The Official Farm Photos Thread

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 12:26 PM, djayz said:

Somewhere in Isan, between Roi Et and Buries. Don't remember the town. Have never seen this before. 

Tractor, which was on a low trailer and pulled behind a small lorry, pulling a baler. 

1622039032550.jpg

I suppose the bailer was connected with the three point hitch? Interesting cornering abilities..... LOL

The truck and trailer used to transport finished bales on site. They are learning.

Boredom induced thought, stick a diff in the baler axle, add the pto shaft and start the tractor. Imagine the blinding take offs possible at the lights. Pass me another cold snack missus!

Edited by IsaanAussie
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Combining a crop of maize ............or ploughing a field ,this is near me taken a few days ago after about 40 mm of rain.

Look at some of the leaves ,still green ,the owner said it has been 105 days since drilling ,to combining,normale it is 120 day to combining ,as I wrote before the farm I worked on in the UK our old fitter use to say, You think a crop is fit to combine,go on holiday for a week ,when you come back it will be fit to go ,I think this would be a good idea here.

But this year the buyers are buying any crop,with a shortage of imported wheat, barley, and maize, it is what Thais cal "Mao",which translate as take all ,they will take all crops not bothered about moisture ,this crop must be 30% plus ,how it is being trashed out I would not know.

The price is not bad last month it was 9.50baht/kg ,last week 8.80baht/kg,this evening talking to a group of farmers while a crop was being combined they said 8.50 baht/kg .

A couple of weeks ago talking to a big buyer of maize ,he said they were paying 9.50baht/kg,then they were selling the crop to Betagro for 11.50baht/kg ,when dried down to 15% moisture , he is lucky the Betagro mill is only 15 km up the road ,so low transport costs he said a crop comes in at 30 % moisture he dries it down to 15%,he will lose 40gk /ton.

Looking at my crystal ball,cassava prices are still good ,maize is well up on last year ,with the high fuel price sugar cane should be a good price ,I think rice prices will be good ,and from AN last week the governments is subbing farmers to the tune of a good few billion baht .

20220913_175804.jpg

20220910_104813 (1).jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

One of our local rice buyer ,first off farmer weighs his load in ,then tipped ,a big pay loader loads it on to a truck and trailer and away to the rice mill ,which is about 30 km away.a quick almost same day turn around .

The rice is Hom Marli,he is paying 11000baht/ton,mosture is not checked he says he sells it  at 12-13000baht/ton,but some loads he only gets 9500baht/ton,the rice not being Hom Marli,the rice mill knows .the farmers selling ordinary rice saying  it is Hom Marli.

Looking at the heap of rice, a lot of trash in it, some combines need setting up .

He also buys in maize and cassava ,maize in the shed in the background.

20221118_122737.jpg

20221118_122304.jpg

20221118_122602.jpg

• Like 2

We have had 22 mm of rain this week ,not a lot ,but I come across this yesterday ,rain?wind ?has flattened this sugar cane,first time I have seen it ,it was a very good crop as well .

Will, have to be cut by hand ,no way a machine can do it.

So I have been told our local cane factory will open 6 December ,I said that is late ,wife's granddaughters other half works they ,he said they are still boiling the juice from last year's crop ,and they have some more maintenance to do .

20221125_165718 (1).jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Local cane grower spending some of his money from this year's crop.

You can see the bore hole on the right and the cane in the background, and the old set up at the back, a po-pop engine mounted on a frame with the pump .

He is using drip tape system, working well considering how hot it is.

RIMG0005 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Winter break November 2022 till February 2023.

Bought 17 rai rice fields and changed it to a Permaculture forest.

Little retirement project when I stop here at work by 2024.

Avoiding me hanging off at the stone table in front of 7eleven... 

Before:

DSC_0019.thumb.JPG.1e2d79db749616da0023c3209d4ae83f.JPG

After:

380 Trees (Food Forest) from all around the world, 5500 sqm lake and 420 meter river...

1141788795_1-FullView.thumb.jpg.64828ac9b18af53626a16768e039e72c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Saw this yesterday our local farming company, pulling this box scrapper around, about as much use as a chocolate teapot ,walked across the field ,2 inch underground a pan, land very  hard ,did not leave a good finish .

They would be better off waiting for some rain, going in with a one pass cultivator, and then drilling job done.

But they days are numbered, all they land is rented, all they equipment is big, imported secondhand from the USA most of the land in our area they only get one crop a year, hardly enough to pay for everything., so I have been told they farm about 2000 rie.

20230418_180130.jpg

20230418_180209.jpg

23 hours ago, kickstart said:

Saw this yesterday our local farming company, pulling this box scrapper around, about as much use as a chocolate teapot ,walked across the field ,2 inch underground a pan, land very  hard ,did not leave a good finish .

They would be better off waiting for some rain, going in with a one pass cultivator, and then drilling job done.

But they days are numbered, all they land is rented, all they equipment is big, imported secondhand from the USA most of the land in our area they only get one crop a year, hardly enough to pay for everything., so I have been told they farm about 2000 rie.

20230418_180130.jpg

20230418_180209.jpg

Just one question: WHY? 

Did it come for free with the last shipment of second hand AG machines?

On 4/20/2023 at 8:44 PM, CLW said:

Just one question: WHY? 

Did it come for free with the last shipment of second hand AG machines?

A good question, we come from Europe where box scrapers   are not used, but across the Atlantic they are used, also our Farmerjo  has made/used one.

I know Thai like the American way of farming, a lot of our dairy cattle breeds come from America. 

So, I presume, if they use one so will we, or they got it so let's use it, most certainly not to a good use.

But that just about sums up they management, the photo is the same field about 50ria taken 6-8 weeks ago, this crop of corn has now been ploughed in just did not grow had lots of water, FJ said it was a cool spell true, but other crops or corn in the area grew, most were cut for corn silage.

Just a big company farm thinking they have all the big tackle like they American cousins they can make lots of money, except the Americans have some idea about big farm management, this lot do not. 

20230220_083431.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2023 at 9:11 PM, kickstart said:

20230418_180130.jpg

20230418_180209.jpg

The same field same place photo taken this evening, weeds are growing well, as of yet no other work done on this field. 

A green manure.?

RIMG0018.JPG

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Last year, my wife started the cucumber farm. It did all right the first run. About 2rai she yield 30Kb/rai. Then she planted again for the 2nd run ,... then the floods came.

If there is no flood a farm like this can get her 3 runs yielding more then 100k a year. And that's for just 2 rai.

_DSC5591.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two firsts here, first time I have seen baled silage in Thailand.

The farm is a large by Thai standards, the owner was not they when I asked about them, just the guys who milk the cows I said what grass did you use, they said it is not grass but corn/maize, that is the second first, never seen baled raped maize silage before

They said a company did the job, they did not know who, the baler, rapper and plastic wrap would all be imported, these bales must weigh 500kg each.

I have often thought rapped baled silage is the way to go, you can get mini bales would work well for your small farms. 

RIMG0034.JPG

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...