BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

Pigs 101 (A Start): The official pig farming thread 2019

Very interesting article. I am not an expert and can make no comment on the science involved but it makes sense to me. A very cloaked attack on the obvious major corporate player here at the end though. 

If I was still actively involved in the industry, I would adopt a strategy of complete isolation. Nothing comes in, anything that goes out, stays out. The only open issue would be the chance of infection via commercial pelletised feed. Considering the temperature and process, that seems unlikely.

As a matter of interest ball park figure if I may costs of sows ready to breed.

Asking only as I have a vested interest (very silent partner) in a pig farm run by wife's family. Just have a sneaky suspicion about one of the managers.(uncle).

Excuse my ignorance on this just trying to get a ball park figure.

Just now, fourpack said:

Asking only as I have a vested interest (very silent partner) in a pig farm run by wife's family. Just have a sneaky suspicion about one of the managers.(uncle).

Can you be more specific about the pig? Based on what you have said the price could range from 8 to 25 thousand baht maybe even more! 

50 minutes ago, fourpack said:

depending on breed, a gilt 140kg @ 250 day old, on third/fourth heat cycle from the company where the wife works (company in house sales) 18,000 baht each.