Britain can end Brexit unilaterally, EU court advisor says

snoop1130

Britain can end Brexit unilaterally, EU court advisor says

fgdfg.JPG

FILE PHOTO: The towers of the European Court of Justice are seen in Luxembourg, January 26, 2017. REUTERS/Francois Lenoir/File Photo

LUXEMBOURG (Reuters) - The European Court of Justice’s advocate general said on Tuesday Britain has the right to withdraw its Brexit notice from the European Union unilaterally.

The non-binding advice comes as the British parliament begins five days of debates on Prime Minister Theresa May’s proposed Brexit deal with the EU before voting on it next Tuesday.

“Advocate General (Manuel) Campos Sanchez-Bordona proposes that the Court of Justice should declare that Article 50 ... allows the unilateral revocation of the notification of the intention to withdraw from the EU,” the ECJ, the bloc’s highest court, said.

“That possibility continues to exist until such time as the withdrawal agreement is formally concluded,” it said in a statement.

While the advocate general’s opinions are not binding, the court tends to follow them in its final rulings. It was not know when it would announce its decision.

Britain is due to leave the bloc on March 29, 2019, and May has agreed on an exit pact and an outline of the future EU-British ties with the other 27 EU states. But the proposed accord must yet be backed in the British parliament, where it faces stiff opposition.

The case was brought before the ECJ by Scottish politicians opposed to Brexit. They hope that if the court rules in their favor, it would pave the way for a potential second referendum, giving voters the option to remain in the EU.

“The decision is one that the UK can make unilaterally - without needed the consent of the other (EU) member states. That puts the decision about our future back into the hands of our own elected representatives,” said Jo Maugham, one of the lawyers involved in the case.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-4

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Uk having this right was never in doubt but actually doing it would be political suicide for the party that tries and for our democracy.

Unless the Party that does it was elected to power on the promise that it would do everything it could to prevent the UK leaving.

In which case it would be the key to a lengthy period of office.

And very much the opposite of political suicide (which is what the Tories are currently engaged in).

God bless them.

The Tories should tell the people something like this:

We totally f#%# it up. It was our mistake and here are the consequences.

We will cancel Brexit today.

We all will resign.

We dissolve our party. We didn't do anything good for the country so what's the point of keeping it.

Let's have new election and then you, the voters, should elect someone competent.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The Tories should tell the people something like this:

We totally f#%# it up. It was our mistake and here are the consequences.

We will cancel Brexit today.

We all will resign.

We dissolve our party. We didn't do anything good for the country so what's the point of keeping it.

Let's have new election and then you, the voters, should elect someone competent.

The EU would need to be fully accountable to the electorate & have their books audited & properly balanced before this could be taken seriously.

Frankly we'd be better off trying to join the united states....if we wait til they dump trump ????

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you remember when George W was president? Everybody thought it can't get worse.

And then came Trump.

It can get worse! 62 million Americans voted for Trump. His character and his not existing qualification was all over the news and nobody could miss it. And they still voted for him...

The alternative is a dead ringer for the bloke from Jethro Tull minus the flute:

Image result for corbyn

49 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

they will do anything to cling on to the monthly remittances and easy money from UK to fund their lavish lifestyle ..but no reverse without a bloodbath of dead MPs to add to joe cox from angry brexiteers who will raise a civil war ..\MPs will be hung from lamposts for dictatorship

Not if it is done on the instructions of a people's vote ... a democratic vote that supersedes the previous one.

I'd be surprised to see zimmer frames through Waitrose's window though, those dotard leavers need them to get themselves about. 

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you remember when George W was president? Everybody thought it can't get worse.

And then came Trump.

It can get worse! 62 million Americans voted for Trump. His character and his not existing qualification was all over the news and nobody could miss it. And they still voted for him...

Alex Jones will be 46, it's possible.

3 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Not if it is done on the instructions of a people's vote ... a democratic vote that supersedes the previous one.

It seems there is still a possibility that the majority would again vote for Brexit.

One would think they had two years to realize Brexit just does not make any sense...

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems there is still a possibility that the majority would again vote for Brexit.

One would think they had two years to realize Brexit just does not make any sense...

I think there is a hard core who don't think they would lose anything from it, but most people with jobs, mortgages, businesses are more inclined towards some sort of deal or remain. So I think they'd lose by a bigger margin than they won previously.

8 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I'd be surprised to see zimmer frames through Waitrose's window though, those dotard leavers need them to get themselves about. 

I knew you'd be excited.

6 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Why are you still peddling that ol' "they're ficker than us" chestnut instead of coming up with something a little more original or dare I say it amusing?

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

Why are you still peddling that ol' "they're ficker than us" chestnut instead of coming up with something a little more original or dare I say it amusing?

I don't think you are entitled to infer that from my words.

The vote was mostly old people (sitting comfortable with no job, business or home to lose) hoping to turn back the cultural clock and poor people with little to lose (who think that all of their issues are down to immigration and austerity) who wanted to give two fingers to Cameron.

12 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The alternative is a dead ringer for the bloke from Jethro Tull minus the flute:

Image result for corbyn

And so I have read he has never met the Queen, which the leader of her majesty opposition

does.

If he was PM he would have to meet the Queen, no getting away from it.

And if he was PM, would the last person leaving the country please turn the lights out.

I said this in 2016 and I will say it again. Britain won't leave the European union. Too much big business and party politics at play.

There is no way on this Earth that the current deal will get through parliament and the movers and shakers down at Canary Wharf

simply will not allow a no deal brexit. It will go back to the people via a General Election, Labor will win by a landslide, and the working class

will rule again. It's obvious that a 2nd vote will be overwhelmingly for remain, and the tory's will be left in political wilderness.

I said this in 2016 and I will say it again. Britain won't leave the European union. Too much big business and party politics at play.

There is no way on this Earth that the current deal will get through parliament and the movers and shakers down at Canary Wharf

simply will not allow a no deal brexit. It will go back to the people via a General Election, Labor will win by a landslide, and the working class

will rule again. It's obvious that a 2nd vote will be overwhelmingly for remain, and the tory's will be left in political wilderness.

The vote was mostly old people (sitting comfortable with no job, business or home to lose) hoping to turn back the cultural clock and poor people with little to lose (who think that all of their issues are down to immigration and austerity) who wanted to give two fingers to Cameron.

Where where the young voters?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

23 minutes ago, KhunProletariat said:

And you just said it again, again.

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

I agree that a majority of senior voters were for leave but I disagree with your explanation. A lot of these people witnessed the mutation of what was deceptively sold simply as the common market into the complex political bureaucracy that it obviously is and that was evidently planned from the start. Large numbers of these voters waited very patiently for this referendum, for a very long time, with the majority of the leave votes set years ago when they weren't quite so old and didn't need the zimmer frames that you seem so keen to unkindly associate with them. I also have no doubt that they also voted in what they think to be the best interests of their children and children's children.

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

No more votes please - too dangerous....just some weasel words from May , tried our hardest etc but the costs will just be too high particularly as the economic and political world is darkening. Promise to revisit it in the future - "when the time is right for a more informed debate" and quietly let it die hopefully never to raise it's stinking head ever again.

Archived