UK PM May's government loses contempt vote over Brexit legal advice

webfact

The government was found to be in contempt of parliament and now the speaker effectively says the government is contemptuous of parliament.

Parliament is sovereign but the government has little respect for sovereignty, do leavers really think that this is the way forward.

"Halting the debate after no fewer than 164 colleagues have taken the trouble to contribute will be thought by many members of this House to be deeply discourteous," he said.

"I politely suggest that in any courteous, respectful and mature environment, allowing the house to have a say would be the right and, dare I say it, the obvious, course to take."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46511390

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

So you want to be 'tested', whatever that is supposed to mean, every time you visit another European country.

Somehow I do not think your 'majority of leavers' would agree with you.

Where did i say that?

How other European countries control their immigration is up to them. I would imagine though, for the sake of their tourist industry and the money it brings in, they would be keen to offer visas on arrival for holidaymakers and short term visitors.

4 minutes ago, rixalex said:

Where did i say that?

How other European countries control their immigration is up to them. I would imagine though, for the sake of their tourist industry and the money it brings in, they would be keen to offer visas on arrival for holidaymakers and short term visitors.

Cherrypicking rules supreme, ok for you but not for them. These days reciprocity is the name of the game.

15 minutes ago, rixalex said:

Where did i say that?

The EU position on visas

MEMO-17-5365_EN.pdf

Brussels, 20 December 2017 European Commission - Fact Sheet

What is the visa reciprocity mechanism?

Visa reciprocity is a central principle of the EU's common visa policy and an objective which the Union pursues in a proactive manner in its relations with non-EU countries. This principle means that the EU, when deciding on lifting the visa requirement for citizens of a non-EU country, takes into consideration whether that non-EU country reciprocally grants visa waiver to nationals of all Member States (except the UK and Ireland who do not participate in the common visa policy) to every non-EU country whose citizens can travel to the EU/Schengen area without a visa. The current visa reciprocity mechanism is established by Regulation (EU) 1289/2013 and entered into force in January 2014. It foresees that if a visa-free non-EU country has not lifted the visa requirement for all EU citizens within 24 months of the publication date of a Member State's notification of nonreciprocity (in the present case by 12 April 2016), the Commission, taking into account the consequences of the suspension of the visa waiver for the external relations of the EU and its Member States, can temporarily suspend the visa waiver for 12 months for nationals of that country. The EU has a common list of countries whose citizens must have a visa and of countries whose citizens are exempt from that requirement (see Council Regulation (EC) No 539/2001).

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Cherrypicking rules supreme, ok for you but not for them. These days reciprocity is the name of the game.

What are making up me to have stated now? That Britain will not have any provision in its immigration arrangements for tourists, travellers and holidaymakers? Of course it would.

What part of "controlled immigration" is it that you don't understand? The beauty of it, is that you control it.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

well

I am quite comfortable that reciprocity is not the general rule

very easy for me to travel to Thailand and get established

for Thais wishing to establish themselves in my country, NOT easy

well

well

10 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I'm stepping away from Brexit threads as they're going nowhere. Has the annual serial posters love in started yet? If yes I'll avoid that too ????

Merry Christmas all.

+

the threads keep pace with Brexit, also going nowhere

56 minutes ago, i claudius said:

Keep em coming, honestly dont think much of her ,or any of them ,but The thought of the likes of Corbyn and Abbott in power really frightens me.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Give it a rest will you: it's the same old vacuous trope.  How about concentrating on this rotten Government.  Probably the worst ever.

Give it a rest will you: it's the same old vacuous trope.  How about concentrating on this rotten Government.  Probably the worst ever.
I agree they are poo and up to their waist in it ,but ,A Corbyn led govt would be poo not only over our heads but so high we could never climb out.

I agree they are poo and up to their waist in it ,but ,A Corbyn led govt would be poo not only over our heads but so high we could never climb out.

37 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It is probably his opinion which is just as valid as yours.

If you don't like it then just ignore it and pass along without comment.

I do that with many posts, as I read the post then the posters name and think to myself, it's that idiot again, and ignore it.

4 hours ago, rixalex said:

Quite the reverse. It's you doing the usual remainer trick of rather than arguing against what the vast majority of leavers are calling for (a controlled immigration policy), arguing against something virtually no leaver is calling for (a North Korea style immigration policy, in which no immigrants whatsoever are allowed in).

All part of the ongoing propaganda campaign to try to discredit and smear the other side of the debate by making them out to be extreme, far-right, anti-foreign, small-minded, bigots.

Except, of course, I made no such argument; nor will I ever do so. I am a believer in free movement.

Here is the relevant part of my original post in full:

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:52 PM, 7by7 said:

A Norway, no plus, deal, i.e leaving the EU but remaining in the EEA, means still accepting and abiding by the four freedoms: the free movement of goods, services, capital and people. Which will upset many of those who voted leave in 2016; especially those who voted leave to stop immigration from the EU.

'Especially those who' not 'all' as you are trying to convince people I said.

Yet again, you are ignoring what I actually said in order to put your own spin on it in the hope that people will have forgotten what was originally posted. Not necessarily a typical Brexiteer trick, but certainly one you employ ad nauseum.

Stopping EU immigration was a factor in the decision making of a significant minority of Leave voters; still is for some. I spend my working life travelling all over the UK and talking to people, I watch vox pops on the TV news, local and national, such as one yesterday when some voiced that exact opinion.

But maybe you know more about ordinary people's views in the UK perched on your barstool 6000 miles away than I here in the UK! 

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Except, of course, I made no such argument; nor will I ever do so. I am a believer in free movement.

Here is the relevant part of my original post in full:

'Especially those who' not 'all' as you are trying to convince people I said.

Yet again, you are ignoring what I actually said in order to put your own spin on it in the hope that people will have forgotten what was originally posted. Not necessarily a typical Brexiteer trick, but certainly one you employ ad nauseum.

Stopping EU immigration was a factor in the decision making of a significant minority of Leave voters; still is for some. I spend my working life travelling all over the UK and talking to people, I watch vox pops on the TV news, local and national, such as one yesterday when some voiced that exact opinion.

But maybe you know more about ordinary people's views in the UK perched on your barstool 6000 miles away than I here in the UK! 

I am not ignoring what you said. You are the one either ignoring or not reading what i am saying.

Anyway, we've been round in circles on this more than enough times, going nowhere, and if it's got to the stage in the debate where the barstool accusation gets thrown in for good measure, something i really didn't expect from you, i'll leave it at that.

3 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

well

That may well be the case but the point in question was regarding the EU position which is laid out in MEMO-17-5365_EN.pdf.

Archived