Wooden Furniture

Isan Farang

Many years ago when we needed new furniture we went to Baan Tawai outside Chiang Mai. It is the "Woodcarving Village" so there are many shops.

I don't know if they have your style. 

Link to Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/w3xE5MZgtz32

Thanks for the info, i am planning to build a small house in San Sai area so now looking around whare to find the items i require.

Just checking if they have a yearly market in CR whare outside vendors set up a area for selling wooden furniture. At my main residence in Ubon they will arrive end of this month and stay for around 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, Isan Farang said:

Thanks for the info, i am planning to build a small house in San Sai area so now looking around whare to find the items i require.

Just checking if they have a yearly market in CR whare outside vendors set up a area for selling wooden furniture. At my main residence in Ubon they will arrive end of this month and stay for around 2 weeks.

There are quite a few OTOP events where you can see a lot of wooden furniture.

You either have to keep your eyes out for the banners about it or read it on here.

Lots and lots of shops in Phrae. That's where we get most of our furniture, some of which is custom made. 

The quality at the Otops is not great, but there's a stretch of shops on Route 1 that have good quality. The area is south of the Otops, maybe a km or so.

6 hours ago, FarangRimPing said:

Lots and lots of shops in Phrae. That's where we get most of our furniture, some of which is custom made. 

The quality at the Otops is not great, but there's a stretch of shops on Route 1 that have good quality. The area is south of the Otops, maybe a km or so.

Would i be correct i will not find the items i am looking for in CR ?

I am not sure what you mean by Otops ?

You mention a stretch of shops on route 1, can you indicate whare.

On my way back i will drive from CR to Phitsanulok, so i can stop off and check whats available. I have no issue to travel around if the quality is ok.

With Otops he means OTOP= One Tambon One Product. 

I have also been to Phrae many times and I bought wooden doors there. 

The place was Den Chai just south of Phrae. 

Google "wooden furniture in phrae" and you will get a lot of results incl pics.

Not as far as Den Chai, it's in Phrae. Tambon Phra Luang. (My wife called that area by a different name.) For example, GPS : 18.068002, 100.119696 is one nice shop. Many shops adjacent and across the street. I think (not sure) that this is the original furniture area of Phrae. We found that this area has the best quality. Correct, haven't seen something like this in CR.

You seem to have received some good advice here. An early post suggested Baan Tawai Village outside of Chiang Mai. Unquestionably, many of the hundreds of shops there have your style. But probably no need for you to travel that far.

PS Keeping this beautiful furniture in tropical Thailand, okay. I exported a container load to dryer Canada. Most of it prominently cracked as it dried out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, FarangRimPing said:

Not as far as Den Chai, it's in Phrae. Tambon Phra Luang. (My wife called that area by a different name.) For example, GPS : 18.068002, 100.119696 is one nice shop. Many shops adjacent and across the street. I think (not sure) that this is the original furniture area of Phrae. We found that this area has the best quality. Correct, haven't seen something like this in CR.

Many thanks for the info, on my way back today i stopped at some shops in Sung Men. There was a row of about 10 shops that some had exactly what i am after.

One shop (Taweesak) told me they can make any design i wish if they have clear pictures and dimentions. Delivery to CR is also no issue.

17 hours ago, Isan Farang said:

Many thanks for the info, on my way back today i stopped at some shops in Sung Men. There was a row of about 10 shops that some had exactly what i am after.

One shop (Taweesak) told me they can make any design i wish if they have clear pictures and dimentions. Delivery to CR is also no issue.

Yup, that's the area I PM'd you about. Many (maybe all but perhaps some farm out the work?) of the places in that area will do custom builds. We had some pieces made by a small shop about 5 shops down from Taweesak (same side). They did a good job but when it came to additional pieces we wanted made later on, they upped the price. So we then had a shop on the opposite side make some furniture. (The shop I gave for which I gave the GPS coordinates.) We always insist on old teak. More expensive, but worth it, in our opinion.

We've had great luck from all of the Sung Men shops.

Archived