Bolton Boys We Are Here

champers

15 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Interested to know who do Bolton fans consider your derby is against (any season, not now you're in the 3rd tier)?

No natural rivals really like Blackburn/Burnley and Preston/Blackpool. All of those traditional town teams are as close as we get but none more than any other. Manchester and Liverpool clubs are much the same but I don't think those clubs class us as rivals. 

There is a particular hatred by some fans for Utd that got out of hand sometimes. Will be a couple of years yet before we are back at that level.????

Edited by champers

34 minutes ago, champers said:

No natural rivals really like Blackburn/Burnley and Preston/Blackpool. All of those traditional town teams are as close as we get but none more than any other. Manchester and Liverpool clubs are much the same but I don't think those clubs class us as rivals. 

There is a particular hatred by some fans for Utd that got out of hand sometimes. Will be a couple of years yet before we are back at that level.????

That must be very unusual not to consider any one club a rival.

14 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

That must be very unusual not to consider any one club a rival.

Leicester, Chelsea, Coventry, Hull. What about your home town team Stockport, when they were a league club?

31 minutes ago, champers said:

Leicester, Chelsea, Coventry, Hull. What about your home town team Stockport, when they were a league club?

Chelsea?

Sorry I'm not a County fan. I'm a third generation blue, we moved out from where the Etihad is now.

My old man and i used to go Friday night's to Edgeley Park (we saw that as trying to help them out financially) and I was a Maine Road seasonticket holder Saturday and Wednesday in the 70s & 80s. 

Guess County fans consider their derbies to be against all the greater Manchester clubs, and maybe even Macclesfield when they were around (RIP).

Edited by Bredbury Blue

30 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Chelsea?

Sorry I'm not a County fan. I'm a third generation blue, we moved out from where the Etihad is now.

My old man and i used to go Friday night's to Edgeley Park (we saw that as trying to help them out financially) and I was a Maine Road seasonticket holder Saturday and Wednesday in the 70s & 80s. 

Guess County fans consider their derbies to be against all the greater Manchester clubs, and maybe even Macclesfield when they were around (RIP).

Aren't you going to tell him about Bradford?... The Manchester Bradford that is hardly spoken of these days ... 

I'm not actually taking the <deleted>. I never knew that there was an area of Manchester called Bradford until you told me 

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Aren't you going to tell him about Bradford?... The Manchester Bradford that is hardly spoken of these days ... 

I'm not actually taking the <deleted>. I never knew that there was an area of Manchester called Bradford until you told me 

I don't need telling, I know of it already. The Sheik's money has helped transform the area, fair play to him.

Macc are back in the pyramid next season and playing at Moss Rose too. Robbie Savage is part of the consortium that now owns them - so fair play to him as well (said through gritted teeth).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, champers said:

I don't need telling, I know of it already. The Sheik's money has helped transform the area, fair play to him.

Macc are back in the pyramid next season and playing at Moss Rose too. Robbie Savage is part of the consortium that now owns them - so fair play to him as well (said through gritted teeth).

Na <deleted> Macc the <deleted> sheep shagging scum 

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Didn't mention as Champers wouldn't know of it. But as you ask...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/life-manchesters-lost-boom-town-15724798

2_BradfordArchs.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, champers said:

l am expecting at least a couple of Pink Floyd reunion gigs in the stadium to help fund our march up the leagues.

Happy days. Up the Whites!!!

Slowly, slowly there Champs. Happy for your promotion but as you well know, its a tough slogg climbing those tables

1 hour ago, polpott said:

We did it the hard way and will be joining you next season.

Up the Shrimps!

Congratulations, especially for dumping Trampmere out in the semis. One more local derby for next season.

• Like 1

Good new signing today, George Johnston on a free from Feyenoord. Ex Liverpool U23 skipper, he impressed on loan at Wigan last season. Billy bonus to pinch him from under their gravy stained noses. Scotland U21 international to boot. I'd be interested to know what LFC afficionado @wilai knows about him.

8 hours ago, champers said:

Good new signing today, George Johnston on a free from Feyenoord. Ex Liverpool U23 skipper, he impressed on loan at Wigan last season. Billy bonus to pinch him from under their gravy stained noses. Scotland U21 international to boot. I'd be interested to know what LFC afficionado @wilai knows about him.

Only saw him in a couple of pre-season and kids games. From what I remember, he was a 'steady Eddie' type and played LCB and LB. We got a few bob for him from Feyenoord but I don't think he played much for them. What I do remember is that him and Nat Phillips left at the same time (NP on loan). Funny how things work out! Hope he does well for you guys????

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, wilai said:

Only saw him in a couple of pre-season and kids games. From what I remember, he was a 'steady Eddie' type and played LCB and LB. We got a few bob for him from Feyenoord but I don't think he played much for them. What I do remember is that him and Nat Phillips left at the same time (NP on loan). Funny how things work out! Hope he does well for you guys????

He's a good signing perfect partner for Santos left footed ball playing defender Wigan fans seemed angry that he has come to us and that's always a positive ????, I hear Sheehan from Newport is doing a medical today and has already said his goodbye to Newport he looked a quality operator against us and was in the PFA team of the year. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 7:00 PM, Chad91 said:

He's a good signing perfect partner for Santos left footed ball playing defender Wigan fans seemed angry that he has come to us and that's always a positive ????, I hear Sheehan from Newport is doing a medical today and has already said his goodbye to Newport he looked a quality operator against us and was in the PFA team of the year. 

Sheehan now done.????????

Goalie, a couple of left backs and a centre forward still required.

1 hour ago, champers said:

Sheehan now done.????????

Goalie, a couple of left backs and a centre forward still required.

I would like a right back to although I'm not sure we will get one I think he will stick with Jones and Brocky I like Jones but brocky as a right back I'm not so sure about not bad defensively but doesn't offer to much going forward I would like us to try and get that Kioso back if it is a option

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

I see League 1 and 2 fixtures have been published today.

BW at home to MK Dons on the 7th Aug

Bet you miss your League 1 and 2 days don't you. It's funny, I think many City fans look back with such fondness on the 'Shaun Goater era' and say that was their favourite time. 

Just now, RickG16 said:

Bet you miss your League 1 and 2 days don't you. It's funny, I think many City fans look back with such fondness on the 'Shaun Goater era' and say that was their favourite time. 

I think "favourite time" is stretching it a bit but yeah, I have fond memories. The Gillingham game at Wembley in the play off final was a bladdy rollercoaster of emotions. Last time I ever went to the old Wembley

Just now, mrbojangles said:

I think "favourite time" is stretching it a bit but yeah, I have fond memories. The Gillingham game at Wembley in the play off final was a bladdy rollercoaster of emotions. Last time I ever went to the old Wembley

Do you think you look back fondly because the club had more of a 'soul' then?

On 5/31/2021 at 11:09 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

Didn't mention as Champers wouldn't know of it. But as you ask...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/life-manchesters-lost-boom-town-15724798

2_BradfordArchs.jpg

Great article. I guess that was before the days of N95 masks.

What is that big chimney where all the black smoke is coming from? 

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Do you think you look back fondly because the club had more of a 'soul' then?

Over the years you keep banging on about City having less 'soul' now than before. City are like most clubs, maybe all clubs, particularly yours, in that times have moved on from the 60s, the 70s, the 80s, etc, and so the club changes. Less soul though,  give it a rest or post about something you know something about. I'm convinced you are very bored and continually try to fish for City fans reactions. Remember, Liverpool are your derby, your big rivals, go try winding them up if you're bored (I learnt from one of your posts the other day you work, until then Id always thought you just 'hung out' in Samui).

Just now, Bredbury Blue said:

Over the years you keep banging on about City having less 'soul' now than before. City are like most clubs, maybe all clubs, particularly yours, in that times have moved on from the 60s, the 70s, the 80s, etc, and so the club changes. Less soul though,  give it a rest or post about something you know something about. I'm convinced you are very bored and continually try to fish for City fans reactions. Remember, Liverpool are your derby, your big rivals, go try winding them up if you're bored (I learnt from one of your posts the other day you work, until then Id always thought you just 'hung out' in Samui).

Over the years?!!! ... I've not been on here that long have I? I need to get a life clearly.

I don't live on Samui!!!!

12 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Well said. 

It wasn't great but there was a novelty value to being the biggest fish in the pond by far and visiting new grounds which was fun (according to my brothers). I was home from here over that Christmas/ NY period and I remember the misery of listening on the radio to us losing away at York then sneaking an away win  at Wrexham on Boxing Day, but a few days later i watched a dire 1st half home performance which we ended up winning vs Stoke and that was the kick start we needed. Mentioned it a few times on here, that 'Blue Moon: Down Among The Dead Men With Manchester City (Mainstream Sport) by Mark Hodkinson' is a cracking book about that season and the best book on football I've read (hope to get his other football books some day which i think are about Rochdale and Barnsley).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Over the years?!!! ... I've not been on here that long have I? I need to get a life clearly.

Singapore, no? Are you a barman at Raffles? Or the hotel manager?

Thanks for reminding me the fixtures are out today; I forgot. I was going to put a reminder in my phone but I forgot to do that too.

First away game is Wimbledon in their new stadium. Good summer day out or weekend in that London, new ground to visit.

There are 2 fixture lists out for League 1, one with Derby in and one with Wycombe in. Apparently there has been some serious financial jiggerypokery at Derby: late accounting, false accounting, all to the tune of £30 million. Relegation looms. I reckon Shreck will be out of there double quick and take up the Everton job.

12 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

2016 apparently, doesn't time fly when....

Sorry, I thought I remember you complaining about the cost of fruit or veg on Samui plus I'm sure your liccle pic was a beach in Samui for many years. Guess it was all in a bad dream.

2 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

2016 apparently, doesn't time fly when....

Sorry, I thought I remember you complaining about the cost of fruit or veg on Samui plus I'm sure your liccle pic was a beach in Samui for many years. Guess it was all in a bad dream.

Complaining about the cost of fruit or veg???!!!! How old (and skint) do you think I am?

I hope I don't start complaining about the price of groceries until I'm at least double the age I am now.

4 minutes ago, champers said:

Singapore, no? Are you a barman at Raffles? Or the hotel manager?

Thanks for reminding me the fixtures are out today; I forgot. I was going to put a reminder in my phone but I forgot to do that too.

First away game is Wimbledon in their new stadium. Good summer day out or weekend in that London, new ground to visit.

There are 2 fixture lists out for League 1, one with Derby in and one with Wycombe in. Apparently there has been some serious financial jiggerypokery at Derby: late accounting, false accounting, all to the tune of £30 million. Relegation looms. I reckon Shreck will be out of there double quick and take up the Everton job.

Not Singapore either. Only ever been to the airport.

34 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Shaun is greatly loved at City. Not the greatest ever forward but he knew where the back of the goal was and did his best for us year after year (top scorer for four consecutive seasons - out of 5 i think). He's now part of City's match day onscreen team and he's a blast. Great character.

6 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Well said. 

It wasn't great but there was a novelty value to being the biggest fish in the pond by far and visiting new grounds which was fun (according to my brothers). I was home from here over that Christmas/ NY period and I remember the misery of listening on the radio to us losing away at York then sneaking an away win  at Wrexham on Boxing Day, but a few days later i watched a dire 1st half home performance which we ended up winning vs Stoke and that was the kick start we needed. Mentioned it a few times on here, that 'Blue Moon: Down Among The Dead Men With Manchester City (Mainstream Sport) by Mark Hodkinson' is a cracking book about that season and the best book on football I've read (hope to get his other football books some day which i think are about Rochdale and Barnsley).

Not only did I ask @mrbojanglesa valid question, but it is an interesting one.

Why do some City fans prefer an era in which they were bad (laughably bad), to one in which they have won loads of trophies?

Could it be the 'soul' factor? There has to be some reason?

The floor is yours.