Britain can end Brexit unilaterally, EU court advisor says

snoop1130

38 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Not sure why?

The poster is basically saying that trade agreements mean nothing?

Well, that you've got a locked in real FTA with the EU, and you throwing that away for a lot of second and third rate FTA's which will take a decade to negotiate anyway.

Ah well, at least you get your blue passports and bendy banana's back.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nauseus said:

If you explain and justify this comment first: realise where their future is, stop wishing for a past that no longer exists and make the necessary adjustments to create straight through addition not weakness through division.

So you think all the components from the past that made Britain great are still there ,and you don't think the world is aligning itself in trading blocs ,and that there is strength in numbers? 

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

So you think all the components from the past that made Britain great are still there ,and you don't think the world is aligning itself in trading blocs ,and that there is strength in numbers? 

That would be fine if it was a mere trading block, but the EU morphed into an anti democratic political union complete with foreign policy and plans for its own armed forces!

57 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Not sure why?

The poster is basically saying that trade agreements mean nothing?

Very little in real terms - the UK-US  that was proposed was expected to produce a 0.2% increase in joint GDPs

Non-tariff barriers are far more significant. Elimination of these is the single market's biggest achievement.    

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Because the electorate was misinformed about the consequences of Brexit back in 2016 and the referendum was only advisory. Britain has a system of parliamentary democracy.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Absolute rubbish.

It was in 1975 that the British people were misinformed,or to put it more bluntly, lied to and conned.

The referendum as you well know,was a binding decision. And the people voted to exit the hated E.u. Unfortunately the babies could not accept this democratic decision, preferring to undermine their fellow citizens Democratic vote.

76A3EBC0-C4C6-47B2-BC85-68E3835AFE32.jpeg

20 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Well you didn't explain and justify your comment but to answer this one:

• Some of the components are still there but this is a totally different age, so there are no aspirations to reclaim the former empire as far as I am concerned, if that's what you mean?
  • Of course there are emerging trading blocs, I didn't say that there weren't. The question is who do they really benefit?
  • Strength in numbers? Not necessarily. Ask the Swiss and Japanese. Any economic strength in the EU predominantly benefits Germany, not the UK.   

3 minutes ago, stag4 said:

That would be fine if it was a mere trading block, but the EU morphed into an anti democratic political union complete with foreign policy and plans for its own armed forces!

I could be wrong , but I don't think democracy is what the Brexit crowd was mostly concerned with , If democracy was the goal they would not be resisting a final referendum .

As to your comment concerning political integration, exactly my point concerning British obstructionism  toward that IMO necessary reforms  for the survival of the EU. 

IMO Brexit would be the best thing that happened to the EU

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I could be wrong , but I don't think democracy is what the Brexit crowd was mostly concerned with , If democracy was the goal they would not be resisting a final referendum .

As to your comment concerning political integration, exactly my point concerning British obstructionism  toward that IMO necessary reforms  for the survival of the EU. 

Yes, you are totally wrong in all respects. 

59 minutes ago, vogie said:

Some of us don't have the time or even the inclination to watch Piers Morgan on Good Morning Britain, or whatever show he presents.

I do watch Piers Morgan most mornings, and to give him credit,even though he voted to remain, and still wishes for us to remain. He acknowledges that the British people took a Democratic decision to exit this so called union. His major concern now is, why has the PM not kept to her promise to abide by that Democratic decision, and in not doing so, is threatening our Democracy.

1 minute ago, nontabury said:

I do watch Piers Morgan most mornings, and to give him credit,even though he voted to remain, and still wishes for us to remain. He acknowledges that the British people took a Democratic decision to exit this so called union. His major concern now is, why has the PM not kept to her promise to abide by that Democratic decision, and in not doing so, is threatening our Democracy.

SW claimed brexiteers get their information from spurious sources whereas his info comes from P Morgan.

I watch him sometimes too, but don't tell SW.

15 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Of course they were concerned about democracy however you cannot hold another referendum until the result of the June one is implemented, if you do democracy is dead.

Once in a generation we were told.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

The Daily Express theory of Brexit.

I don’t see how you can say that. The Daily Express was taken over by the Trinity Mirrow group earlier this year, and almost immediately installed a staunch remain supporting editor. 

Like wise the other pro- Brexit supporting national newspaper,The Daily Mail also appointed a pro remainer editor. 

5 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Most people don't care about the uk 'financial hub' losing some money after they led us into a recession in '08.  Perhaps I'm being slightly unfair, as it was US banks that highlighted the problem within many overseas banks.

Not to mention some banks used govt. money to continue paying their executives the same (or increased....) salary, and ridiculous bonuses to those that had led us into the disaster - whilst 'blaming' the borrowers and stopping/cutting back all loans etc. unless those seeking a loan were seeking a HUGE sum, and in their minds 'credit worthy'....

There is an old saying that goes something along the lines of - borrow a small amount from a bank, and it's your problem, borrow millions - and it's the banks' problem....

But to be fair, I'm not an 'expert', so perhaps I'm wrong in this assessment.

Well you're correct about one thing.

11 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Yes, you are totally wrong in all respects. 

I always start with that assumption,It is a strategy that has worked very well for me,  I suggest you do the same.

Personally I feel bad  for that other 49% (my now probably a majority) that are being forced to follow you where you guys want to go. I am sure they will not be very happy with you when the poop hits the fan, But I am sure you think they will thank you when your Utopia arrives.

I sincerely hope you are right.

6 hours ago, samran said:

The EU on the other hand, have no issues with protectionism. It is free trade within the EU and screw anyone  outside of it.

Who do you think are being protected?

You really should think about the statements you make.

9 minutes ago, stag4 said:

Of course they were concerned about democracy however you cannot hold another referendum until the result of the June one is implemented, if you do democracy is dead.

Once in a generation we were told.

It is not the results of June , but the results of the negotiations 

that need a referendum IMO,  

The problem is that a majority of those voting in the referendum, voted to leave - and many MPs know they are unlikely to be re-elected if they support ignoring the referendum result.....

Historical NOT contemporary data

4 hours ago, AlexRich said:

The Dominic Greive amendment effectively killed a "no deal" Brexit, and Farage quit because UKIP have found themselves a new bigot, little Tommy Islam ... and his band of knuckle dragging followers. 

So where does that leave us? Strangely it serves May ... ERG/DUP looking at Corbyn in power and the possibility of no Brexit. They are effectively gambling with their own futures.

If May now decides upon Remain she would save her party ( save the country also, but that doesn't count)

The problem is that a majority of those voting in the referendum, voted to leave - and many MPs know they are unlikely to be re-elected if they support ignoring the referendum result.....

But they are equally unlikely to get re-elected by leave voters  if they either deliver a Brexit that differs materially from what was promised or deliver a Brexit that makes those voters significantly worse off.

As those two seem to be the only available choices, it's not looking good for those MPs is it? 

On the other hand a No-Brexit outcome might get a few remain voters back to vote for them - they did make up almost 50% of the electorate remember?

3 hours ago, cracker1 said:

I thought the British people voted (by majority) to exit the EU so why is this discussion making news ?

We have a representative democracy

Parliament may do as it dam well likes

The referendum did not bind parliament

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

If May now decides upon Remain she would save her party ( save the country also, but that doesn't count)

To quote J Rees-Mogg, yesterdays amendment does not stop brexit, it merely shows the remainers have not given up.

IMG_20181205_194452.jpg

27 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I always start with that assumption,It is a strategy that has worked very well for me,  I suggest you do the same.

Personally I feel bad  for that other 49% (my now probably a majority) that are being forced to follow you where you guys want to go. I am sure they will not be very happy with you when the poop hits the fan, But I am sure you think they will thank you when your Utopia arrives.

I sincerely hope you are right.

Utopia now. Ha! There are various bits of poop accumulating around the world which are likely to hit the fan soon. The best place to be will be away from the biggest pile.  

46 minutes ago, nontabury said:

????

Oh God! I don't believe it!

I watched Piers Morgan by mistake this morning! What a useless moron. I liked his lady assistant though. The man does not know how to manage a show. We are interested in the guests' opinions not his!!

After all this time we now know why Nontabury hold the opinions he does! He watches the other side! Extraordinary!

6 minutes ago, Grouse said:

????

Oh God! I don't believe it!

I watched Piers Morgan by mistake this morning! What a useless moron. I liked his lady assistant though. The man does not know how to manage a show. We are interested in the guests' opinions not his!!

After all this time we now know why Nontabury hold the opinions he does! He watches the other side! Extraordinary!

Be carefull what you say, SW, your hero, has been known to gleen some of his facts from Piers Morgan. ????

Archived