don't think it will be a problem and sees an opportunity to make a good piece of money when the price raise again.

1 hour ago, jompa67 said:

From my understanding there is two groups of raiser in Thailand at the moment. One that think ASF will hit us very hard and therefor selling out and stop farming. And another that don't think it will be a problem and sees an opportunity to make a good piece of money when the price raise again.

I think it's who is prepared to gamble if you are and you stay safe then you could make big money for a year or 2 while the others who didn't gamble catch up with there stock.  I'm going gamble worse case scenario for me is head back to UK for 3 months at a time for a year or 2.  Our guy we buy feed from said to us if it hits here he is going into goat farming as can sell the meat and milk but I don't no much about that,  I just hope everyone here is ok

Posted (edited)

Hello, I was wondering if there is anywhere I can check slaughter pig prices in Thailand?  I'm from the US, and live pig prices are reported every day.  Is there anything like that for Thailand?  Or maybe even just a weekly report?

I found this, is piglet pricing the best I'm going to be able to come up with?

image.png.0243363716fc24e2cf1c12ef69610d5e.png

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by ktotheb
Added image

Posted (edited)

Hi,

Have you guys any information regarding pig market and special piglets. Piglets prices is down to 1400. For me it is so strange. We use to have problem to find customer but the last two months, we got so many new requests. Not so much from villages farmers. Mostly 40 and up to 1800 piglets. Last week we sold 160 piglets to rayon, like 400 km away. They all talk about how hard it is to find piglets now when many farms closed down there business.

4 hours ago, jompa67 said:

Hi,

Have you guys any information regarding pig market and special piglets. Piglets prices is down to 1400. For me it is so strange. We use to have problem to find customer but the last two months, we got so many new requests. Not so much from villages farmers. Mostly 40 and up to 1800 piglets. Last week we sold 160 piglets to rayon, like 400 km away. They all talk about how hard it is to find piglets now when many farms closed down there business.

In buriram it's 60 baht a kg but our guy we sell to says it's going to go down and down till November as all the big pig farms here have flooded the market over the ASF scare, piglets 1400 here as well I'm just hoping it stays above 54 but I doubt it if it goes low piglets will be 1000 to 1200 here

Seasonal price drops were always a consideration. Here farmers are busy fertilising rice and the annual wild fish population is skyrocketing in the ponds and channels. Money is tight plus a lot of free protein. 

Of course the market is always effected by the fortunes of CPF. They are huge in both Vietnam and China in both feed, live pigs and pork products. They are getting clobbered in both markets and this will be forcing down prices to protect value added product profits here as well. Public opinion on pork must be suffering as a result of ASF. 

In my opinion ASF is a ticking time bomb here that must be defended against, but it not the only cause for the price drop. Like every other agricultural product here that jumps up in price quickly, suddenly every farm wants in and oversupply happens within a season. To me nothing has changed the game is a roller coaster ride.

• Like 1

Does anyone on this forum know how to locate large abattoirs for pigs near northern Bangkok? Specifically around the Talat Thai area?

I am trying to source a large number of a specific gland from the neck of pigs. These are not traditionally used as food and are not available at the market. Talking with the vendors at the market, the glands we want are removed before they receive them. So I need to find out what happens to them and if the slaughterhouse would be willing to sell them. I need to purchase a couple of kg of glands per day, but the actual size is quite small...only around 25 - 30g per pig. So this means I need several hundred pigs per day.

Is anyone familiar with this part of the industry? How can I find a local abattoir to speak with? The market vendors are unwilling to disclose where they get their product so I can follow the chain back to the source.

Thanks for any assistance.