Jump to content
BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

Pigs 101 (A Start): The official pig farming thread 2019

Recommended Posts

https://www.pig333.com/latest_swine_news/thailand-pigs-culled-amid-african-swine-fever-fears_15323/?utm_source=newsletters333&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Swine+News&xemail=aWRtPTg5MjMmaWR1PTI4MTcyJnQ9OWVjYTUwN2ZjOGEzNTQyZDM5YWJmMTIzMWI3NzMxNTE%3D

 

Hopefully everyone has seen this report of 200 pigs being culled in Chiang Rai as a preventive measure. Keep an eye out for the test results from the two pigs that died and sparked this response.

All the best guys

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday government vets killed my mother in laws 15 pigs. They are killing all pigs in the area, at least 200 so far.

 

It came to light that a farm in the village had lost over 80 pigs out of the 100 they had on a unregistered farm. They had reported the deaths in hope of getting compensation. 

 

The vet would not say if any pig had swine flu but said the culling was a preventative measure. The pigs were removed and disinfectant strayed. 

 

This was in a small village south east of Bankruat, South Buriram.

 

I have seen nothing reported in the news yet. My wife is going to the government office in the morning to ask about compensation and to find out if it was down to swine flu. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mick220675 said:

Yesterday government vets killed my mother in laws 15 pigs. They are killing all pigs in the area, at least 200 so far.

 

It came to light that a farm in the village had lost over 80 pigs out of the 100 they had on a unregistered farm. They had reported the deaths in hope of getting compensation. 

 

The vet would not say if any pig had swine flu but said the culling was a preventative measure. The pigs were removed and disinfectant strayed. 

 

This was in a small village south east of Bankruat, South Buriram.

 

I have seen nothing reported in the news yet. My wife is going to the government office in the morning to ask about compensation and to find out if it was down to swine flu. 

Here's hoping it isn't ASF. But it is good to see the government not taking any chances. Hopefully they can stay fully informed nationally to prevent any (more) spread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very good source out of Prakhonchai which is next door to Bankruat has informed me that a lady from his village has been hospitalized and been told she has swine flu. This same source about 7 years back, his son contacted swine flu. Being at that time Thailand did not have any medicine for it he had it sent from Dubai. I have no doubt that swine flu is in Thailand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IsaanAussie said:

I didn't think humans could catch ASF? 

ASF they say no evidence yet but other strains yes. As for the comment that I posted..she now says it is dengue fever.😏

Edited by khwaibah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Government vets are culling all pigs in our neighbouring villages today. The numbers must be in the hundreds now.

 

Wife has been told they will be paid 1000 baht/pig.

 

To be fair to the government they are well organised and are moving fast. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 provinces monitored for Asian swine fever

By The Nation

 

800_49d4583952917de.jpg

 

The Department of Livestock Development has announced that 24 provinces of Thailand are now surveillance areas for African swine fever (ASF).

 

 

Director-General Sorawit Thaneto, said that the severe pig epidemic is continuing to spread in Asia. There is no vaccine or cure. Though the disease has never been reported in people, an outbreak is estimated to cost direct and indirect economic damage to the livestock production industry of at least Bt100 billion.

 

Anyone wishing to move animals or carcasses of pigs or wild boars, including semen or embryos for breeding, through an epidemic surveillance area must obtain permission from the veterinarian responsible for that area. A violation is punishable by an imprisonment of up to two years and/or a fine up to Bt40,000 under Article 65 of the Animal Epidemic Act BE 2015

 

Areas under surveillance are:

 

North: Chiang Rai, Phayao, Nan, Uttaradit, Mae Hong Son and Chiang Mai;

 

Northeast: Loei, Nong Khai, Bueng Kan, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Amnat Charoen, Ubon Ratchathani, Si Sa Ket, Surin and Buri Ram;

 

East: Sa Kaeo, Chanthaburi and Trat;

 

West: Ratchaburi;

 

South: Ranong.

 

As well, Three provinces are declared partial surveillance areas:

 

Tak (5 districts): Umphang, Mae Sot, Tha Song Yang, Mae Ramat and Phop Phra;

 

Phitsanulok (2 districts): Chat Trakan and Nakhon Thai;

 

Phetchaburi (2 districts): Nong Ya Plong and Kaeng Krachan.

 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376805

 

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mick220675 said:

Government vets are culling all pigs in our neighbouring villages today. The numbers must be in the hundreds now.

 

Wife has been told they will be paid 1000 baht/pig.

 

To be fair to the government they are well organised and are moving fast. 

Is that 1000 baht for a baby pig? If for a sow or a 80 + kg grower pig people will lose lots of money 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears the border provinces are being closely monitored with the intention of keeping it out. It must be over two weeks since the first reported deaths in ChiangRai so those test results should be available soon. 

I hope I'm wrong but I cannot see Thailand staying ASF free for long. At 1000 baht per culled pig, I can see a foot race to sell stock for anything over that amount and a lot of "illegal" pig movements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.feedstrategy.com/african-swine-fever/cp-foods-confident-it-can-keep-asf-out-of-its-farms/?utm_source=KnowledgeMarketing&utm_medium=email&utm_content=African Swine Fever Update&utm_campaign=African Swine Fever Update 190927

 

Take a moment to read this, spend longer to think it through. Being entirely concentrated on the feed aspects is not surprising considering the source but for CPF to highlight this sets the bells ringing for me. How is ASF really being spread? If there is a chance it is via microbial spores in pelletised feed then God help everyone. 

I have been on the fringe of pig farming for years now, but CPF remains the largest feed producer in the world by a factor of two. If anyone knows, they do! If you where in their position and by having better information could protect your interests, would you share? Warning others would be the best I would expect.

Edited by IsaanAussie
Added comment on CP standing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sateuk said:

Is that 1000 baht for a baby pig? If for a sow or a 80 + kg grower pig people will lose lots of money 

Nothing confirmed yet but the mother in law will get 1000/pig. 

 

The pigs killed were 3 month old and a good size. 

 

The family are having a bad time. Last year's sugar made very little the rice has been difficult due to the weather and now the pigs.

 

I will probably have to help out again.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mick220675 said:

Nothing confirmed yet but the mother in law will get 1000/pig. 

 

The pigs killed were 3 month old and a good size. 

 

The family are having a bad time. Last year's sugar made very little the rice has been difficult due to the weather and now the pigs.

 

I will probably have to help out again.  

That's a shame a 3 month old pig worth a lot more a 1000 baht. Yes sugar is not worth growing anymore I'm in buriram near the airport people are starting to change from growing sugar now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone else find it strange that there has been no mention of the test findings from the culled pigs?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ktotheb said:

Does anyone else find it strange that there has been no mention of the test findings from the culled pigs?

No.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...