Pigs 101 (A Start): The Official Pig Farming Thread

18 hours ago, jompa67 said:

Guys, i need some information.

When pig raiser buying piglets (big farms). How many percent can they expect to die, get sick or other kind of problem so they need to be sold in advance.

I have heard of 3 - 5%.

from what i hear from company "doctors" and the few farmers that i speak too, very good is around the 3%,  total loss (thats piglet delivered @ around 5kg then going onto the finished 95/105kg) 5% is normal/good 7/8% is getting bad... 

you sell your piglets out older and around the 10 + kg mark so the farmer buying should have a low death rate me thinks....

this time of year the transportation could affect the piglets if picked up in the day time.... if i were buying i would pick up during the late evening....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I need your advice. We have a neighbor who lives a few hundred meters away who has opened a swimming pool facility. They complain about the smell from the farm. Now the municipality of Phi Mai has contacted us and wants us to take action. What can we do? What are our rights? The farm has been around for 20 years and is run as a Limited company with all taxes paid. 

Invest in Bio-gas require land and a lot of money. Adding EM to the drinking water helps a bit.

For me it sounds stupid to open such a business so close to a pig farm. What do they expects.

If anyone have good links to Bio-gas sites in Thailand, please post them to me.

How should we proceed?

12 hours ago, jompa67 said:

I need your advice. We have a neighbor who lives a few hundred meters away who has opened a swimming pool facility. They complain about the smell from the farm. Now the municipality of Phi Mai has contacted us and wants us to take action. What can we do? What are our rights? The farm has been around for 20 years and is run as a Limited company with all taxes paid. 

Invest in Bio-gas require land and a lot of money. Adding EM to the drinking water helps a bit.

For me it sounds stupid to open such a business so close to a pig farm. What do they expects.

If anyone have good links to Bio-gas sites in Thailand, please post them to me.

How should we proceed?

is your farm "registered" at the local government office? by this i mean, before building did you apply to build a pig farm @ x number of pigs and square meters building? this will be reviewed every year if granted, also it will be inspected from the outside every year, bylocal gov guys.. this cost us around 3/4,000 baht per year. so basically you get a new letter and certificate every year (after inspection/payment) on top of this they should also be checking on the waste water and manure handling on site, wife pays an extra "environmental tax" for the waste the pigs produce, another 5 or 6000 baht per year. wife has daily paper work (from local gov office) for water used in farm and water out of farm every day. if yo have all above take with you when you have sit down chat with the people that have the issue with your farm, around here this will include village head man all people who live around you and local gov people, to try and sort out the issues.. the next  stage if you cannot sort out (make said people happy) will need to go to the main ampur people plus government vets to have inspections plus group sit down chat.... ect... are you inspected by the main government vets in your province?, every 3 years in our area. again more inspections, check all paper work, more payment, around 3,000 baht i think, after this you will again be given certifcate ect.. in our area you need to inform main govn office of every animal movement your farm does ( fines do apply)

the bio gas pits dont realy do alot for the smell, its the aeration pits and the smell that comes from the sow (in house) which is the main cause for problem here.  minimum building regs here are for sow farm to nearest dwellings (5 or more houses together) 1km ish.... finisher farms 1.5km isssh.... it all goes to the vote by locals around here if you can even build or not......

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, thoongfoned said:

it all goes to the vote by locals around here if you can even build or not......

A very well laid out description Thoongfoned. I wish I had it in 2008 when we built our sty. It was all pretty loose then around here, but that is a story for another day. 

Ultimately pressure by couple of locals, heaps of lies, and mountains of complaints and I gave up. Health department got involved to "judge the smell". They would just arrived unannounced, smell the air, clear us and every three months the same guy would complain again. 

22 minutes ago, thoongfoned said:

make said people happy

That was suggested by all the government people. Agree a figure to compensate the complaining person or people. That I refused to do as there would have been no end to it given the person involved.

The suggestion of having a meeting with all involved is a great one. Have all your documents and permits in order and think hard about paying them off before hand.

1 hour ago, IsaanAussie said:

The suggestion of having a meeting with all involved is a great one. Have all your documents and permits in order and think hard about paying them off before hand.

We have been in contact but they just want us to get ride of the smell or close. The smell is just a problem when the wind is in there direction, in other case, no problem.

We pay tax to the local office but have not ask or talked about any environment taxes. It also turn out that we have a building that is not registered (with blueprint). To fix that it cost like 30.000 bath. Maybe that will help ????

So, two separate issues. The smell and the legal requirements for farming pigs. Regulations will get tighter and you will have to comply before you get "caught out".

So I would start on the smell issue by cleaning the floors daily and by covering or composting any manure piles. Process wash water in a septic system. Eliminate any gas discharge into the air. 

I looked at building a Chinese domed biodigester but the thought of having pressurized methane around the place and no use for it I considered too dangerous.

• 4 months later...

Howdy folks... ???? I'm interested in getting a couple of wrinkly faced "Meishan" piglets for the homestead. Has anyone in this forum ever heard of them and know where they can be purchased or have a contact in Thailand?.... ????  Cheers-- ????

On 1/4/2021 at 8:19 AM, Mobileroadie said:

Howdy folks... ???? I'm interested in getting a couple of wrinkly faced "Meishan" piglets for the homestead. Has anyone in this forum ever heard of them and know where they can be purchased or have a contact in Thailand?.... ????  Cheers-- ????

Sorry, don't know, but you should probably wait until there is a vaccine for ASF before you invest. Official, Thailand don't have ASF, but for real, there is so many small and medium size farm being wiped out from ASF in Thailand. The government call it "Sever form of PRRS", but from those that have sent sample to lab for analyse, the result is ASF.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, jompa67 said:

wait until there is a vaccine for ASF before you invest

Waiting for a vaccine might take a decade in Thailand.

If your pigs will not be in touch with someone else's pigs, or with dogs and other farm animals, and you feed them organic, self grown grains or commercial feed, you should be fine.

Just like Covid19, ASF is not such a big deal if you are responsible.

On 1/11/2021 at 3:40 AM, thoongfoned said:

birds,flies, and rats could bring asf into your area.

did read about a vaccine that was in the final stages of testing about this time last year, but with this covid ....maybe on a back burner at the mo.

https://www.thepigsite.com/news/2020/11/vietnam-hints-at-asf-vaccine-progress

• 6 months later...
8 hours ago, blaise92 said:

Greeting to farm owners here.

Just wondering if it possible to set up a pig farm of about 200pigs and register it with a Thai partner ,then use it to get a business visa?

Possible as long as you have millions of baht to invest, price of pork is high at the moment so it's a good business for now, price could tank any moment

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

Personally I would ring or go to the local vet office first. There is every chance his full time job is with the department of Agriculture making him the first responder anyway. 

Ok thanks will do that

• Like 1

Pigs are getting sick and being destroyed in several farms around us in Loei.

A place very close had authorities destroy and bury their entire stock (20+) today.

They have been told they cant have any more on their land for a year or possibly 2. The pic is from another place close by.

I've been hearing of outbreaks in other towns in recent months.

I don't know if it's ASF or foot and mouth or something else.

pig.thumb.jpg.645a0efd3427cc29bc9472f56b5a45d3.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 12/25/2021 at 12:04 PM, FrequentStops said:

Regarding ASF, is there a national policy re smallhold farm recovery procedures, or is this handled at the province level, or ???

you get75% compensation on what the province leader of agriculture says the pigs are worth , then wait 6 months for compensation as it has to get passed by the prime minister, your local head village man will come and bury them for you, you only get paid out for what they bury not what has died beforehand , hope this helps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sateuk said:

you get75% compensation on what the province leader of agriculture says the pigs are worth , then wait 6 months for compensation as it has to get passed by the prime minister, your local head village man will come and bury them for you, you only get paid out for what they bury not what has died beforehand , hope this helps

Interesting, plenty of room in those steps for the game players. But that is not the point, you must know the steps and people involved and be prepared. The clear signal is do not wait if you have a problem speak up straight away. I have a friend whose whole herd was culled within 24 hours and he got nothing. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Would be interesting how far the "moneymakers" really are with the Warthog Gene (RELA) implemented into house Pigs and when they give the vaccine (if available) to the small scale Farmers.

I dream of rotational Pastures where pigs could be the workers and pay with themselves, but atm the outbreak in Thailand and quick spread stops me just thinking of it.

I had a nice cross of chicken (I know off topics) Brahma cross Thai Fighting chicken. The 3 rd generation was looking still much as Brahmas, but very active foraging in the heat while the other Brahmas were suffering even they are said to be heat resistant. Then the bird flu hit in and I am living in the middle of nowhere in Isaan... 

But also here working in Taiwan the shops are stripped from eggs. The only egg I had since 2 weeks was at Mc "D" but I have my doubt that this egg ever has seen a chicken a**.

The Pig meat prices are also going sky high here in Taiwan..  300 grs Loin for 280 NTD equals 300 Baht...