Personal Income Tax for Tourist?

I used to live in Thailand and file my taxes as a employee of my own company for decades, but decided to close shop and live here as a tourist for about half a year.

Last year I spent a little over 180 days in the Kingdom, and lived off of savings. I understand I need to file personal income tax. Do I need to do so even if I had no income or can I just forego the filing since no taxable income in Thailand present?

18 hours ago, faxx said:

Last year

What period is that - Jan-Dec 2017?

If so then filing should have been by the end of March anyhow.........

I think they charge a whole 100 baht for late filing...........

if you are concerned you could always pop into your local revenue office and ask them.

On 12/8/2018 at 12:41 AM, trd said:

Filing a tax return as a long stay tourist living off savings. You've got to be kidding.

Not filing taxes can be a bigger pain than overpaying on them. Banks, brokers, etc. they all like to see yearly tax returns before they let you use your own money these days.

On 12/5/2018 at 3:35 AM, faxx said:

I used to live in Thailand and file my taxes as a employee of my own company for decades, but decided to close shop and live here as a tourist for about half a year.

Last year I spent a little over 180 days in the Kingdom, and lived off of savings. I understand I need to file personal income tax. Do I need to do so even if I had no income or can I just forego the filing since no taxable income in Thailand present?

This would depend on what residency you hold to what country as all countries have different tax laws.

For example: if you were an Australian Citizen living in Thailand and you retained your residency as an Australian resident you would have to declare your worldwide income and pay tax, however if you were a non resident for tax purposes, your income from Thailand would not be deemed taxable, that said if your income was for example coming from a shop in Australia you would be up for 1/3rd of your income as all income derived from Australia is taxable, with the exception of shares.

Australians do not have to lodge a tax return if they are non residents who did not earn an income from within Australia.

6 hours ago, faxx said:
On 12/8/2018 at 12:41 AM, trd said:

Filing a tax return as a long stay tourist living off savings. You've got to be kidding.

Not filing taxes can be a bigger pain than overpaying on them. Banks, brokers, etc. they all like to see yearly tax returns before they let you use your own money these days.

you gotta be kidding!

I file mine every year here and I always get a nice withholding tax refund for doing so.
You can only get a tax refund on income tax you have paid on earnings. Long stay tourists who are living off their savings are not earning and are therefore not liable for income tax.

1 minute ago, trd said:
32 minutes ago, KittenKong said:
B*llocks.

The clue is in income tax, the word "income". Idiot!

Your original comment was that there was no point for a long-term tourist living off savings to file a tax-return here. I pointed out your error as there is every point for such a person to do so if they have paid withholding tax on time deposit interest, for example. The tax return filed is exactly the same.

I get a yearly refund on that withholding tax paid, but I have no income here nor do I pay any income tax here. Hence my comment.

Archived